USC/UCLA supposedly moving to Big Ten

83,131 Views | 746 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Dog
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

Rushinbear said:

movielover said:

The long term trend is soccer.
Show me the soccer player who doesn't want to pick it up and run with it.
Show me the soccer player who wants to be tackled and driven into the ground head-first by a player who weighs 100 pounds more than he does.

No one thinks he'll tackled...ever. However, a good many of them, once feeling the hit for the first time, will get up and decide that it felt pretty good.
okaydo
movielover said:

If you're gonna go down that road, how about the more innocent explanation - they enjoy European culture and traditions, and when they pay 20k a year they prefer that most TAs speak understandable English. Not to mention that California is now dirty, last time I was on Telegraph it wasn't appealing (it had gone too far), and the overall crime, filth, and America-is-bad attitude really harshes the buzz on what many seek ... a more innocent college experience.

I last stepped foot in Berkeley shortly before the 4th of July 2016. So I consulted Google Maps and YouTube to see just how far Telegraph has fallen.

And, oh my god, look at this disaster. The streets are filthy, there are drug addicts and homeless people everywhere. No wonder people don't want to come to Berkeley.

okaydo
movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

If you're gonna go down that road, how about the more innocent explanation - they enjoy European culture and traditions, and when they pay 20k a year they prefer that most TAs speak understandable English. Not to mention that California is now dirty, last time I was on Telegraph it wasn't appealing (it had gone too far), and the overall crime, filth, and America-is-bad attitude really harshes the buzz on what many seek ... a more innocent college experience.

LOL european culture and traditions. People don't go to Boulder, Eugene, Tempe or Tucson for european culture. They sure as hell don't go to the Palouse for that (although the cheese is great).

You can call it what you want but I've heard plenty of white people say they didn't want to be a minority. Telegraph has been dirty for a long time and doesn't really seem any worse to me now. I would be surprised if I'm the only person that has this understanding.

I guess I will use this opportunity to give one of my favorite anecdotes on this point. Friend from SD and I walk into a party at Cal. He says to me "dude, we are the only white people here." My friend is south asian (but grew up in SD and considers himself culturally white). I look at him with a "duh" look and he turns back to me and says "dude you're the only white person at this party". We still had a great time there.

I see we're in the shallow end of the pool. You note your own Asian friend being culturally white.

For decades various minority groups have chosen urban and other campuses partly for cultural / ethnic reasons. The easiest examples are nearly 100% historically black colleges and universities.

I have likewise heard many Asian students over the years say they prioritized UCLA and Cal bc of the large Asian student demographics.

I see you're part of the younger demographic playing the white supremascist jargon. Last time I was on Telegraph it was different than 1985.

The idea that girls from the suburbs go to Oregon to get away from Mom and Dad has never surfaced in my circles. Competition and cost have been frequent topics. With the skyrocketing cost of a UC education along with impacted classes (5 yrs to graduate) and housing, going out of state became a realistic option. When I was in HS, they advised students to apply to 3 colleges. Many today apply to 8, 10, or more, so they cast a wide net. Some kids also like to ski, or river raft. A local kid recently chose a southwestern school, and with comparative real estate prices so cheap, the parents bought their child a townhouse.

Wow, you're right. Telegraph looked nice and clean back in the 80s.

I miss the old Telegraph before it recently started looking like a disaster.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Telegraph-Avenue-Merchants-Call-for-Action-2982490.php

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/03/us/fed-up-berkeley-begins-crackdown-on-homeless.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/03/22/archives/new-look-on-telegraph-avenue.html

philly1121
MrGPAC said:

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm somewhat surprised that it was a unanimous decision by the big10 directors. Not a single one of them valued tradition. Not a single one of them valued the Rose Bowl or what it means. Not a single one of them looked at it in the context of the long term health of the sport, or of the promises made when the Alliance was formed.

Every single one of them said, "GIVE ME MORE MONEY NOW!"

They should have known that this is a short term cash grab that will doom the cash cow in the long term. Unless they are already under the impression that NIL is going to kill the sport and we are already on the path of no return, trying to grab every dollar they can before things go tits up, then this is an extremely short sites decision. And I would expect more from at least ONE person in the room.

Guess I'm too nave.

And before anyone else asks, yes, if it has been Cal and Stanford jumping ship to the B1G instead of USC and UCLA I'd be pissed about that too. Yes the money would be great...but tradition is what makes college football great, and this would be a step further than I'd be willing to go. That said, I guess there's a good reason I'm not the one to make the decisions.

