Addition of a Joe Starkey statue, a The Play video, next to the Kevin Moen statue.

8,111 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by CalBarn
Gobears49
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MSaviolives said:

Consider if you were listening to Starkey's call on the radio without benefit of seeing what was happening.

"The ball is loose" No it wasn't--it was always in the hands of a player

"Another one!" Another what?

No idea of where on the field the play was happening. No indication that these were laterals.

Joe's heartfelt "The Bears have won" and what followed was very well done, but his actual play call was classic Joe and thus not good if the purpose was to understand the play as it unfolded.
I think Starkey's call addressed all of your complaints. I think he said afterwards he wished he could have described in more detail what was happeningm, but he really didn't have the time to do that.

Starkey didn't have time to look even see who was handling the ball, which would have required him being able to look that up on a lineup card for each different player who handled the ball, but that happened so quickly he (or anyone else) didn't have the time to do so, everything was happening so fast.

But heck, maybe you could have done that. Piece of cake, right? Starkey's comment that the ball was still loose was a interesting way of saying that Cal had the ball and nobody had tackled a Cal player who had the ball, so the play was stilll ongoing. A cool phrase, on the spur of the moment, to accurately let the listener know what was happening, if you ask me.

Starkey did what he did just to keep up with the quick laterals. Example -- "Another one" (quick reference to describe another lateral, which is the only thing he could say to describe rapid fire quick laterals between Cal ABOU players).

Starkey should be congratulated that he kept up with the movement of the ball, which is the most important fact he could tell his radio listeners. BUT I DON'T THINK I'VE READ ANYONE WHO HAS PRAISED STARKEY FOR DOING THAT. AGAIN, THAT WAS ALL STARKEY COULD DO TO KEEP UP WITH WHAT WAS HAPPENING ON THE FIELD SO QUICKLY AND DESCRIBING IT IN SUCH A WAY THAT THE LISTENER WOULD HAVE A CHANCE TO KNOW WHAT WAS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Starkey should be commended for coming up with a shorthand way of successfully commenting what was happening.
(
MSaviolives
Gobears49 said:

MSaviolives said:

Consider if you were listening to Starkey's call on the radio without benefit of seeing what was happening.

No idea of where on the field the play was happening. No indication that these were laterals.

Joe's heartfelt "The Bears have won" and what followed was very well done, but his actual play call was classic Joe and thus not good if the purpose was to understand the play as it unfolded.
I think Starkey's call addressed all of your complaints. I think he said afterwards he wished he could have described in more detail what was happeningm, but he really didn't have the time to do that.

Starkey didn't have time to look even see who was handling the ball, which would have required him being able to look that up on a lineup card for each different player who handled the ball, but that happened so quickly he (or anyone else) didn't have the time to do so, everything was happening so fast.

But heck, maybe you could have done that. Piece of cake, right? Starkey's comment that the ball was still loose was a interesting way of saying that Cal had the ball and nobody had tackled a Cal player who had the ball, so the play was stilll ongoing. A cool phrase, on the spur of the moment, to accurately let the listener know what was happening, if you ask me.

Starkey did what he did just to keep up with the quick laterals. Example -- "Another one" (quick reference to describe another lateral, which is the only thing he could say to describe rapid fire quick laterals between Cal ABOU players).

Starkey should be congratulated that he kept up with the movement of the ball, which is the most important fact he could tell his radio listeners. BUT I DON'T THINK I'VE READ ANYONE WHO HAS PRAISED STARKEY FOR DOING THAT. AGAIN, THAT WAS ALL STARKEY COULD DO TO KEEP UP WITH WHAT WAS HAPPENING ON THE FIELD SO QUICKLY AND DESCRIBING IT IN SUCH A WAY THAT THE LISTENER WOULD HAVE A CHANCE TO KNOW WHAT WAS ACTUALLY HAPPENING. Starkey should be commended for coming up with a shorthand way of successfully commenting what was happening.
(
I respectfully disagree on all of your points. Ball is loose is a cool phrase??? Bears had the ball; that has nothing to do with the ball being loose. Saying it is loose suggests it's on the ground. How are the radio listeners to divine your idiosyncratic definition?

