cal's monster offensive line

1,744,386 Views | 10816 Replies | Last: 38 min ago by Econ141
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

econ, and that's apparently why chancellor chryst opted to directly handle the board of regents ucla matter without involving her athletic director

so it's kinda funny (and sad) to hear multiple fans/donors tell me that knowlton tole them that it wuz "50/50" that ucla would be blocked from joining the big 10 when it wuz really more like a less than .1% hail mary pass

the con artist got no problem making **** up, hopefully he'll give an update in the next knowlton notes re: the fundraising for the $125,00,000+ quidditch facility

still waiting for that bearinsider.com interview with the con artist & if he declines to do so the details of his avoidance tactics along with an editorial recommending the termination of the con artist

just a trick of the lights (watch the shells carefully)#
I might add it was the Chancellor who directly met with donors on conference realignment, without Knowlton.

That is really interesting but raises SO many questions. It is great that she is so involved, but this not even close to her area of expertise, so where is the expertise for her to rely upon? Knowlton is paid, what $1.2 million a year? For what? Or is this an indication he is out?

However, I have said before that it would be great for Christ to increasingly outsource more of the AD decision making and functions to an alum/booster run not-for-profit so I'd like to think this is the beginning.

Eventually, instead of a secret group of donors making the decisions, it would be great to have a formal open organization (Cal Legends?) with shares based on contributions and with shareholders voting for a board and their selecting a president (a Cal alum in pro sports management?) who would effectively be a shadow AD, able to conduct negotiations and operate daily, but whenever possible putting matters to a general vote, with results per share or per shareholder as applicable.

I think it would generate a lot of interest and donations and make the debates on these boards much more meaningful because instead of arguing and making points that the decision makers tge iniversity dejects will never hear, the arguments and debates will be amount the decision makers, the people who really care about Cal athletics.
In football, NIL is moving things away from the schools. I don't know how long that will last, since a lot of collective are not run with the integrity of Cal Legends (witness what happened to Rashada). But you make a legit point to suggest that the balance of power is moving away from administrators to donors when it comes to revenue sports. The degree to which University stakeholders will find that acceptable remains to be seen.

Exactly, it is the way things are going but I am hoping Cal can be on the leading edge and get there with a rational plan. If anything, it will let the chancellor focus on the core mission of the university. Knowlton can be more of a project manager and administrator, less of a decision maker. If Knowlton is replaced it can be with an administrator who is paid more in line with other university administrators. It could be a means for more widespread and increased alumni engagement.
Shocky1
calalumnus, while you get points for creativity, adding another layer of bureaucracy to the already bureaucratically inept athletic department that already got like 50+ associate athletic directors does not make organizational efficiency sense to me as a haas b-school grad

it does make sense to show some patience & await chancellor chryst (or the next chancellor) to walk the con artist (tole me to my face at football games that "bill musgrave is a genius," that "mark (fox) has the respect of his players" and that he don't "listen to the internet warrior tough guys" which has then been repeated to me verbatim by my friend the dumb azz califortunate) to his car & hire andrew mcgraw

why don't the bearinsider.com interview the former pasatiempo high school quarterback?

Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CeRTP5glKCH
the 2024 cal junior day experience this saturday will include a presentation by coach wilcox called "Why not Cal?" (which is direct theft of the speech i ghostwrote for coach martin back during the cal's monster class), "Life after Football" which talks about the 40 (should be 50) year decision/value proposition of a berkeley degree & a chance to tour the campus and sleuth out some of the very intimate crooks & nannies for a late nite romantic sexy yoga rendevous for those with roommates who study in the room all nite, have these people never ******* heard of libraries like doe or moffett or something?

https://instagr.am/p/CV6ekyLv_qw
yeah shocky wishes he roomed with a rescue dog/mutt or two during his time in berkeley rather than a human being(s)...the monster (despite playing the sport all thru hs) is not a baseball fan but the dugout, the batting cage & even the pitcher's mound at evans diamond r great spots at 1:46 am

do u got a roommate? (**** me)#
Shocky1
wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

econ, and that's apparently why chancellor chryst opted to directly handle the board of regents ucla matter without involving her athletic director

so it's kinda funny (and sad) to hear multiple fans/donors tell me that knowlton tole them that it wuz "50/50" that ucla would be blocked from joining the big 10 when it wuz really more like a less than .1% hail mary pass

the con artist got no problem making **** up, hopefully he'll give an update in the next knowlton notes re: the fundraising for the $125,00,000+ quidditch facility

still waiting for that bearinsider.com interview with the con artist & if he declines to do so the details of his avoidance tactics along with an editorial recommending the termination of the con artist

