cal's monster offensive line

1,342,922 Views | 9091 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Shocky1
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

I grew up on Rivera. I find the golf course better today, than it was in my youth, despite the removal of the barranca, the reshaping of many golf holes, etc. The course has gone through several evolutions, and really looks less like the original design, and a lot of that is keeping up with changes in golf, There is a reason the guys on TV kept saying this is the pros' favorite course on the PGA Tour. The other thing about Rivera is you hardly ever see the other holes, and essentially each holes is separately framed by his use of topography, tee location and use of large trees.

Thomas tried to put as much architectural eye candy into his golf courses as possible, and the Hollywood crowd behind developing Rivera was prepared for that by funding what was the most costly course build-out of its time. What Thomas did was put a lot of different stuff to distract the average golfer, while developing one of the most strategic courses for good players. Every hole has several options in how you play it (another example of this is his LACC North Course). He probably is the most underrated architect in his ability to make a course strategic. My favorite short Par 4 in the world, number ten, is the premier example of this. It just freaking kills the pros every year. The testament to Thomas, is that so many later architects copied holes from Rivera. I'm a member at a David MClay Kidd course, and David put a freaking trap in the middle of the 18th green to honor Thomas. The history at Rivera is nice and everything, but the underlying course really places a premium on shot making, which is why the pros love it so much. Us mortals will focus on the eye candy, which also is okay. The idea was that members play a different game than Ben Hogan, and they should have their own challenges.

And to date myself, when I grew up, Oakmont was associated with pain and suffering inflicted on the pros, a lot of it owing to the impossible greens and the bunkering.
https://instagr.am/p/Ctwh7dtrWiq
alec, that's a terrific narrative & very enjoyable to read...the usga agrees with ur sentiments & is bringing the us open back to riviera in 2031!

my take is that tom fazio has left his fingerprints at riviera with his non faithful to george thomas ruinivation work, he also did the same modernization **** at bel aire until the club wisely hired tom doak to restore the original thomas features...bel aire has never been more FUN & authentic to its original design with ground game options in play on ever hole except 1 or 2 of the par 3s...fellow golf course architecture enthusiast (and riv member) geoff shackelford is leading the charge for the japanese ownership of the riv to fire the fazio group & bring in someone more qualified to reimagine the original features

https://instagr.am/p/CvueQBBsVtH
this is the era of outstanding restorations to the golden classic days of golf course architecture around the world and particularly in southern california, gil hanse magnificently reworking both the north & south courses at Los angeles country club in a prime example of the return to minimalism

https://instagr.am/p/Cte2vXMSCf_
also a big fan of the work david mcklay kidd did at rolling hills (ur club), kyle phillips stepping back in time vibes at wilshire & the gil hanse polishing the underrated gem at hillcrest

and for those of you that wanna just tee it up tomorrow without any headaches, rustic canyon is one of shocky's favorite public courses on planet earth, it's an amazing design for something like 40-50 bucks walking on weekdays with multiple strategic shot options on every hole with wicked greens
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Sounds like a great course. Still not a fan of things like bunkers on greens. I would probably have loved playing it. I have weird tastes in golf courses due to spending everyday of my formative years at 'cruddy' Lincoln in SF. It shaped (warped) my views on golf courses. Lakeside is not that exciting but it shaped my thoughts on tough golf courses. Doglegs one way, fairways that slope the other, never a level lie even though the course itself is not that hilly. Just subtle toughness. Oakmont with it's million bunkers sounds over the top. I don't really remember details of the course but I remember really liking playing Pasatiempo.

guess wut 82, the #1 priority west coast for me right now (other than coore & crenshaw's brambles in middletown)
is golden gate park's recently reopened after an extensive renovation par 3 course, gonna play it as soon as it stops raining in nor cal...in the golf architecture world, this tiny gem is all the rage
https://golf.com/travel/golden-gate-park-par-3-muni/