I think we look at this trend for what it is - the future. College football devolves towards 3 superconferences and a playoff involving 8-10 teams develops from there. Mid-majors will get their crap bowl games (as if there are any that aren't) and they're happy making the top 25.

Or we, more likely we look at the trends in world football (soccer). We have the Champions League. But that's going to be revamped for a top 16 "league". I think this is what will happen in college football. You're going to have 2-3 conferences with playoff selection based on regular season or "round robin" play.

Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton and perhaps two other bowls rotating into the playoff. This is where I see it going.
cal83dls79
Thanks for sharing. It looks like something finally went in At corner of Haste and Telegraph.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Chapman_is_Gone
The construction of student housing on People's Park, while recently delayed by the courts but still set to begin this summer, should have a positive effect on the Telegraph area. Hopefully, The Man plans ahead and is smart enough to avoid the potential arson/tree sitter/terrorism challenges.

I do wonder, though, with People's Park gone, where I will buy my doses in the future.
Bobodeluxe
Chapman_is_Gone said:

The construction of student housing on People's Park, while recently delayed by the courts but still set to begin this summer, should have a positive effect on the Telegraph area. Hopefully, The Man plans ahead and is smart enough to avoid the potential arson/tree sitter/terrorism challenges.

I do wonder, though, with People's Park gone, where I will buy my doses in the future.
Any red state trailer park.
Trumpanzee
Let's just jump to the SEC......what you have to be invited........
Bobodeluxe
Trumpanzee said:

Let's just jump to the SEC......what you have to be invited........
F' 'em! NFL, OR BUST!
movielover
Let me guess, the ADs and Assoc ADs at both schools will get big raises while Olympic athletes take classes via Zoom from the Marriot on the east coast.
ducky23
movielover said:

Let me guess, the ADs and Assoc ADs at both schools will get big raises while Olympic athletes take classes via Zoom from the Marriot on the east coast.

I mean, way better to be in a nice Marriott on the east coast then wallow in the filth and debris that is California.
Big Dog
movielover said:

pish-posh. Marriotts are for people who fly steerage. The Trojans will be flying their own personal private Gulfstreams and staying at the Riz or Four Seasons.
Big Dog
dupe
BearSD
movielover said:

Might happen that way. Instead of flying back and forth for just a game or two, a volleyball team could play 4 to 6 games on the road in Big Ten country, then fly back to LA to play 4 to 6 at home. Set up "camp" for every extended road trip in someplace like Indianapolis and bus from there to various Big Ten sites.
golden sloth
Hypothetically, let's say Cal does make it into the Big-10. I can't help but think this would lead to an increase in night games, as the eastern and midwestern schools would most likely take the lion's share of daytime timeslots.
golden sloth
okaydo said:

movielover said:

I last stepped foot in Berkeley shortly before the 4th of July 2016. So I consulted Google Maps and YouTube to see just how far Telegraph has fallen.

And, oh my god, look at this disaster. The streets are filthy, there are drug addicts and homeless people everywhere. No wonder people don't want to come to Berkeley.

I was on Shattuck yesterday meeting a friend for gelato. There was one homeless person, but he was passed out and therefore non-threatening and quiet. The bigger nuisances were a flock of pigeons swirling around us (my friend has an irrational fear/hatred of pigeons) and some d-bag yelling into his ear buds so everyone in a half-block radius could hear his phone conversation as he sipped his coffee.
Chabbear
One of the talking heads in LA thought that there would not be any football games that started in LA after 5pm since the Midwest teams would not want to have a 3-4 hour game and then get on a plane. I think he is naive about that since TV rules the time slots but who knows.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

Hypothetically, let's say Cal does make it into the Big-10. I can't help but think this would lead to an increase in night games, as the eastern and midwestern schools would most likely take the lion's share of daytime timeslots.

I love 3:00 pm starts. Morning fog is long gone. Plenty of time to meet in Berkeley and have lunch and drinks before the game while watching football on TV. Can see the Cal Band at Sproul. In your seat by kickoff without stress. Beautiful weather. Game ends in time for hanging out and having dinner and drinks in Berkeley. Oh, and a good slot for TV.
Bobodeluxe
I was drinking a cap!
ColoradoBear
Chabbear said:

One of the talking heads in LA thought that there would not be any football games that started in LA after 5pm since the Midwest teams would not want to have a 3-4 hour game and then get on a plane. I think he is naive about that since TV rules the time slots but who knows.
It's quite possible that a conference could negotiate these things with the TV networks ahead of time, instead of being 'surprised' by the number of night games that were allowed and/or granted to the TV stations.

