cal's monster offensive line

1,818,823 Views | 11117 Replies | Last: 51 min ago by Shocky1
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those who say Lyons is a Cal football fan because he attended the Big Game in 1982. Is there any evidence outside of one data point?

A Cal football fan would have canned Knowlton so fast the Jet would be jealous.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
HoopDreams

Econ141
Shocky1 said:

bearsandgiants said:

If Lyons is worth his salt, this summer he will announce free admission to all sports (until capacity) with priority given to those who Knowlton forced to pay, and a $125 concession or ASUC store merch credit for all those who did.
b&g, if knowlton is still the athletic director when the bears play uc davis on saturday august 31st at a mostly empty memorial stadium then cal football (and other sports) will be gone for good as we know them now

thinking the athletic department can continue to go forward on its current path toward a financial tsunami is simply the end of cal sports on a competitive level

3 weeks until it's all over?
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

markeisha, realize ur a self proclaimed "revenue generator" despite zero sales metrics to support that baseless assertion but this is wut actual INNOVATION looks like in the biz REAL WORLD when implemented by non lazy azz worthless bureaucrats like urself...how's ur recruiting efforts going to find a replacement athletic tix director?

ur failure to grow the cal football & basketball attendance/fanbase in a time of the oakland raiders, golden state warriors, san francisco 49ers & soon oakland a's departing from the east bay/immediate bay area marketsapce is 100% stunning as is ur obstinate decision to not offer FREE tixs to all students who r the key to future season tix sales & a pipeline to the development of future major donors to berkeley which is critical as state funding will continue to decline at the current #1 ranked public university in the world...do u think rich lyons wants his berkeley legacy to include being the chancellor that lost it's #1 world ranking?

and shame on u for being a cal football acc billboard obstructionist

r u even aware that women's basketball tix sales both collegiate & professionally r exploding both locally & nationally except in berkeley??...the golden state valkyries have already accepted 12,000+ season tix sales deposits which suggests a major local interest in women's basketball yet the wbb bears routinely get crowds of a couple of hundred at haas pavilion under ur failed sales/marketing leadership

ur #1 supporter knowlton who handpicked u to lead the cal athletic department's marketing effort is on thin ice right now...

berkeley's next parking enforcement officer#
"NEW SEASON, SAME MESSAGE & SAME ABYSMAL ATTENDANCE"

hoops amigo, u & the monster both share a luv for cal women's basketball & yeah the 4.0 gpa +2 athletic michelle ugonne onyiah is my favorite current bears basketball player (male or female) but the twitter u posted isn't gonna reach anyone who isn't already a wbb fan & literally won't sell another tix to haas pavilion this season

this is all due to markeisha's continued abysmal FAILURE to market the FASTEST growing sport in the united states of america women's basketball with the taylor swift like popularity of caitlin clark

cal women's basketball should be attracting young families with kids, it's a VALUE play for 98% of the bay area that can't afford thousands of dollars for golden state warriors tixs at sf's chase arena

so wut's markeisha's solution to sell tixs other than the above ineffectual tweet?

on july 31st there wuz a meet & greet with coach charmin to grow the cal fanbase at a night event at the whitehorse (the oldest gay bar in the nation), how many kids do u think attended this event?? (probably there's more question marks here than new fans)

chancellor lyons, every day u allow the big 3 lazy azz bureaucratic ****show team of the con artist, jenny & markeisha to further degrade cal athletics reflects upon ur vision for the future (and yeah ur legacy too)
Shocky1

econ, we're gonna find out this fall if chancellor lyons is actually a superhero (man of action), in retrospect the uc davis game wuz not a realistic time frame 60 days into his chancellorship

fun facts: bearsandgiants above proposal that all students be offered FREE tixs to all football/basketball games & that those that already purchased the $125 student pass (a middle class+ luxury that wuz not a financially realistic option for my poor as ***** berkeley grad moms back in the day) be offered a $125 asuc store credit is BRILLIANT