Get out!?
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I wish I could have played SF club. Not nearly rich enough nor are my friends.
look 82, shocky caddied at san francisco golf club during his stinson beach high school & berkeley school days (my moms wuz NOT a member) & got FREE playing privileges on mondays with the other caddies for highly spirited trash talking games...i remember winning 20 bucks with hawk (in his 50s) & offering to drive him home in my grandfather's beatermobile (oldsmobile), driving thru golden gate park he told me to just drop him off at the next stoplight...it wuzn't until a decade later driving thru the park that i realized that hawk wuz homeless

yeah i still play sfgc a couple of times a year (usually on fridays or early saturday mornings during home game weekends in the bay), will include you if possible next time

shocky is sometimes a dumb azz (including his inappropriate beer drinking comment today at modern yoga to a very fit classmate)#

Too late for me to enjoy SF club. I play once a year at Lincoln for a deceased friend on our 1973 SH golf team. That's my speed and I have to train to get through 18 easy holes. I wouldn't mind walking SF club but they probably wouldn't allow it. Thanks for the offer though. That's pretty sweet.
Shocky1
82gradDLSdad said:

Get out!?

beware the gf's crazy as **** family#
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CuHuy6dNDYM
the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for fashionistas that luv zimmerman too)
Shocky1
wifeisafurd said:

Be interesting to get Shock's take, but I have heard Oakmont is just grinding, especially the greens.

alec, the best way to enjoy oakmont is to just leave the scorecard in the golf bag for later completion during dinner in downtown pittsburgh overlooking the river...multiple 3 putts are a reality with the fastest greens in the world, augusta national's greens are more challenging with the more heavily controued slopes but the stimp readings at oakmont are off the charts/unrivaled...gently stroked 15 foot uphill putts accelerate past the hole leaving testy 5 footers coming back

but this foto of oakmont's iconic slightly uphill par 4 18th hole accurately depicts the more than adequate width of the landing zones (during regular club play, NOT us opens), oakmont is laid out on an epic scale with wide playing corridors...so one can play to their handicap tee to green (without ever losing a golf ball) but putting is a whole another deal & a sense of humour is a necessity

my world rankings for parkland (no close proximity to the sea/ocean or inland windswept links like sand hills) golf courses around the globe are as follows:

1) golf du morfontaine, paris, france

2) pine valley, clementon, new jersey

3) royal melbourne (west), australia

4t) sunningdale (old), london, england
4t) augusta national, georgia

5) winged foot (west), mamroneck, new york

6) st georges, toronto, canada

7) golf du pan, the netherlands

8) oakmont, pittsburgh, pennsylvania

9) riviera, los angeles, california

10t) merion (east), pennsylvania

10t) kingston heath, melbourne, australia

https://instagr.am/p/CvVQHgWJzM3
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CxQkn1VLdGr
the monster mailbag: just got an email from hard working premium account executive roger kristof (not pictured in the above foto) advising that premium seating clients got an open invitation to attend spring ball practices starting on march 18th including nfl pro day on march 21st & the spring game on april 20th

innovation in berkeley?#
bearsandgiants
Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Be interesting to get Shock's take, but I have heard Oakmont is just grinding, especially the greens.

alec, the best way to enjoy oakmont is to just leave the scorecard in the golf bag for later completion over dinner in downtown pittsburgh overlooking the river...multiple 3 putts are a reality with the fastest greens in the world, augusta national's greens are more challenging with the more heavily controued slopes but the stimp readings at oakmont are off the charts...gently stroked 15 foot uphill putts accelerate past the hole leaving testy 5 footers coming back

but this foto of oakmont's iconic slightly uphill par 4 18th hole accurately depicts the more than adequate width of the landing zones (during regular club play, NOT us opens), oakmont is laid out on an epic scale with wide playing corridors...so one can play to their handicap tee to green (without ever losing a golf ball) but putting is a whole another deal & a sense of humour is a necessity

my world rankings for parkland (no close proximity to the sea/ocean or inland windswept links like sand hills) golf courses around the globe are as follows:

Ahh yes, the majestic astroturf of the Hogan bridge! lol.
wifeisafurd
Shocky1 said:

wifeisafurd said:

alec, the best way to enjoy oakmont is to just leave the scorecard in the golf bag for later completion over dinner in downtown pittsburgh overlooking the river...multiple 3 putts are a reality with the fastest greens in the world, augusta national's greens are more challenging with the more heavily controued slopes but the stimp readings at oakmont are off the charts...gently stroked 15 foot uphill putts accelerate past the hole leaving testy 5 footers coming back

Good list. Most readers probably rolled their eyes at seeing Sunningdale listed tied with media darling Augusta. Those that have sufficient handicap can play the old and new Sunningdale courses, a better experience (IMO) than say visiting to golf Mecca Brandon Dunes. I have not seen Augusta, but I played over 20 rounds at Winged Foot as a junior, and drove (no golf at the time per doctors) the Royal Melbourne combined course, and old Sunningdale is right there. Glad to see the course get the credit it deserves.

Agreed, this really seems to be the period of the course restoration. BTW, one thing that makes Riv so great is that has what most of us think are the best groundskeeping staff on the west coast.
Pittstop
Shocky1 said:

Pittstop said:

Annual (or semi-annual) trips to Dallas/FW is practically a good for recruiting as semi-annual trips to L.A. Maybe we could schedule OOC games with UH, or UTSA in off years when we don't travel to Dallas for games. UTSA is only like 80 miles from Austin.
https://instagr.am/p/CPoZc06JkWf
100% pitts but let's be real here, u just wanna go to all of shocky's FREE texas pregame tailgate parties at buc-ee's

yeah clothing is always optional for curvy brunette yoga females attending these FUN not officially sanctioned university of calveston golden bears events

https://instagr.am/p/Ca5vdn-FLDI
clothes r for losers#

I'm game, Shock. You know, I moved down here to Texas (the San Antonio Hill Country) after I retired last June. I'm all in with the Buc-ees culture. My daughter is a state trooper down here, and I was blown away the first time she took me & my wife to a Buc-ees.
Shocky1
alec, the fact that riv played firm & fast last week during the tournament with no mud on the ball despite the torrential rains in so cal the week prior attests to your comment re: the professionalism of the agronomy staff at riv

pitts, both buc-ee & shocky got nothing but mad respect for our men & women (and doggys) of law enforcement that keep us protected from harm's way, hope to see both of you at the smu game

https://instagr.am/p/BYOh7hjjDK9
b&g, the best golf course in the world with astroturf is lofoten links in northern norway which deservedly made the 2024 golf magazine world top 100 list, the tiny back tee box on the 301 meters (332 yards) 1st hole is situated in a craggy rock pile overlooking the ocean & is fake grass for financial maintenance reasons (the 1st foto below is of the dogleg left starting hole)

https://instagr.am/p/Cs8BncJNKKZ
my favorite memory of norway wuz visiting the nobel peace prize center (berkeley is well represented) in oslo along with walking 18 holes at lofoten links teeing off for a 2nd round at 2:00 am while my kids went to the beach & then hiked the stunning nearby mountain range...shocky could not get this song outta his head that special summertime day

82gradDLSdad
82gradDLSdad said:

Shocky1 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Sounds like a great course. Still not a fan of things like bunkers on greens. I would probably have loved playing it. I have weird tastes in golf courses due to spending everyday of my formative years at 'cruddy' Lincoln in SF. It shaped (warped) my views on golf courses. Lakeside is not that exciting but it shaped my thoughts on tough golf courses. Doglegs one way, fairways that slope the other, never a level lie even though the course itself is not that hilly. Just subtle toughness. Oakmont with it's million bunkers sounds over the top. I don't really remember details of the course but I remember really liking playing Pasatiempo.

guess wut 82, the #1 priority west coast for me right now (other than coore & crenshaw's brambles in middletown)
is golden gate park's recently reopened after an extensive renovation par 3 course, gonna play it as soon as it stops raining in nor cal...in the golf architecture world, this tiny gem is all the rage

Get out!?

