Transfer portal tally (updated list for Cal players leaving and those coming to Cal)

51,278 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure if this is organized anywhere, so I thought I would start this thread to keep track of those leaving and when the signing period happens, coming to Cal. Current portal window ends January 18, 2023.

Leaving (23):
  • Ben Coleman - grad transfer
  • Dario Longhetto - grad transfer
  • Damien Moore
  • Slater Zellers - grad transfer
  • Orin Patu - grad transfer
  • DeCarlos Brooks - grad transfer
  • Oluwafemi Oladejo
  • Chris Street
  • Champ Johnson
  • Trey Paster -- grad transfer
  • Keleki Latu
  • Patrick Hisatake
  • Nick Alftin -- grad transfer
  • Jack Plummer - grad transfer
  • Kai Millner
  • Spencer Lovell
  • Ashton Hayes
  • J. Michael Sturdivant
  • Jermaine Terry
  • Henry Ikahihifo
  • Ryan Puskas - grad transfer
  • Kyle Smith - grad transfer
  • Zach Johnson - grad transfer

Coming to Cal (11):

• Kaylin Moore DB from CU (will be a junior)
  • Nohl Williams DB from UNLV (will be a RS junior)
  • Sergio Allen ILB from Clemson (will be a junior)
  • Byron Cardwell RB from Oregon (will be a redshirt sophomore)
  • Lachlan Wilson P from Tulsa (will be a RS senior but I believe 2 years to play)
  • JT Byrne TE from Oregon State (will be a RS soph)
  • Asher Alberding TE from North Texas (has 2 years of eligibility)
  • Justin Williams-Thomas RB from Tennessee (has 4 years of eligibility)
  • Brian Hightower WR from Illinois (RS senior - I believe 1 year left)
  • Sam Jackson QB from TCU (would be a junior or RS soph - may have 2 or 3 years left)
  • David Reese OLB from FL (2 years of eligibility)

Please note in this thread anyone else I am missing. There are going to be a lot of edits lol. I just hope we keep our base playmakers on both sides and build from there with our new OC.
heartofthebear
nm
KoreAmBear
heartofthebear said:

If that is all we are losing I'm okay with that, although Coleman will be hard to replace.

It's just the beginning of transfer portal season (sorry to see DeCarlos go):

Big C
heartofthebear said:

If that is all we are losing I'm okay with that, although Coleman will be hard to replace.

Dude, expect a THIRD of the roster from just about every team to go into the portal (or, at the very least, they are considering it as we speak). Some of them will just try it on for size, then come back. Some of them will be surprised when there isn't that much interest and their original team doesn't want them back. Some will leave and be significant losses.

The question's gonna be: At the end of the day, did we end up getting more than we lost?
Gobears49
Big C said:

heartofthebear said:

Dude, expect a THIRD of the roster from just about every team to go into the portal (or, at the very least, they are considering it as we speak). Some of them will just try it on for size, then come back. Some of them will be surprised when there isn't that much interest and their original team doesn't want them back. Some will leave and be significant losses.

The question's gonna be: At the end of the day, did we end up getting more than we lost?
Very occasionally it would be great if someone could post the same stats for every other team in the conference. Tx.
heartofthebear
Big C said:

heartofthebear said:

Understood, I was just saying, so far I'm not alarmed. I am bracing for the worst and losing DeCarlos hurts.
Strykur
heartofthebear said:

Big C said:

heartofthebear said:

Understood, I was just saying, so far I'm not alarmed. I am bracing for the worst and losing DeCarlos hurts.
Huge loss but anybody who graduates gets a pass.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

heartofthebear said:

The NIL differential is going to be more and more of a problem, but I think it is going to take a few years before other teams are organized enough around it that this is where the pain is felt. I'm sure it is already hitting recruiting but you can't miss what you didn't have. I think on the transfer portal, Cal should be able to pool its money and strategically place in on the pieces it needs to defend against poaching because honestly it isn't that many. Big resources are not going to be coming after our mid to lower tier players the way we are currently situated.

Problem is it kind of puts a ceiling on your chances for success. Not having prospects that big money programs want to throw resources at is one way to defend your roster, but probably not the best way.
FrankBear21
Thanks for the information. Can I ask what or who your source is ?
oskidunker
Did Longhetto graduate?
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
FrankBear21 said:

Thanks for the information. Can I ask what or who your source is ?
Twitter lol.

