Transfer portal tally (updated list for Cal players leaving and those coming to Cal)

51,273 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We need friggin depth across the board. Everyone always gets excited every season, and if we were 100% healthy, we'd be able to compete with most teams, but we are one deep at most spots, and it kills us every year.
MilleniaBear
I guess we didn't want Butterfield? Left the Ducks for San Jose State. Pro style QB from east bay.
Alkiadt
southseasbear said:

BearGoggles said:

DoubtfulBear said:

BearGoggles said:

DoubtfulBear said:

BearGoggles said:

SBGold said:

Econ141 said:

We are making lists:

The Pac 12 is hemorrhaging
Maybe. But the chart doesn't really show that. How many of the transfer outs are landing "up" vs. "down"? How many are grad transfers?

In Cal's case, with a few notable and painful exceptions, the guys leaving are not key guys and are landing at places like Nevada or a rebuilding ASU.

The quantity of players leaving is irrelevant. A big number could be a good thing if you cleaning dead weight of the roster. The qualify matters. JMike hurts as do a few others. But most of the players who have left are guys Cal is glad (or at least not upset) to see leave and pretty easily replacable.
Every single one of these schools has better 2023 recruiting than us. In terms quality of inflows vs outflows, we would be even worse than what the graphic shows
Is the post about portal transfers or recruiting? Not the same thing. If you want to complain about 2023 recruiting, fine. But that has nothing to do with the impact of the gross number portal outflows. And in terms of recruiting, the guys you're recruiting in the class of 2023 are not replacing the guys leaving in the portal in any real sense.

Cal has a glaring need at OL. If they find 2 league average or better starters there - particularly OT- then that is far more impactful then losing backup rbs, two underachieving tight ends, and a few other guys. And of course qb. Guys like JMike hurt. No doubt about that. But there are only 2-3 guys I put in that "ouch" category so far and we've added Cardwell and possibly a QB.

You can freak out at every departure if you want to chicken little this. But we won't really know the final impact until spring when additional transfers are made.
If you are going to call our 4 star losses at TE, RB, WR as backups, then it's fair to say the same about Allen and Cardwell, who were underachieving and barely saw play. I don't see where you are getting confidence about getting OL starters when we have yet to pick up a single starter from the portal this season.
Latu was inconsistent and Terry played like a one star. Maybe that's coaching, but it is reality. And Terry is not a fit for Slavs offense. No loss there IMO. Just disappointment he didn't pan out.

The RB departures were all guys who weren't seeing the field at Cal. For you to bring that up as a negative shows that you're a chicken little. Cardwell is an upgrade to anyone who left. Full stop. To be upset about the rbs that left is just stupid.

Losing JMIKE is a real loss.

And where did I say I was "confident" Cal would get two OL? I simply said that was the most important portal issue - much more relevant that the "number" of guys in the portal.

Agree 100% except Ashton Hayes is a loss. With his speed, he should have received more playing time.

So did he get more offers than Nevada?

I don't think so.
MoragaBear
Staff
MilleniaBear said:

I guess we didn't want Butterfield? Left the Ducks for San Jose State. Pro style QB from east bay.
No
KoreAmBear
When everyone wakes up on Sunday 1/8 (in anticipation of the Cal QB bowl as well as Davis Webb playing), we will have 10 days that will determine our 2023 season as the portal window closes 1/18: 10 days to essentially find our O line and a starting QB to make spring ball. There is a new portal window 5/1 but that could be kind of late to make an impact learning the offense only in fall ball. I don't think I'm being overly dramatic at this point with the lack of signees.
KoreAmBear
Welcome Asher! Grad transfer from north Texas with 2 years to play.

Rushinbear
Econ141 said:

We are making lists:

Two- edged sword. "It's not the ones you don't get. It's the ones you do get that can't play." Bryant.
Econ141
KoreAmBear said:

When everyone wakes up on Sunday 1/8 (in anticipation of the Cal QB bowl as well as Davis Webb playing), we will have 10 days that will determine our 2023 season as the portal window closes 1/18: 10 days to essentially find our O line and a starting QB to make spring ball. There is a new portal window 5/1 but that could be kind of late to make an impact learning the offense only in fall ball. I don't think I'm being overly dramatic at this point with the lack of signees.