Plus that's what teams like Cal are for... to play the night games after USC plays prime-time.
Rushinbear
Chabbear said:

No. Actually, the B1G will not allow any conf game to end after 10:30pm their time. That means 4:30 KO time on the coast.
BearSD
The Big Ten might end up with three different TV network partners. They can easily distribute all of their football games in the 9 am, 12:30, and 4:30 TV windows without having UCLA or USC ever play a 7:30 home game.
oskidunker
If everyone else plays during the day, guess when the pac 10 will have to play? Unless we can get Kron to telivise some games.
Go Bears!
okaydo
I keep thinking of the fact that the news was broken at 10:23 a.m. and made official a little over six hours later.

I keep thinking of the strategy behind it.

I think when you have a very controversial decision about to come out, the best media strategy is to leak it early.

Leaking it early puts the idea in people's minds as a likely possibility, but not an official one. So it's taken seriously, but with the idea that it may not ever happen.

So when the actual controversial decision is made official, it's taken as being inevitable and is not as shocking as it would've been. (Yes, I'm also referring to something else that was in the news recently that has been the subject of much conversation.)

Anyways, I think USC, UCLA and the Big Ten members successfully kept this is a secret.

Not totally secret.

And then they knew they had to announce it before the end of June, but they couldn't just announce it because it would be too stunning.

So they leaked it to Wilner to get the college football world used to the idea for about 6 hours (with the possibility that it could be changed). I've read that the rest of the Pac-12 learned about USC and USC bolting from Wilner's tweet.

Leaking it and announcing it within hours of each other ensured that they couldn't be talked out of the deal.

Then they made it official within minutes of each other:

ColoradoBear
Rushinbear said:

Chabbear said:

No. Actually, the B1G will not allow any conf game to end after 10:30pm their time. That means 4:30 KO time on the coast.

Not remotely true - in 2021 I'm counting 17 games that started at 7pm or later local time in the Big Ten.

https://mattsarzsports.com/Contract/GameList/BigTen/2021#.YsNbIGRMHCg

Mich x2 (730pm,8pm)
PSU(730pm ET x2)
tOSU(730pm ET x2)
Purdue (7pm ET)
Indiana (730pm ETx2)
MSU (7pm ET,730pm ET)
Northwestern (8pm CT)
Illinois (8pm CT)
Maryland (8pm ET,730pmET)
Wisconsin (7pmCT)
Minnesota(7pm CT)
Rushinbear
ColoradoBear said:

Rushinbear said:

Chabbear said:

Not remotely true - in 2021 I'm counting 17 games that started at 7pm or later local time in the Big Ten.

https://mattsarzsports.com/Contract/GameList/BigTen/2021#.YsNbIGRMHCg

Mich x2 (730pm,8pm)
PSU(730pm ET x2)
tOSU(730pm ET x2)
Purdue (7pm ET)
Indiana (730pm ETx2)
MSU (7pm ET,730pm ET)
Northwestern (8pm CT)
Illinois (8pm CT)
Maryland (8pm ET,730pmET)
Wisconsin (7pmCT)
Minnesota(7pm CT)
I meant the west coast games, going forward.
HearstMining
Rushinbear said:

movielover said:

I presume you're just yanking people's chain with this ignorant crack but I do share your implied annoyance with those who glorify soccer as the antidote to all that's bad about football. I have two sons who played soccer through high school and into club-level in college. The toll was: one broken foot, two concussions, and three torn ACLs. And having watched a lot of girl's high school soccer, I can assure you that they play nastier than the boys.

The real long-term trend is that ever more obscure sports are promoted to white suburban parents who are desperate to get their kid on a high school team. Lacrosse, rugby (yes, I know Cal dominates here), cricket, badminton and if you can believe it, pickleball high school teams exist. I'm sure lawn bowling can't be far behind. I'm all for kids participating in any sport, but that's not what this is about. Even as no-cut sports like cross-country languish, these sports that require expensive coaching, equipment, venues, etc are a way that kids can make a team and put something unique on a college application.
movielover
LA Times: Opinion: USC and UCLA won ugly when they defected to the Big Ten

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-07-07/usc-ucla-pac-12-big-10-conference-student-athletes
movielover
Bruin factors:

Sports Illustrated: UCLA Was in 'Significant Debt' Before Big Ten Move, Athletic Director Says

"According to the L.A. Times, the athletic department accrued $102.8 million in debt in the last three fiscal years. Over that timespan, payouts from the Pac-12 were much smaller than those from some of the top Power 5 conference like the Big Ten. Additionally, the Bruins' football team continued to see a decrease in attendance numbers."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/05/ucla-significant-debt-before-big-ten-move-martin-jarmond-says

Outkick: COVID LEFT US IN HUGE DEBT! UCLA EXPLAINS ITS MOVE TO B1G

"UCLA athletic director Marin Jarmond says it was either jumping off the Pac-12's sinking ship or the Olympic sports at the school would get whacked...."

