Game day experience

11,052 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by HighlandDutch
kal kommie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

kal kommie said:

Like so many others who have reported here, I am repulsed by the amount and volume of music blasted from the speakers. Really seems like the gameday experience directors are trying to fill every permissible second with noise from the speakers whether it be an advertisement, an announcement, or modern music. This is objectionable enough in itself but it does the additional harm of silencing the band.

Speaking of the band, can anyone tell why the band was moved a couple of sections south? It's no longer embedded in the student section. Yet another blow to the atmosphere, making it harder for most of the crowd to hear the band, as well as separating the band students from the rest of the students.
The Acc does not allow the band to be directly behind the opposing team Since Wilcox did not want the sun in his eyes he moved the Cal team to the west side thus creating this problem. I dont think its a big deal, although the sound heard on the west side seems diminished . Fyi, the Pac 12 prohibited students from being behind opposing team.
Thanks for the info on the ACC rule. I suspected it might be something like that.

Rather than a "big deal" I see it as just one more degenerating blow to the atmosphere. The gameday experience is alien from what I experienced between the 80s and the end of the Tedford era.
oskidunker
kal kommie said:

oskidunker said:

kal kommie said:

Like so many others who have reported here, I am repulsed by the amount and volume of music blasted from the speakers. Really seems like the gameday experience directors are trying to fill every permissible second with noise from the speakers whether it be an advertisement, an announcement, or modern music. This is objectionable enough in itself but it does the additional harm of silencing the band.

Speaking of the band, can anyone tell why the band was moved a couple of sections south? It's no longer embedded in the student section. Yet another blow to the atmosphere, making it harder for most of the crowd to hear the band, as well as separating the band students from the rest of the students.
Do what I do. Get a pocket radio with ear buds
I want to hear the the band, the students, the rest of the crowd, and the folks around me including my family. I even want to hear the play summary and some of the announcements and promotions, like when other Cal athletics teams are honored on the field for their success. I just want them to cut the piped-in music by 80% so we can hear the sounds of a real college football game.

Agree but since The noise from the stadium speakers makes all of that impossible, I'll go with the radio to preserve my sanity.
Go Bears!
concernedparent
HoopDreams said:

We should create a playlist and send to Cal as a suggestion

I like much of the music but my major complaint is not the new EDM, but that they play too many of the very common stadium songs too often…. Just cliche with no originality

At some point it's like going to weddings and always hearing the same wedding songs. If I hear YMCA at one more wedding I just might leave… even before the cake!
They played an instrumental track (I think it was a 50 cent song?) as the players were going into the tunnels for halftime that fit super well with the vibe. There are so many well-known but not often utilized for stadiums songs like that we should consider.
HoopDreams
82gradDLSdad said:

I'd go for some Metallica. Geriatric my ass.

Beauty is in the eye (ear) of the beholder

I hate that music
6956bear
HoopDreams said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I hate that music
Somehow I think all the negatives around music etc would be less impactful to the fan experience if the team was more exciting and won more often. There is no way to make everybody happy and Saturday most of the folks I sat around were much more bothered by the play on the field. The first half for sure.

I love the band etc but my lasting impressions of over 50 years of attending these games is the games themselves. Lets try winning more and being more exciting while doing so.

And lets try to not run out of water, sodas and hot dogs by halftime. Which is what I experienced at an east side concession stand.
82gradDLSdad
HoopDreams said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I hate that music

I would too if it was blared for an hour straight out of large speakers. That's sort of my point. Maybe a little softer and a little variety. Once the team is on the field blare away with whatever they want.
HearstMining
flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.

ah yeah, the need to insult an entire genre of music. what would suit your geriatric taste?

Somehow,, I don't think rap music's feelings will be hurt.
randythebear
The length of the TV timeouts disrupts the flow of the game and it's just boring. Hype man was pathetic disruption of student spirit group roles. Powers that be don't understand or care about our tradition, and it's evolved into a game in the stadium experience that is far les enjoyable. Sadly , it's now better to watch at home on TV.
Sonofoski
oskidunker said:

1.,pa system echoing. Something wrong. Could not understand much of what was said. Same as last year. Band hardly played, Bear Growl is back and now we have an nfl 2 minute warning. Are we still being held hostage by Leerfield? The said they were shortening the half time to speedup the game yet they inserted thevtwo minute crap. Also at the end of the game. Everyone in our row left said screw it
They put the 2 minute warning in to allow for more commercials.
oskidunker
Sonofoski said:

oskidunker said:

1.,pa system echoing. Something wrong. Could not understand much of what was said. Same as last year. Band hardly played, Bear Growl is back and now we have an nfl 2 minute warning. Are we still being held hostage by Leerfield? The said they were shortening the half time to speedup the game yet they inserted thevtwo minute crap. Also at the end of the game. Everyone in our row left said screw it
They put the 2 minute warning in to allow for more commercials.
After bragging about how the half time was shortened last year to shorten the length of the game
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
There are several threads talking about the music (as there is every game/season) so I forget where I posted it…

But agree we should have more variety and not just type of music but music selection within a Genre

I complained about playing the generic stadium music too often (e.g. clap, clap your hands)

I went to a Giants game a couple weeks ago, and they put up on the video board 4 song options for everyone to vote on for a song they would play later in the game

It not only was a fun fan engagement thing and at least everyone felt they had a say

So many easy, creative, no/low cost to improve the game day experience

82gradDLSdad said:

HoopDreams said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I hate that music

I would too if it was blared for an hour straight out of large speakers. That's sort of my point. Maybe a little softer and a little variety. Once the team is on the field blare away with whatever they want.
Sonofoski
Just what is the piped in music trying to accomplish; to get more fans in the stands. It's as if fans come to the games to hear piped in music. Fans come to the games to root for their team to win. CAL doesn't have a team that wins consistently. If those in charge think they are providing entertainment over and above of a winning football team, they are sadly mistaken. Nobody wants to see a loser, lose consistently; that's CAL in a nutshell.

