cal's monster offensive line

1,782,098 Views | 10931 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Shocky1
JTfromClash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
who is gonna be the OC shocky?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

the monster's rankings of offensive coordinator candidates:

1) scott huff (39 years old, $708,000): best person on planet earth to recruit & develop cal's monster offensive line

2) brennan marion (35 years old, $400,000): go go innovator, would coach wilcox's head explode?

3) ryan gunderson (36 years old, $400,000): charismatic recruiter, passing game innovator at sjsu before becoming ucla qb coach

4) gj kinne (34 years old, $1,000,000+ at texas state): great interview with coach wilcox, rising superstar, new head coach at texas state

there are a lot of balls in the air & fierce bidding wars being fought that are led by athletic directors that are 100% focused on winning football programs

not gonna name names (so need to censor this post) but there has been a fake news insiders rumour the last couple days that cal "got enough money" for the offensive coordinator hire, that is absolutely & unequivocally not true at this exact moment

james arthur knowlton is not all in with the cal football program which means he wants the coaching dollar funds to primarily come from donors as opposed to using department funds that he would rather allocate/misspend on sports that very few people give a **** about

just to make this very clear our con artist athletic director jimmy "shell game" k is tryna make critical hires on the cheap while he build out his quidditch facility

the nation's best athletic directors at p5 schools ask the head football coach, "who is your top target for the offensive coordinator position & how much money do we need to spend?" in their quest to secure elite coaching talent in the next 5 minutes

uk clash, this **** is changing by the minute:

favorite: brennan marion (35 years old, $400,000), the tulsa grad just got passed over an hour ago for the hurricanes head coach position in favor of the ohio state offensive coordinator kevin wilson

emerging dark horse: jake spavital (37 years old, $800,000), the former texas state head coach coached up davis webb to the national football league in an offense that showcases wide receiver talents

notice all the ages of the candidates, the next offensive coordinator is gonna bring a much needed infusion of energy & innovation to the cal offense

unless james arthur knowlton continues to **** this up with his misreading the room preference for paying gymnastic, field hockey & quidditch coaches top dollars instead while citing title ix & office of civil rights propaganda
SBGold
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

1) scott huff (39 years old, $708,000): best person on planet earth to recruit & develop cal's monster offensive line

2) brennan marion (35 years old, $400,000): go go innovator, would coach wilcox's head explode?

3) ryan gunderson (36 years old, $400,000): charismatic recruiter, passing game innovator at sjsu before becoming ucla qb coach

4) gj kinne (34 years old, $1,000,000+ at texas state): great interview with coach wilcox, rising superstar, new head coach at texas state

there are a lot of balls in the air & fierce bidding wars being fought that are led by athletic directors that are 100% focused on winning football programs

not gonna name names (so need to censor this post) but there has been a fake news insiders rumour the last couple days that cal "got enough money" for the offensive coordinator hire, that is absolutely & unequivocally not true at this exact moment

james arthur knowlton is not all in with the cal football program which means he wants the coaching dollar funds to primarily come from donors as opposed to using department funds that he would rather allocate/misspend on sports that very few people give a **** about

just to make this very clear our con artist athletic director jimmy "shell game" k is tryna make critical hires on the cheap while he build out his quidditch facility

the nation's best athletic directors at p5 schools ask the head football coach, "who is your top target for the offensive coordinator position & how much money do we need to spend?" in their quest to secure elite coaching talent in the next 5 minutes

favorite: brennan marion (35 years old, $400,000), the tulsa grad just got passed over an hour ago for the hurricanes head coach position in favor of the ohio state offensive coordinator kevin wilson

emerging dark horse: jake spavital (37 years old, $800,000), the former texas state head coach coached up davis webb to the national football league in an offense that showcases wide receiver talents

notice all the ages of the candidates, the next offensive coordinator is gonna bring a much needed infusion of energy & innovation to the cal offense

unless james arthur knowlton continues to **** this up with his misreading the room preference for paying gymnastic, field hockey & quidditch coaches top dollars instead while citing title ix & office of civil rights propaganda
Give me Marion and Huff
Gkhoury2325
Absolutely. Great tandem to hire. Knowlton may not want to spend the money and is trying to savie his nickels.
89Bear
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

By February this search should be all wrapped up. Nice!
Shocky1
best show on tv

next 48 hours#
89Bear
Shocky1 said:

best show on tv

next 48 hours#
Say the same thing after spring ball. "Let's just get it right before fall camp."
Shocky1
89, you definitely need some azz and/or roadtrip with a curvy brunette yoga female

dr shock's 5 cent snoopy psychotherapy advice (disclaimer: not medically licensed in most countries worldwide)#
SBGold
Gkhoury2325 said:

