cal's monster offensive line

1,532,815 Views | 9985 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Shocky1
Jeff82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1 said:

Jeff82 said:

Joe LaCava's son is supposedly caddying for him. I'm also just wondering how he's doing with the putter. He putted with a long putter at Cal, so I assume it was a transition for him when that was banned.
brandon hagy's caddy last year on tour wuz an affable white haired 50ish guy, not sure who's on his bag right now on the korn ferry tour...when following hagy last season he gave me the fingers behind his back courtesy of sharing the clubbing (1 finger down is a 6 iron) prior to the shot

yeah the transition from the long putter to a normal putter wuz a little bit bumpy, last season he wuz 167th on the pga tour in putting...he looks good/comfortable over the ball
https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.y2022.html

heading into tomorrow's final of the korn ferry tour's 1st tournament of the season in the bahamas hagy is tied for 21st at 4 under par...despite being arguably the longest hitter in the tournament, he's a substandard even par on the 12 exploitable par 5s he's played thru 3 rounds...hopefully tomorrow's final round will seem brandon better capitalize on the 4 par 5s & 3 drivable (for him) par 4s, a strong start for his season would be a real confidence builder

https://instagr.am/p/CnfqgynpUbv
By the way, I agree with you that it was probably a misfire for Brandon to move from the Valley of the Sun to North Carolina. Pros need to be able to practice with other pros, which means they should be in Orlando, Jupiter, Dallas or Scottsdale. By the way, if you haven't seen it, Homa's match on You Tube against Bob Does Sports at Troon North is a hoot. He plays the scramble ball of three guys, finally closes them out on 17, and then lips out a putt for 59 on 18. That's why I love Max, because he gets off on playing anywhere, anytime, with almost anybody.
Shocky1
ideal 2023 schedule would flip utah in salt lake city & asu in berkeley
Shocky1
bearsandgiants said:

Feels like a 5-7 year. Maybe 6-6. Beating Auburn at home could change the whole outlook of the season, however. Losing the opener on the road could, too.
https://instagr.am/p/B9iH8G0nPIn
luv u b&g but to be honest with u in that none of us have ever seen sam jackson v play a down of live football this comment says probably says more about ur outlook on life than the 2023 california golden bears

yeah the 2023 schedule is kinda like a rorschach test, shocky sees 2 people entangling in twisty sex after yoga but before an afternoon nap while them doggies try to snuggle in tight for a conked out snooze time too, my guess is that coach bloesch sees his left & right tackles knocking the **** outta the opposing teams edge defenders

life is not linear#

SBGold
Shocky1 said:

SBGold said:

How were you able to do Augusta? It seems like that is the hardest one for those wanting to complete the top 100 courses to get on
goldy, for those trying to play the usa top 100 list, yes augusta national is a real challenge...i know a dozen plus golfers who are stuck at 99, my suggestion to them is that they try to get on the volunteer list for the masters which allows its volunteers to return a month after the tournament when the club is closed for the summer for a round but getting on that list is a complicated & competitive process

i've been able to play 15 rounds at augusta national, the former chairman of a fortune 500 financial services company that the shockster used to work for extended an invitation for a majority of those rounds

but playing the world top 100 presents different challenges & in fact there are 2 courses that are significantly more difficult to access than augusta national

https://instagr.am/p/CgMW0-fsAR1
golf de morfontaine is an hour outside of paris with an almost entirely french membership that for various reasons does not like americans, further compounding things is that a majority of the members use the club as a social retreat & not as a golf club which significantly reduces the number of visitor rounds...ima very fortunate to have played the grand parcours 3 times (and also the club's valliere course which imo is the best 9 hole course in the world), c'est magnficque

https://instagr.am/p/B8iKyg8lCum
but the hardest golf course in the world to access is ellerston which is a greg norman design a couple of hours out in new south wales

the shockster wuz in bali when the invitation (after years of effort) finally showed up so took a red eye to oz

at the equivalent of australian tsa, the agent asks me why ima gonna visit his country for only 24 hours, i tell him I intend to walk 36 holes of golf

mr australian tsa agent tells me he's never heard of anybody visiting his country just to play golf, he tells me he plays golf & asks me for the name of the golf course i intend to visit

