cal's monster offensive line

1,525,021 Views | 9939 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Shocky1
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/Cx1lDoGpQH9
with a recently earned berkeley degree in sociology, jeremiah hunter has entered the graduate transfer portal

there's gonna be a fierce completion during 2024 spring ball for the 2 wide open opportunities for starting wideouts next to trond grizzell
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/CxV9-oHg5hy
coach toler has extended an actionable offer to 6'4" 204 lbs notre dame transfer tobias merriweather who took an official visit to cal last week, he got offers from ucla & washington in his quest to return to the left coast after his position coach in south bend got released...he got 2 years of remaining eligiblity

tobias is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.6 gpa

merriweather is a smooth route runner with elite length, yeah he gotta lotta game, got it?

https://instagr.am/p/Cg5iWDYjrW2
fun facts: tobias is a former irish teammate of aidan "beautiful music" keanaaina & is also from camas washington like rush "aqua man" reimer

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that wanna develop their nfl skills with coach toler & build generational wealth in the classrooms of berkeley)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM
KABOOM KABOOM VAROOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM
KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM BABOOM
VAROOM KABOOM SHABOOM BOMB SHACKALACKA KABOOM

impact wide receiver (let's ******* go)#

Shocky1
^ the last 2 posts are player roster movements that are intertwined
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

thx goggles, tho jeremiah got usually reliable hands he wuz an odd choice as the 2023 punt returner as he lacks the lateral shiftiness of quick twitch movements that makes the 1st coverage guy miss the tackle
very interested to see how the now open punt returner competition plays out during 2024 spring ball, not gonna miss the j hunt fair catches during the last 2 seasons
Shocky1

california golden bears wide receiver & tight end rooms:

a major limiting factor of the 2023 season wuz the inability of receivers to consistently create separation from defenders, in fact the player that got open the most often taj davis had 15+ drops

that's not gonna be a problem in 2024 as coach toler is prioritizing SPEED over the size & length of prior years

2023 wide receiver room:

jeremiah hunter: 62 catches for 703 yards
trond grizzell: 39 catches for 590 yards
taj davis: 39 catches for 399 yards
monroe young: 19 catches for 208 yards
brian hightower: 10 catches for 101 yards
mavin anderson: 8 catches for 87 yards
marquis montgomery (now in the tight end room): 3 catches for 31 yards

2023 tight end room:

jack endries: 35 catches for 408 yards
asher alberding: 1 catch for 5 yards

tobias merriweather can take the top of the roof as fast as anybody in the nation...nyziah hunter & marquez dortch needed a year to acclimate to the challenges of berkeley academics but multiple teammates tole me on the field during the epic big game celebration in palo alto that they got unreal SPEED...and both 2024 wideouts 3.5 gpa josiah martin (the best video highlights of any of the 2024 signed bears) & 3.5 gpa trevor rogers got the requisite academic & physical tools to compete as true freshmen

SPEED kills at wide receiver/tight end (and safety too)#
Shocky1
boneypony, the monster has shared 50% of the backstory re: the 2024 kicker scholly drama but with that being said now is the time to not clue ur uninformed dumb azz with the twists in this deal & instead welcome the 2024 bears kicker, got it?
Shocky1

welcome man of steel 6'2.5 225 lbs with extreme kicking power ryan coe from south fayette high school in mcdonald pennsylvania (20 miles southwest of pittsburgh, yeah the bears road game against the pitt panthers is already on the schedule)

ryan coe is not a dumb azz, he got a 3.5 gpa & wuz a 2 time all cca commissioner's honor role honoree

ryan's prior schools include deleware, cincinnati & north carolina (injured early in the season with the tar heels) and coe will be arriving on the left coast in january with 1 year of remaining eligiblitiy...he's made a remarkable 99 out of 99 extra points and 48 out of 61 field goals with a long of 52 yards

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakmont & fox chapel)
WalterSobchak
Long TD passes are great fun but what wins games are 3rd (and 4th) down contested catches and YAC.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
Shocky1
walter, none of that stuff happens without SPEED to create separation, that didn't happen during the 2023 season on a consistent basis...but with that being said the california golden bears are gonna be fast as **** during the inaugural 2024 season...shocky likes the 2024 room more than the 2023 room

cap
WalterSobchak
Like has nothing to do with it. Show me is all that matters. On paper this is a huge downgrade, there's no way to spin that. Looking forward to being proved wrong this Fall.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
WalterSobchak
Keenan Allen ran a 4.71 40 at the combine. He as 10,000+ NFL receiving yards, 60+ TDs, and has been to 5 Pro Bowls. There's a LOT more to playing WR than straight-line speed.