I might add it was the Chancellor who directly met with donors on conference realignment, without Knowlton.
this is what is known in the real world as a 100% lack of confidence vote which is akin to coach wilcox surreptitiously bringing in coach tim plough at the end of the 2022 season to handle play calling duties/design instead of billy m for the last couple of games
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

this is what is known in the real world as a 100% lack of confidence vote which is akin to coach wilcox surreptitiously bringing in coach tim plough at the end of the 2022 season to handle play calling duties/design instead of billy m for the last couple of games
Lack of confidence in Knowlton is one thing. But the Chancellor wants to keep all the sports and will continue to be part of the reason that Cal revenue sports suffer. She believes in diverting revenues to the non revenue sports rather than doing what is needed to make the revenue sports stronger. Part of why Cal is hoping and praying for a B1G lifeline is the dismal performance of the revenue sports. You know the ones that TV likes and will pay for. But the poor performance has lead to poor attendance and TV ratings. So the attraction of Cal is low in the eyes of media folks. The B1G Presidents love Cal's academic profile, but this is a TV revenue deal at its core and Cal has lost its way in regards to revenue sports.

Cal is unlikely to ever select a Chancellor that is all in on the revenue sports. So sure getting rid of Knowlton would help, but the problem is deeper than Knowlton. Much deeper.

The only real lifeline would be an invite to the B1G as a full member with full shares. Since that is unlikely the next best thing is a B1G invite with reduced shares. Staying in the P12 is not a long term solution. It is a bandage covering a major wound.
DiabloWags
Econ141 said:

Knowlton is beaming with pride with the men's water polo championship he helped them to win.

You're funny!

Although I did hear from a player after the match that they saw Knowlton in the pool celebrating with other fans.
Lower right corner?

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
6956bear said:

Lack of confidence in Knowlton is one thing. But the Chancellor wants to keep all the sports and will continue to be part of the reason that Cal revenue sports suffer. She believes in diverting revenues to the non revenue sports rather than doing what is needed to make the revenue sports stronger.

In your narrative about Christ "diverting revenues to non-revenue" sports, you conveniently ignore what cutting a woman's sport would do to Cal, not too mention that many of the non-revenue sports have a core group of wealthy long-term donors. The fact that the $18 Million Dollar Legend's Aquatics Complex was built without any money from the athletic department should tell you as much. You also conveniently ignore how many times Christ has bailed out the athletic department with her checkbook, not too mention how she took away the seismic debt of Memorial Stadium, off the books of the athletic department.

I hope that you're aware that as soon as Cal cuts a women's sport, they wind up going into the "penalty" box in regards to Title IX compliance. It's not all that easy to do, as Sandy Barbour found out. Cal will be required to comply with Title IX on a strict numbers basis and ratio of male-to-female undergrads representing its sports teams . . . as opposed to the "touchy/feely" subjective basis (via surveys to female undergrads) that Cal is . . .progressing towards compliance.

I dont pretend to know where the current male to female ratio is for Cal's sports teams and how far away it is from what the current undergraduate population gender ratio is. There have been roster cuts to men's teams over the past 5 years to get the school closer towards compliance and cut spending. Perhaps someone here more knowledgeable than me can chime in on where we are in terms of actual Title IX compliance.

