Transfer portal tally (updated list for Cal players leaving and those coming to Cal)

51,253 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bobodeluxe
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

FWIW, in his presser yesterday, Wilcox said there would be 20 to 25 new players between the new high school class, which currently is around 10 guys, but could get larger. That leaves 10 to 15 new Portal players, less any new high schoolers. The bottom line is the recruiting season has barely started. Cal already has Cardwell, Moore, LIttejohn (JC), Williams. and Allen, so there could be 5 to 10 more players coming Most I assume offense. Wilcox said there also are few more unannounced guys leaving, primarily grad Portal transfers. In looking what is going on with a lot of teams, this is now part of the roster rebuild process in conjunction with high school recruiting. It is a new age.
Can a hs'er who has signed an LOI enter the Portal before enrolling in that school? Immediately after?

As long as we're talking new rules, let's explore the limits, if there are any.
bluehenbear
look at what other teams were able to pull in at QB this past year:

AZ - deLaura
USC - caleb
Ore - Nix
UW - Penix
WSU - Ward
Cal - Plummer

One of these is not like the other. Doubt we pull in someone better than the first 5.

Can OL coaching and better schemes for skill players offset lack of talent at QB?
WalterSobchak
Damn I know de Laura is bad but calling him out like this is pretty harsh dontcha think?
bluehenbear
touche
KoreAmBear
bluehenbear said:

AZ - deLaura
USC - caleb
Ore - Nix
UW - Penix
WSU - Ward
Cal - Plummer

One of these is not like the other. Doubt we pull in someone better than the first 5.

Can OL coaching and better schemes for skill players offset lack of talent at QB?
Michael Penix Jr. was arguably the best QB in the Pac-12 and he came from a 2-10 Indiana team. Cameron Ward came from an FCS school. Talent is talent. I trust Spav to know the guy he needs to run his offense. He identified Davis Webb right away when he came to Cal the first time and it worked out well.
PaulCali
Question: Does a player who enters the transfer portal automatically surrender his scholarship at the school from which he wishes to depart? Or does he retain that scholarship until he accepts one from another school? Anyone know how that works?
oski003
PaulCali said:

Question: Does a player who enters the transfer portal automatically surrender his scholarship at the school from which he wishes to depart? Or does he retain that scholarship until he accepts one from another school? Anyone know how that works?

Surrenders, but it can be reoffered.
GoOskie
GoCal80 said:

Kai Milner

Damnit
HearstMining
KoreAmBear said:

bluehenbear said:

AZ - deLaura
USC - caleb
Ore - Nix
UW - Penix
WSU - Ward
Cal - Plummer

Michael Penix Jr. was arguably the best QB in the Pac-12 and he came from a 2-10 Indiana team. Cameron Ward came from an FCS school. Talent is talent. I trust Spav to know the guy he needs to run his offense. He identified Davis Webb right away when he came to Cal the first time and it worked out well.
Unfortunately, knowing the guy and getting the guy are two different things, so I hope Spav has his ducks lined up. I liked Plummer - he isn't the second coming of Aaron Rogers, but I thought he did have common traits with Davis Webb and so could work well in Spav's offense. I'm also bummed about Millner going into the portal - the glimpse we got of his play was tantalizing. That being said, if Spav can bring in somebody better than either, that's the name of the game these days.
Bobodeluxe
Laundry is easily tailored.
GoCal80
Interesting that the Michigan athletic director wrote to the UM fan base to promote their NIL collectives. Has Jim Knowlton done that?

https://mgoblue.com/news/2022/12/23/general-nil-update-from-warde-manuel-on-collectives.aspx
Econ141
GoCal80 said:

Interesting that the Michigan athletic director wrote to the UM fan base to promote their NIL collectives. Has Jim Knowlton done that?

https://mgoblue.com/news/2022/12/23/general-nil-update-from-warde-manuel-on-collectives.aspx

Jim hasn't done jack squat. We should change the AD position name to simply Idiot-in-Charge.
ferCALgm2
GoCal80 said:

Add in the Beavs and UCLA also that did this...
Econ141
Has any relationship/connection even been established between the AD and CALegends? I'd be surprised if he even knew it existed. If he does he's probably sent out a note requesting support for Olympic sports only.
Alkiadt
Econ141 said:

Has any relationship/connection even been established between the AD and CALegends? I'd be surprised if he even knew it existed. If he does he's probably sent out a note requesting support for Olympic sports only.

