cal's monster offensive line

1,384,339 Views | 9339 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by Shocky1
AZ Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky said:
"reality is that nando is gonna be qb1 for the next 3 & a half seasons in berkeley (zero chance he's gonna transfer/flunk out), looking forward to seeing his continued exuberant development"

Nando was far from perfect today but he did a lot of good things and showed a lot of potential. I, too, am excited to see him develop and improve and I'd love it if he can be our guy going forward.

I'm not so sure as Shocky that he'll be QB1 the next 3 years...I think the coaching staff needs to spend NIL $ to bring in another good portal QB next year (I would let Ben exercise his right as a grad to transfer. Sam probably stays out of necessity, or maybe he decides to move on and sit out somewhere else next year).

A good team needs several highly promising QBs in the program at any one time, and hopefully at least one of them is nearly fully developed at any one time.

Right now we have, arguably, two promising QBS in the program (not sure how many are highly promising...maybe one?) and none of them are nearly fully developed. I know we have current high schooler EJ Caminong signed to enroll next year. That's a nice start. In my opinion we need to bring in at least one portal transfer, and I think we need to spend significant NIL to do it. And while we're planning our future, let's spend the money to have that transfer QB be highly promising, someone who can push Mendoza, or maybe even beat out Mendoza....at least someone who might be able to start if Mendoza gets banged up or doesn't develop as quickly as we need.

I love watching Mendoza but Cal needs to make QB a much higher priority....or more accurately, needs to succeed a lot more in getting effective QBs into the program and ready to contribute.

When I watched Nix vs. Penix in the OU vs. UW game today, I was just struck by how they are on such a higher level from where our QB play is. If we had either of those guys we would be a ranked team right now, IMO. So we need to keep striving to hit gold on QBs...high school recruits, portal transfers, development of Mendoza, and yes, development of Sam Jackson. We need multiple irons in the fire.

We got other issues too but we need to keep throwing resources at QB until we find The Guy, and even then we need to keep recruiting and developing to find his backup and eventual replacement. No more seasons lost because we didn't have a good QB ready to contribute!
HoopDreams

6956bear
Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Defense has major injury bug. It is going to get ugly for awhile.
understood, football is a violent sport & all teams get injuries that necessitate the development of the depth chart for starting snaps...reality is that the utes got more injuries than the bears
And using the personnel better. The 2 RBs that took the Bears apart yesterday came to Utah as a DB and a QB. Jackson was a QB that was converted to Rb last season. Vaki is a starting DB and did double duty yesterday. Whittinghham does what he needs to do to try and win.

Utah was missing their multi year starting QB. They were missing All American TE Brant Kuithe and his backup. WR Mycah Pittman and several other contributing players. Yet they still won the game quite easily.

Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

shriners las vegas pga tournament update: california golden bears michael kim & james hahn made the cut for the weekend with -3 totals, elvis did not make the cut primarily because he's dead

leaving las vegas#
shriners pga update: michael kim (playing next week at the zozo in japan next week with colin morikawa & rickie fowler, max homa still staying home/putting up shelves & **** in his new home in the arcadia district) finished the tournament 15 under par with a strong tied for 18th finish after 2 six under par 65s

michael's putting right now es en fuego & if he can just tighten up his driving accuracy (only hit 30 of 56 fairways at the shriners) he will be legit contender at the zozo

elvis?

he's still wandering around like a dumb azz in the rain or something
Shocky1

this saturday morning shocky went to courtney's fun outfield yoga event (she wuz truly in her element) at the salt river fields (spring training home of the dbacks or something)
https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17898123008810124/

the following is a loose transcript of my sorta telepathic conversation afterwards at the tree fort with my doggys when i walked into the kitchen with my golden bear blue yoga mat & sandals with major grass clippings on the way to dropping them in the pool for a little cleaning

benji (see foto above, he's 100% like his human shocky, both annoying as **** & loveable): hey, slow down there big guy, what's up with the grass clippings?...did you go on a lucky leash hike without us?...did you get lost?

shocky: benji, this morning's yoga class wuz for humans, not doggys, sorry

benji (sniffing everything like a maniac): what, i don't believe you...who would not wanna include me?...plus this grass is very suspicious with its high fertilizer content and no doggy pee smells, is this grass from uranus or something?

beauty (benji's tiny black furball sister, just rescued/adopted her, couldn't split them up forever): relax benji, daddy can take us for a walk now before his bears game

misty mae (an oldy but goody): hey, stella & mugsy (the cats) ate part of my breakfast!

