cal's monster offensive line

1,816,878 Views | 11115 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Shocky1
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

Hmmm….I bet that could be any color student from affluent families who wants to row….In the grand scheme of that sounds like a rounding error….

"Could be"? As in "theoretically"? What percentage of these theoretical, $5M+ estate, black and brown families do you reckon are exposed to competitive "rowing" as a family athletic pursuit? Or via family patronage? I'd reckon that it would rival the percentage that competes in the Americas Cup (which I had the opportunity to attend when it was held in SF a few years back).
Speaking about %, what % of the total enrollment does a rower represent? It is a rounding error. In the meantime they must have the grades to get in etc etc…by the way what % of first generation college students are pushed into majors that don't equate to enough postgraduation pay enough to pay their student loans?….

There are 1,072 student athletes at Cal.

So there are more than 900 student athletes in the non-revenue sports. That is a lot.

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

California taxpayers subsidizing a Berkeley education, facilities, coaching and setting aside hundreds admissions slots for children from wealthy families on the East Coast? While their own kids cant get in? I don't see how we can justify that going forward. At least not to the scale we have been. If it is ruled athletes are employees the whole thing collapses.
As someone who played a non-revenue "wealthy" sport (Men's Golf) at Cal, I'm pushing back on all of this hate going on. I was out of state and paid out of state tuition my first year before gaining residency which was much easier in the late 70's. Most of my fellow athletes were excellent students who have since gone on to great careers, mainly in California. Many of us also contribute quite generously to Cal BECAUSE we don't take it for granted. I can't tell you how many of my fellow students asked me why I came to Cal when I could've gone to UT Austin for less money. They didn't value what Cal and UC in general offers. I can assure you that I personally have paid many millions in CA state income tax in excess of whatever the CA taxpayers paid to subsidize my education, and I'm sure there are lot of other ex athletes from non-revenue sports who've done the same. I also believe that well-rounded student/athletes contribute to the student experience for everybody.. The presence of student athletes has certainly stood Stanford, many of the Ivies, and Little Ivies in good stead. t's very easy to pick on some out of state athlete for crew or water polo or golf who might come from serious means, but would that apply equally to someone from Atherton, Malibu, or Newport Beach? I know that people on this site want Knowlton gone, but digging around for some dirt for something to hang him with could easily backfire and burn down the village you're trying to save. It just blows me away to read this ****ty attitude that reinforces the reputation that Cal can't have nice things because the supporters act like the proverbial lobsters in the pot who drag down those who are trying to escape so everybody dies. Really pretty disgusting.
Here's to your decision to come to Cal, and your contributions to the University since.
Again, don't get this whole discussion....some High schools can afford certain sports, more sports. Some High Schools can afford more AP classes and languages. Private High Schools are harder for kids to attend who have less economic means, unless they have scholarships....
Maybe make all athletic scholarships need based as the first criteria? Yeah, NIL et. al has made that ship sail.
calumnus
juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

Hmmm….I bet that could be any color student from affluent families who wants to row….In the grand scheme of that sounds like a rounding error….

"Could be"? As in "theoretically"? What percentage of these theoretical, $5M+ estate, black and brown families do you reckon are exposed to competitive "rowing" as a family athletic pursuit? Or via family patronage? I'd reckon that it would rival the percentage that competes in the Americas Cup (which I had the opportunity to attend when it was held in SF a few years back).
Speaking about %, what % of the total enrollment does a rower represent? It is a rounding error. In the meantime they must have the grades to get in etc etc…by the way what % of first generation college students are pushed into majors that don't equate to enough postgraduation pay enough to pay their student loans?….

So there are more than 900 student athletes in the non-revenue sports. That is a lot.

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

California taxpayers subsidizing a Berkeley education, facilities, coaching and setting aside hundreds admissions slots for children from wealthy families on the East Coast? While their own kids cant get in? I don't see how we can justify that going forward. At least not to the scale we have been. If it is ruled athletes are employees the whole thing collapses.
As someone who played a non-revenue "wealthy" sport (Men's Golf) at Cal, I'm pushing back on all of this hate going on. I was out of state and paid out of state tuition my first year before gaining residency which was much easier in the late 70's. Most of my fellow athletes were excellent students who have since gone on to great careers, mainly in California. Many of us also contribute quite generously to Cal BECAUSE we don't take it for granted. I can't tell you how many of my fellow students asked me why I came to Cal when I could've gone to UT Austin for less money. They didn't value what Cal and UC in general offers. I can assure you that I personally have paid many millions in CA state income tax in excess of whatever the CA taxpayers paid to subsidize my education, and I'm sure there are lot of other ex athletes from non-revenue sports who've done the same. I also believe that well-rounded student/athletes contribute to the student experience for everybody.. The presence of student athletes has certainly stood Stanford, many of the Ivies, and Little Ivies in good stead. t's very easy to pick on some out of state athlete for crew or water polo or golf who might come from serious means, but would that apply equally to someone from Atherton, Malibu, or Newport Beach? I know that people on this site want Knowlton gone, but digging around for some dirt for something to hang him with could easily backfire and burn down the village you're trying to save. It just blows me away to read this ****ty attitude that reinforces the reputation that Cal can't have nice things because the supporters act like the proverbial lobsters in the pot who drag down those who are trying to escape so everybody dies. Really pretty disgusting.

