Addition of a Joe Starkey statue, a The Play video, next to the Kevin Moen statue.

7,952 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CalBarn
Gobears49
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please indicate whether you think it would be a good idea to add a Joe Starkey statue next to Memorial, to be placed next to the existing Kevin Moen statue, to honor Starkey and his famous call of The Play, which put Cal on the map as having the most famous play in college football history. See the following link showing Cal as having the most famous college football play in history. (Cal is number one in this category.

In addition to the statue, a video, showing the full video of The Play and Starkey's call of it, up through the ref's call that it resultedd in a touchdown (and thus there would be no extra point as the touchdown itself resulted in Cal having more points than Stanford).

I have written to AD Jim Knowlton that I would be willing to contribute $40,000 to help Cal to build a statue of Joe Starkey to be placed next to or very near to the existing statute of Kevin Moen. But I have not heard back from him on this issue. But perhaps he's not a supporter of my idea, as I have been somewhat critical of him recently.

BTW, I have no idea how costly it will be to fulfill my idea and how long it will take to do so.

I think the statue could have the following benefits

1. Would announce that Cal has the most famous colllege football play in history, perhaps being more famous than any pro football play, and likely will always be so. BTW, the video has to end right after Joe's statement that with "there will be no extra point" (as Cal's touchdown without any extra point was enough for Cal to win the game).
2. Become a tourist attraction, as Starkey is likely, in the long run, to be even more of a famous person than Kevin Moen, with regard to The Play, as Starkey's call of The Play was so good.
3. Cement Cal as being a major football tourist location for the public and everyone who loves Cal, to visit to see and hear the video to be held in the stadium overnight in a safe location, for safekeeping, before being brought out every day to be placed next to the Joe Starkey statue for public viewing purposes and to watch and hear the video next to it.
4. The statue would make it more likely that ESPN's College Gameday would designate Cal as a place they would visit on a Saturday provided Cal had a good enough football nrecord that season and before ESPN made a choice for future locations of College GameDay. I will be sure to let ESPN know about the new statue and the video have been created and installed outside of Memorial.

I'd would like to send a copy of this note to Chacellor Carol Crist before I try to speak to her about my idea, in the hopes that she might support it and thus it could be completed as soon as possible. Would love to hear from Cal fans if they like my idea and what changes they might make to it. Please note that it may take a couple of years, or even longer, to get this idea to come to fruition even after it has been approved. Thanks for your help and Go Bears!
bear2034
What a bonanza! Great idea!
Marty
I like the idea, and would be willing to contribute a donation. I live in Sonoma, and was a member of the committee that created a statue of General Mariano Vallejo, the city's founder, in the Sonoma Plaza. It has quickly become a talisman for the locals and visitors alike. And we have a world renowned sculptor right here in Sonoma, who did a magnificent job on the actual statue if you get far enough to actually consult a sculptor. I would budget at least $100,000, probably more, including all components and installation.
tpender
no way
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal_79
No
HoopDreams
maybe a nice plaque inside the Memorial concourse (with no video) instead of a statue outside
flounder
no, do not think it would be a good idea at all.

espn, the average college football fan, and most people at cal could not care less about joe starkey, let alone appreciate a statue of him. sounds like he huge waste of money
okaydo
It'd be cool to also build a statue of Marshawn Lynch riding the golf cart.

That would represent Cal's best season of the last 30 years.
socaliganbear
Nah
Gobears49
#1 college football play of all time. No. 2 is not even close -- Auburn returns a missed
Alabama field goal at the end of the game without even being touched by an Alabama player.

Forty eight seasons as the Cal football team radio announcer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Starkey

Named best play-by-play announcer in the state of California nine times, Joe was inducted into the Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame in 2009.

https://calbears.com/honors/california-athletics-hall-of-fame/joe-starkey/1322

HearstMining
No Starkey statue. I witnessed The Play. I saw the TV replay a jillion times. It was the greatest (or at least most unique) play in CFB history, but it was just a play in a game between two mediocre teams. Cal's continued glorification of The Play is an indication of how little the program has to celebrate, at least for the last 60 years.
DoubtfulBear
How about we spend the funds to buyout Knowlton's contract instead
AXLBear
No
prospeCt
~ nein , have you ever seen starkey, statues are over - plaque & aural recording on demand inside, peace, best Play ever

Cal88
Gobears49 said:

Please indicate whether you think it would be a good idea to add a Joe Starkey statue next to Memorial, to be placed next to the existing Kevin Moen statue, to honor Starkey and his famous call of The Play, which put Cal on the map as having the most famous play in college football history. See the following link showing Cal as having the most famous college football play in history. (Cal is number one in this category.

