cal's monster offensive line

1,618,348 Views | 10262 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by Shocky1
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
understood sycasey, playing notre dame in the future is a good thing but not in 2024

we need another winnable game to achieve 3 & maybe 4 non conference victories

and as the 2023 season is revealing, we don't got enuf quality depth in the program, a brutal pre season game with potential injuries agains the irish is not what this program needs, we need a blowout game with the starters getting rest & back ups getting much needed gameday development reps

of course the con artist don't understand this or really much of anything at all (other than his monthly checking of his bank account deposits)

a-c-c-d sec scheduling formula (is gonna be necessary in 2024)#
Alkiadt
philbert said:

sycasey said:

philbert said:

Shocky1 said:

multiple sources have tole me that knowlton is not fully comprehending the need for bowl eligibility victories & is lobbying for a game with notre dame for the 4th still to be determined out of conference game
Historically, ND has only come to CA once a year, rotating between Furd and $C. They're already going to $C next year. I'd be surprised if they'd agree to another CA trip. That means Cal would likely have to travel to ND. That would be idiotic and JK should be fired on the spot.

As new members of the ACC, Cal will be added to ND's regular rotation. If they maintain the USC and Stanford series they'd sometimes have an extra CA trip per year.
Is this inside information that ND is adding Cal to their regular rotation of opponents? ND is not an official member of the ACC in FB. They just have an agreement to play some FB games with ACC opponents every season (~4-5 games/season).

I know there are rumors about Cal becoming a semi-regular opponent of ND but I think it's more likely starting in 2025.

All ACC teams are in the ND rotation sooner or later. Cal will play them at some point in the coming seasons. TBD.
HoopDreams
Shocky1 said:

physical downfield block by brian hightower springs the td

pound for ground (behind the steadily developing cal's monster offensive line)#
put that on a loop!

Shocky1

congrats to coach taylor (a classy berkeley grad) on winning his 2nd game of the 2023 season as the 4.2 gpa stanford cardinals honor rolled 10-7 the 2.4 gpa washington state cougars in the battle of the smart azzs vs the dumb azzs

make no mistake about it the cougs qb cameron ward is talented

but how bad is the 2024 cougs offensive line?

it's reminiscent of the 2023 bears scary azz offensive line which wuz lousy as ****

the cougs rushed for 4 yards tonite, zero holes by the worst o-line in the pac 12

if coach sirmon can't figure out how to dial up pressure against this one dimensional opponent next saturday at 1:00 pm at memorial stadium we r ****** up kinda like the drunk azz mr popcorn man, got it?
Shocky1
benji thinks usc losing tonite is kinda like daddy forgetting that his sourdough world ham & turkey with lite mayonnaise & a splash of oregano sandwich is unattended on a low level chair in the kitchen

gulp#

https://instagr.am/p/Cxs4K27uCYE
Shocky1
alky, do us all a favor when u see the smirking con artist at the basketball game on monday & plz let him know that the cal fanbase & staff don't want notre dame on the 2024 schedule, ok?

eastern texas state would be an optimal 2024 opponent#
philbert
Alkiadt said:

philbert said:

sycasey said:

philbert said:

Shocky1 said:

multiple sources have tole me that knowlton is not fully comprehending the need for bowl eligibility victories & is lobbying for a game with notre dame for the 4th still to be determined out of conference game
Historically, ND has only come to CA once a year, rotating between Furd and $C. They're already going to $C next year. I'd be surprised if they'd agree to another CA trip. That means Cal would likely have to travel to ND. That would be idiotic and JK should be fired on the spot.

As new members of the ACC, Cal will be added to ND's regular rotation. If they maintain the USC and Stanford series they'd sometimes have an extra CA trip per year.
Is this inside information that ND is adding Cal to their regular rotation of opponents? ND is not an official member of the ACC in FB. They just have an agreement to play some FB games with ACC opponents every season (~4-5 games/season).

I know there are rumors about Cal becoming a semi-regular opponent of ND but I think it's more likely starting in 2025.

All ACC teams are in the ND rotation sooner or later. Cal will play them at some point in the coming seasons. TBD.
If the ND agreement stays the same where they average 5 ACC games/year on a rotating basis, that means Cal would face ND once every 3-4 years. So yes, they'd face them eventually but I'd hardly call them a regular opponent. We'll see what happens when their deal with Furd expires. I would think that the existing ACC teams wouldn't want to give up their existing allotment of games with ND.

