cal's monster offensive line

1,842,392 Views | 11198 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by Shocky1
tequila4kapp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

Is this official?
Hayes? There's a tweet, so yes. If you dig a bit there's also a diatribe from his mom earlier in the season that does not play well for Ashtyn. If mom's attitude is at all present in the kid then adios, we don't need that noise (and I am being polite).
KoreAmBear
tequila4kapp said:

KoreAmBear said:

Is this official?
Hayes? There's a tweet, so yes. If you dig a bit there's also a diatribe from his mom earlier in the season that does not play well for Ashtyn. If mom's attitude is at all present in the kid then adios, we don't need that noise (and I am being polite).
Not that I doubt it's happening, but what Tweet? There is nothing on his Twitter.
UrsineMaximus
Shocky1 said:

econ, those are reasonable points

a) cal has not had a quarterback during the justin wilcox era with the ability to throw tight spirals into small windows at almost a 80% efficiency during meaningless practices much less against inferior competition on gamedays, chandler rogers will be a much needed upgraded in moving the chains with his accurate arm...when is the last time the bears had a quarterback who could turn a 10 yard sack into a game changing 17 yard scramble?...welcome to mr rogers neighborhood

b) there are very few (if any) completely wide open starting quarterback positions among power 5 teams, cal offers a unique opportunity for mr rogers...also keep in mind that other than texas & alabama, no p5 offensive coordinators other than coach jake has seen chandler in person on gamedays
Hi completion rates and into "windows" is an indication of a QB that can anticipate where to throw it and understands how to "throw a receiver open" which sounds easier than it is. In addition, a QB has to be willing to throw the 50/50 ball and trust their receiver to go get it, whomever the QB is he will have the receivers to do just that. Cal has talent at WR and RB.
eastcoastcal

An RB room of Ott, Cardwell, and Stredick = 3 monsters...
eastcoastcal
Goobear
If true how did the retaining Angus strategy work out? Hopefully Wilcox will not fall for that again.
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.
JTfromClash
Monroe Young posted he is coming back!

Didn't he get his BA a couple of years ago? Working another Masters? Certificate?
Shocky1
eastcoastcal said:

ec, this is my favorite graphic of any monster era (really like how jaydn is giving ashton the side eye grin letting his brah know he knows how hard he's worked to get to this point on the ec summit), thank you for helping me laugh out loud/spit out all of my 32 oz green drink on my new tiny mutt foster doggie benji the barker, gonna tell her soon that she's gonna be a forever schulzie, there will be no walking her to the car, we will always walk/hike each other home (up the mountain), she is not alone

forever is not enough#

Shocky1
KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.
respectfully disagree koream, there was too much drama in the most "fragile" room in the program during the 2022 season, aristotle gotta lotta grey hairs this season juggling egos

as someone who used to umpire little league games, shocky is not a fan of little league "tiger" parents

now we got 2 superstar running backs that can play together at times in coach spav's 2 back sets & 2 speed guys who are ready to roll off the bench/return punts & kickoffs at a moment's ******* notice on gamedays, everybody knows & accepts their roles...hopefully coach thompson is not gonna screw up the finally perfect room chemistry by adding another ego back that demands snaps

and let's be very clear, ima not talking about consummate team player decarlos brooks who got his berkeley degree before returning home to asu

there is only 1 football (real talk)#
Shocky1
UrsineMaximus said:

Shocky1 said:

jb, we're gonna know a lot more about coach bloesch's developmental skills of cal's monster offensive line at the 2023 spring game, his social media recruiting skills are nearly non existent (his last post is re: a prospect who signed with asu) as wuz his decision to coach the mean greenies in a meaningless bowl game instead of 100% focusing on california golden bear recruiting
Are u defending him or lining up excuses? I care not, but understand why a person would want to "finish" what they started. So, he gets a pass for coaching his kids in a bowl game. On the other hand, having no to little social media presence, in this day and age, is problematic.
probably neither ursine, just tryna b honest in my assessment

coach wilcox said on signing day that coach bloesch got nationwide recruiting contacts, that may or may not be true as the majority of mike's past recruits have been texas/southern state prospects & many of them with gpas that would not qualify them for berkeley admissions

don't believe the monster?...check out the hometowns for the mean greenies offensive line this season, ok?...this is not nationwide or even west coast recruiting
https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/2022

coach bloesch gotta get rolling, he's at a huge disadvantage to someone like scott huff who has been recruiting for a while the top dozen plus offensive lineman on the west coast that got high gpas & imo mike would've benefited from that additional week of 100% focus on recruiting for cal's monster offensive line & not some meaningless bowl game with his "kids"