No one is hating on you. You have to understand that was almost 50 years ago. The late 70s were a different time. Prop 13 had not yet gutted the state's finances (only city and county). Compared to today, the cost of attending Cal was relatively low for most students. Even out of state students could establish residency easily after the first year. College admissions was not as cut throat at as it is today. It was not so difficult to get into Cal (staying in Cal was the challenge). The football team generated a lot of money and coaching salaries were low. The stadium was long ago paid for. Amateurism was strictly enforced. We competed in a regional conference with low travel costs. There was no Title IX. Moreover, we had affirmative action to insure racial diversity in the general student body so there was no racial diversity impact from having "country club" sports. The geographic diversity was welcome. I am very glad you came to Cal and yes, thank you for your contributions. In many ways we are very lucky we went to Cal at that time and if I could wave a magic wand I would return Cal to those times. At least my daughters could have attended the school they grew up dreaming of attending.

However, we can't. We need to deal with the present. The question is what can Cal support going forward? Given the circumstances as they currently exist. For financial reasons Cal is going to be forced to make changes, better to be proactive than reactive.

My proposal is that the model for non-revenue sports would look much like what you faced: no scholarship, paying out of state tuition. There could be admission preference but not admission slots or at least fewer and with greater oversight. Most non-revenue sports would not compete in the ACC but would compete in a local conference instead. However, this is just a discussion board. No need to defend the past, what is your idea for the future, knowing we face difficult decisions?
Shocky1
2025 interior offensive lineman vaea ikakoula commits to stanford
juarezbear
calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

No one is hating on you. You have to understand that was almost 50 years ago. The late 70s were a different time. Prop 13 had not yet gutted the state's finances (only city and county). Compared to today, the cost of attending Cal was relatively low for most students. Even out of state students could establish residency easily after the first year. College admissions was not as cut throat at as it is today. It was not so difficult to get into Cal (staying in Cal was the challenge). The football team generated a lot of money and coaching salaries were low. The stadium was long ago paid for. Amateurism was strictly enforced. We competed in a regional conference with low travel costs. There was no Title IX. Moreover, we had affirmative action to insure racial diversity in the general student body so there was no racial diversity impact from having "country club" sports. The geographic diversity was welcome. I am very glad you came to Cal and yes, thank you for your contributions. In many ways we are very lucky we went to Cal at that time and if I could wave a magic wand I would return Cal to those times. At least my daughters could have attended the school they grew up dreaming of attending.

However, we can't. We need to deal with the present. The question is what can Cal support going forward? Given the circumstances as they currently exist. For financial reasons Cal is going to be forced to make changes, better to be proactive than reactive.

My proposal is that the model for non-revenue sports would look much like what you faced: no scholarship, paying out of state tuition. There could be admission preference but not admission slots or at least fewer and with greater oversight. Most non-revenue sports would not compete in the ACC but would compete in a local conference instead. However, this is just a discussion board. No need to defend the past, what is your idea for the future, knowing we face difficult decisions?
Thanks for the reasoned response. I totally understand the new landscape and there are three different issues to address. Financially, it's clear that most non-revenue sports will need to be self-funded and fully endowed. I would propose a 3-5 year timeline to get fully endowed or face the possibility of demotion to club-level sport. That's actually what happened to men's golf while I was there. It was demoted to club level my sophomore year and then promoted back to IA two years later. The second issue of admissions is trickier. I understand and sympathize with the disappointment that 90% of Cal applicants feel when they've worked their butts off and don't get in. Even if there were 500 fewer spots reserved for athletes, the vast majority of non-athletic applicants would still be denied. More than anything, this is based on the fact that the CA population in 1976 when I was admitted was 22 Million. Today it's over 39 Million - a 56% increase. The Cal undergrad enrollment in 1976 was roughly 20K and today it's roughly 33K - a 60% increase. The percentages don't take into account that there are a lot more qualified applicants now than before. As you said, it's cut-throat out there. Should these sports get funding, then DIA would need to have the requisite number of admissions spaces available to fill the teams. Even the Ivies, Little Ivies, Stanford, and Duke have slots reserved for athletes, It makes absolutely no sense to have D1 sports unless you can recruit athletes and guarantee them a spot - regardless of who's paying the tuition, living, etc....The third issue of course is Title IX. I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of it with prongs and all that, but the basic idea is that there should be equal opportunities for men and women to attend. We have to keep football, men's and women's basketball, volleyball, softball, and I'm sure a few other sports to both bring in revenue and provide equal access. Also, conferences generally have a minimum number of required men's and women's teams to be a member. This is a long-winded response to say that, in my opinion, having world-class student-athletes (not bogus athletes like SC and others did in Varsity Blues) is good for the campus. I don't think Schcky is implying that people are buying their way in, but rather pointing out that it's unfair for rich kids to gain entry by playing sports that are generally played by rich which kids. People thrive by engaging with others who are really, really good at what they do. I met super smart students who studies every different kind of course work and many of them were well-rounded folks which made them more interesting to me. Of course, there are world class academic students who could fill the entire class, but I want great students who are also great athletes, great writers, great musicians, great artists, etc..That's what sets schools like Cal, Furd, etc...apart from schools like Harvey Mudd, MIT, CalTech, and Carnegie Mellon. If you want to attend one of those schools - go for it. But that held absolutely no interest to me.. I served on the Special Action Admissions Committee for two years at Cal and understand your concern for diversity. Ironically, without affirmative action, the number of African American and economically disadvantaged students at Cal and UCLA would plummet. If you're really worried about getting more of these types of students in a world without official affirmative action or holistic admissions, eliminating "country club" sports would likely mean more Asian and White students taking those spots. My kids are half Japanese and half Ashkenazi Jewish so I'm not sure how that would've impacted them...
Shocky1