and with that being said while attending every second of cal football during the critical 2024 season shocky is gonna report in detail the attendance metrics at memorial stadium

disturbing update: one of the options before chancellor lyons is to allow the athletic department instead of cutting costs/rightsizing the operation (reducing the # of sports programs) to borrow hundreds of millions of dollars from the central campus & then for him to forgive those loans in his final acts before leaving the chancellorship someday down the road...kicking the can & potentially bankrupting the future (wut happens if he strokes out/croaks before writing off the debt???) is NOT a biz strategy taught to shocky at the haas biz school back in the day

this story has NOT been written yet (but cal athletics is running outta time)#
Shocky1
Econ141 said:

Those who say Lyons is a Cal football fan because he attended the Big Game in 1982. Is there any evidence outside of one data point?

econ, this is a silly post, rich's love for cal football is not under question
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C-ikfDzPARA
shocky this morning got 9:30 am modern yoga (before his weekly 2:00 pm 2 hour deep tissue therapeutic massage with la quizzle) with the magic of anton while the non innovative cal football staff will be counting the # of INJURED players that don't got yoga/meditation practices

shocky, becky g & jaylen brown shaking our heads (sigh)#
mbBear
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/C8cxu5QSBNq
dumb & dumber (knowlton & markeisha) update:

a very savvy biz mind tole me today basically there's millions of potential sport tix buyers in the greater bay area/nor cal that have NEVER even considered buying a cal tix therefore the pricing is INELASTIC with respects to the cost of the tix for this potential market segment

the cal athletic department should therefore offer tens of thousands of FREE tixs for the 2024 football season (there will be 25,000+ EMPTY seats for the season opener vs uc davis at memorial stadium) to mostly non berkeley grad sports fans living within our market space & consider this an ACQUISITION COST to building the BRAND & selling future tixs

but the con artist & markeisha have opted instead to not offer FREE tixs to even all students (which is mind boggling marketing with severe future financial consequences) & instead just add thousands of additional TARPS...general knowlton tole an inquiring mind recently that he doesn't want to DILUTE the value of the cal football/basketball tix at a time when the cal season tix buyers/donors/friends of berkeley are rapidly aging out with a non existent replacement pipeline

bottom line, does chancellor lyons want his legacy to be the chancellor who lost berkeley's ranking as the #1 public university in the world??????

rich is running outta time (if he can't solve this PUZZLE)#

https://instagr.am/p/C-koxQrs4uj
were you not invited to be on the Lyons/Knowlton big donor call last week?
mbBear
Econ141 said:

There was a conference call last week with Lyons and Knowlton, and the biggest Cal donors. Yes, there is evidence.

Shocky1
mb, shocky hasn't donated a dollah (an amount rivaled by jaylen brown too) to the cal athletic department since the termination of cal's monster class

calumnus
mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

There was a conference call last week with Lyons and Knowlton, and the biggest Cal donors. Yes, there is evidence.

Is Lyons receiving any feedback that the donor calls might be more successful if Knowlton wasn't on them any more?
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

econ, we're gonna find out this fall if chancellor lyons is actually a superhero (man of action), in retrospect the uc davis game wuz not a realistic time frame 60 days into his chancellorship

fun facts: bearsandgiants above proposal that all students be offered FREE tixs to all football/basketball games & that those that already purchased the $125 student pass (a middle class+ luxury that wuz not a financially realistic option for my poor as ***** berkeley grad moms back in the day) be offered a $125 asuc store credit is BRILLIANT

and with that being said while attending every second of cal football during the critical 2024 season shocky is gonna report in detail the attendance metrics at memorial stadium

disturbing update: one of the options before chancellor lyons is to allow the athletic department instead of cutting costs/rightsizing the operation (reducing the # of sports programs) to borrow hundreds of millions of dollars from the central campus & then for him to forgive those loans in his final acts before leaving the chancellorship someday down the road...kicking the can & potentially bankrupting the future (wut happens if he strokes out/croaks before writing off the debt???) is NOT a biz strategy taught to shocky at the haas biz school back in the day