Shocky1

6956, glad to hear that chancellor chryst (who has directed more money from the chancellor's discretionary fund than any other chancellor in berkeley's history to athletics & also bailed out the upside down financing for memorial stadium) has directly told you that she "wants to keep all the sports" but the monster is of the opinion that the hockey playing james arthur knowlton (who grew up in western massachusetts never playing/going to football or basketball games growing up) is the primary disease afflicting cal's revenue sports/financially unsustainable 30+ sports/multiple costly present & future lawsuits/unilaterally renewing contracts for losing coaches/failed fundraising for a basketball practice facility/hiring & retaining worthless incompetent bureaucrats such as jennifer simon-o'neil, cfo tom lowry (who he recruited from the air force, his anti football bias is obvious within 5 minutes of talking with him) & markeisha everett who is responsible for the failure (due to the untalented & non creative vasilelos iliopoulos) to oversee successful season tix selling campaigns, a bloated 11 person communications dept & also a worser football gameday experience at memorial stadium and that hiring andrew mcgraw to rightsize the inept & bureaucratically inflated athletic department will fix 90%+ of the current problems

and guess what, william faulkner (and an increasing # of major donors) agrees with me

Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

What is the 7 step plan when you are named AD shocky? I want to know how Cal can be saved

jb, the following 7 step plan will be completed by future athletic director andrew mcgraw during his first 30 days in office after jk is walked to his car:

1) burn all of the con artist's hockey photos/signed trading cards and fake architectural renderings of his proposed $125,000,000+ quidditch facility in the dumpster behind haas

2) cut the following men's sports thereby creating the necessary male athlete count reductions to facilitate a comparable number (155 slots) of female reductions in compliance with title ix to rightsize knowlton's current empire of 30+ teams that are financially unsustainable:

men's rugby (58 roster slots): advise bully jack clark the rugby program will move forward as a club sport

baseball (36 roster slots): advise stu gordon why this needs to happen for the overall health of the athletic department & then repurpose evans diamond for greater university needs including expansion of rsf to ensure that the athletic needs of ALL berkeley students are met

soccer (28 roster slots): nobody gives a **** about this team

cross country (13 roster slots): currently an all white team that consistently loses to bay area division 3 schools, mark fox level of ineptitude

men's gymnastics (20 roster slots): shocky & hoop dreams will buy everybody on the team annual passes to hella yoga thru their graduations, problem solved

evaluate the termination of both track teams & the impact upon black student athletes gaining admissions opportunities to berkeley and the repurposing of edwards stadium

the above 155 slots from the men's programs will basically allow a comparable cut of 155 counters among the women's program for a total of 310 reduction in athletes & a corresponding elimination of almost half the current positions in a bureaucratically inept & bloated athletic department

plz note that all affected student athletes will have their schollys honored thru graduation

3) terminate mark fox & advise doug goldman & the haas family that joe pasternak (who will hire theo robertson & richard midgely as assistant coaches along with an under 25 young black coach with major upside & lou richie as an academic/life analyst and andrew payne as the director of basketball operations) will be the next head coach and ask for their support in funding a much scaled back significantly less expensive men's & women's basketball only facility (bishop o'dowd just built a similar facility for $40,000,000) and also nil support for bears basketball players

4) terminate the employment of the following worthless bureaucrats:

teri mckeever: evil as **** she's gonna sue berkeley no matter what anyways

jennifer simon-o'neil: mckeever's enabler, runs the department's unsuccessful women's programs such as volleyball, basketball, field hockey, cross country, golf, etc.

tom lowry: hired from the air force with an anti football bias

markeisha everrett: completely unqualified having never worked on the west coast or sold football/basketball tixs, abject failure to rightsize the 11 person communications dept to 2-3 staffers

5) set up advisory committees for football (shane vareen, jared goff, beastmode, cam jordan, etc.) & men's basketball (shareef abdur rahim, jason kidd, jaylen brown, lamond murray, etc.) to ensure both revenue producing teams receive the necessary funding for program excellence

6) make all football & men's basketball tickets free for students & gift them the best seats in the haas to ensure a future season tixs & major whale donor pipeline

7) appoint shocky as the recruiting/nutrition/movement director for the dance/cheer teams to ensure a solid team of curvy brunette yoga females with high gpas & tight azzs, the monster will be very active in transfer portal targeting asu grads with yoga backgrounds

https://instagr.am/p/B8FaO5vHD-f
the bears are off to the races (in cipriani's basement)#
wags, that swimming foto is very cool, is that the swimming equivalent of stormin' the field/court?

finding the con artist in that foto is kinda like playing "where's waldo?"

here's the plan to cut teams & still be in compliance with title ix requirements (note that swimming & water polo are protected sports due to donor direct support)
socaliganbear
DiabloWags said:

6956bear said:

Lack of confidence in Knowlton is one thing. But the Chancellor wants to keep all the sports and will continue to be part of the reason that Cal revenue sports suffer. She believes in diverting revenues to the non revenue sports rather than doing what is needed to make the revenue sports stronger.