https://instagr.am/p/CvVQHgWJzM3
started at the bottom now we're here (r u willing to do the hard work necessary to become a haas biz ad school grad?)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (it's a lotta work, it's NOT for everyone including the dumb azz paperclip twins ethan fang & eric lee who gonna be able to avoid studying & reading books & **** at oklahoma state)
Shocky1
hollywood, just to be really clear on this, i honestly think the current cal athletic dept is guilty of varsity blues transgressions under knowlton's failed stewardship & that if rich lyons initiates an independent outside counsel investigation into this matter that several employees will face criminal charges & sentencing

there are things that can't be shared here but beyond the ongoing overspending/lack of financial austerity, the lack of transparency and accountability within his bureaucratic empire & the failure to offer FREE tixs to all student (which is slowly killing the pipeline to future fans/donors) there is corruption that is steering the cal athletic dept towards an existential iceberg

and that will be the end of cal football & basketball as we know it played in a national conference unless the con artist is stopped NOW
calumnus
juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Thanks for the reasoned response. I totally understand the new landscape and there are three different issues to address. Financially, it's clear that most non-revenue sports will need to be self-funded and fully endowed. I would propose a 3-5 year timeline to get fully endowed or face the possibility of demotion to club-level sport. That's actually what happened to men's golf while I was there. It was demoted to club level my sophomore year and then promoted back to IA two years later. The second issue of admissions is trickier. I understand and sympathize with the disappointment that 90% of Cal applicants feel when they've worked their butts off and don't get in. Even if there were 500 fewer spots reserved for athletes, the vast majority of non-athletic applicants would still be denied. More than anything, this is based on the fact that the CA population in 1976 when I was admitted was 22 Million. Today it's over 39 Million - a 56% increase. The Cal undergrad enrollment in 1976 was roughly 20K and today it's roughly 33K - a 60% increase. The percentages don't take into account that there are a lot more qualified applicants now than before. As you said, it's cut-throat out there. Should these sports get funding, then DIA would need to have the requisite number of admissions spaces available to fill the teams. Even the Ivies, Little Ivies, Stanford, and Duke have slots reserved for athletes, It makes absolutely no sense to have D1 sports unless you can recruit athletes and guarantee them a spot - regardless of who's paying the tuition, living, etc....The third issue of course is Title IX. I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of it with prongs and all that, but the basic idea is that there should be equal opportunities for men and women to attend. We have to keep football, men's and women's basketball, volleyball, softball, and I'm sure a few other sports to both bring in revenue and provide equal access. Also, conferences generally have a minimum number of required men's and women's teams to be a member. This is a long-winded response to say that, in my opinion, having world-class student-athletes (not bogus athletes like SC and others did in Varsity Blues) is good for the campus. I don't think Schcky is implying that people are buying their way in, but rather pointing out that it's unfair for rich kids to gain entry by playing sports that are generally played by rich which kids. People thrive by engaging with others who are really, really good at what they do. I met super smart students who studies every different kind of course work and many of them were well-rounded folks which made them more interesting to me. Of course, there are world class academic students who could fill the entire class, but I want great students who are also great athletes, great writers, great musicians, great artists, etc..That's what sets schools like Cal, Furd, etc...apart from schools like Harvey Mudd, MIT, CalTech, and Carnegie Mellon. If you want to attend one of those schools - go for it. But that held absolutely no interest to me.. I served on the Special Action Admissions Committee for two years at Cal and understand your concern for diversity. Ironically, without affirmative action, the number of African American and economically disadvantaged students at Cal and UCLA would plummet. If you're really worried about getting more of these types of students in a world without official affirmative action or holistic admissions, eliminating "country club" sports would likely mean more Asian and White students taking those spots. My kids are half Japanese and half Ashkenazi Jewish so I'm not sure how that would've impacted them...