and not having an active social media presence is not gonna work in the year 2023
UrsineMaximus
Shocky1 said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Shocky1 said:

jb, we're gonna know a lot more about coach bloesch's developmental skills of cal's monster offensive line at the 2023 spring game, his social media recruiting skills are nearly non existent (his last post is re: a prospect who signed with asu) as wuz his decision to coach the mean greenies in a meaningless bowl game instead of 100% focusing on california golden bear recruiting
Are u defending him or lining up excuses? I care not, but understand why a person would want to "finish" what they started. So, he gets a pass for coaching his kids in a bowl game. On the other hand, having no to little social media presence, in this day and age, is problematic.
probably neither ursine, just tryna b honest in my assessment

coach wilcox said on signing day that coach bloesch got nationwide recruiting contacts, that may or may not be true as the majority of mike's past recruits have been texas/southern state prospects & many of them with gpas that would not qualify them for berkeley admissions

don't believe the monster?...check out the hometowns for the mean greenies offensive line this season, ok?...this is not nationwide or even west coast recruiting
https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/2022

coach bloesch gotta get rolling, he's at a huge disadvantage to someone like scott huff who has been recruiting for a while the top dozen plus offensive lineman on the west coast that got high gpas & imo mike would've benefited from that additional week of 100% focus on recruiting for cal's monster offensive line & not some meaningless bowl game with his "kids"

and not having an active social media presence is not gonna work in the year 2023
Agreed, Bloesch has a lot to prove given his limited background. If he is a good coach, tbd, he does have some talent on the current staff albeit with limited experience and absolutely no depth. Bloesch will need to #earnit.
ducky23
Shocky1 said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.
respectfully disagree koream, there was too much drama in the most "fragile" room in the program during the 2022 season, aristotle gotta lotta grey hairs this season juggling egos

as someone who used to umpire little league games, shocky is not a fan of little league "tiger" parents

now we got 2 superstar running backs that can play together at times in coach spav's 2 back sets & 2 speed guys who are ready to roll off the bench/return kickoffs at a moment's ******* notice on gamedays, everybody knows & accepts their roles...hopefully coach thompson is not gonna screw up the finally perfect room chemistry by adding another ego back that demands snaps

and let's be very clear, ima not talking about consummate team player decarlos brooks who got his berkeley degree before returning home to asu

When Hayes's mom started complaining around game 3 that her freshman son wasn't getting enough snaps (on the same team as a freshman all American RB) that was a pretty red flag.
tequila4kapp
ducky23 said:

Shocky1 said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.

now we got 2 superstar running backs that can play together at times in coach spav's 2 back sets & 2 speed guys who are ready to roll off the bench/return kickoffs at a moment's ******* notice on gamedays, everybody knows & accepts their roles...hopefully coach thompson is not gonna screw up the finally perfect room chemistry by adding another ego back that demands snaps

When Hayes's mom started complaining around game 3 that her freshman son wasn't getting enough snaps (on the same team as a freshman all American RB) that was a pretty red flag.

There's a screenshot floating around of a diatribe. Not a pretty look. Having dealt with such parents a lot there's a real chance this ends up being addition by subtraction. I wish the kid well…somewhere else.
KoreAmBear
tequila4kapp said:

ducky23 said:

Shocky1 said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.

There's a screenshot floating around of a diatribe. Not a pretty look. Having dealt with such parents a lot there's a real chance this ends up being addition by subtraction. I wish the kid well…somewhere else.
Could be. I've also seen where the kid is solid but the parents/family are the ones that ruin it for them. Sounds like we are in good shape with Ott and Cardwell, but a little worried about the depth. Look at Furd they had to use a converted safety (who turned out to be pretty good).

Shocky1
JTfromClash said:

Monroe Young posted he is coming back!

Didn't he get his BA a couple of years ago? Working another Masters? Certificate?

luv this guy, this is why u buy season tix(s) for gamedays

the magic of cal football#
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

ducky23 said:

Shocky1 said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.

Could be. I've also seen where the kid is solid but the parents/family are the ones that ruin it for them. Sounds like we are in good shape with Ott and Cardwell, but a little worried about the depth. Look at Furd they had to use a converted safety (who turned out to be pretty good).

Yes, the way the room looks right now, we could weather one injury, but not two. And these are running backs we're talking about...

Hayes is now in the same situation as Millner. Hard to find a P5 program that would commit to him as a feature back. So does he take a step down (Nevada?), or does he compete at another program (basically the same situation he had at Cal). Or, does he test the waters and come back? If I were Cal in this situation, I would probably let him come back.