In reference to your disturbing update I think there are other parts of that proposal that are part of that. I think the Chancellor is looking at options to make Cal football and basketball healthy and competitive. Part of the longer term future is getting into the upper tier in the next realignment period. That period is likely coming soon. If football and basketball flounder Cal has zero chances of getting into the upper tier. Part of that is of course on field/court results and the other is showing financial and campus support for those programs. These programs must be allowed to be competitive vis a vis the competition.

I believe even you acknowledge the ACC/ESPN contract could end as soon as the end of the 2025/2026 season. I agree that the department needs to be right sized, but given where we are in the calendar that is not realistic for this upcoming season. But plans can be formed regarding how to move forward. I believe this is likely to occur.

I think your point about taking action this early in his term regarding Knowlton is valid. Chancellor Christ needed to take action but instead left Lyons holding the bag. What he can do though is make clear what his expectations are in regards to support of programs. Like you I am very angry about the poor marketing of the programs and the ticket issue for students. But after the audit is complete and he has a chance to review in greater detail how the AD acts in season I expect a change could be made. I think the Chancellor wants to make sure they have a rock solid case for termination for cause and avoid lengthy and expensive litagation. I would not be surprised if the Chancellor looks to negotiate a settlement with Knowlton.

But sure enough just kicking the can down the road without taking any action would not be a good thing. Time is running short. But for now I am trusting that someone as smart and savvy as Rich Lyons has a plan. But major changes to the department that would impact the 2024/2025 seasons were unlikley.
calumnus
6956bear said:

Shocky1 said:

In reference to your disturbing update I think there are other parts of that proposal that are part of that. I think the Chancellor is looking at options to make Cal football and basketball healthy and competitive. Part of the longer term future is getting into the upper tier in the next realignment period. That period is likely coming soon. If football and basketball flounder Cal has zero chances of getting into the upper tier. Part of that is of course on field/court results and the other is showing financial and campus support for those programs. These programs must be allowed to be competitive vis a vis the competition.

I believe even you acknowledge the ACC/ESPN contract could end as soon as the end of the 2025/2026 season. I agree that the department needs to be right sized, but given where we are in the calendar that is not realistic for this upcoming season. But plans can be formed regarding how to move forward. I believe this is likely to occur.

I think your point about taking action this early in his term regarding Knowlton is valid. Chancellor Christ needed to take action but instead left Lyons holding the bag. What he can do though is make clear what his expectations are in regards to support of programs. Like you I am very angry about the poor marketing of the programs and the ticket issue for students. But after the audit is complete and he has a chance to review in greater detail how the AD acts in season I expect a change could be made. I think the Chancellor wants to make sure they have a rock solid case for termination for cause and avoid lengthy and expensive litagation. I would not be surprised if the Chancellor looks to negotiate a settlement with Knowlton.

But sure enough just kicking the can down the road without taking any action would not be a good thing. Time is running short. But for now I am trusting that someone as smart and savvy as Rich Lyons has a plan. But major changes to the department that would impact the 2024/2025 seasons were unlikley.

Christ retiring just as we entered the ACC without doing anything about Knowlton meant that planning and right sizing for 2024-25 was not going to happen even though it was far and away the best time to do it (before we start sending our many teams to the ACC). Just another example of how bad our leadership has been at this critical time.

The big question is the long overdue outside law firm report on Knowlton's misconduct in the McKeever case. I can't imagine it has not been completed, maybe more than a year ago. If it exonerates him, you'd think they would have said so a long time ago. Anything from the sources reporting on this story in the past?