Affirmative action in California ended in 1996. The number of African Americans (in particular) at Cal and UCLA plummeted.

My daughters are African American-Jewish (and 1/8th Filipino). My oldest had a 4.0 gpa and a 2300 SAT at an extremely highly competitor high school. She was a National Achievement Scholar (Top 1% of African American PSAT takers nationwide). She took first place in the highly competitive Fremont City Science Fair. She was a paid speaker for Stanford's graduate education department. She won slam poetry contents and was a accomplished competive club swimmer, taking 2nd place in several all East Bay events. She was recruited and offered unsolicited academic scholarships all over the country, including all over the South (Includibg several schools in Texas) and many East Coast privates (Tufts offered a huge scholarship and was where I encouraged her to go).

However, her heart was set on Cal. She had been attending Cal games since she was an infant. When they were small we would explore the campus together. See the T Rex at Life Sciences. Go to the top of the Campanile. She wore Cal sweatshirts almost exclusively. As a teenager, she would take BART with her friends to hang out in Berkeley cafes.

She was devastated when she did not get into Cal or on appeal. Just heartbroken. She did not get into any UC she applied to on first attempt, but got into UCSD on appeal. She ended up going there and turning her love of the water into a love of surfing.

However, at UCSD she was one of 40 African Americans in a freshman class of over 8,000. When a largely white frat advertised a "Compton Cookout" featuring racist descriptions of attire to wear and then defended their event as free speach by going on the campus radio and just repeatedly saying the N-word, she became an activist. And when Nazis, KKK and other pretty scary adult white supremacists from North County came to the UCSD campus to protest sanctions against the frat and preach racism in the name of "free speech" she stood up to them in a counter protest and was verbally and physically attacked, stalked and later suspended for a year based on false charges (no right to defense or consultation with attorneys or even parents, the dean told her if she did sign the agreement to the one year suspension he would push for permanent expulsion). She attended Hawaii that year (furthering her growing love of surfing) before returning to UCSD where she got her degree.

Her story is as one of the inspirations for the movie "Dear White People."

She later worked for an AI company in Berkeley, where she took grad classes and DJed late nights on KALX….

Shocky1
hollywood & calalumnus, thx you for sharing ur emotionally told personal stories

we all have a common bond & probably similar goals for berkeley but perhaps we have differing views at times on the path we're gonna need to achieve those goals
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C8I7g4cplPa

cal's monster class (50 year relationships & a nba supermax 5 year contract for $304,000,000)#
https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C3tRsHmSDYa
pehea'oe jaron?

r u aware that jared goff not only earned a berkeley degree, he recently signed a 4 year nfl contract extension with the detroit lions for $212,000,000 & got engaged to a curvy brunette yoga female whose favorite color is fuschia?

yeah life is pretty good these days for the stinson beach high school grad except for the fact that jerry kicks his azz on the golf course...u evah do the hang at turtle bay?...the food truck scene is way better than the golf courses on the north shore, right?

wut r ur gameplan in life in building generational wealth for moms & wut university is gonna help u achieve ur greatest dreams/goals?

u will c berkeley on ur june 20th official visit to the #1 ranked public university on planet earth...u don't wanna live in the snow, trust me on this brah

and tell benji to grill up some homecookin', ok?

pomaika'i

-shocky

juarezbear
Shocky1 said:

hollywood, just to be really clear on this, i honestly think the current cal athletic dept is guilty of varsity blues transgressions under knowlton's failed stewardship & that if rich lyons initiates an independent outside counsel investigation into this matter that several employees will face criminal charges & sentencing

there are things that can't be shared here but beyond the ongoing overspending/lack of financial austerity, the lack of transparency and accountability within his bureaucratic empire & the failure to offer FREE tixs to all student there is corruption that is steering the cal athletic dept towards an existential iceberg

and that will be the end of cal football & basketball as we know it played in a national conference unless the con artist is stopped NOW

Agree
HoopDreams
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/C8I7g4cplPa

cal's monster class (50 year relationships & a nba supermax 5 year contract for $304,000,000)#
https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru
juarezbear
calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Affirmative action in California ended in 1996. The number of African Americans (in particular) at Cal and UCLA plummeted.

