Game day experience

11,058 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by HighlandDutch
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1.,pa system echoing. Something wrong. Could not understand much of what was said. Same as last year. Band hardly played, Bear Growl is back and now we have an nfl 2 minute warning. Are we still being held hostage by Leerfield? The said they were shortening the half time to speedup the game yet they inserted thevtwo minute crap. Also at the end of the game. Everyone in our row left said screw it
Go Bears!
Anarchistbear
DJ was cool.

Band needs to play less. Pre game at Sproul is cool and half time is ok but offstage during the game is better
75bear
Every college football game now has a 2 minute warning.
JimSox
The canned music was played way too much and way too loud. Played while the QB was trying to hear the call in the (newly authorized?) helmet gizmo. Both teams. Pipe down and let the band play.
oskidunker
JimSox said:

The canned music was played way too much and way too loud. Played while the QB was trying to hear the call in the (newly authorized?) helmet gizmo. Both teams. Pipe down and let the band play.

Write to the Chancellor. He is the only hope.
Go Bears!
JSC 76
oskidunker said:

1.,pa system echoing. Something wrong. Could not understand much of what was said. Same as last year. Band hardly played, Bear Growl is back and now we have an nfl 2 minute warning. Are we still being held hostage by Leerfield? The said they were shortening the half time to speedup the game yet they inserted thevtwo minute crap. Also at the end of the game. Everyone in our row left said screw it
Yeah, I noticed that at the 2:00 minute before the end of the game it was like a fire drill. Everybody got up and left.

Just what college football needs: another break in the action. There was a sequence early in the 3rd quarter where there was a 3 minute commercial break; then the Aggies went 3 and out...followed by another 3 minute commercial break.

HoopDreams
oskidunker said:

I think it depends on where you are sitting

I'm on the east side and was pleasantly surprised how clear the PA system was
oskidunker
HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

I was in GG
Go Bears!
Econ141
Was there a single "roll on you bears"? I know we didn't roll much I never heard one in section E.

Also - wife goes to get a hot dog for the kid. They ran out of buns. Had already rang her up. Asked for a refund they say they can't do it and to go find someone in a yellow jacket. Yellow jacket guy says he can't do it either and to go to guest services. Rather than waiting in that line and potentially getting another non-answer, we just took the loss. Inept.
Golden One
HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

The echo was pretty bad on the west side of the stadium. I noticed that they have installed some large speakers above the rim of the stadium on each goal line. I wonder if that's causing the problem.
HoopDreams
Golden One said:

HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

The echo was pretty bad on the west side of the stadium. I noticed that they have installed some large speakers above the rim of the stadium on each goal line. I wonder if that's causing the problem.
they had the large black speakers last season too, and they are immensely better than the much smaller speakers on the section polls. Actually one of the best game day experience improvements on the east side.

I also think those where the speakers I was listening to when I said they were surprisingly clear, although I'm close to section GG. Maybe closer to the stadium, which may have made the acoustics better for me?
HoopDreams
what were the white curtains for on the Cal sideline?

I've never seen them at a Cal game before, nor any college FB game
rkt88edmo
Fk the piped in music, it is repetitive and lame really really repetitive by 4th qtr, I can't imagine a whole season of this schlock.
Apache was pretty good, yes to DJs yes to innovative music that doesnt play over the band

Why do they play hype music when we are on offense in the huddle, it thought we were quiet for our team and loud to disrupt the opposition.
rkt88edmo
I was wondering if that was supposed to shield the coaches from crowd noise or rear eavesdropping? Doesnt seem like west side is loud enough to warrant it. Maybe to simply shade them?
Golden One
HoopDreams said:

Golden One said:

HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

they had the large black speakers last season too, and they are immensely better than the much smaller speakers on the section polls. Actually one of the best game day experience improvements on the east side.

I also think those where the speakers I was listening to when I said they were surprisingly clear, although I'm close to section GG. Maybe closer to the stadium, which may have made the acoustics betterfor me?

I didn't notice them last year. Whatever the cause, the echo was pretty bad on the west side.
oskidunker
Golden One said:

HoopDreams said:

Golden One said:

HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

I also think those where the speakers I was listening to when I said they were surprisingly clear, although I'm close to section GG. Maybe closer to the stadium, which may have made the acoustics betterfor me?

I didn't notice them last year. Whatever the cause, the echo was pretty bad on the west side.