shocky: ay caramba, where's the lucky leashes?

who saved who?#

Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

fun cal's monster class contest:

can u name the happiest creature on planet earth???

contest rules: winner be awarded a dinner reservation for 2 with the monster at cipriani in either miami or new york city, offer is inclusive of desert (as long as its shared & got chocolate)...no advance purchase is necessary for participation in this contest...all rules & regulations can be capriciously changed at a moment's notice with no advance notice...mark fox is not eligible for this contest

fernando mendoza (notice the doggy pat at the 3 second mark & the friendly conversation attempt with a curvy brunette yoga female at the 1 minute 33 second mark)

shocky aka the yoga dumb azz
https://instagr.am/p/CvWU2gXp3hY
surfer cajon box drummer dude (far left in the below video)

blaze the mixed mutt rescue doggy (rip)

b kind in ur thoughts (+ doggys 2)#
and the winner of the contest is....drumroll.........

yeah my doggy benji aka scrappy doo is the happiest creature on planet earth!!!

when i brought home (finally from the rescue facility) his little sister beauty, benji did the happy dance with her when his sis came in the garage door into the tree fort to her forever home but then he had the presence of mind to run over to me, look me straight in the eyes & lick all the salt off my face

benji's kinda thoughtful that way

and the runner up is....nando

the 2023 cal football team does not play loose & to a certain extent that's a reflection of their low key head coach who is not really wired to be an emotional leader...mi amigo mendozia brings an unapologetically joyous outlook on life to this team at the #1 ranked public university in the world...ben & sam r great guys but a lot quieter than the fiery nando who naturally lifts his teammates into biscayne bay
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CxLukAWP7vg
national golf week collegiate men's golf rankings:

the bears making a move from #31 last week up to #22 this week

https://instagr.am/p/CyQ6m2sLT6a
cal is a golf & yoga/meditation school#
Shocky1

berkeley is the epicenter of planet earth for really smart people that go to SPACE & **** like that

don't be a dumb azz (better to palm a tight azz)#
Shocky1
if spav cannot figure out that the pitch out (and also fake pitch out) to jaydn ott in open SPACE on the edge is the bears most effective offensive play call, then we r ******
Alkiadt
Shocky1 said:

if spav cannot figure out that the pitch out (and also fake pitch out) to jaydn ott in open SPACE on the edge is the bears most effective offensive play call, then we r ******

I'm sure he's figured that out.
It's up to his inexperienced quarterback(s) to execute those plays….and they haven't for the most part.
Duh.
sonofabear51
Then F!@#ing do it!!!! JHC!!!!!!!
Shocky1
Alkiadt said:

Shocky1 said:

It's up to his inexperienced quarterback(s) to execute those plays….and they haven't for the most part.
Duh.
alky, luv u man but now is not the time to be a spav apologist

the pitch outs (and fake pitch outs) to jaydn ott are averaging 10+ yards a play in this 2023 season

there are ZERO plays in the bears playbook that are even remotely close to being as effective in yards gained

this has nothing to do with the experience levels of the qbs, it's a simple pitch out that junior varsity qbs cleanly execute every week in high school football, ok?

the utes started a converted safety who got practice reps at running back for a week learning ludwig's playbook that then gouged the bears d for 158 yards, experience didn't seem to matter to him

amigo, this really isn't that complicated...javid best rushed for 1000+ yards in pitchouts & if the cal playbook isn't adjusted to give jaydn ott pitchouts in SPACE during the remaining games of this season our all american candidate will not return to berkeley in 2024 for his final year season of collegiate ball

aristotle needs to get off his azz & demand that his future nfl running back be given the ball in SPACE
calumnus
Shocky1 said:

Alkiadt said:

Shocky1 said:

Duh.

the pitch outs (and fake pitch outs) to jaydn ott are averaging 10+ yards a play in this 2023 season

there are ZERO plays in the bears playbook that are even remotely close to being as effective in yards gained

this has nothing to do with the experience levels of the qbs, it's a simple pitch out that junior varsity qbs cleanly execute every week in high school football, ok?

the utes started a converted safety who got practice reps at running back for a week learning ludwig's playbook that then gouged the bears d for 158 yards, experience didn't seem to matter to him

amigo, this really isn't that complicated...javid best rushed for 1000+ yards in pitchouts & if the cal playbook isn't adjusted to give jaydn ott pitchouts in SPACE during the remaining games of this season our all american candidate will not return to berkeley in 2024 for his final year season of collegiate ball

aristotle needs to get off his azz & demand that his future nfl running back be given the ball in SPACE

Shocky, agree 100% that we should be getting the ball to Ott outside on pitches and that is on Spav the play caller, not on the quarterbacks. However, we did not do it very often with Best either, though it nearly almost went hit a TD when we would. Most of the time we ran Best between the tackles, though his highlight runs were often when he would bounce to the outside. So yes, he got 1,000+ yards, but if we made the pitch our bread and butter he would have had a shot at 3,000 yards.

