Atlantic Coast Conference ready to merge with The Pac4

59,332 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Klindergoff
calbear93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SoFlaBear said:

Cal88 said:

The president of Notre Dame, Fr. John Jenkins, is a GTU grad, class of 88. I have crossed path with him a few times on Euclid as I lived as an undergrad on Northside 2 blocks from the GTU campus.
Quote:

Early life and career

Jenkins was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, and attended Creighton Preparatory School. In high school, he was captain of the swim team and prom king.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I._Jenkins#cite_note-Dame-3][3][/url] Jenkins earned bachelor's and master's degrees in philosophy from the University of Notre Dame in 1976 and 1978, respectively, and was ordained a priest of the Congregation of Holy Cross in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on campus in 1983. While earning master's and doctoral degrees in philosophy from Oxford University in 1987 and 1989, respectively, he also taught in Notre Dame's London Undergraduate Program. He earned a master of divinity degree and licentiate in sacred theology from the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley in 1988.

Jack Swarbrick, ND's athletic director is a Furd law school grad. Also, this:
Quote:

Swarbrick is married to Kimberly, and they have four children: Kate, Connor, Cal, and Christopher.

There's your ND Cal/Furd connection!

Wow!! Great information!!
This whole alignment is messing with my mind.

I find myself rooting for ND, not caring about USC and UCLA, and imagining rivalries with Duke, Miami, Florida State, Louisville (?), and North Carolina and considering Stanford as a blood brother (actually, have a blood brother who went to Stanford).

What the hell?
calumnus
golden sloth said:

berserkeley said:

nikeykid said:

an unexpected friend in Notre Dame!

I wouldn't say unexpected. Yesterday I posted that Notre Dame would push for expansion because they need the Stanford game to be a P5 matchup. ND gets hurt if Stanford drops to Independent or MWC status.

I wonder if Notre Dame would be willing to upgrade their deal with the ACC from 5 games a year to 6 with the 6th being Stanford. Getting an extra Notre dame game every other year (because the ACC would only have rights to Stanford's home games), would definitely increase the value of the TV contract.

Uh, they play Stanford next year already, we need Cal in on that deal, maybe replace NIU, then going forward they could have an annual trip to the Bay.
golden sloth
calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

berserkeley said:

nikeykid said:

I wouldn't say unexpected. Yesterday I posted that Notre Dame would push for expansion because they need the Stanford game to be a P5 matchup. ND gets hurt if Stanford drops to Independent or MWC status.

I wonder if Notre Dame would be willing to upgrade their deal with the ACC from 5 games a year to 6 with the 6th being Stanford. Getting an extra Notre dame game every other year (because the ACC would only have rights to Stanford's home games), would definitely increase the value of the TV contract.

Uh, they play Stanford next year already, we need Cal in on that deal, maybe replace NIU, then going forward they could have an annual trip to the Bay.

I know Stanford and Notre Dame play next year. Currently Notre Dame's has an annual game with stanford. Additionally, they have an average of 5 games with the ACC. If Stanford joins the ACC, they should amend the deal with the ACC to grandfather the stanford game.

And yes, I would love it if Cal replaced USC as Notre Dame's other California school. I would not hold my breath though.
calbear93
golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

berserkeley said:

nikeykid said:

I know Stanford and Notre Dame play next year. Currently Notre Dame's has an annual game with stanford. Additionally, they have an average of 5 games with the ACC. If Stanford joins the ACC, they should amend the deal with the ACC to grandfather the stanford game.

And yes, I would love it if Cal replaced USC as Notre Dame's other California school. I would not hold my breath though.