Could I have done better? I honestly think I would have done better to describe the play, but definitely not the wonderful emotional summation Joe did, and that is really what his call is famous for and deservedly so, along with "the band is on the field." My point is that the call during the play itself was the usual nonspecific Joe, so that the radio listeners were deprived of the pleasure of a better understanding as it went down.

But its not about what I could have done. He was the professional. Plenty of good broadcasters could have described the play so those listening on the radio would have some understanding that the ball was being lateralled among multiple players as they made their way down the field. He utterly failed in that regard and in fact was terribly misleading with the "ball is loose" statements and never once said the word "lateral." I would love to hear Bill King or Kevin Harlan on that call, or even Greg Papa. Good radio broadcasters help the listener understand what is happening on the field. That was never Joe's forte. He was terrible at informing of location, time, down and distance. After a fumble he would say "they got it"--WHO got it??? And of course "he's got a man!!!" I still don't know if that means the QB sees an open receiver, he has thrown to an open receiver and the ball is in the air, or he has completed the pass (or he has a boyfriend, which seems inappropriately personal and unrelated to the football game).

If you believe Joe is a Cal institution I won't fight you. He is. I was simply pointing out that his call of the play before the band came out on the field was not so great, and reflected his career-long weakness in calling plays with reasonable description. He was criticized for this deficiency over and over by frustrated Cal fans and 49er fans like myself--it's a real thing.

By the way, I go alllll the way back with Joe. I was an Oakland Seals fan when I was a kid and used to listen to him call those games. He used the "what a bonanza" all the way back then!
Cal_79
Joe's forte was calling normal plays without the ability to accurately provide such info as down & distance, names of the players, score, and time on the clock. Aside from leaving his listeners clueless about what was happening on the field, he was a 'wonderful' radio announcer.
bearister
Someone has to address the elephant in the room. Is this thread a goof or as serious as a heart attack?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearBoarBlarney
bearister said:

Someone has to address the elephant in the room. Is this thread a goof or as serious as a heart attack?
Total goof, but you have to admire the OP's level of dedication to the fake cause as well as the timing of the post in the Jan sports 'dead zone' before the Super Bowl.
bearister
Two reflections on Starkey and I would invite others' take on them:

1. I thought he was too negative towards Cal as far as giving up on the Bears early in the game. I like delusion-ally positive guys like Greg Papa that projected a positive attitude that the Raiders always had a chance to win, even if that required a plane crash on the 50 yard line or an earthquake.

Certainly it is best to be professional and objective, but if you are going to be a homer, be a positive one; and

2. On more than a few occasions, I felt he made passive aggressive or patronizing comments to Lee Grosscup in particular, and sometimes to Mike Pawlawski.

Your thoughts?
tpender
Hard to get a read on him because he was all over the place! Just plain bad!
MSaviolives
My wife used to try to stop me from listening to him when we were driving because I would yell at the radio and that would agitate her. I had to promise just to listen. I never minded Joe's before and after game stuff--it was the play calling that drove me crazy.
Gobears49
okaydo said:

How long would a video installation go unscathed?
I am well aware of that issue and it really is the biggest negative to my plan. I think the only thing that can be done is to 1) to make the video screen as light and maneuverable as possible, and 2) storing it overnight inside a heavily locked room inside of Memorial as possible, with Memorial being locked. Of course, Memorial would need to be fully locked each day. But the locking would be handled by a Memorial employee.
s sAnother idea I just had is to arrange for everyone's cell phones to view the full video of The Play. However, not sure if that is the most reliable way to view The Play. Looking forward to reading other people's thoughts on this idea. I am not a techie.
Big C
bearister said:

1. I thought he was too negative towards Cal as far as giving up on the Bears early in the game. I like delusion-ally positive guys like Greg Papa that projected a positive attitude that the Raiders always had a chance to win, even if that required a plane crash on the 50 yard line or an earthquake.