In addition to the statue, a video, showing the full video of The Play and Starkey's call of it, up through the ref's call that it resultedd in a touchdown (and thus there would be no extra point as the touchdown itself resulted in Cal having more points than Stanford).

I have written to AD Jim Knowlton that I would be willing to contribute $40,000 to help Cal to build a statue of Joe Starkey to be placed next to or very near to the existing statute of Kevin Moen. But I have not heard back from him on this issue. But perhaps he's not a supporter of my idea, as I have been somewhat critical of him recently.

BTW, I have no idea how costly it will be to fulfill my idea and how long it will take to do so.

1. Would announce that Cal has the most famous colllege football play in history, perhaps being more famous than any pro football play, and likely will always be so. BTW, the video has to end right after Joe's statement that with "there will be no extra point" (as Cal's touchdown without any extra point was enough for Cal to win the game).
2. Become a tourist attraction, as Starkey is likely, in the long run, to be even more of a famous person than Kevin Moen, with regard to The Play, as Starkey's call of The Play was so good.
3. Cement Cal as being a major football tourist location for the public and everyone who loves Cal, to visit to see and hear the video to be held in the stadium overnight in a safe location, for safekeeping, before being brought out every day to be placed next to the Joe Starkey statue for public viewing purposes and to watch and hear the video next to it.
4. The statue would make it more likely that ESPN's College Gameday would designate Cal as a place they would visit on a Saturday provided Cal had a good enough football nrecord that season and before ESPN made a choice for future locations of College GameDay. I will be sure to let ESPN know about the new statue and the video have been created and installed outside of Memorial.

I'd would like to send a copy of this note to Chacellor Carol Crist before I try to speak to her about my idea, in the hopes that she might support it and thus it could be completed as soon as possible. Would love to hear from Cal fans if they like my idea and what changes they might make to it. Please note that it may take a couple of years, or even longer, to get this idea to come to fruition even after it has been approved. Thanks for your help and Go Bears!

Appreciate the gesture and generosity, but the Moen statue is already enough, a very dynamic capture of the iconic shot of the Play, it covers the event very well.

Adding to that a statue of a middle-aged broadcaster wouldn't add anything to the current memorial, it would actually detract from it, as it would be an overkill.
Gobears49
HearstMining said:

No Starkey statue. I witnessed The Play. I saw the TV replay a jillion times. It was the greatest (or at least most unique) play in CFB history, but it was just a play in a game between two mediocre teams. Cal's continued glorification of The Play is an indication of how little the program has to celebrate, at least for the last 60 years.

1. Stanford was much better than a mediocre football. They were assured dbefore the game by a big bow they would de asked by them to participate in to a decent bowl game if they beat Cal, and this was in the days where there were much fewer potential bowl games to participate in than now.

2. Regarding Starkey's call, there was a lot going on in The Play. Most great plays involve one player running the ball, or passing it, with only one receiver or runner being involved. In The Play, there were a lot of laterals, which Starkey covered the best he could.. He rightfully gave up trying to announce who was carrying the ball after the famous lateral near the start of all of the laterals where the Cal player almost had his knee touch the ground, I believe, The third lateral was made after that lateral. Starkey smartly and righfully gave up on trying to announce who was carrying ball after that lateral as made. Nobody could have announced who was carrying the ball after that lateral. Everything was happening too fast.

3. I think The Play was called just about perfectly, but the genious of Starkey's call came after Moen scored, with Starkey going crazy, describing in a fanatic voice a overall summary of what had just occurred and the significance of it. That out of th world enthusiasm by Starkey that really makes his call of The Play unique. No other announcer of a significant play goes into that level of detail and with such detailed enthusiasm. If anyone does, Starkey deserves recognition for his detailed and enthusiastic call of the most exciting play in college football history. That should be done through a statue in his honor by Cal as well as a video recording of the event next to the Starkey statue. of the event. I rightfully think a monument of Starkey, and a video of the full play, with Kevin Moen scoring the winning touchdown, is the least Cal could ever do to mark what will undoubtedly be the most football play in colllege football history. The Play will forever put Cal on the college football map and should help Cal foootball recruiting, perhaps markedly so. There will never be a play close to The Play. We should give it the permanent recognition it deserves by adding a statue of Joe Starkey plus a peranent way of showing the full recording of The Play and it's immediate aftermath, ending with the statement that "There will be no extra point."
BearBoarBlarney
No on the Starkey statue. A plaque inside the press box is sufficient.