For a reminder:
https://swimswam.com/new-year-same-administration-former-cal-swimmers-still-waiting-for-accountability/

Has Lyons read any of this, or is he relying on what Christ and Knowlton tell him?
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

Is Lyons receiving any feedback that the donor calls might be more successful if Knowlton wasn't on them any more?
I'm hearing about the call from someone I am very close to, so not verbatim. My takeaway is that Lyons set the tone and most of the mandates, and Knowlton is there to carry out those directives.
What Knowlton thinks about the number of sports is irrelevant in a world where the men's sports have to be fully endowed to exist(yes, that was said). What Knowlton thinks about the importance of football isn't all that important in a world where the President of the university thinks that sport (and men's basketball) are HIGHLY important to the missions of the University OVERALL.
From how it was laid out to me: What happens next for Cal Athletics has very little to do with Jim Knowlton...if it saves money to have him be a lacky, then fine...not saying for a second that he should stay, or lobbying, or anything else I might be accused of....but if he is all about the status quo, he won't be around anyway....

Alkiadt
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

I'm hearing about the call from someone I am very close to, so not verbatim. My takeaway is that Lyons set the tone and most of the mandates, and Knowlton is there to carry out those directives.
What Knowlton thinks about the number of sports is irrelevant in a world where the men's sports have to be fully endowed to exist(yes, that was said). What Knowlton thinks about the importance of football isn't all that important in a world where the President of the university thinks that sport (and men's basketball) are HIGHLY important to the missions of the University OVERALL.
From how it was laid out to me: What happens next for Cal Athletics has very little to do with Jim Knowlton...if it saves money to have him be a lacky, then fine...not saying for a second that he should stay, or lobbying, or anything else I might be accused of....but if he is all about the status quo, he won't be around anyway....

Spot on as I have heard exactly the same. Rich Lyons knows the stakes and is directing the ship.
It will not be done quickly but the wheels are in motion. Forget about who you think is making the decisions. Only one guy is and he believes winning at Football and Basketball is vital and important to the university.
Econ141
That's all I want to hear. As long as we have someone competent steering our revenue programs I am happy to let the chips fall where they may.

Cal (and Stanford) are located in an economically and intellectually vibrant location that is unmatched. Leaving these two out of the future of college football can only be done those who have know idea how to market what we have (and could be!).
Give to Cal Legends!

calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

However, to satisfy Title IX and not put the department in the red, a men's sport needs to be not only fully endowed, but also support an equivalent number of women's scholarships.
Shocky1

3.75 gpa qb1 of the future in berkeley#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

fun fact: one of life's great adventures is going to cal football games on the road, there are a lotta passionate california golden bears that on september 21st are gonna make tallahassee bear territory!!!!

if ur not gonna be in tallahassee, r u gonna be in berkeley on october 5th when them miami hurricanes get their azzs handed to them when they try to repaint memorial stadium black & orange???

https://instagr.am/p/B_qxnIODyW3
the time is NOW for everything (don't be a dumb azz)#

ponytails & bad judgment r triggering (tallahassee is bear territory!!!!!!!)#
Big C
Alkiadt said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

Spot on as I have heard exactly the same. Rich Lyons knows the stakes and is directing the ship.
It will not be done quickly but the wheels are in motion. Forget about who you think is making the decisions. Only one guy is and he believes winning at Football and Basketball is vital and important to the university.

This. As to Econ's concern above, even as entrepreneurial a Chancellor as Lyons is, it is just not the nature of the University bureaucracy where a new leader can come in guns-a-blazin' and begin his tenure by firing people in the first month (no less the first day). This isn't "X" (formerly known as Twitter). It will take a little longer, but Chancellor Lyons will get us moving in the right direction.
calumnus
Big C said:

Alkiadt said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

This. As to Econ's concern above, even as entrepreneurial a Chancellor as Lyons is, it is just not the nature of the University bureaucracy where a new leader can come in guns-a-blazin' and begin his tenure by firing people in the first month (no less the first day). This isn't "X" (formerly known as Twitter). It will take a little longer, but Chancellor Lyons will get us moving in the right direction.