Shocky1
WalterSobchak said:

Like has nothing to do with it. Show me is all that matters. On paper this is a huge downgrade, there's no way to spin that. Looking forward to being proved wrong this Fall.
fair enuf walter, we won't have to wait until the fall tho 2024 spring ball will tell the story

once again shocky is tired of slow azz wide receivers that can't create separation from defenders & safeties that can't close with elite footspeed on wide receivers

this season has made the monster a big believer in the power of the stopwatch
Shocky1
WalterSobchak said:

Keenan Allen ran a 4.71 40 at the combine. He as 10,000+ NFL receiving yards, 60+ TDs, and has been to 5 Pro Bowls. There's a LOT more to playing WR than straight-line speed.
walter, there are also guys on the pga tour that can't carry the ball 300+ yards in the air but not many...ur example above is kinda like saying the big 12 is not a truck stop conference of academically worthless skools because once upon a time a oklahoma state grad wuz once the president of southern hills & graciously hosted me for a fabulous steak house dinner in downtown tulsa

https://instagr.am/p/Cy4tspltG9L
BlakeJ22
Agreed about speed that creates gravity. There will be attrition and opportunities to upgrade the roster in the new NIL Era. Georgia, of all programs, is losing NFL level players. I'm not going to do any hand wringing over any outbound player not named Ott at this point. I like the fact that Cal seems to have newfound resources behind their portal recruiting. Bodes well, I would say.
AZ Bear
WalterSobchak said:

Econ141 said:

When you say a lot of WR speed coming in, who are you referring to? I can't recall a freshman WR making a significant impact since Desean. So are you referring to some redshirt freshman or dortch who transferred in last year but didn't play? Or do you think a freshman will really star on this team?

Edit: I forgot about JMike who definitely contributed his freshman year. So that might be a good benchmark - any freshman we think can contribute similarly to him?
Sturdivant was a RS frosh the season before this one when he had 65 catches for us. The year before as a true frosh he didn't have a catch despite appearing in 3 games. Notably he had a cast on one hand which didn't help. Same for Hunter, who was hurt his true frosh year and didn't play. DeSean and Keenan are the only true frosh WR I can remember making a significant impact. We only have 1 scholly RS FR WR on the roster next year. Class doesn't matter though IMO. Production from the position and winning are all I care about. Big questions to answer.

Somewhat surprising to me Harper and Lawler are in the general neighborhood of true FR production with DeSean and to a bit lesser extent Keenan. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/california/receiving.html

Don't forget about Demetris Robertson, who had 50 catches for 767 yards and 7 TDs as a true freshman in 2016. Outstanding production.

Robertson then transferred to Georgia and later to Auburn and had reasonable production, but nothing near what he had at Cal. Another one that got away...
Shocky1
^ 100% blake, even doms is raising her game for the california golden bears inaugural 2024 season in the atlantic athletic conference

https://instagr.am/p/C02fRu_vQkl

this **** is getting live (cars r for losers unless ur driving topless with the monster or something)#
oskiswifeshusband
Shockster AKA the king of Arizona,

What other position is it need for next season?
Shocky1
2024 scholly roster departures: right now there are 23 PUBLIC departing bears

matthew cindric, center...out of eligibility...berkeley degrees w/haas biz school & masters education
barrett miller, tackle...out of eligibility...stanford engineering degree & berkeley cert program
isaiah ifanse, running back...out of eligibility...berkeley cert program
monroe young, wide receiver...out of eligibility...berkeley degree
brian hightower, wide receiver...out of eligibility...berkeley cert program
darius long jr, defensive tackle...out of eligibility...berkeley degree
jackson sirmon, inside linebacker...out of eligibility...berkeley haas global grad program
patrick mcmorris, safety...out of eligibility...berkeley cert program
raymond woodie, safety, grad transfer portal...berkeley degree
ben finley, quarterback...grad transfer portal...berkeley cert program
tyson mcwilliams, cornerback...grad transfer portal...berkeley degree
brayden rohme, offensive tackle...grad transfer portal...berkeley degree
kaleb elarms-orr, inside linebacker...transfer portal to tcu...no berkeley degree
everett johnson, offensive tackle...grad transfer portal to montana...berkeley degree
blake antzoulatos, inside linebacker...grad transfer portal...berkeley degree
king doerue, running back...football retirement...purdue degree
jeremiah earby, cornerback...transfer portal...no berkeley degree
sam jackson v, quarterback...transfer portal...no berkeley degree
taj davis, wide receiver...no longer with program...washington degree
michael luckhurst, kicker...will not be on scholly in 2024
muelu iosefa, inside linebacker...no longer with program
moso'oipala "nunie" tuitele, te/olb...no berkeley degree
jeremiah hunter, wide receiver...grad transfer portal...berkeley degree

