Atlantic Coast Conference ready to merge with The Pac4

59,303 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Klindergoff
aws56
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoCal80 said:

I don't think people are thinking through what this travel means. Lots of disruption is happening and it is likely to get much worse as climate change makes the weather more chaotic.

From today's accuweather site:

" More than 1,500 flights within, into or out of the United States were canceled on Monday, and more than 7,400 arriving and departing flights in the U.S. were delayed as severe weather erupted across the East on Monday"

Of all the issues that currently are swirling around this athletic program this is what we want to worry about? Let's not nuke the whole program first. Then we can figure out mitigation tactics for above.
GoCal80
Whatever you believe is the cause of travel disruption, the more teams travel to faraway places, the more hellish travel experiences they are going to have. This means more time away from classwork, less rest, jetlag, etc. I'm not thinking about football, but tennis, gymnastics, field hockey, baseball....
Cal88
GoCal80 said:

Whatever you believe is the cause of travel disruption, the more teams travel to faraway places, the more hellish travel experiences they are going to have. This means more time away from classwork, less rest, jetlag, etc. I'm not thinking about football, but tennis, gymnastics, field hockey, baseball....

Once again consider the alternative here, which would be the cancellation of many of these programs. we have to roll with the punches and grab the best alternative left for us.
edwinbear
GoCal80 said:

I agree with your concerns about the logistics/travel,...but I also believe that it's better to survive first and THEN find out if we were right (in which case it would also affect UCLA/USC/OU/UW similarly as well) than to just ASSUME we are right because "we know better" and then end up dying on the moral high ground. Once you're dead, you're dead.

Double pain if UCLA/USC/OU/UW *do* end up finding some way to make it work and we were wrong about our shortsighted righteousness in the first place. At that point maybe we still cling to the notion that our death was an honorable one, principled to the very end, but to everyone else on the outside looking in, we just look like bumbling idiots.

At least, as long as we survive, we can eventually recover and right the ship. If we discover that we ARE right about the travel/logistical issues, it will also be bad for UCLA/USC/OU/UW and that maintains the possibility of the six/eight compadres coming back together for some western pod in the future and just say "oops!" but at least we are still there.
GivemTheAxe
Michiganmoon said:

juarezbear said:

nikeykid said:

Would be an amazing FY to the B1G if Cal, Furd, and ND joined the ACC.

I think if the BigTen wanted Cal and Stanford they would have already offered and I think they'd accept quickly if offered.

I wonder if the ACC is trying to be proactive with FSU and Clemson threatening to leave.

A 4 team pod out west could work in the ACC.

The Big10 has no reason to hurry in adding Cal and Stanford since at present we have no other realistic alternative
The ACC talk may be there only as a Cal bargaining chip to motivate Big10 to pull the trigger on taking Cal and
Furd.
I am just guessing and giving the Cal AD more credit for negotiating smarts than he has shown so far.
CarmelBear
Sorry. UW is not a better academic school than USC. That was the case last decade. No longer.
SoFlaBear
GoCal80 said:

Am I missing something or doesn't the vast distance separating Cal and Stanford from the current ACC schools make this notion ludicrous?

So Piscataway NJ, State College PA, and College Park, MD are OK??
SoFlaBear
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

sycasey said:

GoCal80 said:

Am I missing something or doesn't the vast distance separating Cal and Stanford from the current ACC schools make this notion ludicrous?

No more ludicrous than two schools in Los Angeles joining the Big Ten.

And if the agreement is the non-revenue sports can join the Big West, even less ludicrous.

Football would involve 4 road trips to the East Cosst each year. The smart move for everyone would be to play any Stanford or Cal game on the East Coast late on Saturday early in the season, both for logistical reasons and for West Coast television.

Basketball in the ACC is a logistical problem but a huge opportunity. Great basketball league. Maybe we go to a Friday night, Saturday night schedule? Maybe we compete in the Big West (great shot at the auto bid) with a lot of OOC games against our new ACC rivals?
It's very possible that any ACC offer would be for football-only, maybe for a $20 million/year lifeline, and that it would require Cal and Stanford to join the Big West or another western conference for all other sports.

There are a lot of moving parts. The administration better be working on creating multiple options.

I want Football and Basketball.
Alkiadt
Cal88 said:

GoCal80 said:

Once again consider the alternative here, which would be the cancellation of many of these programs. we have to roll with the punches and grab the best alternative left for us.