What really needs to happen is that the Andy Smith Bench be moved back to its rightful place on the eastern sideline of California Memorial Stadium and a statue of Andy Smith be erected near where the bench sits today. Andy Smith was the Nick Saban of his era, and his Wonder Teams are what allowed Memorial to be built in the first place.

Honor our greatest football coach of all time, not a beloved announcer with the greatest play call in college football history.
HearstMining
Gobears49 said:

HearstMining said:

1. Stanford was much better than a mediocre football. They were assured dbefore the game by a big bow they would de asked by them to participate in to a decent bowl game if they beat Cal, and this was in the days where there were much fewer potential bowl games to participate in than now.

2. Regarding Starkey's call, there was a lot going on in The Play. Most great plays involve one player running the ball, or passing it, with only one receiver or runner being involved. In The Play, there were a lot of laterals, which Starkey covered the best he could.. He rightfully gave up trying to announce who was carrying the ball after the famous lateral near the start of all of the laterals where the Cal player almost had his knee touch the ground, I believe, The third lateral was made after that lateral. Starkey smartly and righfully gave up on trying to announce who was carrying ball after that lateral as made. Nobody could have announced who was carrying the ball after that lateral. Everything was happening too fast.

3. I think The Play was called just about perfectly, but the genious of Starkey's call came after Moen scored, with Starkey going crazy, describing in a fanatic voice a overall summary of what had just occurred and the significance of it. That out of th world enthusiasm by Starkey that really makes his call of The Play unique. No other announcer of a significant play goes into that level of detail and with such detailed enthusiasm. If anyone does, Starkey deserves recognition for his detailed and enthusiastic call of the most exciting play in college football history. That should be done through a statue in his honor by Cal as well as a video recording of the event next to the Starkey statue. of the event. I rightfully think a monument of Starkey, and a video of the full play, with Kevin Moen scoring the winning touchdown, is the least Cal could ever do to mark what will undoubtedly be the most football play in colllege football history. The Play will forever put Cal on the college football map and should help Cal foootball recruiting, perhaps markedly so. There will never be a play close to The Play. We should give it the permanent recognition it deserves by adding a statue of Joe Starkey plus a peranent way of showing the full recording of The Play and it's immediate aftermath, ending with the statement that "There will be no extra point."

Stanford's overall record in 1982: 5-6. In conference: 3-5. Sounds like mediocre to me. If you were going to challenge my assertion, you should have done it based on Cal's record: 7-4 and 4-4. I confess I'd forgotten that was Kapp's only winning season.
wifeisafurd
Cal88 said:

Gobears49 said:

Appreciate the gesture and generosity, but the Moen statue is already enough, a very dynamic capture of the iconic shot of the Play, it covers the event very well.

Adding to that a statue of a middle-aged broadcaster wouldn't add anything to the current memorial, it would actually detract from it, as it would be an overkill.
Joe probably deserves something in recognition for his 40 plus years as Cal's announcer, but it really should be separate from Kevin and the play. Yes, a great call by Joe, but let's face it, it was the laterals, and the picture of Kevin landing on Gary that makes it so special.
tpender
He was a marginally decent announcer and full of himself!
Golden One
No.
Gobears49
HearstMining said:

I disagree. Most people who know about Starkey's call know Joe Starkey made the call of The Play. The main part of Starkey's call, if it is even shown on TV or from a video, is the actual call of The Play up to through the ref's spending 45 seconds of so in deciding whether The Play was a touchdown, after which some videos of The Play include the souond of Starkey going into his hysterical "most amazing" rant, leading up to his key point -- "there wil be no extra point" (as Cal had won the game with the six points they got from scoring the touchdown).