USC is ND's oldest rival. No one is replacing them. Same with Navy.
calumnus
golden sloth said:

calumnus said:

golden sloth said:

berserkeley said:

nikeykid said:

The series with Stanford currently is scheduled to end after next year. Assume that will continue, so we just need to get Cal on the rotation. We wouldn't replace USC though. We'd replace NIU or other similar schools.
StillNoStanfurdium
Latest news is that the ACC is not expanding and that things hit a roadblock today. Realignment is a roller coaster though so who knows what we'll hear tomorrow.
StillNoStanfurdium
Per:
bluehenbear
Clemson fsu and Miami obviously have ulterior motives.

So who's the fourth? UNC? Why does Mack Brown hate Cal?
Big Dog
Va Tech per the other thread (sry on the pay channel)
westcoast101
I suppose I understand Clemson/FSU opposition and perhaps Miami. These schools are all trying to get out of the conference and vying for the SEC. Can't quite understand why a Virginia Tech and/or UNC would oppose.
Cal Strong!
Bobodeluxe said:

Try Europe? Expand semiprofessional football to an area already targeted by the nfl. Think of the marketing possibilities.
Cal Strong know Bobodeluxe kidding. But he think it would be strong and awesome if a major West Coast research institution like UBC built a D-1 American College Football program.
sycasey
We'll see. They didn't close off the effort, which suggests that most of the conference is a yes but there are holdouts. ND may find a way around those if they really want it.
Bobodeluxe
Cal Strong! said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Try Europe? Expand semiprofessional football to an area already targeted by the nfl. Think of the marketing possibilities.
Cal Strong know Bobodeluxe kidding. But he think it would be strong and awesome if a major West Coast research institution like UBC built a D-1 American College Football program.
The International American Football Conference
berserkeley
westcoast101 said:

I suppose I understand Clemson/FSU opposition and perhaps Miami. These schools are all trying to get out of the conference and vying for the SEC. Can't quite understand why a Virginia Tech and/or UNC would oppose.

I can understand UNC opposing because they think they have their pick of B1G or SEC. But VaTech? They're a bubble team at best.
cal83dls79
Bobodeluxe said:

Cal Strong! said:

Bobodeluxe said:

The International American Football Conference
sounds like cal football isn't important or cal athletics. Wake up call, in survival mode here not to worry about climate change or travel budgets or snow. Got it?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
WoodlandBear
Perhaps I misunderstand your comment. You're worried about climate change? Can't help you there. On the travel issue, at first it troubled me but then I thought back to when I was playing for Cal in 1980 and we opened up against the University of Florida in Tampa (because school had not started yet in Gainesville), travelled to West Point, New York to play Army and then a couple of weeks later we played Michigan in Ann Arbor. As a player it was not a big deal. But then again, at that time Cal was on the quarter system so school did not even begin until after we had played five games.
cal83dls79
WoodlandBear said:

Perhaps I misunderstand your comment. You're worried about climate change? Can't help you there. On the travel issue, at first it troubled me but then I thought back to when I was playing for Cal in 1980 and we opened up against the University of Florida in Tampa (because school had not started yet in Gainesville), travelled to West Point, New York to play Army and then a couple of weeks later we played Michigan in Ann Arbor. As a player it was not a big deal. But then again, at that time Cal was on the quarter system so school did not even begin until after we had played five games.
not me, the 80 guy thought by moving to the ACC we would destroy planet earth. But yea, nice to hear a player's perspective. Many here speak to the student athletes interests in terms of travel etc
Make them ask the athletes. Would you rather travel to Duke or Davis? Boisie state?
dimitrig
cal83dls79 said:

WoodlandBear said:

not me, the 80 guy thought by moving to the ACC we would destroy planet earth. But yea, nice to hear a player's perspective. Many here speak to the student athletes interests in terms of travel etc
Make them ask the athletes. Would you rather travel to Duke or Davis? Boisie state?