The entire North Texas o-line that should be jumping at the opportunity to come here. It's sad none have come. Even if they are not great - some bodies are better then none. Some depth is better than none. Lack of anyone coming is not a great sign of our recruiting efforts.
DoubtfulBear
We picked up one guy at least
oski003
Econ141 said:

KoreAmBear said:

The entire North Texas o-line that should be jumping at the opportunity to come here. It's sad none have come. Even if they are not great - some bodies are better then none. Some depth is better than none. Lack of anyone coming is not a great sign of our recruiting efforts.

Which o-lineman from North Texas are you targeting, Eeyore?
BearGoggles
KoreAmBear said:

I think you are being overly dramatic. In recent years, there have been lots of guys who have transferred in the spring and had an immediate impact the following season. And there is a whole new group of players who are grad transfers).

I do agree that it would be better to get the players now and the current roster/OL is untenable.
DavisBear
We added RB Justin Williams-Thomas from Tennessee. Former 4 star guy
grrrrah
Where did you see this? Internet shows him having committed to Furd.
DavisBear
Just hit Twitter, yes former Stanford commit
CAL4LIFE

http://www.hudl.com/v/2GQK4s
oskidunker
CAL4LIFE said:

Praise the Lord and Pass the ammunition !
Go Bears!
89Bear
oskidunker said:

CAL4LIFE said:

This running back room is insane!!!
bluehenbear
89Bear said:

oskidunker said:

CAL4LIFE said:

And the OL room is...< crickets >
Alkiadt
bluehenbear said:

89Bear said:

oskidunker said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Relax.
BadNewsBear1
Alkiadt said:

bluehenbear said:

89Bear said:

oskidunker said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Relax.
Yeah--how could anyone worry about the OL at this point?
Alkiadt
BadNewsBear1 said:

Alkiadt said:

bluehenbear said:

89Bear said:

oskidunker said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Relax.

I'm not.
The portal transfer time frame will go on until after spring ball.
Hand wringing is a waste of energy. And securing another highly regarded running back tells me that he knows more about the oline potential than anyone on this site. It's a long off season.
It's pretty obvious that the Defensive Backfield, Running Back and Tight End positions have now been upgraded to what this coaching staff wants. The wheels are turning in spite of the naysayers.
Big C
Alkiadt said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

Alkiadt said:

bluehenbear said:

89Bear said:

oskidunker said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Relax.

I'm not.
The portal transfer time frame will go on until after spring ball.
Hand wringing is a waste of energy. And securing another highly regarded running back tells me that he knows more about the oline potential than anyone on this site. It's a long off season.
It's pretty obvious that the Defensive Backfield, Running Back and Tight End positions have now been upgraded to what this coaching staff wants. The wheels are turning in spite of the naysayers.

The thing about hand ringing: It keeps my hands busy, so I don't tear my hair out.
Bobodeluxe
People are saying that hairy palms prevent Covid-19.
tequila4kapp
Man, it is exciting how improved the RB room appears to be. Now for some QBs and OL
calumnus
Cal now #27 in (inbound) 247 Transfer Portal ranking
KoreAmBear
Welcome!

Rushinbear
calumnus said:

At some point, the current players are looking at what happens to the ones who jumped ship and wondering if the grass really is greener. I suspect that's going on all over the country. Millner to NAU spoke volumes.
tequila4kapp
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

At some point, the current players are looking at what happens to the ones who jumped ship and wondering if the grass really is greener. I suspect that's going on all over the country. Millner to NAU spoke volumes.
The list of schools includes NAU, Fresno State, Hawaii, Louisville, Nevada, Kansas, ASU and UCLA.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

Link? When ingo there i dont seeCal that high.
Go Bears!
6956bear
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

Link? When ingo there i dont seeCal that high.
247 has the Bears at 31 and on3 has them at 30. The staff has done a good job adding useful players so far in the portal. But IMO these additions while good only move the needle so much. The program must add at least 1 QB (2 would be better) that can play and 2 OL (3 would be better 2 OT and 1 OG/C) that can play. Those positions along with a pass rusher are my critical pieces that remain for this portal cycle.

The window opens again in May and more will enter and there will likely be a few good players that do not commit during this first window.

tequila4kapp
If we land those positions the ratings will take care of themselves. But more importantly, if we nail those positions the team will really be well positioned for success, regardless of what the ratings say.
bearister
The preferred other end of the portal destinations:

Axios Visuals
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
Just to add this to this thread. Welcome Sam!

WalterSobchak
247 says Henry Ikahihifo to portal but he hasn't tweeted anything yet.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
oski003
WalterSobchak said:

247 says Henry Ikahihifo to portal but he hasn't tweeted anything yet.

3 Star JUCO that just got here... Odd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.