Transfer portal tally (updated list for Cal players leaving and those coming to Cal)

51,285 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the comments of the players leaving, they may be seeking a less secular educational environment.
DavisBear
DeCarlos Brooks and Slater Zellers to ASU
BearGoggles
KoreAmBear said:

DavisBear said:

Add LB Trey Paster to the list.
No. Ugh.
No offense to Trey, but why "ugh"? Paster didn't see the field much and Cal can use the scholly. What am I missing?
KoreAmBear
BearGoggles said:

KoreAmBear said:

DavisBear said:

Add LB Trey Paster to the list.
No. Ugh.
No offense to Trey, but why "ugh"? Paster didn't see the field much and Cal can use the scholly. What am I missing?
I thought he was pretty highly rated and could get in the rotation.
wifeisafurd
If Spav's offense is working, Cal is not running a lot of clock when scoring. Will need some Portal transfers for defensive depth. Dline has a lot of guys coming back (more on that as things progress), but I would expect some Portal LBs and DBs coming in.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

If Spav's offense is working, Cal is not running a lot of clock when scoring. Will need some Portal transfers for defensive depth. Dline has a lot of guys coming back (more on that as things progress), but I would expect some Portal LBs and DBs coming in.

In 2016 our average time of possession was 28:20
In 2022 our average time of possession was 28:35

I don't think 15 seconds more per game is going to unduly tire out our defense.

Another way of looking at it:
In 2016 we averaged 86.3 plays per game on offense and 77.3 plays per game on defense.

In 2022 we averaged 65.4 plays per game on offense and 73.6 plays per game on defense. So compared to 2022 that would be just 3.7 more plays per game. However, this defense is better, so maybe they force an occasional punt and get off the field faster?
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

In 2016 we averaged 86.3 plays per game on offense and 77.3 plays per game on defense.

In 2022 we averaged 65.4 plays per game on offense and 73.6 plays per game on defense. So compared to 2022 that would be just 3.7 more plays per game. However, this defense is better, so maybe they force an occasional punt and get off the field faster?
Spav runs offenses that use tempo and score more quickly. They also tend to bog down hen they don't, especially in the red zone (and run clock and make a lot of plays). Baldwin''s offense ran cloak, and that was in conjunction with Wilcox trying to protect against what was thought to be a weak defense. Musgrave never ran a remotely successful offense, so I'm not sure how to make a comparison. But the offensive differences s/b obvious just watching film.
Strykur
wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Spav runs offenses that use tempo and score more quickly. They also tend to bog down hen they don't, especially in the red zone (and run clock and make a lot of plays). Baldwin''s offense ran cloak, and that was in conjunction with Wilcox trying to protect against what was thought to be a weak defense. Musgrave never ran a remotely successful offense, so I'm not sure how to make a comparison. But the offensive differences s/b obvious just watching film.
More plays tires out the opposing defenses, that's the key with Spav's raid.
calumnus
Strykur said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Exactly. It is more plays in the same amount of time of possession. It is the offense and opposing defense that gets tired, more than your own defense.

Dykes' Cal defenses didn't suck because of the offense, they sucked because they sucked.
tequila4kapp
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Also, in 2022 opposing offenses were under almost no game pressure to score. Games were "comfortable" for opposing teams. In 2023 if we are scoring more opposing teams will be playing a different type of game against us, and that likely means some number of additional intakes and turnovers by them.

Of course, this assumes OL issues are fixed. No offense will work with the type of OL play we saw for most of last year. The bubble screens won't be effective if Ds no those vertical passes aren't a real threat and the vertical passes won't work if the QB is on his back.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

Strykur said:

wifeisafurd said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

Exactly. It is more plays in the same amount of time of possession. It is the offense and opposing defense that gets tired, more than your own defense.

Dykes' Cal defenses didn't suck because of the offense, they sucked because they sucked.
Sure, Wilcox defenses and coaching are better than what Sonny had. Point bering, there are problems with one season number comparisons. For example, in Spav's year here, the offense rolled it up on teams that didn't have strong Lin plays, but floundered against teams with better lines making the numbers not all that comparable. Lot of us who were hoping for the dream situation, Spav Bear Raid combine with Wilcox defenses presumed Spav with a couple seasons would have a more consistent product - but Wilcox went in a different direction.
KenBurnski
Keleki Latu In the portal.
JTfromClash
ugh
NVBear78
KenBurnski said:

Keleki Latu In the portal.

Best wishes to him. We will survive this well.
KenBurnski
Agreed. Thought maybe Terry might go. A little surprised by this one but not the total gut punch many of us fear.

Big C

Latu had been in the doghouse since that one game where he had the fumble and the key drop.

Do we think Spav is going to continue with an offense that basically doesn't use tight ends?
6956bear
Big C said:

Latu had been in the doghouse since that one game where he had the fumble and the key drop.