Certainly it is best to be professional and objective, but if you are going to be a homer, be a positive one; and

2. On more than a few occasions, I felt he made passive aggressive or patronizing comments to Lee Grosscup in particular, and sometimes to Mike Pawlawski.

Your thoughts?

It sounds like you are saying no statue? What if we also had smaller statues of Grosscup and Pawlawski? I would contribute $150 each for those!

Okay, how about just the video?
Cal_79
How about a bobble head?
southseasbear
Slightly off topic, but if we are going to build another statue, why not one of Walter Gordon. He was Cal's first All American, one of the first two African-American All Americans, a star on Andy Smith's teams, followed by being hired by Smith to be an assistant coach. Later, he was the first African-American graduate of Boalt Hall and then went on to be a police officer, attorney, judge, member of the parole Board, President of the Berkeley branch of the NAACP, and Governor of the Virgin Islands.

A star on and off the grid iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_A._Gordon

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/insidecdcr/2021/02/10/walter-gordon-helped-shape-californias-parole-system/

https://nleomf.org/walter-a-gordon/
Gobears49
HearstMining said:

Gobears49 said:

HearstMining said:

No Starkey statue. I witnessed The Play. I saw the TV replay a jillion times. It was the greatest (or at least most unique) play in CFB history, but it was just a play in a game between two mediocre teams. Cal's continued glorification of The Play is an indication of how little the program has to celebrate, at least for the last 60 years.

1. Stanford was much better than a mediocre football. They were assured dbefore the game by a big bow they would de asked by them to participate in to a decent bowl game if they beat Cal, and this was in the days where there were much fewer potential bowl games to participate in than now.

2. Regarding Starkey's call, there was a lot going on in The Play. Most great plays involve one player running the ball, or passing it, with only one receiver or runner being involved. In The Play, there were a lot of laterals, which Starkey covered the best he could.. He rightfully gave up trying to announce who was carrying the ball after the famous lateral near the start of all of the laterals where the Cal player almost had his knee touch the ground, I believe, The third lateral was made after that lateral. Starkey smartly and righfully gave up on trying to announce who was carrying ball after that lateral as made. Nobody could have announced who was carrying the ball after that lateral. Everything was happening too fast.

3. I think The Play was called just about perfectly, but the genious of Starkey's call came after Moen scored, with Starkey going crazy, describing in a fanatic voice a overall summary of what had just occurred and the significance of it. That out of th world enthusiasm by Starkey that really makes his call of The Play unique. No other announcer of a significant play goes into that level of detail and with such detailed enthusiasm. If anyone does, Starkey deserves recognition for his detailed and enthusiastic call of the most exciting play in college football history. That should be done through a statue in his honor by Cal as well as a video recording of the event next to the Starkey statue. of the event. I rightfully think a monument of Starkey, and a video of the full play, with Kevin Moen scoring the winning touchdown, is the least Cal could ever do to mark what will undoubtedly be the most football play in colllege football history. The Play will forever put Cal on the college football map and should help Cal foootball recruiting, perhaps markedly so. There will never be a play close to The Play. We should give it the permanent recognition it deserves by adding a statue of Joe Starkey plus a peranent way of showing the full recording of The Play and it's immediate aftermath, ending with the statement that "There will be no extra point."

Stanford's overall record in 1982: 5-6. In conference: 3-5. Sounds like mediocre to me. If you were going to challenge my assertion, you should have done it based on Cal's record: 7-4 and 4-4. I confess I'd forgotten that was Kapp's only winning season.
Stanford was promised a bowl game if they won the game and that was back in the days when going to a bowl game was much less frequent than what occurs these days.
Alkiadt
bearister said:

Your thoughts?