Here is a memorable game against UW
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

Alkiadt said:

Shocky1 said:

Duh.

Personal opinion. Ott may not return regardless of play selection. He will be coveted by big programs. I would be very surprised if he has not been getting calls through backchannels already.
Shocky1

^ 6956, the following is a fact not a personal opinion: last offseason ott received unsolicited illegal nil offers from usc (one more reason the oppenheimer game is gonna be a nuclear environment) & a sec powerhouse national contender that wuz almost double his current cal nil package...jaydn luvs his teammates, the staff & the berkeley education but if spav can't figure out how to play call multiple pitch outs every game & scheme his future nfl running back in SPACE we r gonna be ******

another fact: the bears are averaging 10+ yards on pitchouts (and fake pitchouts) this season

jaydn intends to return to berkeley in 2024, the ball is in spav's court

future nfl hall of fame defensive coordinator marv lewis tole me last offseason (when he thought he wuz done at asu when herm got walked to his car only to be later recruited back to the staff by dilly) that cal is "the easiest team in the pac 12 to gameplan against" because of our predictable failure to attack the middle 3rd of the field in the vertical passing game

fact: a wide open jack endries catching the touchdown on the skinny post pattern against oregon state with nobody within 20 yards of him is available in every game

and that's 100% played out that way this season with the bears not attacking the middle 3rd of the field...once again it's up to the bears to adapt to their predicable tendencies, the ball is in spav's court

winning college football in 2023 requires big strike defensive plays behind the line of scrimmage, when's the last time the bears sent a safety/corner back ala a donnie mcckleskey kinda game changing blitz off the edge?...the shoney's bend but don't break at the waistline d will result in a lot of close losses but not victories, the ball is in sirmon's court

coach wilcox with his patented red faced mini stroke seizure look talks after every loss about how there wuz a "handful of plays" that if we won those matchup & made a play that could've changed the outcome of the game from a loss to a victory

the reality is that these "handful of plays" are made by opposing athletes that are better conditioned/developed to be QUICK TWITCH athletes...the "insiders" on this board (including the owner who is a knowlton apologist) will tell you they need more nil dollars to get an explosive apex predator edge defender (which is a truthful statement) but the reality is that QUICK TWITCH athleticism can be developed thru a s&c program that incorporates yoga into the program

with the full support of former basketball s&c coach nicodemus christopher (we used to do headstand yoga competitions with each other) shocky got jaylen brown into yoga during his time in berkeley...this offseason jaylen signed a nba max contract with the boston celtics for $306,000,000 (it should also be noted that lebron james also got a daily yoga practice as does steve kerr & his golden state warriors)

the significant number of season ending injuries to cal's monster offensive line the last couple years got direct causation with a lack of flexibility (guys moving like granite in slow mo) & QUICK TWITCH movement that can be corrected thru yoga...coach bloesch is the best development coach on the staff & we can safely rely upon him to make the right moves moving forward

i've reached out to cal football's s&c coach brian johnson multiple times re: some thoughts on how to incorporate yoga/meditation into his workouts, he has opted to ignore my emails which is 100% a play out of the knowlton & markeisha playbook in alienating people that can help you

once again the ball is in johnson's court & if nothing changes then we can all expect more wilcox broken down sorry azz non insightful explanations of how we need to make a few more individual plays after another loss

shocky luvs berkeley & has seen the enemy, it is US

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (an an epicenter of worldwide innovation except the football offices at memorial stadium)

oskiswifeshusband
Shocky Cal needs a new S&C coach and new Defensive staff. And probably a new OC. And wait, probably a new HC.

Shocky for Cal HC? And Yoga brunettes for recruiters?