Geez, I just looked at these pictures. I think they've made GG too tough for me. :-). I've been thinking that I've got to play a round there with my son while I still can. It's where I started my golf journey, first junior golf tournament, first golf award (medalist in SF junior golf tournament in 1969 or so), first round with my dad, first round with my grandpa, etc. I can't wait. No more teeing of mats, I presume.
wifeisafurd
82gradDLSdad said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Shocky1 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Get out!?

Geez, I just looked at these pictures. I think they've made GG too tough for me. :-). I've been thinking that I've got to play a round there with my son while I still can. It's where I started my golf journey, first junior golf tournament, first golf award (medalist in SF junior golf tournament in 1969 or so), first round with my dad, first round with my grandpa, etc. I can't wait. No more teeing of mats, I presume.

very cool '82. I'm recovering from yet another spine surgery and I can tell you very time I turn on the tube and watch the pros play some cool spot, I feel the pull. Get out and do it, while you can.
82gradDLSdad
wifeisafurd said:

82gradDLSdad said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Shocky1 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Get out!?

very cool '82. I'm recovering from yet another spine surgery and I can tell you very time I turn on the tube and watch the pros play some cool spot, I feel the pull. Get out and do it, while you can.

I will...sooner than later. My wife and I are going to walk out to GG tomorrow or Sunday during our SF walk just to take a look. It's been a long time since I've been there.
Shocky1

coaches r key mentors in the recruiting process#
Econ141

Anyone know anything about this?
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Pittstop
Econ141 said:

Geez, I mean, Cal's roster definitely needs upgrading all around, but "one of the worst rosters in all of college football"? Good lord.
wifeisafurd
Pittstop said:

Econ141 said:

Geez, I mean, Cal's roster definitely needs upgrading all around, but "one of the worst rosters in all of college football"? Good lord.
Treggs is Walood's agent. Publicly insulting a future employer is not exactly a way to endure your client to that client. Also, no roster with Cal's running back room would be considered one of the worst rosters.
Alkiadt
wifeisafurd said:

Pittstop said:

Econ141 said:

Treggs is Walood's agent. Publicly insulting a future employer is not exactly a way to endure your client to that client. Also, no roster with Cal's running back room would be considered one of the worst rosters.

It appears Wadood has his first college job for a year at UConn as Director of High School recruiting. Mora hired him. UConn went 3-9 in mora's second year after going 6-6 in his first year. So UConn's roster evidently is superior to Cal's in Tregg's view? Treggs is supposedly Wadood's agent. It all makes sense now.
Shocky1
^ luv all the triggas, bryce is just tryna to draw attention to his friend given his limited social media reach & it's working...treggs may not have done the calculation yet re: his credibility moving forward but who knows maybe he thinks wearing clownz shoes is how to draw attention

jaleel wadood (ucla grad) is the director of high school recruiting for uconn (3-9 last season under hc jim mora)

Shocky1
the workaholic mora got fired at ucla when he became mentally unstable (and also losing a lotta games) after he caught his wife shannon banging a neighbor in manhattan beach & he filed for divorce, jim has since remarried & is now mentoring jaleel on toxic relationships (including bros from the hood)
Econ141

Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Shocky1
Shocky1

know the playahs:

acc: 3rd best collegiate conference with academic schools & an ironclad gor that binds its members until 2036

general james arthur knowlton: irrelevant/unknown on a national basis

chancellor carol christ: retiring (thx god) july 1st, got lied to/manipulated by the con artist which resulted in his contractual extension until 2029

florida state: $500,000,000+ buyout to leave the acc, lost to georgia 63-3 in the 2023 orange bowl

acc prisoner: karen brodkin (berkeley grad) of empower (los angeles based firm) who is paid to lobby on behalf of the redneck truck stop school academics big 12, karen is very bitter because nobody on planet earth wants to marry her & she wuz passed over for the pac 12 commish job

big 12: located in truck stop towns that nobody wants to visit, there are virtually no academic standards for admissions to these schools which prepare its alums as lot lizards with cfm pumps & contagious stds

philly bear: dumb azz who fails to understand how contracts work in the united states of america...refuses to answer my simple question if he's gonna go to the pittsburgh game this fall, it's quite possible he's 1) incarcerated or 2) his moms won't let him outta the basement

espn: in a downward spiral due to cord cutting, will not pay more for fsu in the sec (florida will block fsu from membership anyways)