Couldn't stand him as an announcer, and he is pompous to boot.

He's already in the Cal HOF. That's more than enough. A statue of that pear body? Really. You have to be joking.
NO.
Big C
Alkiadt said:

bearister said:

Your thoughts?

Couldn't stand him as an announcer, and he is pompous to boot.

He's already in the Cal HOF. That's more than enough. A statue of that pear body? Really. You have to be joking.
NO.

What if the statue accurately reflected his physique? You could chuckle every time you passed it.

I have to be joking.
YES.
HearstMining
Starkey was ok, but on his best day wasn't half as good as Bill King on his worst. Here is Bill's call of the Raiders Holy Roller play:

"There's nothing real in the world anymore"
Gobears49
MSaviolives said:

Joe's heartfelt "The Bears have won" and what followed was very well done, but his actual play call was classic Joe and thus not good if the purpose was to understand the play as it unfolded."
"The ball is still loose." A draamatic way of saying shorthand for ball is still being lateralled between the Cal players. Use of the word "loose" was a great, shorthand way, of saying one player was not always carrying the ball.

Another shorthand statement that the ball is still being lateraled.

Haven't mentioned that perhaps Starkey's best work was what he said during the time the officials were conferring what their decision was as to whether to rule the play was a touchdown. Can't beat Starkey's extended emotion on that segment. BTW, Starkey ending his rant with "there will be no extra point," was perfect, indicating tthat the extra point was not needed by Cal to win the game, as the six point Cal touchdown left Cal being ahead in the score by one point!!!!!

I can't believe all of you guys. Cal wins the game in the most dramatic fashion possible and your reaction is just a bunch of complaints. It's time to celebrate the greatest and most dramatic football play of all time.

Really looking forward to seeing how much money ESPN will pay Cal to broadcast the game. I think Cal could do a great job in pointing out how famous The Play is. Given how famous The Play already is, it could easily be the most watched College GameDay program of all time with proper promotion by ESPN. Great ratings should mean a lot of money for Cal from ESPN.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Gobears49 said:

MSaviolives said:

Joe's heartfelt "The Bears have won" and what followed was very well done, but his actual play call was classic Joe and thus not good if the purpose was to understand the play as it unfolded."
"The ball is still loose." A draamatic way of saying shorthand for ball is still being lateralled between the Cal players. Use of the word "loose" was a great, shorthand way, of saying one player was not always carrying the ball.

Haven't mentioned that perhaps Starkey's best work was what he said during the time the officials were conferring what their decision was as to whether to rule the play was a touchdown. Can't beat Starkey's extended emotion on that segment. BTW, Starkey ending his rant with "there will be no extra point," was perfect, indicating tthat the extra point was not needed by Cal to win the game, as the six point Cal touchdown left Cal being ahead in the score by one point!!!!!

I can't believe all of you guys. Cal wins the game in the most dramatic fashion possible and your reaction is just a bunch of complaints. It's time to celebrate the greatest and most dramatic football play of all time.

Really looking forward to seeing how much money ESPN will pay Cal to broadcast the game. I think Cal could do a great job in pointing out how famous The Play is. Given how famous The Play already is, it could easily be the most watched College GameDay program of all time with proper promotion by ESPN. Great ratings should mean a lot of money for Cal from ESPN.

1. From some quick googling (something you should try if you want answers), it appears that ESPN Gameday doesn't pay anything or very little if they come to your school. The schools lose money as they have to set up an area for it and have staff and security present. Wisconsin reported that they lost $6200 hosting Gameday in 2016. Not a big loss, but not a financial bonanza. The payoff for the schools is a few hours of free advertising.

2. I doubt honoring a play that happened decades ago before much of ESPN's audience was born would move the ratings much. Maybe if Cal and their opponent were top 5 teams with Heisman candidates. Hey, I can dream! I was in the stadium watching The Play as it happened, and it was incredible, but time marches on and we should too.