Probably, he goes to a team where he has to compete, but that the competition looks a little less daunting than Ott/Cardwell.
Econ141
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

ducky23 said:

Shocky1 said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.

Yes, the way the room looks right now, we could weather one injury, but not two. And these are running backs we're talking about...

Hayes is now in the same situation as Millner. Hard to find a P5 program that would commit to him as a feature back. So does he take a step down (Nevada?), or does he compete at another program (basically the same situation he had at Cal). Or, does he test the waters and come back? If I were Cal in this situation, I would probably let him come back.

Probably, he goes to a team where he has to compete, but that the competition looks a little less daunting than Ott/Cardwell.

Ott, Cardwell, Stedrick, and The Jet... I think we are fine at RB.
Shocky1
Econ141 said:

100% agreed, recruit a high gpa pwo running back for the 2023 class to run with the scout team

drama free running back room for spring ball, let's roll baby

there's only 1 football (and aristotle is kinda running out of hair)#
Big C
Shocky1 said:

Econ141 said:

100% agreed, recruit a high gpa pwo running back for the 2023 class to run with the scout team

drama free running back room for spring ball, let's roll baby

there's only 1 football (and aristotle is kinda running out of hair)#

That's still a position of strength for us, but a little thin. And those are two average-size backs and two smaller backs. Congratts to Stedrick, who gets a schollie in this situatio. The Jet, as a true freshman, will be Shocky-size, but without the yoga flexibility.

Econ, that was the most Cal-positive post you've made in a long time.
KoreAmBear
Econ141 said:

Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

ducky23 said:

Shocky1 said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Sucks.

Oh yah the Jet. OK time to put everything into rebuilding the line during the rest of this portal signing period.
Shocky1
cal's monster offensive line recruiting update:

the staff is in quiet discussions with 6'2" 295 lbs stanford field general starting center drew metcalf from st john bosco high school who is a grad portal transfer with a remarkable 3 years of eligibility

drew is obviously not a dumb azz with a stanford degree in poli sci & a multiple time all pac 12 academic selection plus he can play the scottish bagpipes which isn't really a career choice or something for an ambitious guy that aspires to be the united states of america's future secretary of defense or director of the central intelligence agency

getting accepted into a berkeley grad school of interest to metcalf needs to happen, the cert program is not the academic path for this outstanding serious true student athlete who is a patriot in every sense of the word

stanford university=#2 tied ranked university in the united states of america
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
KoreAmBear
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/CiEeo0dvU9W

the staff is in quiet discussions with 6'2" 295 lbs stanford field general starting center drew metcalf from st john bosco high school who is a grad portal transfer with a remarkable 3 years of eligibility

drew is obviously not a dumb azz with a stanford degree in poli sci & a multiple time all pac 12 academic selection plus he can play the scottish bagpipes which isn't really a career choice or something for an ambitious guy that aspires to be the united states of america's future secretary of defense or director of the central intelligence agency

getting accepted into a berkeley grad school of interest to metcalf needs to happen, the cert program is not the academic path for this outstanding serious true student athlete who is a patriot in every sense of the word

https://instagr.am/p/CdBtEfTvAfr

stanford university=#2 tied ranked university in the united states of america

Let's go get some intelligent hogs!
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

coach bloesch has offered 1st team all wac 6'4" 300 lbs christy nkanu who is a portal transfer from southern utah & originally montreal who got 1 year of remaining eligibility...the well traveled nkanu went to st paul high school in santa fe spring california

christy has already tripped to arizona & and intends to take multiple official visits on an early january roadtrip in order to make a decision no later than january 10th

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked university in the world (including the best deli on planet earth, schwartz's on st laurent blvd)

very interesting final 5 no longer includes arizona...christy is a key cal's monster offensive line tackle target particularly as both the left & right tackle starting positions will be wide open competitions in berkeley this spring

wheels up (january multi state road trip)#

christy has decided that with time & logistical considerations in mind that with the portal transfer official visits recruiting window only open january 4th thru the 8th to travel to only 3 of his 5 finalists, it's looking very likely that this roadtrip will include berkeley but there are no guarantees

nkanu gave up 1 sack last year in 323 pass protection snaps, there can be little doubt that this elite talent would start at one of the tackle positions for the bears in 2023 in his final year of eligibility & also note that christy got the versatility to flip to guard if necessary

the monster is watching this speed dating recruitment intently, it's that important for cal's monster offensive line
Shocky1
christy, do u really want to room with this guy at byu?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

fun monster homework assignment for christy nkanu as assigned by doechii:

christy, please write the current forbes rankings for each of the following 5 schools using the link below, ok?