2024 new schollys: right now there are 24 NEW scholly additions

ryan coe, kicker (3.5 gpa)
tobias merriweather, wide receiver (3.6 gpa)
ja'ir smith, defensive back (3.0+ gpa)
syris corley, offensive line (3.0 gpa)
rush reimer, offensive line (3.3 gpa)
marcus harris, defensive back (3.2 gpa)
aidan keanaaina, defensive tackle (4.0 gpa)
aiden newbill, offensive line (3.72 gpa)
isaiah crosby, safety (3.0+ gpa)
luke ferrelli, inside linebacker (4.0 gpa)
chandler rogers, quarterback (3.3 gpa)
teddye buchanan, inside linebacker (3.5 gpa)
josiah martin, wide receiver (3.5 gpa)
jack endries, tight end (3.83 gpa)
trond grizzell, wide receiver (3.8 gpa)
bj canady, defensive tackle (3.91 gpa)
legend journey, apex predator edge defender (3.3 gpa)
ej caminong, quarterback (3.5 gpa)
dayton "dayday" aupiu (3.51 gpa)
jamaal wiley, running back (3.0+ gpa)
trevor rogers, wide receiver (3.5 gpa)
michael-anthony okwura, defensive lineman (3.4 gpa)
eze osondu, inside linebacker (3.0+ gpa)
brookyln cheek, defensive back (3.0+ gpa)
camden jones, tight end (3.0+ gpa)
tyler knape, offensive line (3.8 gpa)
WalterSobchak
AZ Bear said:

WalterSobchak said:

Econ141 said:

When you say a lot of WR speed coming in, who are you referring to? I can't recall a freshman WR making a significant impact since Desean. So are you referring to some redshirt freshman or dortch who transferred in last year but didn't play? Or do you think a freshman will really star on this team?

Edit: I forgot about JMike who definitely contributed his freshman year. So that might be a good benchmark - any freshman we think can contribute similarly to him?
Sturdivant was a RS frosh the season before this one when he had 65 catches for us. The year before as a true frosh he didn't have a catch despite appearing in 3 games. Notably he had a cast on one hand which didn't help. Same for Hunter, who was hurt his true frosh year and didn't play. DeSean and Keenan are the only true frosh WR I can remember making a significant impact. We only have 1 scholly RS FR WR on the roster next year. Class doesn't matter though IMO. Production from the position and winning are all I care about. Big questions to answer.

Somewhat surprising to me Harper and Lawler are in the general neighborhood of true FR production with DeSean and to a bit lesser extent Keenan. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/california/receiving.html

Don't forget about Demetris Robertson, who had 50 catches for 767 yards and 7 TDs as a true freshman in 2016. Outstanding production.

Robertson then transferred to Georgia and later to Auburn and had reasonable production, but nothing near what he had at Cal. Another one that got away...
Great point. I did forget about his outstanding true frosh year. Such a shame that it all went to waste.

Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

calumnus, my daughter taylor & me wuz at the cal basketball banquet back in the day hugging it out with my yoga buddy jaylen brown who made a point to travel to berkeley for the evening despite a busy schedule with multiple individual nba team workouts that week with franchises that had the first 5 picks in the upcoming nba draft...football assistant coach/world class recruiter/wide receivers coach jacob peeler (my source/conduit to prospect information at the time including gpas) wuz in my ear earlier that day about consensus 5 star all american demtetris robertson

so i asked jaylen if had called fellow georgian demetris back yet...jb apologized & said he had forgotten to do so (and that demetris had left him several messages re: the berkeley experience) but promised me he would call him the next morning

peeler calls me shortly thereafter with thx, demetris wuz gonna commit to the bears after talking to jaylen & getting all his questions answered with positive encouragement to head to berkeley
https://bearinsider.com/forums/8/topics/11616/320

in the recruiting world this is connecting the dots utilizing any & all relationships (peeler knew that my friendship with brown could get the phone call done) to get deals done, only dumb azzs think recruiting should be some super secret enterprise

demetris later tole jaylen that a key factor in his transferring back home to them georgia bulldogs wuz his twin sister shanetris not getting a track scholly at cal, the original plan wuz for the two super close siblings to live/study together in berkeley but she ended up going to junior college for a year in the bay instead

willem, ur fun wife/girlfriend joni yells louder than u on gamedays, u need to raise ur game or something

79 & 89, r u saying that lousiville bourbon (shocky don't drink no bourbon, occasional vodka but prefer 32 oz green drinks) is better than the **** that they sell on the top shelf in the 3rd aisle at the 7/11 on ashby?