Oski87
Does anyone here know what our NIL collective has and what the competition has? Are we are $300,000 per year, 2 million per year, $10 million per year? What is our competition at? Has there been any actual information about any of this that is accurate and published? Or are we all just guessing that we are underfunded compared to our competiton?
KoreAmBear
Next up another big loss:

CalGrad95
This hurts
KoreAmBear
Chris Street into the portal.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortal/

We need to keep Ott and Hayes or we running out of RBs.
Nofado
Oladejo to UCLA
NVBear78
Nofado said:

Oladejo to UCLA

How could that happen so fast and to UCLA with same academics as us???
oski003
On the plus side, when ncaa24 finally comes out on Xbox, it will be actually challenging to win a national championship with Cal. It was too easy when I was playing it in 2014.

I had this roster: https://calbears.com/sports/football/roster/2014
oski003
NVBear78 said:

Nofado said:

Oladejo to UCLA

The academic part is easy. UC to UC.
oski003
More than 500 players entered the transfer portal today.
tequila4kapp
KoreAmBear said:

I'm not sure if this is organized anywhere, so I thought I would start this thread to keep track of those leaving and when the signing period happens, coming to Cal.

Leaving:
  • Ben Coleman - grad
  • Dario Longhetto - grad
  • Damien Moore - grad
  • Slater Zellers - grad
  • Orin Patu - grad
  • DeCarlos Brooks - grad
  • Oluwafemi Oladejo

Coming to Cal:

• [not sure when programs can begin signing]

Please note in this thread anyone else I am missing. There are going to be a lot of edits lol. I just hope we keep our base playmakers on both sides and build from there with our new OC.
+ Chris Street
Rushinbear
NVBear78 said:

Nofado said:

Oladejo to UCLA

Legal poaching? Promise of ILB position (Sirmon returning)? Personal matter? Who knows?
bearsandgiants
Nice of our marketing team to help players put together beautiful branded social media content and imagery on their way out.
KoreAmBear
tequila4kapp said:

KoreAmBear said:

I'm not sure if this is organized anywhere, so I thought I would start this thread to keep track of those leaving and when the signing period happens, coming to Cal.

Leaving:
  • Ben Coleman - grad
  • Dario Longhetto - grad
  • Damien Moore - grad
  • Slater Zellers - grad
  • Orin Patu - grad
  • DeCarlos Brooks - grad
  • Oluwafemi Oladejo

Coming to Cal:

• [not sure when programs can begin signing]

+ Chris Street
Updated
DavisBear
Add Champ Johnson FB to the list. Per his Twitter
KoreAmBear
DavisBear said:

Add Champ Johnson FB to the list. Per his Twitter
Thank you.

HoopDreams
I don't know anything about Champion Johnson (cool name), but did we ever use a FB this season?

If so, did we ever give them a carry or throw a pass to them?
KoreAmBear
HoopDreams said:

I don't know anything about Champing Johnson (cool name), but did we ever use a FB this season?

If so, did we ever give them a carry or throw a pass to them?
I hope that wasn't some random guy Tweeting that he was transferring like Kevin Hart choosing us over Oregon.

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=kevinhart

By the way, Champ Johnson may very well be a fine player, and I would have loved to have seen a fullback in our offense.
upsetof86
KoreAmBear said:

Sad. Moore and Street both came in same class. Gone.
KoreAmBear
upsetof86 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Sad. Moore and Street both came in same class. Gone.
*EDIT - I was mixing up DeCarlos Brooks with Chris Street. Chris did not Tweet that he was a grad transfer. In fact, I don't see a Tweet of him entering the portal at all. He's entry into the portal is reflected in the 24-7 portal list.

According to his Tweet, Street is a grad transfer whereas Moore is not. Street really worked hard to get his degree quickly. Good for him.
DavisBear
Add LB Trey Paster to the list.
KoreAmBear
DavisBear said:

No. Ugh.
bearsandgiants
DavisBear said:

Good thing Wilcox has 50 linebackers!
KoreAmBear
WalterSobchak
bearsandgiants said:

DavisBear said:

Good thing Wilcox has 50 linebackers!
The wrong ones are leaving.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.