Unless the results of a $multimillion investigation into the AD's criminal misconduct was awaiting him on day 1. Then things might move a little faster.
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

However, to satisfy Title IX and not put the department in the red, a men's sport needs to be not only fully endowed, but also support an equivalent number of women's scholarships.
if we only have men's sports that are fully endowed (and that means operational costs too) that puts less strain on the revenue sports than it does now....
Or are you saying that what was said on the call?
calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

if we only have men's sports that are fully endowed (and that means operational costs too) that puts less strain on the revenue sports than it does now....

No, I was not on the call and I believe the report of what was said. What I'm saying that is what is needed from a budgetary standpoint. Every men's scholarship given requires an additional women's scholarship be given. It is not enough to fully fund the men's scholarships if it generates an equivalent cost that is not covered.

For example, if the budget is balanced and you add a new men's sport, even if all the costs (coaches, scholarships, etc) for the men are covered by donors, you will need to add an equivalent women's sport to comply with Title IX and now you are operating a huge deficit. Maintaining a current men's sport is the same economic issue as adding a men's sport.

Football is not going to be able to support anything more than an equivalent number of wonen's scholarships going forward. Besides the greatly reduced revenues we may need to pay the players from those revenues.

Every other men's sport should be paired with an equivalent women's sport and the donors should be told that BOTH men's and women's sides need to be fully funded for them not to be BOTH on the chopping block.

Donors thinking they can save a men's sport by fully funding only it is part of the financial problem we are in and is only going to lead to anger and recrimination later if they need to be cut due to budgetary issues.

If that reality was not stated in the call then Lyons and Knowlton (no surprise) are not yet dealing with what is about to hit us.
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

No, I was not on the call and I believe the report of what was said. What I'm saying that is what is needed from a budgetary standpoint. Every men's scholarship given requires an additional women's scholarship be given. It is not enough to fully fund the men's scholarships if it generates an equivalent cost that is not covered.

For example, if the budget is balanced and you add a new men's sport, even if all the costs (coaches, scholarships, etc) for the men are covered by donors, you will need to add an equivalent women's sport to comply with Title IX and now you are operating a huge deficit. Maintaining a current men's sport is the same economic issue as adding a men's sport.

Football is not going to be able to support anything more than an equivalent number of wonen's scholarships going forward. Besides the greatly reduced revenues we may need to pay the players from those revenues.

Every other men's sport should be paired with an equivalent women's sport and the donors should be told that BOTH men's and women's sides need to be fully funded for them not to be BOTH on the chopping block.

Donors thinking they can save a men's sport by fully funding only it is part of the financial problem we are in and is only going to lead to anger and recrimination later if they need to be cut due to budgetary issues.

If that reality was not stated in the call then Lyons and Knowlton (no surprise) are not yet dealing with what is about to hit us.

Please don't take anything I posted as a reflection on Lyons, or a conclusion on what the economics are of the situation.
There was a lot more, but I"m not going to add my second hand knowledge and fuel speculation.
There is zero reason to believe that what you are talking isn't included, thought about, or been accounted for.

calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

Please don't take anything I posted as a reflection on Lyons, or a conclusion on what the economics are of the situation.
There was a lot more, but I"m not going to add my second hand knowledge and fuel speculation.
There is zero reason to believe that what you are talking isn't included, thought about, or been accounted for.

Ok, I'll just state my opinion/analysis of what is needed: 1) the donors need to understand the magnitude of what is needed to save men's sports and as part of that the men's sports need to no longer be considered financially separate from women's sports and 2) to raise that kind of money Knowlton needs to be replaced by someone who loves Cal, can set the vision, has wide alumni contacts in the business world and can attract new donors and new money to support that vision.
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

Ok, I'll just state my opinion/analysis of what is needed: 1) the donors need to understand the magnitude of what is needed to save men's sports and as part of that the men's sports need to no longer be considered financially separate from women's sports and 2) to raise that kind of money Knowlton needs to be replaced by someone who loves Cal, can set the vision, has wide alumni contacts in the business world and can attract new donors and new money to support that vision.