And I suppose the powers that Be do not care.
Go Bears!
JSC 76
rkt88edmo said:

Fk the piped in music, it is repetitive and lame really really repetitive by 4th qtr, I can't imagine a whole season of this schlock.
Apache was pretty good, yes to DJs yes to innovative music that doesnt play over the band

Why do they play hype music when we are on offense in the huddle, it thought we were quiet for our team and loud to disrupt the opposition.
The DJ has no concept of football. His only job is to fill the silence with noise.
rkt88edmo
JSC 76 said:

rkt88edmo said:

The DJ has no concept of football. His only job is to fill the silence with noise.
But I'm pretty sure that's not the DJ when they play the same 4 hype songs over and over...
HoopDreams
another comment about game day experience

pre-game on maxwell field was even worse than last year which is hard to believe

zero vendors or booths, no beer booth, no band

really just an empty field with no energy, except for a couple kids jump blow ups

if you don't have access to the Cal Athletic Fund area there is no reason to even bother
HoopDreams
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_XCSi8xRZ2/

also saw a lot of MBB players at game today
[url=https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_XCSi8xRZ2/][/url]
Big C
HoopDreams said:

It used to be the "injury tent" but lately, we need an "injury suite".
Big C
Anarchistbear said:

DJ was cool.

Band needs to play less. Pre game at Sproul is cool and half time is ok but offstage during the game is better

"Anarchistbear"?!?

You're Communistbear!
StillNoStanfurdium
HoopDreams said:

If you're talking about what I'm thinking you're talking about I thought they were to basically give a better background behind signal callers to make it more clear for coaches/players that are showing signals to the players.
82gradDLSdad
StillNoStanfurdium said:

HoopDreams said:

If you're talking about what I'm thinking you're talking about I thought they were to basically give a better background behind signal callers to make it more clear for coaches/players that are showing signals to the players.

Some of us postulated that they were to hide the play signalers calls from anyone in the booths who could steal them. Couldn't do that on the other side but can do that on the west side. I don't know. The 'background making it easier to see' reasoning sounds like a good reason too.
FrankBear21
They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.
mbBear
oskidunker said:

The two minute warning (which it's not being called) is a good thing in my opinion, IF it helps take away a break from other parts of the game, or, as you say, shortens half time....I haven't read enough to know what the full intent was.
Obviously, two minute warning and halftime length is not determined by Cal...
82gradDLSdad
FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.
75bear
82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.
In today's world, this is just called music.
GivemTheAxe
HoopDreams said:

oskidunker said:

I also hate the PA. Too loud and too garbled. I also had a difficult time understanding what was being said. Maybe the acoustics had something to do with the empty seats in the Big Donor Alumni sections

My seats are on the East Side North of the young Alumni section
oskidunker
I have a pocket radio with ear buds. I have kcsm, a jazz station,programmed in. When there is a time out I switch to that and turn the volume up . Much more enjoyable than the crap.
Go Bears!
ducky23
82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game
Pittstop
So, I gather from the comments that absolutely no one enjoyed attending today's game at Memorial Stadium, right? Not recommended to go see the games in person?
JSC 76
Pittstop said:

So, I gather from the comments that absolutely no one enjoyed attending today's game at Memorial Stadium, right? Not recommended to go see the games in person?
Perhaps you're serious; perhaps you're being snarky to make a point. But your comment does cause me to reflect deeply.

I think that the changes in the game day stadium experience in the last 10 years -- post-remodel, post-Covid, post-takeover-by-Learfield- -- have made the experience vastly less fun than it used to be. At this point, I'm going to the games out of habit and tradition, and the glimmer of hope that the positive will outweigh the negative.

I used to enjoy hearing the Cal Band play during every timeout and between snaps. To hear a semi-full student section in full roar under the direction of competent mic-men. To watch card stunts at half time. To stand in the tunnel after the game while the Band marches out playing "One More River".

Those are all gone, replaced by hype men and DJs. I miss the old days.

bluehenbear
ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game

Based on 1st half they need a new playlist.
Anarchistbear
I enjoyed my free ticket, not a full house means you can wander around the stadium and enjoy the game from different sections. Doing so reminded me that the band is only consequential to certain sections and the on field mic man- is there one?- is like the town crier, something from the past

Trummer and East Brothers Pils are good local additions

I liked whatever we are calling this DJ- only time I saw people shaking their bodies. He does need to add playlist

Also I don't know why they don't post more out of town scores or more stats

All and all a fun day at the stadium though sometimes the view towards the water is better than what is happening on field

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.