tell me ima here to play ellerston

mr australian tsa agent tells me he's never heard of that golf course & takes me to a small security room to meet with 2 of his supervisors...clearly they all think the monster is either a) a drug narco trafficker 2) an arms dealer

whatever

anyways the 2 supervisors with suspicious looks ask me to repeat my story about why ima visiting australia for only 24 hours, they too have never heard of ellerston golf course

at that point i pull out & show them the email invitation from the owner of ellerston who at that time wuz the richest man in australia, mr kerry packer

and at that point their entire demeanor changes, there are many apologies as they hand deliver my delayed golf travel case along with an ice cold perrier & the lead supervisor personally drives me to avis to get my car & waves goodbye to me...a friendly lot those australians

it's a couple hours drive to ellerston compound which is the private getaway for the packer family on thousands of acres with a dozen perfectly manicured empty polo fields, the terrain reminds me a lot of home in marin/napa county with its beautiful rolling hills

arriving at the fortified gate the bottom undercarriage of my rental is checked for bombs & the car thoroughly sniffed out be 2 german shepards...ima required to sign a non disclosure statement which assures that i will not take any photographs or ever share the physical layout of any of the structures on the compound

there is no clubhouse so just park by a large oak tree on the top of a hill with magnificent vistas, meet my golf playing partner the superintendent of agronomy (the greenskeeper) who gives me an ellerston golf cap & a scorecard (there is only 1 set of tees at ellerston with a scorecard yardage of 7,300+ yards, we played it at around 7,100 yards which wuz playable with the very firm & fast links feel fairways)

the supt tells me during our 36 hole walking round (his #1 assistant drives a golf cart with our bags on it while we hoof it) that he is required by the packer family to meticulously record the # of rounds played & that the prior year there were 432 rounds played of which half of them were by him & his #1 assistant

after halfway thru the back nine he radios for a healthy & fresh farm to table lunch including my requested 32 oz green drink brought out to us by a very fit & attractive local brunette with big smiles & afterwards we take a 30 minute break to drive the go karts on the fun slalom course adjacent to the tee

there wuz nobody else on the perfectly manicured course that wuz 100% divot free except them curious kangaroos who had never seen a shocky before

https://instagr.am/p/CkE5GBBybkH
the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including down under)

Thank you, those stories are fantastic. You will have to re-tell your story of the golf outing with that d nozzle Trump
eastcoastcal
The way I see it, last year we lost 35-41 against USC, who ended the regular season a top 12 team & the second best team in the Pac. This was with our old OC & OL coach and the lines brutalized with injuries. Assuming we manage to find some maulers for the OL, I think every team is beatable on our schedule. We have great skill positions, Sam Jack can light it up, Spav should unlock another level to the offense, Coach Bloesch should get our OL a little meaner, and we have greath depth on defense, plus the DL guys coming back from injury. Let's just get the strength coach some free yoga vouchers to send the team

If we can beat anyone, why not beat everyone? 12-0 INCOMING!
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

2023 schedule:

september 2nd-at north texas
september 9th-auburn
september 16th-idaho
september 23rd-at washington
september 30th-asu
october 7th-oregon state
october 14th-at utah
october 21st-bye
october 28th-usc (arggghhh, son getting married in carlsbad that day, looking forwrard to seeing the wedding fotos)
november 4th-at oregon
november11th-washington state
november18th-at stanford
november 25th-at ucla (game of the year at the rose bowl)

bye is opportunely timed for rest & no super late in the season roadtrips to the freezing azz northwest/mountain states tho denton is gonna be nasty humid as ****
Shocky1
Cal_79 said:

Hope you're gonna share the fotos when you get'em...
will do 79, hopefully will get a couple of minutes during halftime to call down south to taylor & check on the status of the nuptials before the 3rd quarter kickoff
Shocky1
bearsandgiants
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

2023 schedule:

september 9th-auburn
september 16th-idaho
september 30th-asu
october 7th-oregon state
october 14th-at utah
october 21st-bye
october 28th-usc (arggghhh, son getting married in carlsbad that day, looking forwrard to seeing the wedding fotos)
november 4th-at oregon
november18th-at stanford

bye is opportunely timed for rest & no super late in the season roadtrips to the freezing azz northwest/mountain states tho denton is gonna be nasty humid as ****