In any case, I'd be surprised if ND agreed to and second roadie to CA in 2024.

Shocky1
philbert, a lotta solid points ^, the concern is that knowlton is tryna schedule a 2024 road game to south bend vs a much needed home game against yuma community college
Alkiadt
philbert said:

Alkiadt said:

philbert said:

sycasey said:

philbert said:

Shocky1 said:

If the ND agreement stays the same where they average 5 ACC games/year on a rotating basis, that means Cal would face ND once every 3-4 years. So yes, they'd face them eventually but I'd hardly call them a regular opponent. We'll see what happens when their deal with Furd expires. I would think that the existing ACC teams wouldn't want to give up their existing allotment of games with ND.

In any case, I'd be surprised if ND agreed to and second roadie to CA in 2024.

Excellent points.
Shocky1
alky, also ask knowlton if he regrets extending the contract of the worst (and also most unlikeable) basketball head coach in the nation (only to fire him a year later after a 3-29 season) along with inquiring about the status of the promised basketball practice facility which he tole coach madsen wuz imminent, ok?
philbert
Shocky1 said:

philbert, a lotta solid points ^, the concern is that knowlton is tryna schedule a 2024 road game to south bend vs a much needed home game against yuma community college
If he agrees to a ND roadie next year, he should be fired immediately.
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/BDilZUghHeU
benji also thinks ucla losing tonite is kinda like daddy forgetting that his takeaway al pastor tacos with guac & chips from cocinna madrigal r unattended on a low level chair in the kitchen while his human practices his failed handstand (headstands r a different deal)

burp (the bruins skill players on offense r trash, j-mike with 17 yards in receptions tonite)#
Shocky1

fantastic news (from a scary azz injury/situation)#
Shocky1
fun fact: the bears final 3 pac 12 games against the cougars, cardinals & bruins r all potentially winnable with their trash offenses (that lack future nfl quarterbacks)
Shocky1

stanford dropped jacksonville state this week from their 2024 schedule in order to move up their san jose state series to next season

cocky wuz ready to go west in 2024, jacksonville state would be an ideal 2024 home game at memorial stadium for them california golden bears

the critical 4th occ opponent (could change the trajectory of the cal football program)#
JB was a Chieftain
Shocky1 said:

fun fact: the bears final 3 pac 12 games against the cougars, cardinals & bruins r all potentially winnable with their trash offenses (that lack future nfl quarterbacks)

Unfortunately we counter that with our trash defense. (Not hating on the players, we have backups who haven't been coached up trying to compete)
Shocky1
jb, that's why they play the games, a healthy keo would be a difference maker against the cougs one dimensional dink & dunk passing attack after rushing for only 4 yards against the cards

the reality is that the 2024 wsu offensive line is eerily reminiscent in a scary azz way of the 2023 cal offensive line, it all starts up front & coach bloesch is the bears best coach on the staff
Goof Ball Bear
Yes but Shocky, we have a no-dimensional defense. I think our talent is better than it's shown but I fear that since we can't bring down the QB, we can only outscore opponents in order to win. That's not really working for us. So....uh, hope springs eternal?
Shocky1
goofy, whatever vic is teaching the guys isn't working (he also presided over a failed room at usc), the outside backers such as myles jernigan (who flashed a lot during the 2022 season) are not developing as expected as violent apex predator edge defenders which can also be attributed to the s&c program which is not developing quick twitch +1 athleticism via yoga...just ask jaylen brown how that works, ok?

with cal's monster offensive line (now mostly a strength of the team) showing night & day improvement since the 2022 ****show, the biggest area of concern that is holding back the upward trajectory of the cal football program is the continued failure to rush the quarterback & make plays behind the line of scrimmage

the good news is that true freshmen poly bad azz cade uluave & ryan mcculloch gotta lotta upside

the most scary azz coaching staff interview in years wuz peter saying this past week during the presser that he's gonna do a deep dive in the off season & try to figure out how to get more pressure...that's not how great coaches get the job done, they make in season adjustments...future coaching hall of famer kyle whittingham realized that the utes lacked a running game so he converted a safety to rb on a monday & beat the bears that saturday with a significantly improved rushing attack

the real question is can coach wilcox be adaptive & find innovative solutions without his usual paralysis by analysis & failure to quickly cut ties with underperforming coaches?
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CzMJf7YNjwI
50 year decision (this young lady is already aspirationally planning ahead for her life when she turns 40)#
Oakbear
Shocky1 said:

I think he comprehends it, but would rather Cal-Berkeley be a loser
Goof Ball Bear
The answer to the real question that you posed has already been answered. We have seven years of evidence to support it. The answer for 2023 is NO. But I agree with your observation that we have a scary azz staff...
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CxeETPerjQc
goofy, as u know there are many shades of scary azz in life

life is not linear#
Shocky1
ucla starting qb ethan garbers got a foot injury that may keep him out of the cal game after thx-giving at the rose bowl
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

goofy, whatever vic is teaching the guys isn't working (he also presided over a failed room at usc), the outside backers such as myles jernigan (who flashed a lot during the 2022 season) are not developing as expected as violent apex predator edge defenders which can also be attributed to the s&c program which is not developing quick twitch +1 athleticism via yoga...just ask jaylen brown how that works, ok?

with cal's monster offensive line (now mostly a strength of the team) showing night & day improvement since the 2022 ****show, the biggest area of concern that is holding back the upward trajectory of the cal football program is the continued failure to rush the quarterback & make plays behind the line of scrimmage

the good news is that true freshmen poly bad azz cade uluave & ryan mcculloch gotta lotta upside

the most scary azz coaching staff interview in years wuz peter saying this past week during the presser that he's gonna do a deep dive in the off season & try to figure out how to get more pressure...that's not how great coaches get the job done, they make in season adjustments...future coaching hall of famer kyle whittingham realized that the utes lacked a running game so he converted a safety to rb on a monday & beat the bears that saturday with a significantly improved rushing attack

the real question is can coach wilcox be adaptive & find innovative solutions without his usual paralysis by analysis & failure to quickly cut ties with underperforming coaches?

I agree that Sirmon saying that is very troubling. They have had trouble getting pressure every season. This should have been done the previous off season. And yes take some risk on gameday. Adapt and adjust. What you are doing is getting you drilled.

Also Wilcox said after Utah that the defensive staff is full of good football coaches. I see the same trends once again. No pass rush. A large number of explosive plays against. Hideously poor pass defense. Last in the conference. Sirmon advised us that they were doing a deep dive on that issue after last season. He simply needs to go. So if the coaches are good (they aren't) then it points back to the players. That is recruiting. Who does the recruiting? Oh yeah ... the coaches.

Wilcox has failed. It is well past time to move on. Unfortunately our close friend Jim Knowlton provided a buyout that makes Wilcox all but impossible to remove.
Big C
6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

I agree that Sirmon saying that is very troubling. They have had trouble getting pressure every season. This should have been done the previous off season. And yes take some risk on gameday. Adapt and adjust. What you are doing is getting you drilled.

Also Wilcox said after Utah that the defensive staff is full of good football coaches. I see the same trends once again. No pass rush. A large number of explosive plays against. Hideously poor pass defense. Last in the conference. Sirmon advised us that they were doing a deep dive on that issue after last season. He simply needs to go. So if the coaches are good (they aren't) then it points back to the players. That is recruiting. Who does the recruiting? Oh yeah ... the coaches.

Wilcox has failed. It is well past time to move on. Unfortunately our close friend Jim Knowlton provided a buyout that makes Wilcox all but impossible to remove.

Let's say we don't win out and get to .500 this season. Then let's say we have a losing season in 2024, as well. That off-season (between 2024-2025 seasons), Wilcox is going to order everybody in the program to do a deep dive to figure out what's wrong and FIX IT!
BearCam
Shocky,

Which FB assistants should return next year and which ones should move on?
JB was a Chieftain
BearCam said:

Shocky,

Which FB assistants should return next year and which ones should move on?
I'd go with Spavital, Bloesch, Thompson, & Toler (just recruiting coordinator) to stay.....everyone else Adios!
oskiswifeshusband
- WR, hurts to say but it's been stale
- RB, stay but ball security is meh