49 bear: either senile (that bleeds blue & gold) or a really clever annoying troll

modern yoga: the best 5 minutes of the day
WalterSobchak
If Treggs is so worried about our roster quality, how much does he give to https://calegends.com/donation/ ?
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
Shocky1

auburn 2024 defensive line:

heading into spring ball the tigers gotta lotta question marks on the defensive line after 7 departures in the room:

marcus harris: projected early round pick in the upcoming nfl draft, destroyed the bears o-line at memorial stadium
justin rogers: declared for the 2024 nfl draft
lawrence johnson: starter is out of eligiblity
mosiah nasili-kite: out of eligiblity
enyce sledge: transfer portal to illinois
wilky denaud: transfer portal to mississippi state
stephen johnson: transfer portal

so there's gonna be an almost completely rebuilt defensive line when the california golden bears invade auburn on september 6th, coach bloesch gotta opportunity to dial up pitch outs on the edges in open space to all american jaydn ott behind cal's monster offensive line

let's ******* go (pound for ground)#
89Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Pittstop said:

Econ141 said:

Contracts negotiated: ZERO
Little ***** will still be at that point in the near future.
Bringing shame to Brian and family as well. Nice day B
Shocky1
Shocky1

(left to right, jalen "grand theft larceny" celestine, fardaws "11 boards" aimaq, jalen "2nd half" cone, keonte"get off my lawn" kennedy, grant "corner moneyballs" newell & the cal "red bull" bench)

despite an off shooting 3 of 15 field goals nite by team leader jaylen tyson & another empty haas thx to markeisha who is the least innovative sales/marketing director in the nation, the california golden bears dug down deep in the 2nd half to find a way to win a basketball game against a scrappy opponent...winning teams just find a way & that's wuz happened at haas pavilion tonite

not quitting reflects the personality of coach madsen

the turning point in the game wuz jalen celestine's 2 back to back thefts & throw down dunks

honestly think jalen with his developing defensive lockdown intensity, high basketball iq with unselfish tendencies & 46.1% 3 point sharpshooting could be a 1st team all acc player next season...and 6'5" jovani ruff could be the acc freshman player of the year

yeah defense wins college basketball games

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including long beach)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

jaydn, cade & nando in the haas#
Shocky1

the #1 priority recruiting target for the cal basketball program is 6'5" 190 lbs top 50 player in the 2025 class jovani ruff of long beach poly, the jackrabbits star player's lead recruiter is assistant coach/recruiting dynamo matt scherbenske with coach madsen also communicating regularly about the unique opportunity in berkeley

jovani can go just about anywhere but there's only one #1 ranked public university in the world that's close (but not too close like usc & ucla) to home that will put the ball in his hands from day 1 as the california golden bears enter the east coast centric acc next season

does ruff wanna go to an academically mediocre school like kansas or oregon and be another baller or does he wanna try to rebuild the cal basketball program like jaylen brown back in the cal's monster class era while also developing his intellect?...this is an articulate young man who is highly religious & that if basketball don't work out would pursue becoming a history teacher

jovani's only official visit thus far wuz to cal back in september during football season, the talented jazz pianist is not just a basketball player but he's an articulate, humble, well rounded young man who might be willing to take the path in the road that is the least traveled

and yeah he would be a leading candidate to becoming the acc freshman of the year while wearing a california golden bears jersey

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that wanna build generational wealth thru nba development with coach madsen & thru hard work in the classrooms of berkeley)