IIRC Cal's Field hockey team is one of only 3 teams west of the Mississippi that fields a team.
They travel a ton already and nobody has complained.
And they basically play in front of parents and friends. It's like going to your son's little league game.
A complete waste of money IMO. But that's just me.
StillNoStanfurdium
CarmelBear said:

Sorry. UW is not a better academic school than USC. That was the case last decade. No longer.
By the Times Higher Education ranking UW is #26 compared to USC at #65. Are you going by the US News ranking?
StillNoStanfurdium
SoFlaBear said:

GoCal80 said:

I mean there's a difference between every school (except Furd) being on ET in the ACC vs. the B1G scenario as it stands now where you'd also have Oregon, UW, UCLA, and USC in your timezone to split some games with.
Cal88
SoFlaBear said:

GoCal80 said:

Keep in mind that unlike in the Pac, the ACC only has an 8 game conference schedule, so given that we would get Furd every season, we would only have 3.5 road trips east for away games per season on average. As well the ACC venues have better (milder) weather than the B1Gs. Most of the ACC venues are easily accessible, close to major airports, with a few exceptions like Clemson

Furd already has an in with the ACC by being tied with Notre Dame, which is kind of halfway in the ACC, they play 5 ACC teams every season IIRC. If the ACC takes them, we would probably tag along.
SoFlaBear
My opinion only.

If we never play the SoCal schools again, it'd be too soon. CeeLo Green wrote a popular song describing just how I feel about them.

Yes. Too much travel. Especially for non-revenue sports. But the football would be competitive and we'd get our asses kicked in basketball, but my God it would be amazing to watch.

If we aren't going to play in the region, then let's play academic peers -- which Duke, North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Boston College certainly are.

My infinite preference would be that if we have an ACC merger, we bring WSU and OSU along for the ride for just the reason you state.
Cal88
This would be a typical ACC schedule slate, conference games in bold:

Sac. St.
@Oregon St.
Syracuse
Washington St.
@UCLA
@Louisville
Duke
@Georgia Tech
@Boston College
Pitt
@UNC
Furd
ferCALgm2
Cal88 said:

Sac. St.
@Oregon St.
Syracuse
Washington St.
@UCLA
@Louisville
Duke
@Georgia Tech
@Boston College
Pitt
@UNC
Furd

The heck we're playing UCLA if not in the same conference.
Cal Football. It just means more.
DoubtfulBear
SoFlaBear said:

GoCal80 said:

As someone that moved to NYC, I would love nothing more than attending the annual Cal Rutgers game
KoreAmBear
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Lesssss gooooo.
Cal88
DoubtfulBear said:

SoFlaBear said:

GoCal80 said:

As someone that moved to NYC, I would love nothing more than attending the annual Cal Rutgers game

You would drive or take the train to Boston, Syracuse or take a short flight to Raleigh-Durham...
sycasey
ferCALgm2 said:

Cal88 said:

Sac. St.
@Oregon St.
Syracuse
Washington St.
@UCLA
@Louisville
Duke
@Georgia Tech
@Boston College
Pitt
@UNC
Furd

The heck we're playing UCLA if not in the same conference.

Seems to be assuming the former P12 schools would schedule each other in non-conference play.
dimitrig
nikeykid said:

we will be linked to every conference like celebrities in the back page of the tabloids until our new home is found

Cal be like :

DoubtfulBear
Cal88 said:

DoubtfulBear said:

SoFlaBear said:

GoCal80 said:

You would drive or take the train to Boston, Syracuse or take a short flight to Raleigh-Durham...
All those options are substantially longer than the 40min drive to Piscataway
dimitrig
YuSeeBerkeley said:

If Stanford and Cal get the ACC invite, with their inclusion, doesn't the ACC's academic profile surpass the B1G? Stanford, Cal, Duke, Virginia, and UNC vs. Northwestern, UCLA, Michigan, and USC.

Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue are all very good schools as well

CreditBear
Plus, field hockey wastes thousands of gallons of water per game which is simply crazy in (often) drought stricken Northern California.
golden sloth
Cal88 said:

Sac. St.
@Oregon St.
Syracuse
Washington St.
@UCLA
@Louisville
Duke
@Georgia Tech
@Boston College
Pitt
@UNC
Furd
Working from the standpoint that this is a hypothetical, and assuming that all the majpr conferences are going to be a mega-conference spanning multiple time zones, I would petition for the following:

1. Allow all teams to play Week Zero, thus adding an additional BYE during the season, and hopefully coordinate that bye to be either before or after a long away trip.
2. Similar to what the SEC does, have Conference play start earlier in Week 2 or 3 and have the final game of the season be reserved for a local rival that is in a different conference (think Florida / Florida State, Georgia / Georgia Tech, South Carolina / Clemson, only Cal would play a former Pac-12 school).
3. If all of Cal, Stanford, Washington State and Oregon State join the ACC, reserve the final few conference games for the local rivalries, thus limiting travel in November when school is more intense and weather potentially more severe. This would revise the schedule to be as follows:

Week 0: Sac. St.
Week 1: @OOC P5 School
Week 2: Mountain West School
Week 3: Bye
Week 4: @Boston College
Week 5: Syracuse
Week 6: @Louisville
Week 7: Duke
Week 8: Bye
Week 9: @Georgia Tech
Week 10: Washington State
Week 11: @Oregon State
Week 12: Furd
Week 13: @UCLA
Big C
GoCal80 said:

" ... time away from classwork ..."?!?

We are soooo past worrying about things like that. Do you want to compete nationally at football, or not? Because the things we used to worry about, scheduling dates, kickoff times, game day experience, academic standards ... we abandoned all of that crap when the schools in our former conference started selling their souls to the devil.

We want an athlete now, we give him/her some NIL, we enroll them in a certificate program and we tell them we are sincerely trying to weed out the coaches that might yell at them and denigrate them.
dimitrig
Big C said:

GoCal80 said:

We are soooo past worrying about things like that. Do you want to compete at football, or not? Because the things we used to worry about, scheduling dates, kickoff times, game day experience, academic standards ... we abandoned all of that crap when the schools in our former conference started selling their souls to the devil.

If that is what competing in football is then no.

Gunga la Gunga
Ucla can go take a flying ****. No thanks to them ever being on the schedule again.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

GoCal80 said:

We are soooo past worrying about things like that. Do you want to compete nationally at football, or not? Because the things we used to worry about, scheduling dates, kickoff times, game day experience, academic standards ... we abandoned all of that crap when the schools in our former conference started selling their souls to the devil.

We want an athlete now, we give him/her some NIL, we enroll them in a certificate program and we tell them we are sincerely trying to weed out the coaches that might yell at them and denigrate them.
First of all a lot of class time can be done online these days. While student-athletes are on the road, they treat it like business trips with lots of study hall. Maybe even more focused than what they would be doing in Berkeley. Second, have people considered that some student-athletes actually like to travel to see different cities and college towns? I'd rather be in the ACC and go on cross country trips than be in the MWC with Nevada (my apologies, Reno looks like a fun town).
sonofabear51
Agreed. F those guys
Start Slowly and taper off
golden sloth
Gunga la Gunga said:

Ucla can go take a flying ****. No thanks to them ever being on the schedule again.

I get that sentiment, but it would probably be best to schedule an annual game against Ucla, just for the LA recruiting bonus. Never playing in LA again is bad for recruiting, which is bad for Cal football.

I'm cool with never playing SC again.
dimitrig
golden sloth said:

Gunga la Gunga said:

I get that sentiment, but it would probably be best to schedule an annual game against Ucla, just for the LA recruiting bonus. Never playing in LA again is bad for recruiting, which is bad for Cal football.

I'm cool with never playing SC again.

USC would miss the easy W but I guess that is what Rutgers is for.

berserkeley
Bearly Clad said:

This guys been right about a lot of expansion news so far so maybe this is a real possibility. At this point Idk anything for sure anymore

I don't think this guy has been that right as we all initially thought. We all relied on his posts about what was in that AppleTV deal. He was wrong. Very very wrong. The deal was 23M (later bumped up to 25) not 20M. And the subscriber incentives were far better than the $1 per subscriber he suggested. At 1.7M subscribers, the AppleTV deal was worth 31.7M per team. This guy suggested that only UO/UW would get that kind of money, but in fact every single team was going to get that kind of money. At 5M subscribers, every Pac-12 team would have earned $50M. So, no, this guy was not even close to reliable.
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
HateRed
If you know a vote was taken but no decision was made, surely you have more information than that from your source(s).
sycasey
Thamel has been pretty clear that these are early, preliminary discussions. They wouldn't be voting yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.