Who needs NIL anyways.
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

^ 6956, the following is a fact not a personal opinion: last offseason ott received unsolicited illegal nil offers from usc (one more reason the oppenheimer game is gonna be a nuclear environment) & a sec powerhouse national contender that wuz almost double his current cal nil package...jaydn luvs his teammates, the staff & the berkeley education but if spav can't figure out how to play call multiple pitch outs every game & scheme his future nfl running back in SPACE we r gonna be ******

another fact: the bears are averaging 10+ yards on pitchouts (and fake pitchouts) this season

jaydn intends to return to berkeley in 2024, the ball is in spav's court

future nfl hall of fame defensive coordinator marv lewis tole me last offseason (when he thought he wuz done at asu when herm got walked to his car only to be later recruited back to the staff by dilly) that cal is "the easiest team in the pac 12 to gameplan against" because of our predictable failure to attack the middle 3rd of the field in the vertical passing game

fact: a wide open jack endries catching the touchdown on the skinny post pattern against oregon state with nobody within 20 yards of him is available in every game

and that's 100% played out that way this season with the bears not attacking the middle 3rd of the field...once again it's up to the bears to adapt to their predicable tendencies, the ball is in spav's court

winning college football in 2023 requires big strike defensive plays behind the line of scrimmage, when's the last time the bears sent a safety/corner back ala a donnie mcckleskey kinda game changing blitz off the edge?...the shoney's bend but don't break at the waistline d will result in a lot of close losses but not victories, the ball is in sirmon's court

coach wilcox with his patented red faced mini stroke seizure look talks after every loss about how there wuz a "handful of plays" that if we won those matchup & made a play that could've changed the outcome of the game from a loss to a victory

the reality is that these "handful of plays" are made by opposing athletes that are better conditioned/developed to be QUICK TWITCH athletes...the "insiders" on this board (including the owner who is a knowlton apologist) will tell you they need more nil dollars to get an explosive apex predator edge defender (which is a truthful statement) but the reality is that QUICK TWITCH athleticism can be developed thru a s&c program that incorporates yoga into the program

with the full support of former basketball s&c coach nicodemus christopher (we used to do headstand yoga competitions with each other) shocky got jaylen brown into yoga during his time in berkeley...this offseason jaylen signed a nba max contract with the boston celtics for $306,000,000 (it should also be noted that lebron james also got a daily yoga practice as does steve kerr & his golden state warriors)

the significant number of season ending injuries to cal's monster offensive line the last couple years got direct causation with a lack of flexibility (guys moving like granite in slow mo) & QUICK TWITCH movement that can be corrected thru yoga...coach bloesch is the best development coach on the staff & we can safely rely upon him to make the right moves moving forward

i've reached out to cal football's s&c coach brian johnson multiple times re: some thoughts on how to incorporate yoga/meditation into his workouts, he has opted to ignore my emails which is 100% a play out of the knowlton playbook in alienating people that can help you

once again the ball is in johnson's court & if nothing changes then we can all expect more wilcox broken down sorry azz non insightful explanations of how we need to make a few more individual plays after another loss

shocky luvs berkeley & has seen the enemy, it is US

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (an an epicenter of worldwide innovation except the football offices at memorial stadium)

shocky luvs berkeley & has seen the enemy, it is US.

I agree 100% with this.

There is a point where Ott will weigh his affection for Cal and his teammates vs the NIL $$ and personal opportunities to play for a winning program that may possibly showcase him better. Whether Spavital runs 10 pitchouts a game or never does. That you believe it is up to Spavital suggests to me that it is already a consideration.

The S&C program does not seem to be developing the requisite strength and flexibility required. You are a yoga advocate and that could help some. But recruiting better athletes is likely a quicker fix to the immediate needs. Johnson does what the HC feels is best. If Wilcox wants yoga and green drinks then that is what they will do. Johnson worked at LSU and to my knowledge that has been a program where they play strong defense generally and get guys to the NFL regularly. I think he can build a strong program in S&C. But LSU and most other programs start with a significant advantage. They have better athletes to begin with. And a recruiting program (including NIL $) to acquire players should the ones they have not be good enough. I am all for adding yoga but they need to add better athletes to the roster.

The TD pass to Endries was in the middle 3rd. But really it was more a coverage bust than anything. Mendoza is trying to utilize that area of the field more since his insertion. The deflected interception vs Utah and the seam pass pick vs OSU were middle of field throws. I agree they need to use the entire field but good passes still need to be thrown and the OL need to get those DL hands down on quick throws to the middle third. Too many balls get deflected at the LOS at Cal. Better under Spavital but it is a consistent issue. Garbers had a lot including multiple games with multiple knockdowns. They are throwing more crossing routes and a few short pick routes the past few games. It is changing. Somewhat.