Absolutely. Great tandem to hire. Knowlton may not want to spend the money and is trying to savie his nickels.
Invest in this damn program already
sonofabear51
Knowlton would rather cut off his nose to improve his face. Hmmm, maybe it WOULD be an improvement!
UrsineMaximus
Clearly this "dude" knows no better than anyone else on this thread. Else.... the OC or OL would have been hired by now or at the very least one of the OL would have committed by now. NOT.
Shocky1
not really understanding your garbled message ursine, r u saying u wanna go to ibiza with a dude?
Big C

I would love either Marion or Spavital. The former is sort of a go-for-it kind of hire (especially for Wilcox), the latter a bit more proven. Both are offensive minds who can also recruit. As far as predictions, I'll take "c", neither of the above (unfortunately).
UrsineMaximus
your response confirms you totally understood the "grabbled" message.
Shocky1
well then njoy ur trip w/hank!
tequila4kapp
@shocky - any thoughts on why Marion doesn't seem to be getting much traction in this search?
Shocky1
tequila, brennan is pretty far out of coach wilcox's safety zone & there's no doubt justin got creeping conservatism on gamedays

this is yet another example of where employing a clueless athletic director that is not in a position to mentor justin re: building a staff has negative consequences...our current athletic director could probably not name 5 non cal assistant football coaches in the united states of america

and that's why the con artist used an expensive search firm to hire the broken down sorry azz fox instead of consulting with free consultants like j kidd, shareef abdur rahim, jaylen brown, lamond murray & sean marks

i remember meeting knowlton for the 1st time back in the day at the oregon state football game in corvallis (a spectacular victory) & telling him my story of getting terminated as a floor seat basketball donor that had attended 150+ home & away games in a row as part of my duties for cal's monster class which at 5,000,000+ views still remains today the most read thread in the history of college basketball

anyways told jim the details of my departure which involved the unethical sharing of an email i sent to someone who i trusted re: the details of wyking jones getting blackballed by the aau powerhouse las vegas stars which wuz gonna hurt us in recruitment of duke transfer/mcdondalds all american chase jeter (3.8 gpa, moms a high school teacher, ideal cal fit that would start playing 30 mpg from day 1)

remember vividly knowlton's total blank look when i mentioned the las vegas stars, it took me a minute to figure it out, but then it clicked, he had no idea who were the las vegas stars...it's unlikely that there's a single d1 athletic director in the united states that's never heard of the las vegas stars, compton magic, oakland soldiers, etc.

my clueless daughter taylor (who has attended 100+ bears games) knows more about the inner workings of college basketball that james arthur knowlton

and that's why the major donors need to communicate to the benevolent chancellor christ (who has done more for cal athletics than any chancellor in the modern era) that they are done supporting the university until knowlton is gone

that will clear the way for former pasatiempo high school quarterback andrew mccraw (who is supported by every donor i've talked/communicated too) to be appointed the next athletic director who after 26 years in the department knows the dead zones & will be qualified to make the hard decisions in cutting programs on day 1 at 7:17 am to protect the department from bankruptcy once the current almost $30,000,000 departmental subsidy is likely discontinued by the next chancellor in berkeley
Big C
As to why not Brennan Marion,,, (not shocky, obviously, but... )
- no connections to Wilcox or his home turf (Pacific NW)
- "go-go" offense too "radical" for JW
- has been steadily moving up the ranks, but no solid 2-3 years as an OC in any one place
- maybe we want an OC that is also QB coach, but Marion is more of a WR guy
- maybe we sent out feelers and he's not interested, for whatever reason

EDIT: Shocky1 is quick on the draw and beat me to it!
udaman1
this sounds great, but we're gonna need a draw to bring O Line transfers in right now. I don't think we have that draw, at least from the perspective of another P5 school. Maybe we get some transfers from the Mountain West or something.
He has great targets to throw to and one of the best young backs in the nation, But the O Line as it stands is simply not going to cut it. Honestly I'm amazed at how well he did with what he had to work with up front.
KoreAmBear
udaman1 said:

this sounds great, but we're gonna need a draw to bring O Line transfers in right now. I don't think we have that draw, at least from the perspective of another P5 school. Maybe we get some transfers from the Mountain West or something.
He has great targets to throw to and one of the best young backs in the nation, But the O Line as it stands is simply not going to cut it. Honestly I'm amazed at how well he did with what he had to work with up front.
Did you see the play calling change and 0 sacks v. UCLA? What do you see? UC that play calling/scheme can overcome o line issues.
udaman1
when I was at Cal Day in the Spring with my son, some guy actually said to me, "hey you want to hear a dad joke?"
"sure"
"Ok. look around. What do you see? YOU SEE........What? What do you see?"