My daughters are African American-Jewish (and 1/8th Filipino). My oldest had a 4.0 gpa and a 2300 SAT at an extremely highly competitor high school. She was a National Achievement Scholar (Top 1% of African American PSAT takers nationwide). She took first place in the highly competitive Fremont City Science Fair. She was a paid speaker for Stanford's graduate education department. She won slam poetry contents and was a accomplished competive club swimmer, taking 2nd place in several all East Bay events. She was recruited and offered unsolicited academic scholarships all over the country, including all over the South (Includibg several schools in Texas) and many East Coast privates (Tufts offered a huge scholarship and was where I encouraged her to go).

However, her heart was set on Cal. She had been attending Cal games since she was an infant. When they were small we would explore the campus together. See the T Rex at Life Sciences. Go to the top of the Campanile. She wore Cal sweatshirts almost exclusively. As a teenager, she would take BART with her friends to hang out in Berkeley cafes.

She was devastated when she did not get into Cal or on appeal. Just heartbroken. She did not get into any UC she applied to on first attempt, but got into UCSD on appeal. She ended up going there and turning her love of the water into a love of surfing.

However, at UCSD she was one of 40 African Americans in a freshman class of over 8,000. When a largely white frat advertised a "Compton Cookout" featuring racist descriptions of attire to wear and then defended their event as free speach by going on the campus radio and just repeatedly saying the N-word, she became an activist. And when Nazis, KKK and other pretty scary adult white supremacists from North County came to the UCSD campus to protest sanctions against the frat and preach racism in the name of "free speech" she stood up to them in a counter protest and was verbally and physically attacked, stalked and later suspended for a year based on false charges (no right to defense or consultation with attorneys or even parents, the dean told her if she did sign the agreement to the one year suspension he would push for permanent expulsion). She attended Hawaii that year (furthering her growing love of surfing) before returning to UCSD where she got her degree.

She later worked for an AI company in Berkeley, where she took grad classes and DJed late nights on KALX….

That story is heartbreaking on so many levels, yet I have great admiration for your daughter's grit and perseverance. I can't imagine what the admissions committee was thinking. I'm speechless, which you can tell from my writing is unusual for me. If there's anything I can do to help her in her career please let me know. She sounds like an amazing young woman with unlimited potential.
Shocky1
cal's monster class poll: who would u rather work out with?

option 1: bunch of smelly azz dudes

option 2: doms
https://instagr.am/p/C1KiD8dRCe_
option 3: the donut boy of tuscon

option 4: snoopy
https://instagr.am/p/C8IRgbpOvuT

calumnus
juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

That story is heartbreaking on so many levels, yet I have great admiration for your daughter's grit and perseverance. I can't imagine what the admissions committee was thinking. I'm speechless, which you can tell from my writing is unusual for me. If there's anything I can do to help her in her career please let me know. She sounds like an amazing young woman with unlimited potential.

Thanks, I appreciate that. She is incredibly gifted and is the most intelligent and creative person I know. She has been through a lot, much I did not include, survived, and is stronger for it.

Her younger sister saw everything that happened to her older sister and with her sister gone and her parents going through a divorce, dealt with a stress related health issue and ended up taking the California High School Proficiency Exam, skipping her senior year and just enrolling in Berkeley City College then transferring to SFSU despite having a 4.0 and being heavily recruited by the UC Berkeley transfer admissions director. She said she didn't want to deal with the competitiveness she saw in high school from tge kids that went to Berkeley, but I also think she didn't want to go to Cal when her sister didn't, caring about her feelings. At SFSU she lived in the International and Transfer Student Dorm where she met her husband, who is from Japan. They lived in Japan for 7 years, which gave us an excuse to visit often (my wife and I live on Guam).

It was a few very drama filled years now a dozen or so years ago. Altogether my daughters are in a great space now, but that does not stop a dad from worrying about them.
mbBear
calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Show me which sports have strong commitments from alums and donors, and let's start there. One woman's sport with a coach endowment, so maybe don't cut that? Any one else going to step up to save a sport? If you cut the sports using Edwards, are there residual benefits for freeing up property?
Which Title IX option is in play for Cal specifically?
juarezbear
calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Thanks, I appreciate that. She is incredibly gifted and is the most intelligent and creative person I know. She has been through a lot, much I did not include, survived, and is stronger for it.

Her younger sister saw everything that happened to her older sister and with her sister gone and her parents going through a divorce, dealt with a stress related health issue and ended up taking the California High School Proficiency Exam, skipping her senior year and just enrolling in Berkeley City College then transferring to SFSU despite having a 4.0 and being heavily recruited by the UC Berkeley transfer admissions director. She said she didn't want to deal with the competitiveness she saw in high school from tge kids that went to Berkeley, but I also think she didn't want to go to Cal when her sister didn't, caring about her feelings. At SFSU she lived in the International and Transfer Student Dorm where she met her husband, who is from Japan. They lived in Japan for 7 years, which gave us an excuse to visit often (my wife and I live on Guam).