It's not just about athlete desires or even dollars. It is very hard to win on the road. We saw this when we played an inferior Maryland team. Plus, some of those places are going to be hostile to California. Will we be dooming ourselves to a losing record just based on time zones and travel fatigue? It will certainly be novel to a lot of players and fans and definitely open up recruiting for us, especially in basketball.
WoodlandBear
Yes, it is hard to win on the road, rather than at UC-Davis or Boise, but that is why you do it and why it is so fun for a player, even though I recall keeping our helmets on on the sidelines at Sun Devil Stadium because the fans were throwing bottles at us. To play in the "Big House" at Michigan was neat, Bo Schembechler cursing us from the sidelines (we could hear him even in the huddle) as we lost a very tight game. And the following year when we played Georgia at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia "between the hedges." It was so cool. We led until the fourth quarter when Herschel Walker brought them back. I think we lost 14-28. And the Georgia fans were so gracious, cheering us as we left the field because they knew we had fought hard and could well have won. It is what makes college football so grand. And the travel was really not a problem. At all.
sycasey
Not sure if this guy knows anything, but for what it's worth . . .

If these are really the holdouts they seem flippable. But I'm also surprised if NC State and not UNC is a holdout.
calumnus
sycasey said:

Not sure if this guy knows anything, but for what it's worth . . .

If these are really the holdouts they seem flippable. But I'm also surprised if NC State and not UNC is a holdout.

Agreed. Maybe they just need side deals.
Vegas Bear
Guys, this imposter really doesn't know anything. He was banned from r/CFB because he is just spreading rumors he gathers from the web and passing them off as inside info.

He's just some West Virginia fan. Why would he possible have inside info that few else have about the Pac12/ACC?
BearHunter
Vegas Bear said:

Guys, this imposter really doesn't know anything. He was banned from r/CFB because he is just spreading rumors he gathers from the web and passing them off as inside info.

He's just some West Virginia fan. Why would he possible have inside info that few else have about the Pac12/ACC?

LOL. Trolls everywhere.
cal83dls79
dimitrig said:

cal83dls79 said:

WoodlandBear said:

It's not just about athlete desires or even dollars. It is very hard to win on the road. We saw this when we played an inferior Maryland team. Plus, some of those places are going to be hostile to California. Will we be dooming ourselves to a losing record just based on time zones and travel fatigue? It will certainly be novel to a lot of players and fans and definitely open up recruiting for us, especially in basketball.

it's hard winning at home. We won 2 basketball games last year.2! Ask Mad Dog what he'd prefer. He didn't come here to play against Davis or Bakersfield
nikeykid

not all hope is lost yet on the ACC front, talks continue today. ND still very much in our corner, of course they are trying to keep the ACC together so they can continue to be independent but we'll take the marriage of convenience!
6956bear
nikeykid said:

not all hope is lost yet on the ACC front, talks continue today. ND still very much in our corner, of course they are trying to keep the ACC together so they can continue to be independent but we'll take the marriage of convenience!
It seems to me that if Cal and Stanford want in to the ACC they will need to take a severe financial haircut. Possibly accept not having voting rights for a few years as well. Notre Dame wants their cake and eat it too. I get it. They value the independence their brand allows them to have.

Reality check. Cal is a MWC level athletics program in the revenue sports. Stanford not much better if any. Both are Ivy league academic schools. If Cal wants into a P4 conference they are going to have to accept really poor financial terms or perhaps even pay their way like SMU offered. Their is no appetite to add programs unless they add value. Value means revenue. TV revenue or increased shares.

The CFP is likley to reconvene next week to determine how the CFP berths are going to be determined with the loss of the P12. If you want to see ND squirm then make CFP selections come from conference affiliated programs only. They will join a league yesterday if that happens. Until then they are staying independent. Can't say I blame them much. Their pushing for Cal and Stanford was nice. The response from the ACC in so many words was well then join. Ain't happening.

Cal is facing relegation. What is Cal willing to do to avoid it? Cal needs an answer from ACC commissioner on what is the price Cal has to pay to get the votes. Same with the B1G. I doubt the B1G moves any unless the ACC suddenly gets an appetite to add Cal and Stanford.