I'll give him points for assuming I haven't seen the Cal commercial 359 times.
killa22
Shocky is a legend and a treasure
KoreAmBear
udaman1 said:

when I was at Cal Day in the Spring with my son, some guy actually said to me, "hey you want to hear a dad joke?"
"sure"
"Ok. look around. What do you see? YOU SEE........What? What do you see?"

I'll give him points for assuming I haven't seen the Cal commercial 359 times.
It is a great and sad dad joke at the same time.
Shocky1
killa22 said:

Shocky is a legend and a treasure
killa, the monster would like to be like u when he grows up

any chance u will comment on the o-line personnel & schematics from an ex players perspective?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

arizona state is targeting cal poly head coach beau baldwin as its next offensive coordinator
beau made $346,000 last years as the mustangs head coach along with 2 free parking passes at morro bay state park beach

the early favorites to be slo's next football leader are either current associate head coach paul wulff (had a really unsuccessful stint as head coach in the palouse) or former running backs coach aristotle thompson who still gotta lotta supporters along the central coast

but make no mistake about it, susan & ruben flores are as evil as **** as their son

https://instagr.am/p/CXUb7ajPjje
as expected paul wulff (who underwent a remarkably traumatic childhood due to murder within his family) has been elevated to head coach at cal poly

with jaydn ott, ashton hayes & my favorite player ashton stredick (i identify with him, as a walk on we're both rescue mutts plus he's the smartest guy on the team) committed at this time to returning for the 2023 season, the coaching stability with at is a huge plus

aristotle had the toughest professional year of his life with this year's overstocked 6 running backs & only 1 football...in the past he's been able to sell the "deep room," that you gotta "work your way up" the depth chart usually thru seniority and "we're gonna share the snaps" which quite honestly doesn't work anymore with today's much larger ego/financially ambitious players who think they got the portal when its time to bail (there's a 1000+ kids who are never gonna get offered out of the portal which means they gonna be uneducated workers at the car wash who passed up a free college education because they mistakenly thought they were good enough to get paid in the nfl)

decarlos brooks made the right decision for himself to pursue 1,000+ yards next season as the featured back with a berkeley degree in his back pocket...damien moore has sadly screwed himself over with no berkeley degree & a lack of nfl speed...hopefully the charismatic chris street will quickly evaluate his market value in the portal & return to berkeley to finish up his degree (with his personality he could be the national sales director for a fortune 500 corporation making a $1,000,000+ a year including bonuses but that's not gonna happen with a utep diploma) & also consider what's best for patrice orr

this spring ball & next season is gonna be a lot less stressful/drama free with all of coach thompson's running backs having a much more defined role that includes snaps in every game

fully expect javien "jet" thomas from mack to commit in the near future, he would add an element of breakaway speed if someone gets injured/banged up but ideally he would blueshirt in 2023 to help keep the playing rotation tight

gimme the goods, half the action (u get the chance to getaway, for me it's 2 late)#
BearSD
KoreAmBear said:

udaman1 said:

Did you see the play calling change and 0 sacks v. UCLA? What do you see? UC that play calling/scheme can overcome o line issues.
The key change began with the Big Game. It was impressing upon Plummer the need to get the ball out quickly, and perhaps not calling any slow-developing dropback pass plays..

Whether Plummer counted to 3 in his head and made sure the ball was gone before he got to 3, or some other technique, it worked and, in the final two games, he threw nearly every pass within 3 seconds. The result was one sack for Stanford and none for UCLA.

But that's a temporary fix. Unless the offense goes full Leach next year, our Bears have to have much better O-line play on both runs and pass plays. The quick passing can only help so much before opponents adjust (again, unless there's a shift to a Leach-style, five receivers out in the flat and no tight ends), and the running game still will be limited by the O-line. Can't expect to have a solid, dependable offense over the course of a full season with the 12th-best O-line in the conference.
Shocky1
saga of carson mott: the edge defender in the 2023 class unofficially visited berkeley & loved it which caused him to commit to the bears, nobody on the staff sent out the customary celebration tweets which kinda surprised some fans

the next week coach so'oto traveled down to so cal & privately explained to carson the difference between a conditional offer (which is what he got) & an actionable offer

so he decommited from cal to save face, then accepted an actionable offer from colorado

happy ending, right?