The next big financial contributions and potential money streams are going to be because of Lyons, and his background, not because of Knowlton... not my opinion, that is already in the works, and we can see what comes of that.
I refer you to Alkaidt's comments above; way more connected than I am...
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Alkiadt said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

Unless the results of a $multimillion investigation into the AD's criminal misconduct was awaiting him on day 1. Then things might move a little faster.

I hesitate to sound like I want to profit from McKeever's transgressions, but that is probably our best way out from under Knowlton's contract.
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C-n36zASD7N
2024 fall camp: practice #11

cal's monster offensive line:

after sunday's ****show performance allowing 9 sacks & a half a dozen plus drive killing penalties & monday off, the trench workers showed up this morning with alpha male driven enthusiasm/chip on their shoulders to get better...and they need to get ******* better, the offense isn't gonna work without a monster offensive line & cal football is outta time

if he can improve his snapping it's trending that my fiery fight club bro #66 will mcdonald is gonna be the bears opening game center against uc davis...and extreme games +1 athletic #63 rush reimer is pulling ahead to start at left guard...right now sioape still gotta boot on his foot so swiss army knife #76 bastian swinney is starting at right guard...the kinda mystery man this fall camp has been #74 matthew wykoff who gotta lotta gameday snaps last season but seemed to lack quick twitch explosiveness, the o-line needs him to make a move...#72 tj session got right tackled locked down & #52 nick morrow is ahead of a finally healthy #78 victor stoffel at left tackle

Alkiadt
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

fun fact: one of life's great adventures is going to cal football games on the road, there are a lotta passionate california golden bears that on september 21st are gonna make tallahassee bear territory!!!!

if ur not gonna be in tallahassee, r u gonna be in berkeley on october 5th when them miami hurricanes get their azzs handed to them when they try to repaint memorial stadium black & orange???

Not surprised FSU is sold out; their stadium
Is undergoing a major renovation and a large portion of the stadium is not available to season ticket holders this season. Capacity this year is only 55,000. It previously was 79,000.
bearsandgiants
Alkiadt said:

Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

Not surprised FSU is sold out; their stadium
Is undergoing a major renovation and a large portion of the stadium is not available to season ticket holders this season. Capacity this year is only 55,000. It previously was 79,000.

It's parents weekend at FSU. Tickets are very hard to snag. One of the first times buying through Cal has been relatively "cheap." It's gonna be an electric atmosphere with acc officials rigging it against us from the opening kick.
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

one of chancellor lyon's 1st steps of action upon his coronation july 1st wuz initiating an outside audit of the athletic department, this is a behind the scenes monster look at this report

https://instagr.am/p/C93Bv-TvvtY

HIGHLY CLASSIFIED super duper top secret audit report re: the Cal Athletic Department for Chancellor Richard Lyons

Executive Summary: This is a ******* financial ****show!!!!

1st recommended corrective action: Chancellor Lyons should issue an Executive Proclamation from the top of the Campanille prior to the August 31, 2024 home game at Memorial Stadium against the UC Davis Aggies that ALL students are invited/welcomed to attend all Football and Basketball games for FREE!!!

The future of the University is going to need a significant infusion of NEW season tixs buyers and future mega donors to financially survive the expected severe budget cuts from the State of California. Attending Football and Basketball games at their alma mater is a critical pipeline measure to developing the necessary school spirit to ensure future generational wealth donations particularly as the current Berkeley donor pool is dying due to poor diets/excessive drinking and old age.

With the escalating number of 1st generation Berkeley college students who come from poor as **** socioeconomic backgrounds (like Shocky's moms back in the day) and an increasing number of international students who have never attended a Football and/or Basketball game in their native countries, it is critical that the future fanbase/Builders of Berkeley be inclusively exposed to the Magic of Cal Football and Basketball during their formative college years!!