3. Schools get paid extra for high ratings? What a quaint notion.
Alkiadt
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Gobears49 said:

MSaviolives said:

1. From some quick googling (something you should try if you want answers), it appears that ESPN Gameday doesn't pay anything or very little if they come to your school. The schools lose money as they have to set up an area for it and have staff and security present. Wisconsin reported that they lost $6200 hosting Gameday in 2016. Not a big loss, but not a financial bonanza. The payoff for the schools is a few hours of free advertising.

2. I doubt honoring a play that happened decades ago before much of ESPN's audience was born would move the ratings much. Maybe if Cal and their opponent were top 5 teams with Heisman candidates. Hey, I can dream! I was in the stadium watching The Play as it happened, and it was incredible, but time marches on and we should too.

Responding is a waste of time.
MSaviolives
Alkiadt said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Gobears49 said:

MSaviolives said:

Responding is a waste of time.
Yeah I give up. He just responded AGAIN to my first post as though we had not already gone back and forth--he earlier responded to my first post and I had responded in depth to his response. Weird. I say "he" but it could be a "she"--Mrs. Starkey maybe?
Gobears49
okaydo said:

I agree this is a major issue, easily th biggest one. The replay device would have to be locked up inside Memorial overnight for safekeeping and would need to be brought out seven days a week, though maybe not on Sundays
Gobears49
Gobears49 said:

okaydo said:

I am well aware of that issue and it really is the biggest negative to my plan. I think the only thing that can be done is to 1) to make the video screen as light and maneuverable as possible, and 2) storing it overnight inside a heavily locked room inside of Memorial as possible, with Memorial being locked. Of course, Memorial would need to be fully locked each day. But the locking would be handled by a Memorial employee.
s sAnother idea I just had is to arrange for everyone's cell phones to view the full video of The Play. However, not sure if that is the most reliable way to view The Play. Looking forward to reading other people's thoughts on this idea. I am not a techie.
I commmented elsewhere onthis issue, and it the biggest one The video contraption would have to be brought up to Memorial for safekeeping each night and back down the next morning. Hopefully if would light enough so only two people would be needed to carry it.
Big C
Gobears49 said:

Gobears49 said:

okaydo said:

I commmented elsewhere onthis issue, and it the biggest one The video contraption would have to be brought up to Memorial for safekeeping each night and back down the next morning. Hopefully if would light enough so only two people would be needed to carry it.

It could become a campus tradition. Kinda like TAMU's 12th man, only better! Who would get the honor?!? Or maybe it would be a job for freshmen, like when we used to have the Big Game Bonfire!
mbBear
Gobears49 said:

Please indicate whether you think it would be a good idea to add a Joe Starkey statue next to Memorial, to be placed next to the existing Kevin Moen statue, to honor Starkey and his famous call of The Play, which put Cal on the map as having the most famous play in college football history. See the following link showing Cal as having the most famous college football play in history. (Cal is number one in this category.

In addition to the statue, a video, showing the full video of The Play and Starkey's call of it, up through the ref's call that it resultedd in a touchdown (and thus there would be no extra point as the touchdown itself resulted in Cal having more points than Stanford).

I have written to AD Jim Knowlton that I would be willing to contribute $40,000 to help Cal to build a statue of Joe Starkey to be placed next to or very near to the existing statute of Kevin Moen. But I have not heard back from him on this issue. But perhaps he's not a supporter of my idea, as I have been somewhat critical of him recently.

BTW, I have no idea how costly it will be to fulfill my idea and how long it will take to do so.