"As we sit here thinking about how all this played out, it's not out crazy to think that COVID and politicians killed off the Pac-12 Conference. Gavin Newsom will be an accessory. Failed conference commissioner Larry Scott also played a part in killing the once-great conference with his TV network that didn't air a live game in a shortened 2020 season."

And HC Chip Kelly has the Bruins eating like kings... grass-fed flank steak, seared snapper, ...

https://www.outkick.com/covid-left-us-in-huge-debt-ucla-explains-its-move-to-b1g/

Daily Bruin

"...UCLA is not blameless in its financial shortcomings. Comparable Pac-12 schools such as California profited even amid the pandemic."

... five straight losing seasons ...

https://dailybruin.com/2022/07/01/christon-chronicles-big-ten-membership-may-not-mitigate-all-of-ucla-athletics-financial-challenges

dimitrig
movielover said:

LA Times: Opinion: USC and UCLA won ugly when they defected to the Big Ten

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-07-07/usc-ucla-pac-12-big-10-conference-student-athletes

This opinion was written by a UCLA grad.

He cites Wilner as claiming football at Cal and Stanford will die as a result:

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News, who first reported the conference-switch story, says he thinks it's the beginning of the end for major college football programs at Cal and Stanford in the Bay Area. "Fox and ESPN will pay for the football programs that generate ratings and are most likely to land in prime TV windows," Wilner said in a Q and A published in the Mercury News. "Neither Bay Area team clears those bars."

On schools treating athletes like employees:

"There's no chance Stanford would ever do that, and we doubt Cal would take the plunge. On both campuses, the faculty would revolt like it's Paris in 1789."

"And what does that tell us about USC and UCLA?"

Rushinbear
HearstMining said:

Rushinbear said:

movielover said:

I presume you're just yanking people's chain with this ignorant crack but I do share your implied annoyance with those who glorify soccer as the antidote to all that's bad about football. I have two sons who played soccer through high school and into club-level in college. The toll was: one broken foot, two concussions, and three torn ACLs. And having watched a lot of girl's high school soccer, I can assure you that they play nastier than the boys.

The real long-term trend is that ever more obscure sports are promoted to white suburban parents who are desperate to get their kid on a high school team. Lacrosse, rugby (yes, I know Cal dominates here), cricket, badminton and if you can believe it, pickleball high school teams exist. I'm sure lawn bowling can't be far behind. I'm all for kids participating in any sport, but that's not what this is about. Even as no-cut sports like cross-country languish, these sports that require expensive coaching, equipment, venues, etc are a way that kids can make a team and put something unique on a college application.
I have asked before how you can claim that a sport is the most important when it doesn't test the most important skill - hand/eye coordination?

It should be clear to all by now that the proliferation of non-rev sports in college is to give schollie ops for hs kids with less robust skills and dedication. Translated: suburban kids. I'll bet there are hs curling teams in the upper midwest. Any college curling teams? Bet there are.
DiabloWags
Rushinbear said:

It should be clear to all by now that the proliferation of non-rev sports in college is to give schollie ops for hs kids with less robust skills and dedication. Translated: suburban kids. I'll bet there are hs curling teams in the upper midwest. Any college curling teams? Bet there are.

Of course there are!
There are also College BOWLING TEAMS too.

College Bowling - Home | NCAA.com

College Curling USA - Wikipedia
maxer
Rushinbear said:

I have asked before how you can claim that a sport is the most important when it doesn't test the most important skill - hand/eye coordination?
This is an odd metric to use, but I'l counter with another -- soccer is far and away the most popular sport in the entire world.

If hand/eye coordination was the most important thing about a sport, why isn't there, I don't know, competitive Jenga?

Bobodeluxe
Tiddlywinks and golf, in that order.
Rushinbear
maxer said:

Rushinbear said:

This is an odd metric to use, but I'l counter with another -- soccer is far and away the most popular sport in the entire world.

If hand/eye coordination was the most important thing about a sport, why isn't there, I don't know, competitive Jenga?

I'll grant you most popular, largely due to no cost and no land requirements (kids can play in the street).

Hand/eye is the most important ability in human life, not just sports.Sports are just the representation of life.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.