For planning purposes, regarding the Auburn game, does anyone know if it's 100% guaranteed to be on the 9th? No outside chance it's moved to a Friday? Going cross country and can't take the risk.
Shocky1
the wildly inaccurate & immobile jt strout is like a worser version of hank "the stank" bachmeier
Econ141
Shocky1 said:

Wish he'd committed 100% to blocking.
Shocky1
Jeff82 said:

By the way, I agree with you that it was probably a misfire for Brandon to move from the Valley of the Sun to North Carolina. Pros need to be able to practice with other pros, which means they should be in Orlando, Jupiter, Dallas or Scottsdale. By the way, if you haven't seen it, Homa's match on You Tube against Bob Does Sports at Troon North is a hoot. He plays the scramble ball of three guys, finally closes them out on 17, and then lips out a putt for 59 on 18. That's why I love Max, because he gets off on playing anywhere, anytime, with almost anybody.
jeff, brandon hagy shot today a 3 under par 69 despite a double bogey 7 on the par 5 finishing hole to start his 2023 korn ferry tour season with a very solid tie 7 under tie for 14th performance, if he can keep the tee ball in play on par 5s brandon is gonna contend in the next week or two

and thx for the max homa video, that wuz so much fun to watch while literally laughing out loud while they play on the other side of pinnacle peak from my home...homa is gonna contend for a major championship in 2023, write it down baby

warning to the censor: homa says potty potty bad words on almost every hole, this is unacceptable behavior from not only a berkeley grad but well basically anyone...max is a bad boy, no max, ur a bad boy go outside when ur a bad boy
Shocky1
what color is criminal dana atman's latest catalog ordered rug, wuz it advertised as "burning firewood embers red?"
Shocky1

congrats to zach johnson (dad les wuz max homa's swing coach back in valencia back in the day) on his plan to finish up his berkeley degree & then enter the transfer portal

Shocky1

what california golden bear on planet earth got the most shocky like dumb azz swagger?

that would be fernando mendoza from biscayne bay (where the cuban gentlemen sleep all day) who talks to every doggy & curvy brunette yoga female that crosses his path (wingman michael luckhurst is in awe) in berkeley, his girlfriend camila is not happy about that **** tho

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including south beach)
HoodBear
Shocky, feel like you would be a good wingman.
Shocky1
thx hoodie, that's wuz taylor tell me all the time

https://instagr.am/p/CPtnlNfjs0b
KenBurnski
That is one handsome cat (Shockster looking good too).
Shocky1
burnski, that would be mugsy who is a rescue kitty that usually got a kinda concerned demeanor about him but that's understandable since he probably didn't get a lotta love back in the day
Shocky1
Rushinbear said:

I called Angus's approach to s&c "ballet for bouncers." A guy the size of those players who can't/won't put on 30# of good weight has a wanta problem that can be cured by tough love. There didn't seem to be much of that. Question is, which one's the softie? That's why I asked the question. If it was Angus, was Johnson required to follow it, even in disagreement?
https://instagr.am/p/CDFMFIkDj-g
russian, angus spent a lotta time driving back & forth from berkeley to his home in reno & it wuzn't really in his personality to be overly demanding (kick some azz) on players, coach bloesch on the other hand appears to be a relentless high intensity workaholic who is gonna be in the weight & o-line room with his guys...players know when their coach is 100% invested in them
KenBurnski
Humans can be real dumbazzes. Good thing we have friends like Mugs to keep us in line.
Econ141
Shocky - are you surprised, shocked even, that we haven't been able to lock down a single o-lineman yet? I understand there is time after spring practices but at that point we are looking at other team's scraps. As was the case last year with TJ Sessions and Spencer, I don't think we will get anyone who is really going to make an impact...these guys barely even provided depth.

So what gives? How can we acquire solid talent at the skill positions through the portal but score a big fat zero on the #1 priority (and impetus for this thread) that was visible and reported on the entire season? In fact, it is a negative score because we lost two potential starters on the o-line.