It was a few very drama filled years now a dozen or so years ago. Altogether my daughters are in a great space now, but that does not stop a dad from worrying about them.

I went thru a lot with my kids as well. Now we have a granddaughter To also worry about - lol!
Shocky1

congrats to joe p on this major talent infusion for santa barbara but multiple trusted sources have told me that zion's dad julian (a one time cal commit back in the day, now divorced from his bay area ex wife) is a really bad human always tryna personally monetize his son for his broke azz wallet

gonna be drama on state street & the valley club of montecito#
calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Show me which sports have strong commitments from alums and donors, and let's start there. One woman's sport with a coach endowment, so maybe don't cut that? Any one else going to step up to save a sport? If you cut the sports using Edwards, are there residual benefits for freeing up property?

Yes, with the caveat that any male sport is paired with an equivalent female sport for funding, scholarships, level of competition, etc.

Title IX has 3 "Prongs": 1. Proportionality, ie if women are 55% of your student body at Cal, 55% of your athletes are women, which is the most difficult for Cal to achieve. 2. Expanding opportunities, you keep adding women's sports opportunities, what Cal has been doing, but cannot keep doing. We cannot cut sports and satisfy this prong. 3. Show that the school is effectively accommodating the athletics interests and abilities of the females enrolled in the institution. That there is enough interest to field a team and a team is dropped only if there is not enough interest among enrolled female students in fielding one.

My proposal would be effectively the third prong, If men's and women's crew, for example, do not offer scholarships or admission slots, and only consist of enrolled students that go out for the team, and take, at least on the women's side, every women who signs up, then crew meets Title IX requirements under Prong 3, and if coaches and expenses are covered by donors, it is a keeper.

Similarly mens and women's rugby would be one program and would meet Prong 3 as long as it offers equal scholarships and admissions slots (or none at all) and every woman who signs up is on the team. If not enough women sign up to field a team in any sport, you have still met the Prong 3 standard. It was offered.

The ACC requires only football, men's and women's basketball and one other women's sport. I'd go with women's soccer as the ACC is a great conference for that sport. Women's volleyball has great conferences to join on the west Coast. As I've suggested before, I'd seperate these from the rest of the AD and have there management be outsourced to sn alumni run not for profit that would pay the coaches and players.

That would allow the non-revenue sports to be largely "participation" sports, with the level of competition determined by ability and donor support. Again, scholarships and admissions slots could be offered if there is enough donor support and it is offered equally between the men's and women's teams.

juarezbear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Yes, with the caveat that any male sport is paired with an equivalent female sport for funding, scholarships, level of competition, etc.

Title IX has 3 "Prongs": 1. Proportionality, ie if women are 55% of your student body at Cal, 55% of your athletes are women, which is the most difficult for Cal to achieve. 2. Expanding opportunities, you keep adding women's sports opportunities, what Cal has been doing, but cannot keep doing. We cannot cut sports and satisfy this prong. 3. Show that the school is effectively accommodating the athletics interests and abilities of the females enrolled in the institution. That there is enough interest to field a team and a team is dropped only if there is not enough interest among enrolled female students in fielding one.

My proposal would be effectively the third prong, If men's and women's crew, for example, do not offer scholarships or admission slots, and only consist of enrolled students that go out for the team, and take, at least on the women's side, every women who signs up, then crew meets Title IX requirements under Prong 3, and if coaches and expenses are covered by donors, it is a keeper.

Similarly mens and women's rugby would be one program and would meet Prong 3 as long as it offers equal scholarships and admissions slots (or none at all) and every woman who signs up is on the team. If not enough women sign up to field a team in any sport, you have still met the Prong 3 standard. It was offered.

The ACC requires only football, men's and women's basketball and one other women's sport. I'd go with women's soccer as the ACC is a great conference for that sport. Women's volleyball has great conferences to join on the west Coast. As I've suggested before, I'd seperate these from the rest of the AD and have there management be outsourced to sn alumni run not for profit that would pay the coaches and players.

That would allow the non-revenue sports to be largely "participation" sports, with the level of competition determined by ability and donor support. Again, scholarships and admissions slots could be offered if there is enough donor support and it is offered equally between the men's and women's teams.