That specific football only fund was vetted and approved by the chancellor. Albeit, not as fast as desired…..
But donations to that fund are only available to Wilcox. So yes, the whole department is very aware of it.
KoreAmBear
Just updating:

Let me know if there are any not on the list at the beginning of the thread.
KenBurnski
KoreAmBear
KenBurnski said:

Arrgh. Did he at least graduate?
bipolarbear
KenBurnski said:

Good bye Crazy Eyes.
Econ141
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the the #1 goal for the off season was to rebuild our o-line not decimate it?

Are there promising redshirt freshman who will play next year (is Trent Ramsey still around) because I'm starting to think we are incapable of recruiting this position for 2023.

Also - read that avg number of portal entrants for P5 is 10.4.
DR_520
Would like to see what J.Brown can do. Never really given a shot only got a hand full of snaps but looks promising. They better be working on something for February because Oline just keeps getting thinner and thinner.
TypiCal
We are getting the crumbs..
Rushinbear
DR_520 said:

Would like to see what J.Brown can do. Never really given a shot only got a hand full of snaps but looks promising. They better be working on something for February because Oline just keeps getting thinner and thinner.
I wonder if Spav's O requires OLs with different strengths than what Musgrave's did. Does he look at the current OL room and see guys he can use better than the qualities that Bill wanted? Trying to figure out why the lack of progress on that front (yeah, don't waste our time with cries of bad coaches. we already know that you think that.).
oskidunker
Go Bears!
Oski87
Econ141 said:

Did you see the ads at the football games?
KoreAmBear
Thanks for the link @eastcoastcal

golden sloth
KoreAmBear said:

I know Jaydn Ott is the lead back but the amount of attrition we have had behind him is getting ridiculous and makes me question Aristotle Thompson.

Would we be better off replacing him with Ron Gould?
KoreAmBear
golden sloth said:

KoreAmBear said:

I know Jaydn Ott is the lead back but the amount of attrition we have had behind him is getting ridiculous and makes me question Aristotle Thompson.

I wonder what the mood of our coaches is. Is it one of quiet confidence that we will land several guys in the portal after bowl games are over or controlled panic? I still have yet to see Spav interviewed or have a presser upon his return to Berkeley. I would love to hear his thoughts and outlook.
oski003
golden sloth said:

KoreAmBear said:

He probably didn't like that we recruited a portal transfer that likely slid above him in the depth chart.
wifeisafurd
Surprised. I would have thought he would see increased playing time under Spav's offense. With huge roster changes, guys are going to have to get used to portal transfers coming in. Hayes is asking another coach to do exactly what he is upset by.
golden sloth
wifeisafurd said:

Surprised. I would have thought he would see increased playing time under Spav's offense. With huge roster changes, guys are going to have to get used to portal transfers coming in. Hayes is asking another coach to do exactly what he is upset by.

It wouldn't surprise me if his parents got in his ear as well. I remember his Mom angrily posting on writeforcalifornia after one of the early losses. She seemed delusional and detrimental to her son's future.
heartofthebear
So far 4 RB (including a former starter and a key back-up) net loss 2, 2 QB (1 & 2 on depth chart) net loss 1 (assuming Rodgers rumors are true), 2 OL (including our best OL and LT) net loss 2, TE (part time starter) --net loss 0 --have entered the portal.

Spav. has his work cut out for him. It may take him until 2024 to start really putting together the roster he wants.

This is why I have argued against recklessly turning over staff. But this needed to happen so we all should recognize it for what it is...the typical upheaval when there is staff turnover. Usually influx lags behind exodus in these cases so we need to temper our expectations for anything soon.

I am really not too concerned about the RB room.
With Ott and Cardwell taking the majority of the snaps, there will be backups in Stredick and the true frosh Thomas.
However I am concerned about QB and OL.
Big C
golden sloth said:

KoreAmBear said:

No. Let's be future-focused. Okay, we're now a little thin (and small) at RB, but we picked up Cardwell, a major coup.
calumnus
Big C said:

golden sloth said:

KoreAmBear said:

No. Let's be future-focused. Okay, we're now a little thin (and small) at RB, but we picked up Cardwell, a major coup.

I like our 2023 RB roster better than any of the past 6 years under Wilcox, including 2017.
KoreAmBear
J Mike into the portal. Man that's very disappointing a few weeks into the portal season.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.