Through Starkey's call t I don't think there was any mention by Starkey of Moen, at least in the most popular videos of The Play ,with the only Cal player mentioned during the call of The Play being Rodgers's name mentioned twice. So though Moen was the key player in The Play (and I believe he touched the ball twice during it), Starkey is the person who turned out to be the most famous person associated in most people's minds with The Play, not Moen. Because of that, I think Starkey surely should be given credit for the popularity of The Play in the mind of the public.

bearister
How about a GoFundMe to pay down the CMS debt? That sausage vendor that had his cart seized and Mary Lou Retton really made bank.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
flounder
Gobears49 said:

HearstMining said:

I disagree. Most people who know about Starkey's call know Joe Starkey made the call of The Play. The main part of Starkey's call, if it is even shown on TV or from a video, is the actual call of The Play up to through the ref's spending 45 seconds of so in deciding whether The Play was a touchdown, after which some videos of The Play include the souond of Starkey going into his hysterical "most amazing" rant, leading up to his key point -- "there wil be no extra point" (as Cal had won the game with the six points they got from scoring the touchdown).

Through Starkey's call t I don't think there was any mention by Starkey of Moen, at least in the most popular videos of The Play ,with the only Cal player mentioned during the call of The Play being Rodgers's name mentioned twice. So though Moen was the key player in The Play (and I believe he touched the ball twice during it), Starkey is the person who turned out to be the most famous person associated in most people's minds with The Play, not Moen. Because of that, I think Starkey surely should be given credit for the popularity of The Play in the mind of the public.

his credit was getting to stay on the job for years when he was horrible. there are numerous cal players that deserve a statue over him.
BearOnABike
Big Picture thoughts: agree with Hearst that "Cal's continued glorification of The Play is an indication of how little the program has to celebrate, at least for the last 60 years." We've been running off of the fumes of The Play for far too long. It's cringeworthy frankly.

On the idea itself: no statue or continously playing video for Starkey. First, he did the radio call so a video doesn't make sense. Second, it was a good call and certainly adds an element to The Play, but The Play stands on its own. Those in attendance and watching on TV would attest to that.
southseasbear
BearBoarBlarney said:

No on the Starkey statue. A plaque inside the press box is sufficient....

Inside the press box where the public will never see it?
bluehenbear
Isn't a press box in memorial stadium already named for him? That seems apropos. Not a statue. Leave those for players and coaches.
blungld
I microphone with palque and an audio chip that when you approach is motion controlled and plays the audio of the call?

I'm kinda joking...but it might actually be cool. No video. NO statue, but a tribute to Joe would be great.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
bencgilmore
given that i would never consider listening to radio unless i'm completely SOL driving somewhere during a cal game, i rarely listened to starkey. when i did... yeah, it was tough to follow the play, but you could certainly appreciate his enthusiasm. i'm not sure any radio guy could really do the job though... from my first day watching football, there have been multiple zoom angles, instant replay, etc. no radio guy can convey a comparable level of detail, so i don't think thats all on joe.

maybe its different for guys who started watching in the 80s and 90s, where there was no HD, few replay angles, no instant replay etc. radio guys might have gotten closer, i dunno

regardless, he's an integral part of cal history and ought to be celebrated. we certainly are going to hear his voice for the rest of our lives. even if cal stopped playing football tomorrow, replays of the Play aren't going anywhere
okaydo
How long would a video installation go unscathed?
okaydo
Top 5 non players in Cal football history:

1. Andy Smith
2. Pappy Waldorf
3. Bruce Snyder
4. Joe Starkey
5. Jeff Tedford
Econ141
okaydo said:

How long would a video installation go unscathed?

I love the overall idea but I personally think audio-only would be even better; his frantic call was so amazing you can close your eyes and feel the excitement.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Gobears49
BearBoarBlarney said:

No on the Starkey statue. A plaque inside the press box is sufficient.

What really needs to happen is that the Andy Smith Bench be moved back to its rightful place on the eastern sideline of California Memorial Stadium and a statue of Andy Smith be erected near where the bench sits today. Andy Smith was the Nick Saban of his era, and his Wonder Teams are what allowed Memorial to be built in the first place.

Honor our greatest football coach of all time, not a beloved announcer with the greatest play call in college football history.
After reading this article after reading your comment, I agree with you. When I forward all of these comments to Carol Christ, I will suggest she read this article and do what you say. But you need to make the first contribution to your suggested upgrade to memorialize Andy Smith.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/no-6-andy-smith

MSaviolives
Consider if you were listening to Starkey's call on the radio without benefit of seeing what was happening.

"The ball is loose" No it wasn't--it was always in the hands of a player

"Another one!" Another what?

No idea of where on the field the play was happening. No indication that these were laterals.

Joe's heartfelt "The Bears have won" and what followed was very well done, but his actual play call was classic Joe and thus not good if the purpose was to understand the play as it unfolded.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.