The reality is that Cal has already been relegated. They my be able to continue if somehow the ACC or B1G throws them a lifeline. Barring that Cal will not be facing relegation. They more likely are facing extinction.
DoubtfulBear
6956bear said:

nikeykid said:

Reality check. Cal is a MWC level athletics program in the revenue sports. Stanford not much better if any. Both are Ivy league academic schools.
How about this for a reality check - we are absolutely not in the same tier as Stanford. By any record - conference champs, Rose Bowl wins, overall record, even Big Game record, Stanford is better than us. We've gotten lucky with a few good coaches and a few elite players over the years but we've haven't had consistent outperformance since the 50s
cal83dls79
DoubtfulBear said:

6956bear said:

nikeykid said:

Reality check. Cal is a MWC level athletics program in the revenue sports. Stanford not much better if any. Both are Ivy league academic schools.
How about this for a reality check - we are absolutely not in the same tier as Stanford. By any record - conference champs, Rose Bowl wins, overall record, even Big Game record, Stanford is better than us. We've gotten lucky with a few good coaches and a few elite players over the years but we've haven't had consistent outperformance since the 50s
yeah so let's throw in the towel. Absolute defeatism. As I've said, this dilemma has exposed true football fans and fans that want to see their athletes compete at the highest level vs those that have their kids play soccer and feel great about participation trophies.
6956bear
DoubtfulBear said:

6956bear said:

nikeykid said:

I actually agree. But in the current moment they are trying to stay tethered. Conferences want pairs. If ND ever decides to join a P4 conference Cal is royally screwed. That is why I believe Cal needs to find the price to join. Will the ACC take Stanford at 70% share but make Cal come in at 50%. Or less. Cal needs to find out the price. And determine if they can live with that.

Right now with ND staying independent Stanford has a need to stay tethered to Cal. But what if the ACC says ok Stanford we will take you and SMU. SMU has said they will come for free for 5 years. At some point Stanford may be willing to abandon Cal.

I am trying to be nice to my Bears. But yes the reality is they are below Stanford. That is what the overall record says, despite Stanfords recent decline.
cal83dls79
DoubtfulBear said:

6956bear said:

nikeykid said:

you are aptly named.
Do you know how many cal football players have played in the NFL? You don't and you have no clue as to why those kids came to cal. Not to play against Davis but to face SC, UCLA and Oregon. Not Bakersfield
CAL4LIFE
nikeykid said:

There you have it. ND isn't willing to do anything different to add value to the ACC. ND's interest in pushing for Cal and Stanford is more about feeling sorry for two revered academic institutions. Actually it's more about feeling sorry for Stanford. Cal, deservedly so, is just extra baggage.

cal83dls79
CAL4LIFE said:

nikeykid said:

There you have it. ND isn't willing to do anything different to add value to the ACC. ND's interest in pushing for Cal and Stanford is more about feeling sorry for two revered academic institutions. Actually it's more about feeling sorry for Stanford. Cal, deservedly so, is just extra baggage.

bad take
Bobodeluxe
DoubtfulBear said:

6956bear said:

nikeykid said:

Wait. You must be looking at facts. This is America, and I say that the UC Berkeley Bears win the Natty every year, and I will sue.
Bobodeluxe
cal83dls79 said:

DoubtfulBear said:

6956bear said:

nikeykid said:

yeah so let's throw in the towel. Absolute defeatism. As I've said, this dilemma has exposed true football fans and fans that want to see their athletes compete at the highest level vs those that have their kids play soccer and feel great about participation trophies.
"True football fans" didn't show up to help fund the Memorial rebuild in significant numbers, because there aren't significant numbers. Just do the math.
berserkeley
CAL4LIFE said:

nikeykid said:

LOL. No it isn't. ND's interest in pushing for Cal and Stanford is doing what's best to preserve ND's Independent status.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.