USC/UCLA supposedly moving to Big Ten

83,105 Views | 746 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Dog
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

i hope that this is not true or means on a VERY temporary basis. I find it hard to believe B10 doesnt want Oregon at least
sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

HateRed said:

Quit being stupid about the possibilities for Cal. Post what would be the best scenario for us. My opinion, stated before, is that Cal and Stanford are dead if they don't follow USC and UCLA.

I was posting about the possibilities before, but the fact that this has been so definitively announced by everyone and nothing from Cal and Stanford makes me pessimistic. This probably means the UC regents are fine with it and the LA schools are not interested in bringing the Bay Area schools along.

But we'll see.
Well the BI article is suggesting a merger with some of the Big 12 schools. Think about what people said about those conference leftovers last year.

If Cal winds up playing a schedule mostly filled with Big 12 teams and not USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington, I'm not interested. It's hard to see much of our dwindling fan base being interested either.
eastcoastcal
sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

HateRed said:

Quit being stupid about the possibilities for Cal. Post what would be the best scenario for us. My opinion, stated before, is that Cal and Stanford are dead if they don't follow USC and UCLA.

I was posting about the possibilities before, but the fact that this has been so definitively announced by everyone and nothing from Cal and Stanford makes me pessimistic. This probably means the UC regents are fine with it and the LA schools are not interested in bringing the Bay Area schools along.

But we'll see.
Well the BI article is suggesting a merger with some of the Big 12 schools. Think about what people said about those conference leftovers last year.

If Cal winds up playing a schedule mostly filled with Big 12 teams and not USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington, I'm not interested. It's hard to see much of our dwindling fan base being interested either.
i can't imagine most of my friends & classmates going to games then. already they mostly only care about usc/ucla/furd/oregon. if those go, its curtains for student attendance
DiabloWags
Can you say Water Polo?
wifeisafurd
eastcoastcal said:

okaydo said:

i hope that this is not true or means on a VERY temporary basis. I find it hard to believe B10 doesnt want Oregon at least
Somebody should have told Washington and Oregon, since it is confirmed they put in joint applications.
annarborbear
That USC statement about "enhanced transportation resources" in and out of the Big Ten Midwestern college towns and to and from Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State is an absolute joke, especially during the winter time. More West Coast schools are simply going to have to be added.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

HateRed said:

But we'll see.

You and everyone else.
BearSD
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but:

I don't look down on Big 12 schools, but I see no value in being conference mates with them. To me, playing Kansas State or Texas Tech every year would not be more appealing than playing San Diego State or UNLV.
eastcoastcal

WELP
Golden One
Bear_Territory said:

Has Cal submitted its application to the B1G yet?
Christ and Knowlton are probably trying to figure out what the Big 10 is.
goldenchild
The other reason I suspect Cal is being considered here from a system point of view is that the UC President is the former President of Ohio State and is VERY familiar with the ins and outs of college athletics and the BIG10
Econ141
eastcoastcal said:

WELP

Update: Knowlton and Christ just got wind of the pending moves. They blame COVID and will hire a search form to find a conference they can join. They are holding out hope for joining the WAC.
sycasey
eastcoastcal said:

WELP

This is directly at odds with what the LA Times guy said, so I'm a bit skeptical.
Unit2Sucks
Golden One said:

Bear_Territory said:

Has Cal submitted its application to the B1G yet?
Christ and Knowlton are probably trying to figure out what the Big 10 is.
It's easy if you ignore common sense.

The Big 12 has 8 schools (or maybe 12 if you count incoming net of outgoing).

The Pac-12 has 12 schools (or maybe 10, and may have fewer by the end of the week).

The Big 10 has 14 schools (or maybe 16 if you count the socal schools and maybe more by the end of the wek).
Golden One
GivemTheAxe said:

wifeisafurd said:

Any chance California pulls a Texas Legislature and demands other two California teams be taken along?

Good concept.
The CA legislature controls the UC System and can preempt the Regents as evidenced by the Legislature's efforts to compel Cal to increase the number of entering Freshmen .
It can probably take steps to prevent UCLA from joining the BIG10 by playing hard ball.
The California legislature doesn't give a damn about football, basketball, or any other athletic program. Don't look for them to help Cal at all.
ducky23
eastcoastcal said:

WELP

I mean, of course. Looking at this objectively, of course you're going to take Oregon/Washington over Stanford/cal.

The only way cal had a chance was if the regents stepped in and protected their own interests.

But does anyone here think that the regents has any understating at all about how sports or money works?

75bear
okaydo said:

It doesn't bode well for us when we're considered the "etc."
Golden One
eastcoastcal said:

I PRAY Cal has gotten in an application to the B10. My question is- is the application process extensive? Does it require a lot of prep & approvals from the university? In which case, how did Oregon & UW apply within like 6 hours? DId they know beforehand?
If it took Oregon and Washington 6 hours, it would take Cal 6 months, given the bureauracy that is Cal.
LunchTime
DiabloWags said:

Can you say Water Polo?

The Pac12 should tell their teams staying behind to get ****ed. Go fly to the east coast to play.
Econ141
Golden One said:

GivemTheAxe said:

wifeisafurd said:

Any chance California pulls a Texas Legislature and demands other two California teams be taken along?