Signed,
An econ major alum worried about the supply of o-linemen given our demand for them.
Shocky1
econ, not overly surprised by o-line recruiting right now given that coach bloesch needs a little time to develop his west coast high gpa pipeline

coach wilcox said on national signing date that mike got nationwide recruiting connections, that may or may not be true (it probably isn't) as 15 of his 17 offensive linemen on the north texas roster last season were from the great state of texas
https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/2022

so this is gonna take a little time to get rolling but passionate people like bloesch will find a way to get it done

we got 2 new 2023 scholly o-line guys in 6'8" nick morrow (who got more footspeed than any other guy in the o-line room) & uber athletic frederick williams (who could also play defensive line) but both guys need to put on significant weight to compete for playing time but if they got that intensity/work ethic they both gotta lotta upside

the biggest mistake the staff could do right now is panic & bring in unathletic guys who will never see the field & tie up precious schollys for multiple years

last season the o-line room had 14 schollys, that needs to be rightsized to 16

ben coleman & spencer lovell (who wuz a granite statue that could not play in space) are gone to be replaced by nick morrow & frederick williams

the really exciting aspect of coach bloesch is his track record of developing offensive linemen at both north texas & tulsa prior to that and that's 100% what we need with cal's monster offensive line during winter conditioning & then 2023 spring ball

also think coach bloesch is gonna be a very positive influence upon future head coach in waiting mike saffell

and while the monster likes to poke fun at mike's texas roots, he is not a dumb azz, this guy got an undergraduate degree from houston in the academically challenging major of kinesiology & then a masters degree in education administration (which means he's already more qualified than cal's current con artist but andrew mcgraw is the monster's already picked next athletic director in berkeley)

https://instagr.am/p/CAG3zQkD_eL
Shocky1
medford truck stop late shift supervisory ducks 87
california golden bears 58

HoopDreams
Shocky1 said:

medford truck stop late shift supervisory ducks 87
california golden bears 58
Markhuri Saunders-Frison sighting.

unfortunately as a grad assistant coach on the ducks bench (also Dennis Gates bro).
Always thought he would be a great coach.

why doesn't Cal have grad assistants of recent college players as skill trainers?

Shocky1
hoops dreams amigo, u mean like theo robertson & richard midgley?

uncorrected broken down shooting mechanics=unwatchable basketball & one of the worst shooting 3 point teams in the nation

what's behind door #2?#
Shocky1
major monster quarterback recruiting update:

the bears will go thru 2023 spring ball with sam jackson v and fernando mendoza as the only scholly quarterbacks, coach spav will recruit another quarterback from the portal when it reopens in may

remember that when coach spav developed davis webb into a 3rd round draft choice in the 2017 national football league draft that webb took every single snap at quarterback in 2016?...you don't need a bunch of unhappy guys holding clipboards on the sidelines that will eventually transfer, you wanna give as many practice reps/snaps to as few as quarterbacks as possible to expedite/facilitate their development

so let's stop the silly nonsense of floating names of every unathletic crooked azz throwing white quarterback that enters the portal, ok?

justyn martin would be the smart money choice if he opts to enter the portal in may

there is only 1 football on a football field during a football game (3 is enuf)#
Shocky1
cal's monster offensive line official visitor update:

current memphis commit 6'5" 295 lbs left tackle judea "juju" milon from tyler junior college & originally shoemaker high school in killeen (north of austin) texas is gonna officially visit berkeley this weekend

other actionable offers during the last week include byu, unlv & cincinnati along with earlier in the season interest from kansas, missouri & washington state

juju got 2 years of eligibility & wuz a 1st team all conference selection this season

watching his video milon got quick feet & gets to the 2nd level, that's something that didn't happen very often this season by the bears tackles in berkeley