Shocky1
Quote:

my moms (a berkeley grad) wuz poor as **** from a 2nd generation immigrant family growing up in san francisco, she never went to any sporting events during college because they never had a single disposable dollar so she did fun FREE things like walking on ocean beach with the family doggy

fast forward to now, berkeley got a record number of 1st generation college students from socioeconomicly disadvantaged families (which shocky 100% supports, the redistribution of wealth in the united states thru elite educational opportunities to build generational wealth vs governmental handouts) that CANNOT afford the current $150 annual student pass (that's a middle class+ luxury)

yeah stupid people make stupid decisions

love you, moms#
tonight's official attendance: 3012

abject FAILURE to offer FREE student tixs despite 8,000+ empty seats

fire knowlton & demote markeisha to berkeley parking enforcement#
sonofabear51
CELESTINE!! Those 2 steals and the 3 point shooting, HELL YES!!!
Start Slowly and taper off
Shocky1
51, jalen is a straight up baller

this **** is getting live (**** the ducks)#
Shocky1
barsad, pretty obvious that u bleed blue & gold but it's also pretty obvious that ur views ("not worried about the meager crowds") on attendance patterns r outdated, just winning more games won't result in more fans at haas pavilion, got it?...buying tixs to athletic events in berkeley isn't the same as it wuz decades ago

case in point, rugby wins national championships against yet there are only a couple of hundred fans on gamedays...the bears are winning basketball games yet only 3012 fans showed up, the mbb needs a less obstinate sales/marketing director (anybody other than markeisha) who will offer FREE tixs to all students to generate loud gameday energy & also build a pipeline to future season tix buyers & mega donors

and how do u successfully recruit when there's only 3012 fans in the haas?

bottom line there's zero chance madsen is gonna stick around long term without a dedicated basketball practice facility & there's zero chance that's gonna happen under general knowlton's watch which is contractually extended thru 2029 (not 2028)...the most financially viable solution is for the next chancellor (hopefully richard lyons) to fire him for his role with the suicidal women's swimmers...knowlton got no remorse for that tragedy/future lawsuits, he bragged in knowlton notes how he accompanied the evil as **** jennifer simon-o'neil to the recent acc planning session

stanford's next basketball coaching search (which could happen during the next 30 days) will likely include an actionable offer to mark but if u wanna just close ur eyes & hope that magically more fans r magically gonna start supporting the basketball programs & that madsen got a lifetime contract with no buyout that's ur choice but u might be disappointed when the easter bunny don't show up either
calumnus
Shocky1 said:

barsad, pretty obvious that u bleed blue & gold but it's also pretty obvious that ur views ("not worried about the meager crowds") on attendance patterns r outdated, just winning more games won't result in more fans at haas pavilion, got it?...buying tixs to athletic events in berkeley isn't the same as it wuz decades ago

case in point, rugby wins national championships against yet there are only a couple of hundred fans on gamedays...the bears are winning basketball games yet only 3012 fans showed up, the mbb needs a less obstinate sales/marketing director (anybody other than markeisha) who will offer FREE tixs to all students to generate loud gameday energy & also build a pipeline to future season tix buyers & mega donors

and how do u successfully recruit when there's only 3012 fans in the haas?

bottom line there's zero chance madsen is gonna stick around long term without a dedicated basketball practice facility & there's zero chance that's gonna happen under general knowlton's watch which is contractually extended thru 2029 (not 2028)...the most financially viable solution is for the next chancellor (hopefully richard lyons) to fire him for his role with the suicidal women's swimmers...knowlton got no remorse for that tragedy/future lawsuits, he bragged in knowlton notes how he accompanied the evil as **** jennifer simon-o'neil to the recent acc planning session

stanford's next basketball coaching search (which could happen during the next 30 days) will likely include an actionable offer to mark but if u wanna just close ur eyes & hope that magically more fans r magically gonna start supporting the basketball programs & that madsen got a lifetime contract with no buyout that's ur choice but u might be disappointed when the easter bunny don't show up either

Did the Madsens buy a house in Danville? His family being happy will be a bigger factor than practice facilities, IMO. Stanford has lots of facilities but practices at Maples. We will see soon enough if he has really changed loyalties. I could see it going either way.
First Page Last Page
Page 232 of 260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.