In your narrative about Christ "diverting revenues to non-revenue" sports, you conveniently ignore what cutting a woman's sport would do to Cal, not too mention that many of the non-revenue sports have a core group of wealthy long-term donors. The fact that the $18 Million Dollar Legend's Aquatics Complex was built without any money from the athletic department should tell you as much. You also conveniently ignore how many times Christ has bailed out the athletic department with her checkbook, not too mention how she took away the seismic debt of Memorial Stadium, off the books of the athletic department.

I hope that you're aware that as soon as Cal cuts a women's sport, they wind up going into the "penalty" box in regards to Title IX compliance. It's not all that easy to do, as Sandy Barbour found out. Cal will be required to comply with Title IX on a strict numbers basis and ratio of male-to-female undergrads representing its sports teams . . . as opposed to the "touchy/feely" subjective basis (via surveys to female undergrads) that Cal is . . .progressing towards compliance.

I dont pretend to know where the current male to female ratio is for Cal's sports teams and how far away it is from what the current undergraduate population gender ratio is. There have been roster cuts to men's teams over the past 5 years to get the school closer towards compliance and cut spending. Perhaps someone here more knowledgeable than me can chime in on where we are in terms of actual Title IX compliance.

Why create this straw man? You can easily find and cut 5 sports teams that do not include women and/or aquatics which are well funded. You can easily do this because we have soooo many sports.
DiabloWags
socaliganbear said:

Why create this straw man? You can easily find and cut 5 sports teams that do not include women and/or aquatics which are well funded. You can easily do this because we have soooo many sports.

Name them.

Shocky1
just did
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

6956, glad to hear that chancellor chryst (who has directed more money from the chancellor's discretionary fund than any other chancellor in berkeley's history to athletics & also bailed out the upside down financing for memorial stadium) has directly told you that she "wants to keep all the sports" but the monster is of the opinion that the hockey playing james arthur knowlton (who grew up in western massachusetts never playing/going to football or basketball games growing up) is the primary disease afflicting cal's revenue sports/financially unsustainable 30+ sports/multiple costly present & future lawsuits/unilaterally renewing contracts for losing coaches/failed fundraising for a basketball practice facility/hiring & retaining worthless incompetent bureaucrats such as jennifer simon-o'neil, cfo tom lowry (who he recruited from the air force, his anti football bias is obvious within 5 minutes of talking with him) & markeisha everett who is responsible for the failure (due to the untalented & non creative vasilelos iliopoulos) to oversee successful season tix selling campaigns & also a worser football gameday experience and that hiring andrew mcgraw to rightsize the inept & bureaucratically inflated athletic department will fix 90%+ of the current problems

and guess what, william faulkner (and an increasing # of major donors) agrees with me

Shocky, there are lots of reasons and people responsible for the miserable state of Cal's revenue sports and gameday experiences. But the Chancellor has given a raise and extension to Knowlton. It runs through 2029. How is that helpful?

But if Knowlton is the cancer, and I agree he is, why the extension? Why does his bonus program not have team onfield/on court success as a measure? Who does Knowlton report to? I am in agreement that the department is bloated. That Knowlton has through both action and inaction hurt the gameday experiences. But he reports to the Chancellor.

If you and an increasing # of major donors agree when should we expect all donations to cease until Knowlton is removed? Will there be a sit in in front of the Chancellors office demanding that Knowlton be removed? The Chancellor has done some good things for the department, yet seems committed to current AD and how he is running the department. She can force change if she wants change.

Yes there are a lot of different hills to die on. But one thing Cal has never truly done is make football the revenue driving engine it could be. We sit here today hoping for either an invite to the B1G or some media company or companies to come to the rescue and provide dollars to a program that oversees the worst revenue programs in all of P5. The combined wins in football and mens hoops is 7. The winning %combined is 15%. the conference winning % is 17% combined.