https://instagr.am/p/CExUFTPlYZI
zony bear, here's the backstory of how me, jacob peeler & jaylen brown worked together to get demetris robertson to berkeley

cal's monster class#
Shocky1
oskiswifeshusband said:

Shockster AKA the king of Arizona,

What other position is it need for next season?
oskisgfwearsashortdressandlongjacket cal's offensive line needs to take another stop forward in their development with coach bloesch in the acc in 2024...we went from literally the worst offensive line in the power 5 conferences in 2022 to a cohesive line that blocked for the pac 12's leading rusher in 2023 while also reducing the sacks almost in half

but much more work needs to be done, the trench workers got there ******* azzs handed to them in shreveport, they played like sugared up then crashing 9 year old boys at buc-ee's

spring ball 2024 is gonna be critical for open competition to determine the top 5 players, do not sleep on crazy +1 athletic rush reimer, his quick twitch mobility & fearless style of play is a welcome addition to the room

and sioape vatikani is gonna finally hopefully play to his unlimited potential upside & not take plays off with a non stop bad azz poly motor like me & my rescue doggys
AZ Bear
Shocky, nice work on connecting the dots on Demetris back in the day. He was an exciting player and a real stud for us. I remember getting the impression that he was happy as a student at Cal, so I was doubly disappointed that he transferred.

Question:
What do you think of USC DE Korey Foreman and what are the chances he chooses Cal? I don't follow USC enough to have heard of him but the earlier post says was was a 5 star recruit.

Getting an elite DE pass rusher (if that's what he is) would be an incredible coup for us...it's one thing we definitely don't have and I wasn't holding out a lot of hope to get one. Based on his other 5 finalists, it seems like a longshot...but we're the only candidate on the west coast and location matters. Dare we hope for this?....
Shocky1
^^ and yeah ima kinda interested to see how ryan coe kicks & lachlan wilson punts in 2024 spring ball too
Shocky1
^^ zony, korey foreman is an elite athlete for his size but never put it all together, would be very surprised (but happy) if he ends up in berkeley

who among the 2024 commitments r u most excited to see in action?
AZ Bear
Most Excited to See in Action:
-Merriweather WR
-Trevor Rogers WR
-Josiah Martin WR
-Jaden Richardson WR
-also Nyziah Hunter and Dortsch, (though they aren't new signees)

Most Impactful for 2024 (excluding the above WRs):
-Buchanon
-Reimer
-Jair Smith
-Crosby

Check it Off -- Satisfied with These Swaps:
- Coe for Baghani
- Merriweather for JHunter

Excited to See in a Couple Years:
-Tyler Knape

Sleeper I'm Excited to See in a Couple Years:
- TE Camden Jones

* edited to add WR Jaden Richardson

What say you, Shocky? What say others?

Shocky1

defense wins basketball games#
Big C
AZ Bear said:

Most Excited to See in Action:
-Merriweather WR
-Trevor Rogers WR
-Josiah Martin WR
-Jaden Richardson WR
-also Nyziah Hunter and Dortsch, (though they aren't new signees)

Most Impactful for 2024 (excluding the above WRs):
-Buchanon
-Reimer
-Jair Smith
-Crosby

Check it Off -- Satisfied with These Swaps:
- Coe for Baghani
- Merriweather for JHunter

Excited to See in a Couple Years:
-Tyler Knape

Sleeper I'm Excited to See in a Couple Years:
- TE Camden Jones

* edited to add WR Jaden Richardson

What say you, Shocky? What say others?

Under "satisfied with these swaps":
Teddye Buchanan for KEO (I know you already mentioned TB, but still... )
Chandler Rogers for Finley/SJV
Shocky1

knocking the **** out of quarterbacks wins football games#
rush the field
In JW's signing day press conference, he said he expects 10-15% of the roster to change between January and June , so the hunt for new talent continues. Maybe some of our incoming grad transfers will use spring ball to find out their position on the roster and then potentially transfer again. I see why we need another QB in the mix.
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

the heisman at my alma mater (**** balenciaga)#

cal is a dream school (let's ******* go, jaydn)#
Shocky1

the university of calveston=#1 ranked public university in the world (for seabirds flying from buc-ee's towards the golden gate bridge)
oski003
WalterSobchak said:

KA was still recovering from a knee injury when he ran that forty. He is more like a 4.55 guy.
Shocky1

knocking the **** out of quarterbacks wins football games#
rush the field
We get to see Gevani McCoy again in 2024. He just committed to Oregon State.
SBGold
rush the field said:

We get to see Gevani McCoy again in 2024. He just committed to Oregon State.
Not good, with him and Martinez that's a tough game
First Page Last Page
Page 206 of 285

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.