Please note that if any of these students are a curvy brunette yoga female Shocky will personally sit by them on gamedays & explain the nuances of the sports to them.

2nd recommended corrective action: Personnel changes

James Arthur Knowlton: The "Con Artist" is financially illiterate with poor judgement (Mark Fox contract extension), possesses an anti Football and Basketball bias and functions as a seasonal part time worker from Colorado Springs, he should be terminated immediately as the current Athletic Director based upon his role in the McKeever suicidal women's swimmers scandal as documented in the Dan Mogulof 2nd outside legal counsel investigation.

Jennifer Simon-O'Neil: "Jenny" is truly evil as **** with an anti Football and Basketball bias who has been a bad human being since her Bay Area prep school days, she should be terminated immediately as the #2 in Charge based upon her role in the McKeever suicidal women's swimmers scandal as documented in the Dan Mogulof 2nd outside legal counsel investigation.

Andrew McGraw: The Berkeley grad should be immediately appointed as the acting Athletic Director with the understanding this will become a permanent promotion upon successful results.

Jay John: The most savvy person in the Athletic Department should be immediately appointed as the #2 in charge.

Markeisha Everrett: Should be immediately reassigned to Berkeley Campus Parking Enforcement pending her successful completion of all mandated defensive driving classes.

Sierra Achin-Cryns: The Berkeley grad should be immediately named Chief Financial Officer with the June 1, 2024 retirement of Tom Lowry who shared his useless bureaucratic's boss anti Football and Basketball bias.

3rd recommended corrective action: Righting the department to a financially sustainable number of sports programs in full compliance with Title IX.

Programs to be prioritized:

1) Football (118 counters): The HIGHEST priority for all future expenditures.
2) Men's Basketball (21): Revenue growth potential with Coach Madsen.
3) Women's Basketball (14): WBNA growth is explosive, Cal's WBB program is currently poorly marketed.
4) Men's Golf (11): The $37,000,000 current endowment is the highest of all cal sports teams including football.
5) Women's Golf (6): Significant donor support
6) Women's Gymnastic (15): Championship program
7) Women's Swimming & Diving (32): Championship program
8) Men's Swimming & Diving (38): Championship program
9) Women's Volleyball (17): Required by the ACC for membership
10) Men's Tennis (11): Significant donor support
11) Men's Water Polo (34): Championship program
12) Women's Rowing (60): Huge roster "counters" is key to overall Title IX compliance.
13) Women's Softball (23): Growth sport in the United States with high school females.
14) Women's Tennis (10): Championship program
15) Women's Water Polo (24): Championship program
16) Women's Soccer (31): Growth sport in the United States with high school females.

Programs to be terminated/reclassified as Club teams:

1) Baseball (46 counters): Terminated. The original $18,000,000 fundraising to save the program has been spent and the program talent gutted by the MLB draft and transfer portal this offseason. Evans Diamonds should be "sold" to the Central Campus to burn down the massive debt liabilities incurred by Knowlton with zero probability of future revenues to repay this debt as it becomes due and repurposed for the greater good of the University.
2) Men's Gymnastics (23): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.
3) Men's Rowing (69): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.
4) Rugby (53): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.
5) Men's Soccer (38): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.
6) Men's Track and Field (58): Terminated. Edwards Field should be "sold" to the Central Campus to burn down the massive debt liabilities incurred by Knowlton with zero probability of future revenues to repay this debt as it becomes due and repurposed for the greater good of the University.
7) Women's Track and Field (57): Terminated. See above.
8) Women's Beach Volleyball (18): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.
9) Women's Cross Country (16): Terminated
10) Men's Cross Country (13): Terminated
11) Women's Lacrosse (34): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.
12) Women's Field Hockey (28): Reclassified as a club sport with no AD financial support.