So yes Knowlton needs to go. Now. But he should never have been extended. He should never have been allowed to unilaterally add another year to every coaches contract. These things are not done in a vacuum. This Chancellor may be better than most of the previous Chancellors in regards to athletic support, but she is overseeing one of the worst (maybe the worst) periods of Cal revenue sports ever. Her response. Extend the AD.

I have worked with a number of incompent managers in my life. Generally speaking they are doing the bidding of the leaders. Knowlton may hate football. But he is a paid employee and needs to generate revenues. That will not be done by ignoring football and mens hoops. And by allowing his employment to continue the Chancellor is part of the concern. She is doing many great things outside athletics and I am mostly supportive of her efforts. But this is a sports forum related to the University of California. And there is no reason that the football program and others should be in this position.

Oh wait. Yes there is. It is the leadership.
Shocky1
6956, the 78 year old chancellor christ's only sin wuz believing (she doesn't anymore) the con artist's lies re: the northwestern athletic director recruiting process & making a poor decision to extend him at an average salary of $1,300,000+ thru 2029

trust me, carol knows now that she got played by the con artist

knowlton's time in berkeley is ticking down
socaliganbear
DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

Easy, cut men's soccer, men's gym, men's XC, baseball, and demote Rugby to club.
Oakbear
Shocky1 said:

6956, the 78 year old chancellor christ's only sin wuz believing (she doesn't anymore) the con artist's lies re: the northwestern athletic director recruiting process & making a poor decision to extend him at an average salary of $1,300,000+ thru 2029

it is interesting, the best company I worked for , was very successful and got bought out

they had a policy, if someone told them they had a better offer, they told them to take it .. Christ should have told JK that .. my boss basically said, if someone wants to play "I may leave" games, I refuse to play, let them go .. and it was known in the company that this was the policy ..

the boss was a Cal grad and avid Bear Backer, I imagine if turning over in a grave is real, he is doing that
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

I hope you're correct. I will believe it when I see it. Knowlton is a BIG problem, but he does not do his "work" in a vacuum. Somebody is signing off and allowing this ****show to go on.
DiabloWags
socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

Easy, cut men's soccer, men's gym, men's XC, baseball, and demote Rugby to club.

Cut Men's XC?

That doesnt even begin to move the needle.
There are only a dozen guys on that roster.

Rugby will never get demoted.
It has a vast base of wealthy donors and the program needs to "tag" recruits at the admissions office.

Barbour tried to cut Baseball.
How did that work out?

Sorry, but it's not that "easy" as you claim.

socaliganbear
DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

Cut Men's XC?

It has a vast base of wealthy donors and the program needs to "tag" recruits at the admissions office.

How did that work out?

I didn't claim they were easy to cut. Obviously it's not easy hence it hasn't happened yet. What I said was it was easy to find sports to cut that did not impact your straw man argument which focused strictly on women's and aquatic sports.

There are sports we can cut. That we do not have the leadership to get it done is a separate matter.
6956bear
DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

Cut Men's XC?

How did that work out?

I agree that it is not easy. But if you do not produce revenues you must make cuts. If not the sports themselves there is a lot of bloat in the overall athletic department. The staff directory is huge. And many of these positions can likely be eliminated or combined.

Bureaucrats do what they always do. Add to the bureacracy with little to no accountability. Leaders take action. Still looking for some sign of real leadership.
DiabloWags
6956bear said:

I agree that it is not easy. But if you do not produce revenues you must make cuts. If not the sports themselves there is a lot of bloat in the overall athletic department. The staff directory is huge. And many of these positions can likely be eliminated or combined.

Bureaucrats do what they always do. Add to the bureacracy with little to no accountability. Leaders take action. Still looking for some sign of real leadership.

I would agree with you 100%
The Cal Athletic Department has become "bloated" over the years with all kinds of layers.
Especially since the days of Sandy Barbour.

DiabloWags
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

wags, that swimming foto is very cool, is that the swimming equivalent of stormin' the field/court?

finding the con artist in that foto is kinda like playing "where's waldo?"

Yes, that photo was from our NCAA Championship over USC this year at Spieker.
It was so nuts, that people were jumping into the pool, including members of the Cal Women's B-Ball team.