*****university of california, berkeley

*****troy university

*****brigham young university

*****university of virginia

*****washington state university

r u gonna beat the statistics? (but don't forget the travel logistics)#
christy, let's be real here, at some point in ur future football is gonna be done with you & then ur gonna be competing in a highly competitive global economy that favors the well educated from schools like cal, stanford & the ivy leagues

if you add a byu mba to a southern utah degree ur academic resume is not gonna open any doors outside of utah, u understand that, rite?...brah, do u really wanna live in freezing azz the rest of ur life, r u considering the logistics?

do ur homework, christy, do ur homework...a berkeley designation changes ur future financial upside, don't be a dumb azz & not consider the statistics

yeah ima the monster under ur bed

50 year decision (life after football)#
Shocky1
on the field during warm ups late in the season in speaking with the girlfriend of one of the walks ons that lives with ashton hayes it's very clear that he's been pretty unhappy with his role on the football team for some time

still hoping ashton decides to return from the portal & compete for snaps in the running back room & earn his degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world but this is not just a little league moms issue

there's only 1 football#
Shocky1

right now the bears got 21 publicly (and several more that are awaiting student athlete disclosures) announced scholly departures:

daniel scott, safety...out of eligibility
odua isibor, edge defender...out of eligiblity
jamieson sheahan, punter...out of eligilbity
braxton croteau, outside linebacker...medical retirement
kyle smith, inside linebacker...graduation
orin patu, edge defender...grad transfer to arizona
patrick histake, edge defender...portal to hawaii...no berkeley degree
femi oladejo, linebacker...portal to ucla...no berkeley degree
trey paster, linebacker...portal as grad transfer
ben coleman, guard...grad transfer to asu
spencer lovell, guard...portal as grad transfer
nick alftin, tight end...portal as grad transfer
keleki latu, tight end...portal...no berkeley degree
ashton hayes, running back...portal...no berkeley degree
chris street, running back...portal...no berkeley degree
damien moore, running back...portal...no berkeley degree
decarlos brooks, running back...grad transfer portal to asu
slater zellers, longsnapper...grad transfer portal to asu
dario longhetto, kicker...portal as grad transfer
jack plummer, quarterback...grad transfer portal to louisville
kai milner, quarterback...portal...no berkeley degree
WalterSobchak
Shocky1

christy, did you read wired in to the cougs coaching staff jeff hansen's full article?

"OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

What we're expecting: BYU doesn't necessarily have a need at offensive line, but the Cougars have already proven that they want depth upon depth in Darrell Funk's room. If the right name comes up, BYU will push.

BYU missed on a pair of JUCO tackles they were making a late run for before signing day. That means the Cougars will now move towards the transfer portal and try to add to the offensive line depth there. They have lost Clair Barrington and Cambell Barrington to Baylor, Talin Togiai to the portal, and Blake Freeland and Harris LaChance to the NFL draft. BYU still has depth next year. Kingsley Suamataia announced he will be coming back to Provo, something that wasn't always a certainty. Connor Pay will be back as well. Lisala Tai, Sione Veikoso (RIP died yesterday in Hawaii), and Brayden Keim will be the favorites to start with Peter Falaniko and Vae Soifua providing depth. An extra body or two would go a long way for the Cougars."
https://247sports.com/college/byu/LongFormArticle/Potential-BYU-Transfer-Additions-Were-Watching-For-201397236/#201397236_4

byu honor code does not apply to football coaches & the publisher of their insider fan board from making up **** for unsuspecting recruits, the buyer had better beware in provo

christy nkanu=an extra body or two in provo...depth upon depth in provo

JB was a Chieftain
Shocky1 said:

christy, did you read wired in to the cougs coaching staff jeff hansen's full article?

"OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

What we're expecting: BYU doesn't necessarily have a need at offensive line, but the Cougars have already proven that they want depth upon depth in Darrell Funk's room. If the right name comes up, BYU will push.