50 year decision (life after football)#

the university of california, berkeley=#2 ranked university in the united states (where is memphis in the forbes rankings?)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CO8WL6SrBEm
6'6" 230 lbs louisville transfer with a 4.2 gpa from lincoln high school in san diego tyler jensen gotta lotta game (in more ways than one) & if he can successfully work with coach spav to correct his kinda sidearm throwing motion he's got some serious upside as the bears #3 quarterback this spring in competition with fellow blueshirt freshman walk on noah mitcheom from granite bay...and then this summer redwood high school's brady weingart gonna arrive in berkeley

and yeah tyler got surprising escapability/athleticisim for a big dude, he's kinda like the surfer version of kap
rkt88edmo
Econ141 said:

Shocky - are you surprised, shocked even, that we haven't been able to lock down a single o-lineman yet? I understand there is time after spring practices but at that point we are looking at other team's scraps. As was the case last year with TJ Sessions and Spencer, I don't think we will get anyone who is really going to make an impact...these guys barely even provided depth.

So what gives? How can we acquire solid talent at the skill positions through the portal but score a big fat zero on the #1 priority (and impetus for this thread) that was visible and reported on the entire season? In fact, it is a negative score because we lost two potential starters on the o-line.

Signed,
An econ major alum worried about the supply of o-linemen given our demand for them.

You're just doing your best to be the biggest negabear harping on this o-line stuff as much as you can....get on the sunshine pump baby!
Shocky1

javian "the jet" thomas gonna take his official visit to berkeley this weekend

where the jet? (he gone, touchdown bears)#
Rtkbear
and he's got great hair.
Jeff82
Shocky1 said:

Jeff82 said:

jeff, brandon hagy shot today a 3 under par 69 despite a double bogey 7 on the par 5 finishing hole to start his 2023 korn ferry tour season with a very solid tie 7 under tie for 14th performance, if he can keep the tee ball in play on par 5s brandon is gonna contend in the next week or two

and thx for the max homa video, that wuz so much fun to watch while literally laughing out loud while they play on the other side of pinnacle peak from my home...homa is gonna contend for a major championship in 2023, write it down baby

warning to the censor: homa says potty potty bad words on almost every hole, this is unacceptable behavior from not only a berkeley grad but well basically anyone...max is a bad boy, no max, ur a bad boy go outside when ur a bad boy

Agree that Brandon is overdue for something good to happen for him. Although I slightly know both he and Max, I'm a little closer to Brandon, because he's from Ventura County, where I was a newspaper reporter for eight years and started playing golf seriously.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting with baited breath for this month's Golf magazine, which has Max on the cover. I agree he's got a shot at a major this year, probably best at the U.S. Open, since they're playing at LACC.
Jeff82
Shocky1 said:

major monster quarterback recruiting update:

the bears will go thru 2023 spring ball with sam jackson v and fernando mendoza as the only scholly quarterbacks, coach spav will recruit another quarterback from the portal when it reopens in may

remember that when coach spav developed davis webb into a 3rd round draft choice in the 2017 national football league draft that webb took every single snap at quarterback in 2016?...you don't need a bunch of unhappy guys holding clipboards on the sidelines that will eventually transfer, you wanna give as many practice reps/snaps to as few as quarterbacks as possible to expedite/facilitate their development

so let's stop the silly nonsense of floating names of every unathletic crooked azz throwing white quarterback that enters the portal, ok?

justyn martin would be the smart money choice if he opts to enter the portal in may

there is only 1 football on a football field during a football game (3 is enuf)#
That's a bit scary. On the other hand, we've been bitten in the past by taking a QB just to have a body, who couldn't play when the time came (Arizona 2021). In Spav we trust.
ColoradoBear
bearsandgiants said:

Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

2023 schedule:

september 9th-auburn
september 16th-idaho
september 30th-asu
october 7th-oregon state
october 14th-at utah
october 21st-bye
november 4th-at oregon
november18th-at stanford

For planning purposes, regarding the Auburn game, does anyone know if it's 100% guaranteed to be on the 9th? No outside chance it's moved to a Friday? Going cross country and can't take the risk.

Networks would need both schools' approval to move the game to a Friday, and since Cal wants to sell tickets for $$$$, I can't see any scenario where that would happen since there is no mechanism to get extra $$$ from TV to do the move. The current TV contract only requires 8 weekday conference games each year.

OOC game times are set well in advance too - last year, the announcement was in late May.
First Page Last Page
Page 60 of 286

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.