On D, everyone gotta go
bearsandgiants
Shocky1 said:

ucla starting qb ethan garbers got a foot injury that may keep him out of the cal game after thx-giving at the rose bowl
He'll be back, just in time to log a record performance.
Shocky1
cam, let's utilize metrics in evaluating the current staff, ok?

the bears are dead last in the pac 12 right now in both sacks (10) & tackles for loss (30) & 8th in interceptions (8) which is often a function of qbs making poor decisions while under duress

the cal defensive scheme is designed for the d-lineman to engage the opposing offensive lineman & funnel action towards the inside linebackers which is why guys like kaleb elarms-orr & jackson sirmon are national tackling machines in the footsteps of evan weaver & jordan kunaszyk

the sirmon/wilcox bend don't break defensive scheme can work but cannot work without violent production from the outside linebackers...the play of both starting outside backers xavier carlton (3 sacks/4 tfl) & myles jernigan (1 sack/2.5 tfl) has been uneven & disappointing, that's a function of the lack of effective developmental coaching

the olb coach has also been asked to handle the special teams coaching for which he is 100% unqualified as evidenced by the special teams stats

the bears have returned 7 punts this season for 28 yards with a longest return of 13 yards, that's easily the worst production in the pac 12 & probably the nation...while jeremiah hunter got good hands he lacks the quick twitch lateral movement explosiveness of great returners like desean jackson

the bears are averaging 16.63 yards on kickoff returns with a longest return of 26 yards, that's really bad too...the blocking schemes are non existent

the bears punt return coverage is allowing a pac 12 worst 14.47 yards which is a function of both a lack of lane discipline & also low trajectory punts...oregon got 75 yards in punt returns

the bears kickoff coverage outside of the usc game has been abysmal...oregon got 78 yards in kickoff returns

the bears lost the auburn game because of 3 missed field goals

bottom line, coach so'oto would be the obvious assistant coach to have his contract non renewed after the season due to the lack of results with both the outside linebackers & the special teams units

back in the day justin wilcox wuz a young outstanding linebackers coach in berkeley, it would make a lotta sense to hire a full time experienced special teams coach that 100% understands the nuances of this critical component of the game & for our head coach to assume the responsibilities of the outside linebackers room

by all accounts vic is a great guy but college football is a results based profession for winning programs...kyle willingham is a future hall of fame coach who wins big with good not great recruits because he prioritizes winning football games over any personal relationships with the utes staff...ima not sure justin is wired that way tho, he's a very loyal person which is a great trait in ur best friend/loved ones but not a head coach

cam, there are still 3 games left in the 2023 season but that's how things look to me at this time
Shocky1
bearsandgiants said:

Shocky1 said:

do u wanna bet on that?
Strykur
Shocky1 said:

bearsandgiants said:

Shocky1 said:

do u wanna bet on that?
He did not look good coming off the field, if he is back in 3 weeks he will be hobbling.
BearCam
I agree.

It's probably time for Tre Watson to move on as well. Our DBs just don't have that film junky scrappiness that made them so great.

Keith Heyward will be looking for a job. I'd like to see him return.
Shocky1

cam, gotta different point of view re: the defensive backfield, luv watching from the field during warm ups tre watson interact with all the bears as his unbridled enthusiasm (kinda like my doggy benji) is contagious as he greets everybody with 100% verbal & physical affection (kinda like benji that still don't understand why he isn't invited to yoga classes/events)

the reality is that college football recruiting in 2023 is best done by guys under 30 years old as they best relate to prospects...tre watson is 27 years old & builds genuine relationships...keith hayward is 43 years old & did not impact the cal d during his short time in berkeley, he wuz coaching superstar gerald alexander's takers

and this team critically needs the energy of the cali disbarred law firm of brown, watson, brown & drayden...while the players respect the head coach & view him as an ethical straight shooter, he is not an emotional leader like coach cuonzo martin & in many ways does not allow people to get too close to him, justin values his privacy...our defensive back coaches bring that necessary joy & fun that's necessary given the rigorous year round demands of college football

shocky fully expects the defensive backfield to play significantly better in the future provided that wilcox/sirmon can scheme pressure on opposing acc quarterbacks which honestly right now is legit question mark that needs to be solved
First Page Last Page
Page 173 of 294

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.