BYU missed on a pair of JUCO tackles they were making a late run for before signing day. That means the Cougars will now move towards the transfer portal and try to add to the offensive line depth there. They have lost Clair Barrington and Cambell Barrington to Baylor, Talin Togiai to the portal, and Blake Freeland and Harris LaChance to the NFL draft. BYU still has depth next year. Kingsley Suamataia announced he will be coming back to Provo, something that wasn't always a certainty. Connor Pay will be back as well. Lisala Tai, Sione Veikoso (RIP died yesterday in Hawaii), and Brayden Keim will be the favorites to start with Peter Falaniko and Vae Soifua providing depth. An extra body or two would go a long way for the Cougars."
https://247sports.com/college/byu/LongFormArticle/Potential-BYU-Transfer-Additions-Were-Watching-For-201397236/#201397236_4

byu honor code does not apply to football coaches & the publisher of their insider fan board from making up **** for unsuspecting recruits, the buyer had better beware in provo

christy nkanu=an extra body or two in provo...depth upon depth in provo

RIP to BYU OL who passed away
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

loosely edited transcript from 12:42 pm on saturday september 10th, 2022 at memorial stadium:

4th gen bear (waving at me, he sits 3 rows down on the 50 yard line in around the 25th row): hey shocky, get over here, there's somebody i want you to meet, joel brown

shocky (fist bumping): what up, joel, ima shocky, your my favorite player, you gotta lotta energy except when you dribble with you head down to nowhere

joel: well, thanks i guess

shocky: so what's your gpa?

joel: pretty good, i'm going to graduate from the haas business school

shocky : me too, glad your not a dumb azz, are you working on your crooked azz shooting?

4th gen bear is kinda shaking his head, how did this conversation go so far off the rails he's wondering

shocky: hey randy should hook you up with his friend who is the shooting whisperer, don't be fooled by the fact that he's a girl's high school basketball coach at pinewood high school, he knows his stuff

joel: well actually coach fox has been working with me on my stroke this summer, this is my first real summer staying in berkeley

shocky: show me

joel demonstrates the new stroker for the shockster with an imaginary basketball, his elbow is perpendicular to the basket kinda like pure shooters j-mat and the bird, there's no more of that protruding chicken elbow that has marred his stroke in past seasons

shocky (getting excited): dude, that stroke is a 1000% better, your the only +1 athlete on the team, there's literally no reason you can't attack the baket this season knowing you can knock down the free throws when you get hacked by defenders that are gonna be a step too late to your blur game...what's gonna be your free throw percentage this season?

joel (with a big azz smile): thanks, hope to shoot in the high 80s this season...think in the past i kinda let the mental part of shooting bother me too much plus maybe i wasn't in as good as shape and my legs let me down particularly late in games

shocky (nodding his head): yeah your shot has been way too flat during your time in berkeley, do you know where your shots miss, are you familiar with splatter charts?

joel: no

shocky: splatter charts are used in the nba by scouts and player development coaches to determine where shots are missed, are they left or right which is a huge red flag or are they missed long or short?

joel (deep in thought): last season most of my misses were usually short

shocky: right and that's because your shots had too low of a flat trajectory because of the chicken wing stroke and also because you weren't driving with your legs fluidly thru the stroke...dude, your good to go now, can't wait to see you ball out this season

joel: thanks, really looking forward to playing with our improved talent this season, playing with devin askew is gonna be really fun

shocky: well, that's good to hear, i got high hopes for you joel, do you speak canadian?

the magic of cal basketball (cal's monster class)#
https://instagr.am/p/Ck4mi_xrPDC
the time is now (let's ******* go)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

why did the bears win the last game?

after a 6 year absence the monster has 2 areas of game planning emphasis...first of all he vocally implored lars "to demand the ball, lars, demand the ball" which resulted in successful point blank shots around the rim

secondly, the monster vocally coached up joel "to attack the basket, joel, attack the basket, let it fly with fun and freedom" which resulted in successful drives to the basket for buckets, free throws & most importantly smiles

this team got enuf talent to win games but they need the monster there vocally demanding no shots over a couple of feet unless they are wide open uncontested three pointers late in the shot clock
california golden bears 80
colorado buffaloes 76

congrats to joel (21 points on 9-14 field goals mostly from point blank while attacking the basket) & lars (great 1st half demanding the ball, poor coaching to not stick with that in the 2nd half) for their impressive year ending victory at their haas

the monster 3 areas of focus game planning strategy outlined above is a winning formula, will we see it again in 2023 or what?

not sure if the monster will ever attend 150+ consecutive cal basketball games again but it wuz fun to watch from further afar including the heart attack finish

best wishes to all bears across the globe & hope all ur azz palming dreams come true tonite

https://instagr.am/p/BDilZUghHeU
don't be a dumb azz (better to palm a tight azz)#
Shocky1

*****attention all recruits for cal's 2023 yucky blucky fruitcake class*****

know who's contacting you

this is a reminder that all official actionable offers will come through communication from either doechii or shocky...don't be a dumb azz

https://instagr.am/p/BG2c9tghHcW
the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including north scottsdale)
KenBurnski
Happy NY to the Shockster and to all the Monsters out there.
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 321

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.