13 - 12.was the FINAL

For me, it ranked right up there with THE PLAY when I was a senior undergrad at Cal.
We were down 12 - 8 with one period left to play and it just didnt seem like our day.

Cal and Sc bands were in attendance and it's a HUGE rivalry with tons of alums and parents in the stands. But we had no momentum and 'Sc was very tough that day. It just seemed like they were on a 6 on 5 power play every time they were on offense. 'Sc alums were super smug during the break before the final period. They were doing their "V" signs and all had big smiles. This was just after 'Sc had gotten CRUSHED in the Pac-12 Championship against Utah on Friday night and tumbled down to #10 in the rankings from #4.

You just dont come back and score 5 STRAIGHT GOALS in an NCAA Championship Match. But CAL did and the rest is history. In fact, when we tied it up at 12 - 12 it's as though those 'Sc alums had seen a "ghost". The expressions on their faces was PRICELESS.

Next season, most of our starters are back and Cal goes for the Three Peat!

Personally, I've gotten to the point where I only attend Cal sporting events in which the coaches are Winners.
That means Water Polo, Swimming, Rugby, and the Throws Events in T&F where we have two athletes both ranked at #2 in the world because of coach Mo Saatara. Sad to say, you wont see me at a Cal Football or Basketball game; but I dont think I'm alone in that department.

wifeisafurd
6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

Lack of confidence in Knowlton is one thing. But the Chancellor wants to keep all the sports and will continue to be part of the reason that Cal revenue sports suffer. She believes in diverting revenues to the non revenue sports rather than doing what is needed to make the revenue sports stronger. Part of why Cal is hoping and praying for a B1G lifeline is the dismal performance of the revenue sports. You know the ones that TV likes and will pay for. But the poor performance has lead to poor attendance and TV ratings. So the attraction of Cal is low in the eyes of media folks. The B1G Presidents love Cal's academic profile, but this is a TV revenue deal at its core and Cal has lost its way in regards to revenue sports.

Cal is unlikely to ever select a Chancellor that is all in on the revenue sports. So sure getting rid of Knowlton would help, but the problem is deeper than Knowlton. Much deeper.

The only real lifeline would be an invite to the B1G as a full member with full shares. Since that is unlikely the next best thing is a B1G invite with reduced shares. Staying in the P12 is not a long term solution. It is a bandage covering a major wound.

JK has transferred money from revenue sports to shore-up huge defects in other sports. But we are passed C-19 or other excuses, the Chancellor has eliminated the debt and provided a substantial annual subsidy of $13.5 million for non-revenue sports deficits. So why the heck are we stealing money from revenue sports anymore?

I get that Title 9 is a financial burden (you guys can argue if that is theoretically desirable, the facts on the ground is that funding is needed), but with aquatics, men's golf, tennis, rugby, and some other sports essentially fully funded, why the heck are we running-up such large deficits? The problem, IMO, is bureaucratic Knowlton never makes a timely move. If the women's golf coach can't fundraise in a country club sport and also can't compete, fire her and hire former Cal golfer Sofie Aargard (the first three-time All-American in program history). She built Cal Poly's team into a conference champion and national power AND DUE TO HER FUNDRAISING, the program became fully funded. She just got sucked-up by WSU, so Cal missed its chance. The point being, Title 9 doesn't stand for not accountable. Instead, JK will take money from men's basketball and football because he won't make tough decisions. Again, if you are looking at JK's overall record, it is time for him to move on.
Econ141
wifeisafurd said:

6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

JK has transferred money from revenue sports to shore-up huge defects in other sports. But we are passed C-19 or other excuses, the Chancellor has eliminated the debt and provided a substantial annual subsidy of $13.5 million for non-revenue sports deficits. So why the heck are we stealing money from revenue sports anymore?