And Wilcox needs to share the blame for individual breakdowns. He is showing an increasing desire to lay everything at the feet of the players. That is a good way to lose the locker room. It is a team deal. And that includes the staff.

This program is in real need of a major reset.
Shocky1

oski'sgirlfriendisadude, the most critical termination is james arthur knowlton to be replaced by andrew mcgraw & that movement gotta lotta supporters these days, u can trust me on this

shocky got zero interest in becoming a hc but would participate in the interview process with the football program's 1st curvy brunette yoga instructor to ensure future QUICK TWITCH athleticism/injury avoidance

the cal football staff including the head coach got upside if they are mentally limitless & adaptive...the ball is in their court

the bye week is not a week to sit on ur ******* azz#
Shocky1
6956, 100% this is a "reset week" in berkeley
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

unfortunately usc & ucla are never gonna schedule us again in football in our lifetimes, west coast rivalries other than the big game are gone for good for financial biz reasons...someone left that cake out in the rain & we'll never have that recipe again...and after all the loves of my life you'll still be the one

october 28th=the oppenheimer game at memorial stadium

https://instagr.am/p/CwNtqagRjoE
https://instagr.am/p/CvVQj-RPjH_
who is cal's most sorry azz fan that's gonna miss the oppenheimer game?

shocky, **** me but my son is getting married in so cal on october 28th

so if u want my 50 yard line perch (1 tix) & parking pass at underhill for FREE & u bleed blue n gold then send me a pm & the monster will get the tix/pass in the us mail to u

the most bitter rivalry game in the history of memorial stadium (theory will only take you so far)#

Shocky1

the oppenheimer game#
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

I hope so. Not sure what you would characterize as a major reset but for me these things are on my list.

Jim Knowlon is fired for cause.

Justin Wilcox decides to step aside for a negotiated buyout.

Carol Christ decides to begin process of reducing/eliminating some sports programs.

All of the above.

Big C
6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

I hope so. Not sure what you would characterize as a major reset but for me these things are on my list.

Carol Christ decides to begin process of reducing/eliminating some sports programs.

All of the above.

An excellent three-point plan! Would also emphasize hiring the right new Chancellor (taking a longer timeline than "reset week").
Econ141
6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

All of the above.

Carol has been sitting on the sidelines since 2019. She already said she is not lifting a single old finger of hers to do what is painfully obvious and cut some sports.
Shocky1

the current plan is for the new berkeley chancellor to be announced in may of 2024, can you even imagine a berkeley chancellor celebrating a cal football victory???

dr adela de la torre (bay area native, 3 berkeley degrees, luvs sports)#
Shocky1

life is not linear (but yoga/meditation helps)#
Alkiadt
Shocky1 said:

Alkiadt said:

Shocky1 said:

Duh.

I never apologized for anything.
I just said our QB's haven't been good at execution or decision making in the rpo situations.
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CydXrY-LAyh
what's for dinner?....dom arigato

collin/kat ln japan (zozo)#
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

life is not linear (but yoga/meditation helps)#

Wow, good for him. Health issues suck. They are difficult when you are retired and your kids are grown. I can only imagine how unbearably stressful and hard they are when you have a young family, are in the middle of your career and are full of dreams and doubts.
Shocky1
6:34 am update from the cal football staff meeting at memorial stadium

https://instagr.am/p/Cx_ZwuBxozg
spav, call the ******* pitchout, ok? (don't be a dumb azz)#
Shocky1

cindo is a fellow haas biz school grad & completing his masters in education at berkeley with a future opportunity to earn a nfl free agency roster/development spot, he represents all the good things about collegiate football

50 year decision (life after football)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the space needle)
Shocky1
^ if cindo and/or mike saffell (also a haas biz ad grad) decides to pursue a longterm coaching profession, they will be the leading candidates in 20+ years to be the california golden bears head football coach...they got all the skillsets (except experience)

future head coaches in training#
Shocky1

max is a good boy, such a good boy, roll over max!#
Shocky1

near perfect opening nine for collin with 5 birdies & a 3 putt par on the 608 yard par 5 14th hole (started on the back nine) after reaching the green in 2 booming shots

the bullet train (in toyko)#
Shocky1

tiger moms (collin, rickie, xander & shocky got japanese blood)#
https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/daily-wrapup/2023/10/19/collin-morikawa-leads-zozo-championship-tokyo-japan-accordia-national-xander-schauffele-joel-dahmen-rickie-fowler-hideki-matsuyama
First Page Last Page
Page 164 of 267

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.