I think the statue could have the following benefits

1. Would announce that Cal has the most famous colllege football play in history, perhaps being more famous than any pro football play, and likely will always be so. BTW, the video has to end right after Joe's statement that with "there will be no extra point" (as Cal's touchdown without any extra point was enough for Cal to win the game).
2. Become a tourist attraction, as Starkey is likely, in the long run, to be even more of a famous person than Kevin Moen, with regard to The Play, as Starkey's call of The Play was so good.
3. Cement Cal as being a major football tourist location for the public and everyone who loves Cal, to visit to see and hear the video to be held in the stadium overnight in a safe location, for safekeeping, before being brought out every day to be placed next to the Joe Starkey statue for public viewing purposes and to watch and hear the video next to it.
4. The statue would make it more likely that ESPN's College Gameday would designate Cal as a place they would visit on a Saturday provided Cal had a good enough football nrecord that season and before ESPN made a choice for future locations of College GameDay. I will be sure to let ESPN know about the new statue and the video have been created and installed outside of Memorial.

I'd would like to send a copy of this note to Chacellor Carol Crist before I try to speak to her about my idea, in the hopes that she might support it and thus it could be completed as soon as possible. Would love to hear from Cal fans if they like my idea and what changes they might make to it. Please note that it may take a couple of years, or even longer, to get this idea to come to fruition even after it has been approved. Thanks for your help and Go Bears!

You want to extend tradition and legendary stories? Put a Joe Roth statue up there...the greatest college player never to play in the NFL..in the NFL era.
ESPN is dying to do a Gameday at Cal...they need Cal to be winning and have a significant match up..
01Bear
Big C said:

Gobears49 said:

Gobears49 said:

okaydo said:

It could become a campus tradition. Kinda like TAMU's 12th man, only better! Who would get the honor?!? Or maybe it would be a job for freshmen, like when we used to have the Big Game Bonfire!

"Freshman, more Starkey!" I shudder at the notion.
tpender
Please stop this idiotic madness!
Big C
tpender said:

It's its own genre: absurdist humor
bearister
If the artist that did these wax figures is available, he could probably knock off a quick Starkey statue for less than $5K.

Chinese waxwork museum might be the creepiest place on Earth

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2618892/Is-worst-wax-museum-Chinese-Madame-Tussauds-creepiest-place-Earth.html
01Bear
Big C said:

tpender said:

Thankfully, absurdist humor is already a genre where writers, like Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, and Tom Holt are far funnier than OP.
Big C
01Bear said:

Big C said:

tpender said:

Thankfully, absurdist humor is already a genre where writers, like Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, and Tom Holt are far funnier than OP.

Not surprisingly, absurdist humor on the Growls forum of Bear Insider is not going to be world class / professional quality
01Bear
Big C said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

tpender said:

Not surprisingly, absurdist humor on the Growls forum of Bear Insider is not going to be world class / professional quality

Very true!
Gobears49
MSaviolives said:

1, Always in the hands of a player -- not when a lateral was made.

2. The ball is still loose -- if the ball had been fumbled, I am sure Starkey would have said so. When a lateral occurs there is a short period of time the ball is loose, not held by a player.

3. Again, laterals are to be expected on a play such as this, which was the last play of the game (Starkey must have said how many seconds were left on the clock before The Play began). Laterals are normally expected when there are only a few seconds left in the game, so are very common on the last play of the game. When a lateral occurs the ball can be said to be "loose." It's a colorful way of saying saying "lateral." I applaud Starkey's colorful use of that word.
prospeCt
https://www.nba.com/news/lakers-unveil-kobe-bryant-statue

AunBear89
01Bear said:

Big C said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

tpender said:

Very true!

I don't know. . . The work of Yogi and his many sock puppets borders on mad genius, but it isn't parody, so it's really just sad and pathetic.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
01Bear
AunBear89 said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

01Bear said:

Big C said:

tpender said:

Very true!

I don't know. . . The work of Yogi and his many sock puppets borders on mad genius, but it isn't parody, so it's really just sad and pathetic.

I hadn't realized this was just another Yogi account. Good catch!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.