I get that Title 9 is a financial burden (you guys can argue if that is theoretically desirable, the facts on the ground is that funding is needed), but with aquatics, men's golf, tennis, rugby, and some other sports essentially fully funded, why the heck are we running-up such large deficits? The problem, IMO, is bureaucratic Knowlton never makes a timely move. If the women's golf coach can't fundraise in a country club sport and also can't compete, fire her and hire former Cal golfer Sofie Aargard (the first three-time All-American in program history). She built Cal Poly's team into a conference champion and national power AND DUE TO HER FUNDRAISING, the program became fully funded. She just got sucked-up by WSU, so Cal missed its chance. The point being, Title 9 doesn't stand for not accountable. Instead, JK will take money from men's basketball and football because he won't make tough decisions. Again, if you are looking at JK's overall record, it is time for him to move on.

Jesus - every post about JK just makes me realize how he is failing on so many different aspects. How is this job under a contract? He is not performing well at all - why can't we just fire the guy? How are contracts written up to allow for incompetence. Bad decision after bad decision. The above is extremely frustrating.
wifeisafurd
Econ141 said:

wifeisafurd said:

6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Shocky1 said:

Jesus - every post about JK just makes me realize how he is failing on so many different aspects. How is this job under a contract? He is not performing well at all - why can't we just fire the guy? How are contracts written up to allow for incompetence. Bad decision after bad decision. The above is extremely frustrating.
Just to dig even further, it is just not about lack of financial accountability. Women's golf came in last in the Pac again. There are other sports you could point to as problems as well, but as a country club sport, and Cal traditionally is good in these sports, there really are no excuses any more.
Bowlesman80
socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

Boo, especially cutting rugby. Men's soccer? I'm in.
"Just win, baby."
socaliganbear
Bowlesman80 said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

You don't need to fit them. Just make it a club sport like many of the schools they rack up meaningless wins against.
sycasey
socaliganbear said:

Bowlesman80 said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

You don't need to fit them. Just make it a club sport like many of the schools they rack up meaningless wins against.
Right, if there is already enough outside support (and there is) they should be able to survive just fine.
calfanz
sycasey said:

socaliganbear said:

Bowlesman80 said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

Right, if there is already enough outside support (and there is) they should be able to survive just fine.
Besides pride. what is the advantage to Rugby being a Varsity sport?
DiabloWags
calfanz said:

sycasey said:

socaliganbear said:

Bowlesman80 said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

I mentioned it in my previous post.
As a Varsity sport you get to "tag" recruits at the admission's office.
This is obviously very important if you're trying to compete.

As for "racking up meaningless wins" that's a statement by someone that clearly knows nothing about Varsity Rugby and most likely has never been to a match, let alone a Championship match against a handful of schools that have beaten CAL.

DiabloWags
wifeisafurd said:

Just to dig even further, it is just not about lack of financial accountability. Women's golf came in last in the Pac again. There are other sports you could point to as problems as well, but as a country club sport, and Cal traditionally is good in these sports, there really are no excuses any more.

Women's Volleyball comes to mind.

7 - 23 last season and 0 - 20 in Conference with a losing streak of 20 in a row.
And their best offensive player (Lydia Grote) hit the transfer portal in January..
HearstMining
Does the AD currently pay Jack Clark's salary? My kids played a club sport elsewhere, and the team (via players, donors, etc) payed the coach. It was definitely a just a part-time gig. I've heard that rugby is fully funded outside the AD so maybe that's where his salary comes from. If rugby becomes a club sport, wouldn't players lose access to all the training facilities (weight equipment, etc) currently used just by intercollegiate athletes?
DiabloWags
Jack Clark has regular pay of $210,176 + $20,000 in other pay = $230,176.00

2021 salaries for University of California | Transparent California
calfanz
DiabloWags said:

calfanz said:

sycasey said:

socaliganbear said:

Bowlesman80 said:

socaliganbear said:

DiabloWags said:

socaliganbear said:

Name them.

I mentioned it in my previous post.
As a Varsity sport you get to "tag" recruits at the admission's office.
This is obviously very important if you're trying to compete.

As for "racking up meaningless wins" that's a statement by someone that clearly knows nothing about Varsity Rugby and most likely has never been to a match, let alone a Championship match against a handful of schools that have beaten CAL.

Sounds like a few things need to be granted special exemptions to Rugby.

Access to training facilities, and ability to tag recruits. Seems with a bit of legislative genius the administration at Cal can make this happen.
DiabloWags
I would agree.
First Page Last Page
Page 77 of 310

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.