not so fast, the buffs staff got fired & today coach deion pulled more than a half a dozen offers from guys including mott

yeah carson mott just can't get a break, will be rooting for this rescue mutt to find a home
Shocky1
cal's monster offensive line recruiting update:

coach saffell has offered mobile 6'5" 292 grant starck from nevada after starting all 12 games last season at left tackle allowing just 3 sacks in 859 snaps (484 pass blocking snaps)

grant got 2 years to play 2 years & wuz a standout basketball player at thurston high school in springfield oregon where head coach homer simpson got him a nil deal for voodoo donuts which in retrospect wuz a mistake cuz they taste like cardboard

unlike this season's bears tackles, starck has proven that he can successfully play in space

https://instagr.am/p/CiIXMpOJKiU
the university of california, berkeley=#2 ranked university in the united states (including the drizzly azz northwest)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
tequila4kapp
Come on now Shocky, no knocking Voodoo donuts! (Next time you are in Portland Voodoo on me)
SBGold
Shocky, Goforth from SC is in the portal. Great replacement for Femi. Can we land him?
Shocky1

look tequila, i dunno if ur a nationally recognized hostess ho ho trained nutritionist or what but there's no way the monster is gonna eat any of them chocolates glazed with fuschia sugary sprinkled heart attack hand grenades from v-doo, ok?

to be honest with you, when i think of u tequila my image is of a guy who owns a string of dive bears in multnomah county of which the most popular is called "the drunk oski" which has been cited numerous times by portland pd for "lewd and lacivious" behavior in the bathrooms but you don't really care and just pay the fines

you got a tattoo on your forearm that says "life is not linear#" which you tried to remove a couple of year ago but now it just reads "fe is ear" which is kinda confusing to a lotta people but you just laugh it off

your an incurable romantic, in fact you still carry photos of your 5 ex wives in your wallet...you got only one son who you don't talk to that often (you missed his birthday by 10 days last year but you get points for trying) that is a moderately successful golf club pro in st louis that's got a kinda golf blog that nobody reads

your standard style includes a beat to **** yellow joe roth cal cap that a patron once told you smells oddly "like bbq chicken wings & pu**y"...you got a chipped tooth from when you tried to break up that fight on a civil war gameday but you've never fixed it even tho you count at least a half a dozen dentists as friends

you contentedly live by yourself & your adorable black haired mutt des (who does her yoga stretches on the back patio every morning while barking at the passing golfers) on the right side of the long par 4 2nd hole at waverly country club, your regular game includes philip margolin & peter jacobsen and your caddie jimmy openly bumps your ball in the rough the whole round but nobody cares

you somehow got approval for a golf tournament entitled "the dive bar open" at waverley back in 2002 but you almost got kicked out the club when 2 strippers from coos bay drove a golf cart on the par 4 17th hole across the hour glass green into the willamette river...reality is that you know all the secrets of the board members and you just got a letter of reprimand which you immeditatley recycled...now you host your golf tournament at langdon farms & don't even ask for the security deposit back

your memory isn't so great these days, you call all your male patrons "pal" and the females "sweetie"...people think your mobbed up but that's not true, you just like the linguine con vongole at mucca osteria

your nickname is tequila but ironically your favorite drink is a black cow

how am i doing, tequila?

the world according to shocky#
Shocky1
SBGold said:

Shocky, Goforth from SC is in the portal. Great replacement for Femi. Can we land him?
goldy, we gotta lotta linebackers, we're probably gonna sell some of them on e-bay or something
WalterSobchak
BearSD said:

KoreAmBear said:

The key change began with the Big Game. It was impressing upon Plummer the need to get the ball out quickly, and perhaps not calling any slow-developing dropback pass plays..

Whether Plummer counted to 3 in his head and made sure the ball was gone before he got to 3, or some other technique, it worked and, in the final two games, he threw nearly every pass within 3 seconds. The result was one sack for Stanford and none for UCLA.

But that's a temporary fix. Unless the offense goes full Leach next year, our Bears have to have much better O-line play on both runs and pass plays. The quick passing can only help so much before opponents adjust (again, unless there's a shift to a Leach-style, five receivers out in the flat and no tight ends), and the running game still will be limited by the O-line. Can't expect to have a solid, dependable offense over the course of a full season with the 12th-best O-line in the conference.

The suggestion that all we changed in the last two games was Plummer deciding to throw sooner is laughable. I suggest you visit the dojo so you can rewatch the games with the ability to jump back and forth. Focus your attention on route concepts.
WalterSobchak
Shocky1 said:

SBGold said:

goldy, we gotta lotta linebackers, we're probably gonna sell some of them on e-bay or something
Just not Ruchena, okay? We all gotta eat some wolf meat from time to time.
tequila4kapp
I wish you were right, my real life is so so so much more boring
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 313

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.