I like your proposal. Essentially, it's a reset on almost all of the sports to essentially put up or shut up. How many years would you propose to enact this decree? Some kind of transition period would need to exist.
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

2025 ELITE 6'5" 225 lbs edge defender from st john bosco#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the inland empire)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

epi gonna visit cal on june 20th (same time as qb1 target jaron keawe sagapolutele)
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Again, for me, there has to be financial considerations. Field Hockey is big in the ACC as well...does women's soccer have the same support at Cal, so it's the same cost? I mean, yeah, I get the "soccer is the world's game", people understand it more etc... but that translates little for the bottom line, we are not talking about revenue of any consequence, so let's not even go there. (As an aside, there is likely to be a rise in soccer academies for women in the US, just as there has been for men...and we already have seen a rise among the top female players skipping college anyway)...
I think anytime this discussion comes up, the silent assumption is that anything saved by cutting sports, is going to end up in the pockets of football and (men's) basketball. Again, a big unknown right?

I mean, how many years has it been since Barbour attempted to cut sports? How is it there hasn't been more pressure to circle back on this? Okay, the easy answer in the present is the revenues will be lower than ever before moving forward, so the status quo absolutely has to change...I just think sometimes fans are worrying more about this than the University is...I mean, no matter how much Knowlton is disliked, no one has held his feet to the fire?
ColoradoBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

That's not the way Title IX works, so that proposal is impossible. Title IX and its Prongs don't apply to individual sports but the athletic department as a whole. To cut a single women's slot invalidates prongs 2 and 4, so Cal would have to abide by proportionality. And currently the NCAA requires 14 sports to be D1, which is also a limitation to how much can be cut.

With the possibility of zero scholarship limits under NCAA rules with the new settlement, it will be increasingly difficult to field competitive teams in non rev sports versus the P2 conferences. It might be time to consider forming a west coast non scholarship league for as many sports as possible (and lobby the NCAA and ACC to allow split conferences with only a few sports competing in the ACC). Cut all scholarships across the board (need based would still exist) and just pay football players out of football revenue and have them deal with taxes. Budgeting ~20% extra for taxes on 85 players being paid versus a paid 450 scholarships would be a huge cost savings.
mbBear
ColoradoBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

That's not the way Title IX works, so that proposal is impossible. Title IX and its Prongs don't apply to individual sports but the athletic department as a whole. To cut a single women's slot invalidates prongs 2 and 4, so Cal would have to abide by proportionality. And currently the NCAA requires 14 sports to be D1, which is also a limitation to how much can be cut.

With the possibility of zero scholarship limits under NCAA rules with the new settlement, it will be increasingly difficult to field competitive teams in non rev sports versus the P2 conferences. It might be time to consider forming a west coast non scholarship league for as many sports as possible (and lobby the NCAA and ACC to allow split conferences with only a few sports competing in the ACC). Cut all scholarships across the board (need based would still exist) and just pay football players out of football revenue and have them deal with taxes. Budgeting ~20% extra for taxes on 85 players being paid versus a paid 450 scholarships would be a huge cost savings.
Meaning 14 is the minimum you can cut down to?
ColoradoBear
mbBear said:

ColoradoBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Meaning 14 is the minimum you can cut down to?

Yes. Though this article in Forbes says the rule might be an antitrust violation (I can't read it since it's paywalled):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2022/12/12/ncaa-division-is-14-sport-minimum-rule-is-ripe-for-antitrust-challenge/

Also, Rugby and Men's Crew are not NCAA sports.
SBGold
calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

juarezbear said:

calumnus said:

Goobear said:

Pittstop said:

Goobear said:

M Baseball
M Cross Country
M Golf
M Gymnastics
M Rowing
M Rugby
M Soccer
M swimming and Diving
M Tennis
M Track and Field
M water Polo
W Beach Bolleyball
W Cross Country
Field Hockey
W Golf
W Gymnastics
W Lacrosse
W Rowing
W Soccer
W Softball
W Swimming and Diving
W Tennis
W Track and Field
W Volleyball
W Water Polo

Your daughter sounds amazing. I'd love to shake her hand some day for her courage
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

freshmen softball pitching phenom randi roelling transferring to georgia & men's golfer ethan fang transferring to oklahoma state, both are walking away from berkeley degrees

freshman standout eric lee is gonna join ethan fang at oklahoma state, this pretty much takes the sails out of the bears competing for a national championship in the 2024/2025 season

when shocky walked 36 holes at the osu's karsten creek course (one of tom fazio's best design efforts & the 2nd best university course in the usa after the fabulous yale course in new haven) during a weekday there wuz nobody else at the course except both the men's & women's cowboys...the head pro gave me a tour of the magnificent clubhouse overlooking the lake on the boomerang par 5 18th hole & told me the cowboys play, practice, work out, study (which is basically an hour a day at an unaccredited aau university), eat all meals & socially hang out there too literally every day of the week

fun fact: the head pro asked me if i wuz related to cowboy hall of famer rickie fowler, tole him that allison stokke married rickie in a pathetic attempt to make me jealous...shocky did not elaborate any further

it's basically a semi pro golfer development program in stillwater without an academic component

coach desimone back in the day targeted prospective haas biz ad majors like collin to ensure 4/5 year commitments, guys without academic ambition will not be willing to sacrifice range time for stupid **** like studying & reading books...coach chun (who is a smart haas biz ad grad & adaptive) & coach ireland also need to recruit a more ethnically diverse roster, whose gonna be the next max homa?