Do we think Spav is going to continue with an offense that basically doesn't use tight ends?
He might. Terry has shown no ability to be a receiving threat. Latu would have likely gotten the majority of snaps at TE had he decided to stick it out.
NVBear78
Terry certainly looks the part in size and athleticism. Wonder if he may have a brighter future at DE?
Econ141
Wasn't Terry a 4*? Did he all of a sudden forget how to catch? It wouldn't surprise me if Musgrave actually made people worse.

I just don't get how you can spend all this time recruiting someone and then find out they don't have the hands to play. Seems like recruiting 101.
Big C
Econ141 said:

Wasn't Terry a 4*? Did he all of a sudden forget how to catch? It wouldn't surprise me if Musgrave actually made people worse.

I just don't get how you can spend all this time recruiting someone and then find out they don't have the hands to play. Seems like recruiting 101.

A 4-star indeed. Almost as highly rated as Brock Bowers from Napa (same class) who is killing it for Georgia. Offers from lots of top programs, not just Cal.

I'm not sure Terry ever learned how to catch, though, and has been highly rated largely on potential. When we were recruiting him, I was shocked at his reception numbers. Hardly any catches as a sophomore or junior (small-time program, basically w/o a passing offense?), then had his senior season cancelled because of COVID.

I suspect he attended camps and impressed people with his potential. Surely, they must have been seeing him catch the ball. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been highly rated as a tight end.

His freshman year, he probably weighed more than was ideal. This past season, he looked great in the uniform, but was somewhat inconsistent as a blocker and fair-at-best as a receiver.

As a highly rated local guy who came to Cal with great enthusiasm, I'd love to see him blossom, but I'm wondering how Spavital will use him.
calumnus
Big C said:

Econ141 said:

A 4-star indeed. Almost as highly rated as Brock Bowers from Napa (same class) who is killing it for Georgia. Offers from lots of top programs, not just Cal.

I'm not sure Terry ever learned how to catch, though, and has been highly rated largely on potential. When we were recruiting him, I was shocked at his reception numbers. Hardly any catches as a sophomore or junior (small-time program, basically w/o a passing offense?), then had his senior season cancelled because of COVID.

I suspect he attended camps and impressed people with his potential. Surely, they must have been seeing him catch the ball. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been highly rated as a tight end.

His freshman year, he probably weighed more than was ideal. This past season, he looked great in the uniform, but was somewhat inconsistent as a blocker and fair-at-best as a receiver.

As a highly rated local guy who came to Cal with great enthusiasm, I'd love to see him blossom, but I'm wondering how Spavital will use him.

I think a 300 lb TE can be ideal, depending how you use them. Short yardage especially. Essentially as a 6th OL that can also catch passes. Seems like having him play 4 games trying out as a DE might have been better than just redshirting him.
CAL4LIFE
calumnus said:

Big C said:

Econ141 said:

I think a 300 lb TE can be ideal, depending how you use them. Short yardage especially. Essentially as a 6th OL that can also catch passes. Seems like having him play 4 games trying out as a DE might have been better than just redshirting him.
Or you could just have better coaching, schemes, and SC program instead of the garbage that Cal overpays for.

Redshirting is a dinosaur mindset.

The athletes deserve better.
MilleniaBear
Was never impressed with his blocking. He looked lost on running plays.
calumnus
MilleniaBear said:

He is tall and now lean, blocking shorter LBs in space is different than if he was 300 LBs lined up next to the tackle as a 6th OL with a set blocking assignment, then taking a few steps out of an easy pitch and catch instead of the tough sideline routes,
KoreAmBear
MilleniaBear said:

When he was playing out of position at RT, guys were blowing by him.
Big C
MilleniaBear said:

A lot of folks were saying he's a great blocker, or at least going to become one, but I think it was more them drooling over his size. Blocking takes technique and "want to".

He's still capable of improving. Lots of players get a lot better when they're upperclassmen.
KoreAmBear
First one incoming from the portal:

NorCalFBFan
Your comment that JT is out of position playing O line reminds me of this little beauty!
Rushinbear
Big C said:

heartofthebear said:

If that is all we are losing I'm okay with that, although Coleman will be hard to replace.

Dude, expect a THIRD of the roster from just about every team to go into the portal (or, at the very least, they are considering it as we speak). Some of them will just try it on for size, then come back. Some of them will be surprised when there isn't that much interest and their original team doesn't want them back. Some will leave and be significant losses.

The question's gonna be: At the end of the day, did we end up getting more than we lost?
the Portal offers the solution to the Bear Bryant dilemma: "It's not who you didn't get. It's who you got who can't play." Looks like the scales are tilting in our favor, so far.
Cal_79
MilleniaBear said:

The entire OL looked lost. Why would you expect better from Terry?
KoreAmBear
Besides Twitter and BI writer updates, here is a Cal portal transfer page.

https://247sports.com/college/california/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24089
Shocky1
koream, this list gotta lotta missing info
KoreAmBear
Shocky1 said:

koream, this list gotta lotta missing info
Pls add and I will update. If you meant the 247, yah they slow in updating.
Fire Starkey
Did Hisatake go into the portal? Thought I saw that somewhere
KoreAmBear
Good catch:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.