Bottom line, failure to take ACTION at this time would be a dumb decision and result in a further **** situation.

Chancellor Lyons, do you want your legacy to be the Chancellor who lost Berkeley's ranking as the #1 ranked public university in the WORLD??

lyons/knowlton zoom call aka "timeshare sales pitch" update:

sources: shocky communicated with almost a dozen participants via phone calls & emails today, many of them builders of berkeley ($1,000,000+ donors)

purpose of the "timeshare sales pitch": chancellor lyons tole the assembled donors that with their "generous history of supporting this great university" that he's counting on them to fund/endow all the men's sport teams with the exceptions of football & basketball otherwise these programs will no longer exist & that he's also seeking money for the women's programs too

reaction to the sales pitch: near zero interest in funding these sports programs, donors are wondering if rich honestly doesn't know that nobody (outside of knowlton & jenny) truly gives a **** about olympic sports (or medals/trophies) or funding their existence or if he's just covering all his bases

the process: there will be committees for each sports program which will then build out subcommittees that will then designate a fundraising chairman...no definitive timeline wuz (which is NOT how things work in the real world) mentioned for how long this bureaucratic waste of time & energy will take place

the end result: minimal dollars will be actually raised & even fewer dollars collected cash in hand

cal athletic strategic plan: read this document signed by cal's current athletic director & the outgoing chancellor, check out priority #1 & priority #5...this wuz sent to me as a primary reason why one particular mega donor is not gonna write a check for this "timeshare sales pitch" campaign
https://calbears.com/sports/2019/8/20/cal-athletics-strategic-plan.aspx

feedback responses: this surprised me but a majority of them think shocky is way too optimistic (even gotta unsolicited psychoanalysis that as a haas biz ad grad that i irrationally think that fellow haas biz ad grad rich thinks like me) re: lyons taking control of the athletic department before it's too late...several of them view him as likable & a sports fan but also an academian & an administrator with no real world experience who has "never been a ceo or run a company" with profit/loss capitalism...when shocky mentioned rich's past work at goldman sachs in new york city it wuz pointed out to me that this wuz in a corporate training role, he wuz not a rainmaking bro of wall street...almost everybody shocky spoke to mentioned that the inclusion of knowlton on the zoom call suggests that the current bureaucratic wasteful spending of the athletic department is gonna continue but now that lyons wants donors to dig them outta that financial hole which is not gonna happen...another donor tole me he thinks berkeley may not be a world top 100 university in a decade from now...if that's the case shocky will need to adapt & just brag about graduating from stinson beach high school then...funniest feedback comment: one donor views knowlton as "the toy soldier" in toy story blah blah blah march march march blah blah blah

biggest takeaway: rich doesn't enjoy the full support of the mega donors that i thought he had & the rightsizing of the cal athletic department isn't gonna happen anytime soon

oskiswifeshusband
Well that's not good….
Econ141
So my Eyeore view of cal football and athletics has proven to be right. This was the realistic view I can get behind. From a home run hire to a dud in just a span of a few weeks.

If he can't get the message from these donors, he is basically as useless as Knowlton.

What is the point of supporting this nonsense any longer?

I cannot believe that after everything that has transpired, including being left out of football all together, these morons can't get their acts together and are primarily worried about belonging.

If the donors need to slap them upside the head with a fist full of cash, I think they should do it!
Give to Cal Legends!

NarangS19
I ain't gonna lie dude, if you think they were gonna cut 12 sports right off the bat, you might be crazier than you sound. Also, the fact that you think no one cares about olympic sports is also crazy.
Big C

Optimist here: Shocky mentioned the word "process" and that is what Lyons is doing -- going through the process of making every effort (or at least saying he did) to save these sports. That was Sandy Barbour's key mistake; she didn't go through the process.

Then, when he has to make some cuts, he can say, "I made every effort to secure funding, but now we have to move on."
First Page Last Page
Page 297 of 318

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.