Shocky1

https://instagr.am/p/C3gn-Nxx9J8
yeah josiah invited megan thee stallion to his b-day party in denton but only new mascot/brand ambassador buc-ee showed up with 50% off coupons for bbq brisket sandwiches or something

the university of calveston (don't got **** weather like texas)#
Shocky1

2024 us open at pinehurst #2: 1st round update

despite 2 double bogey on par 3s due to slightly pulled high irons (that deviated from his patented world class fade) collin morikawa birdied the 17th & 18th holes to finish with an even par 70 & is tied for 16th place

max homa battled all day starting with a spectacular 2nd shot on his first hole of the day to 7 feet on the 619 yards par 5 10th hole along with multiple clutch mid range par saving putts en route to a kobe 71 & is tied for 34th

ben an couldn't buy a putt with a highly uncharacteristic zero birdies in carding a 74, ben will need to smoothly roll the rock tomorrow to make the cut
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

2025 smooth 6'3" 178 lbs wr tavian mcnair from corona centennial is gonna official visit berkeley june 13th

yeah corona is bear territory, just ask breezy about his degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the inland empire)
cal's monster class 2025 recruiting update:

crystal ball for tavian to the #1 ranked public university in the world

SPEED & soft hands=early playing time at memorial stadium

this **** is getting live#
tavian, don't worry if u commit to the #1 ranked public university in the world this weekend, no matter wut coach toler won't ever ask u to block or anything, ok?...burl thinks downfield blocking is for losers

corona centennial is bear territory (just ask camryn bynum who got minted by the minnesota vikings)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

6 '180 lbs future brilliant astronaut/nuero doggy dog brain surgery nobel peace prize winner/cornerback tre' harrison from junipero serra high school is gonna officially trip to the #1 ranked public university on planet earth on june 6th-8th

harrison got a bad azz physicality to his game plus he got track SPEED

tre is not a dumb azz, he got a 4.417 gpa & an offer from ******* harvard...there is no doubt that tre can read books & innovatively make an electric car outta **** parts from target or something like that

yeah my name is shocky & ima 100% in support of this actionable offer

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that wanna build generational wealth via nfl development at memorial stadium in the acc & hard work in the classrooms of berkeley)
wut up, tre?

look, wanna keep ur recruitment on ur official visit to berkeley this weekend on a transparent basis, ok?

coach wilcox just texted me & tole me that she would be ur roommate (transfer from the university of Ibiza, her unit 2 roommate form says her hobbies include "making homemade movies" whatever that means) if u commit to cal, ok?...pretty sure she don't snore or go thru ur **** or something but who knows for sure

fyi, ur 4.417 gpa is higher than hers but don't low key flex about that with them curvy brunette yoga females that wanna date/marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads, ok?

Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

2025 6'4" 235 lbs tight end barone naone from west linn oregon is gonna officially trip to cal on june 13th-16th...he wuz originally an oregon state commit before decommiting

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the drizzly azz northwest)
baron, don't tell nobody this during ur trip to berkeley this weekend but coach saffell (haas biz ad grad) is the future head coach in waiting for the california golden bear football program, got it?
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C5y6RfEuwUe
IMPORTANT ****SHOW WARNING ALERT: MEYER SWINNEY IS GONNA OFFICIALLY VISIT HIS BRO BASTIAN THIS WEEKEND

wut could possibly go wrong???
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

2024 us open at pinehurst #2: 1st round update

despite 2 double bogey on par 3s due to slightly pulled high irons (that deviated from his patented world class fade) collin morikawa birdied the 17th & 18th holes to finish with an even par 70 & is tied for 16th place

max homa battled all day starting with a spectacular 2nd shot on his first hole of the day to 7 feet on the 619 yards par 5 10th hole along with multiple clutch mid range par saving putts en route to a kobe 71 & is tied for 34th

ben an couldn't buy a putt with a highly uncharacteristic zero birdies in carding a 74, ben will need to smoothly roll the rock tomorrow to make the cut

Regarding the first video, that green looks brutal but that was just a ****ty putt. Speaking of ****, I'd be ****ting my pants having to hit flops all day off tight lies. The upside, I guess, is after practicing there all week I'd get pretty good at flops.
Shocky1

82, not so sure it's a smart idea to take golf instructional advice from mexican mini tour legend club pro guy, got it?

don't be a dumb azz (like eric & ethan, picking up range balls at pga frisco at age 30)#
First Page Last Page
Page 277 of 318

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.