Good concept.
The CA legislature controls the UC System and can preempt the Regents as evidenced by the Legislature's efforts to compel Cal to increase the number of entering Freshmen .
It can probably take steps to prevent UCLA from joining the BIG10 by playing hard ball.
The California legislature doesn't give a damn about football, basketball, or any other athletic program. Don't look for them to help Cal at all.

Why the hell would anyone help cal outside of us 12 fans? This all blows!!
Golden One
fat_slice said:

Golden One said:

GivemTheAxe said:

wifeisafurd said:

Good concept.

Why the hell would anyone help cal outside of us 12 fans? This all blows!!
I think it's down to 10 now.
GoBears89
I blame Larry Scott!!
Unit2Sucks
GoBears89 said:

I blame Larry Scott!!
His failure on the network front quite literally is the reason this is happening. There was an arms race in college sports and he lost.

I think it's still an open question as to whether winning was worth it. I think a lot of people agree with my that college sports have drastically changed and no longer captivate the interest they way they did years ago but we're never going back to that era.
Econ141
Unit2Sucks said:

GoBears89 said:

I blame Larry Scott!!
His failure on the network front quite literally is the reason this is happening. There was an arms race in college sports and he lost.

I think it's still an open question as to whether winning was worth it. I think a lot of people agree with my that college sports have drastically changed and no longer captivate the interest they way they did years ago but we're never going back to that era.

The interest is still there that's why there are $100mm deals being made. We got left behind because our admin sucks. If we were part of this deal, you would be hailing this as the right thing to do and that we will finally be playing big boy football.
calumnus
fat_slice said:

eastcoastcal said:

WELP

Update: Knowlton and Christ just got wind of the pending moves. They blame COVID and will hire a search form to find a conference they can join. They are holding out hope for joining the WAC.

As I have said many times, Knowlton was a disastrous hire for Cal at this critical period in college sports. We will be lucky if we have an athletics program in 2030 when his contract is up.
westcoast101
This sucks, but I just can't get too worked up about what affects Cal athletics anymore given the many years of disappointment. My time/care/attendance has been slowly transitioning toward Giants/Warriors/Niners in recent years.
mouseandcat
hear me out.

cal and furd, along with the schools in arizona, washington, oregon, utah/colorado join the big 10. they could form the Big10 - Pacific Division.

here's where it gets a bit crazy: they could come to sunny LA for their conference championship game.
Larno
fat_slice said:

bluehenbear said:

Meanwhile our AD has his thumb up his bum and is hiring law firms. When will we hear from him about this or does he need to hire a PR firm first.

Knowlton has been twiddling his thumbs ever since he got here. 100% he got blindsided by this and we are now seeing the end of Cal football. Interest in the upcoming season is now lost for me.

What a waste of space Knowlton and Christ are. Never heard one iota of innovative or proactive thinking from their end. Always reactionary and their reactive decisions have been absolutely poor with their only impact to further lower our reputation.
All of the AD's and the conference were blindsided by this. Christ has been more supportive of Cal athletics than any chancellor in decades. I have no knowledge of what goes on in the AD's office, as I suspect is the case for 99.8% of Bear Insider posters.
Unit2Sucks
fat_slice said:

Unit2Sucks said:

GoBears89 said:

I blame Larry Scott!!

The interest is still there that's why there are $100mm deals being made. We got left behind because our admin sucks. If we were part of this deal, you would be hailing this as the right thing to do and that we will finally be playing big boy football.
Eh, not sure there is any world where I would find disbanding the Pac better than what we used to have when the Rose Bowl was a meaningful goal.

Joining the Big whatever it is would be better than remaining with the deprecated Pac, but not as good as the old Pac-12. And the NIL plus transfer portal has significantly changed my perception of college football, and not for the better.

Count me as one of those people who think we are well beyond peak college football with no return in sight. Really hard for me to find reasons to care about college sports more broadly. When I was younger I wouldn't have thought that possible.
westcoast101
Probably too late now (of course) with the Big 12 move, but adding BYU would have made a ton of sense…
calumnus
mouseandcat said:

hear me out.

cal and furd, along with the schools in arizona, washington, oregon, utah/colorado join the big 10. they could form the Big10 - Pacific Division.

here's where it gets a bit crazy: they could come to sunny LA for their conference championship game.

Do you mean Big 12? Why would the leftovers form the Big 10 Pacific Division without UCLA and USC? Why not just merge the two conferences instead?
movielover
Alleged $$$ at play:

$21 Million per school - current Pac 12 deal

$50 Million per school - projected future Pac 12 deal (before today)

$100 Million per school - new Big Ten estimate; Apple now trying to get back into the bidding?

So the Olympic sports are going to be flying 2,500 miles for games? Any semblance of student-athlete is gone.
Boot
This weekend on the Big10 network FUCLA vs Purdue in water polo.
Econ141
I feel bad for Wilcox - turned the Oregon job down and now he's stuck in piddly-dink pac-10 (or 8). He will def leave after this year.
DiabloWags
The Clowns that passed on the 12 team playoff, no longer have a seat at the table.

That's why we're here.

The League's are now dictating the RULES.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.