The entertainment value of piped in music is meaningless unless the team wins. CAL doesn't have that.
Big C
kal kommie said:

oskidunker said:

kal kommie said:

I want to hear the the band, the students, the rest of the crowd, and the folks around me including my family. I even want to hear the play summary and some of the announcements and promotions, like when other Cal athletics teams are honored on the field for their success. I just want them to cut the piped-in music by 80% so we can hear the sounds of a real college football game.

If they're going to move the Cal Band a couple of sections south, they might as well just move them to the center of the south endzone. You'll be surprised how much louder they sound when they are (sort of) facing you instead of facing away.
kal kommie
Big C said:

kal kommie said:

oskidunker said:

kal kommie said:

If they're going to move the Cal Band a couple of sections south, they might as well just move them to the center of the south endzone. You'll be surprised how much louder they sound when they are (sort of) facing you instead of facing away.
Makes sense.

What a ghastly Cal football world we find ourselves in.
TomBear

This is a sad situation, from my perspective.

The reason the team has always been on the east side is because the student section is on the east side. The student section was there in order to be "behind the team", sort of like the 12th man at A&M. It's symbolic ("we've got your 6"). Also, in the old days, the team could hear the yells and the encouragement from the students in the section better because they were right behind the team.

Cal Band was always an extension of the student section, and was "behind the team" (again....."we've got your six") for the same reason the student section was always behind the team.

The seating in the student section is different than any part of the stadium. The middle section has longer benches so the students can perform card stunts (something they would not be able to do in any other part of the stadium because of aisles that would interfere with the visuals).

I fully recognize today's students aren't willing to do the stunts as they were intended. But I keep hoping that the tradition will come back if the team starts to win.

As for Cal Band, as I said, they were always strategically placed as close to the student section as possible in order to be an integral part of the "Cal Spirit" in it's totality.

I feel like the whole game day experience is eroding into a wannabe nfl minor league. I've expressed my peripheral thoughts ad infinitum, so will just leave this reply as it is.
Golden One
TomBear said:

The reason the team has always been on the east side is because the student section is on the east side. The student section was there in order to be "behind the team", sort of like the 12th man at A&M. It's symbolic ("we've got your 6"). Also, in the old days, the team could hear the yells and the encouragement from the students in the section better because they were right behind the team.

Cal Band was always an extension of the student section, and was "behind the team" (again....."we've got your six") for the same reason the student section was always behind the team.

The seating in the student section is different than any part of the stadium. The middle section has longer benches so the students can perform card stunts (something they would not be able to do in any other part of the stadium because of aisles that would interfere with the visuals).

I fully recognize today's students aren't willing to do the stunts as they were intended. But I keep hoping that the tradition will come back if the team starts to win.

As for Cal Band, as I said, they were always strategically placed as close to the student section as possible in order to be an integral part of the "Cal Spirit" in it's totality.

I feel like the whole game day experience is eroding into a wannabe nfl minor league. I've expressed my peripheral thoughts ad infinitum, so will just leave this reply as it is.
The Cal bench is now directly across from the student section, so the team has no problem hearing them. In fact, it may even be easier for the team to hear them now. The team just needs to start winning on a regular basis so that they can generate some enthusiasm among the students. Then you'll see the student section get louder so that the team (and the rest of the stadium) can clearly hear them.
HoopDreams
Agree with you Tom

TomBear said:

flounder
TomBear said:

It has become more and more obvious since the 2010's, but especially with Gen-Z, that they don't care about the card stunt tradition or want to participate in them. It looks pathetic when they are done in a half assed way. It is what it is.
MinotStateBeav
Terrible DJ music must be infecting all of college football, was reading Florida State reddit and they are massively complaining about the DJ music, they called it kazoo music haha.

https://old.reddit.com/r/fsusports/

This ex-FSU band member said last year they were told 3rd down was DJ music only to hype up the team, I have to imagine our band is being told the same lies. These guys committed to Cal with its existing traditions, if they don't like em they can go elsewhere. The University throwing away Cal traditions should be a no go.

https://old.reddit.com/r/fsusports/comments/1f89fz6/weather_garrett_as_a_chief_last_year_it_was/
kal kommie
TomBear said:

Couldn't agree more with TomBear, except I wouldn't characterize the game day experience as "eroding" anymore. Mutilated is how I would describe it.

The students belong together. That includes the students of the section, the band students and the student-athletes. That's how it's been my whole life, and much, much longer. I've seen pictures from the 1950s with the band embedded within the students just like it was before this season. It was probably always this way, ever since there was a Cal Marching Band. Not to mention how much harder it is for most of the stadium to hear the band now.

To rip up that configuration because some mediocre coach after 8 years doesn't want the sun in his face anymore is absurd. Did they poll the students? The band? Season ticket holders? No, they forced this change on us just like all the other harmful changes.

Aside from the season tickets I still buy, I haven't donated any money to the program in years and the "game day experience" is why. I don't really care about wins and losses. I've been around Cal football long enough to know winning will come and go. I care about the experience of attending a Cal football game at Memorial Stadium much more. They've butchered that experience and for absolutely compensating gain at all.

The last couple of years I've been strongly considering dumping my season tickets and only purchasing them on a per-game basis. The program is headed toward extinction and part of me wants to drive it there faster so the frustration over the self-inflicted wounds to the game day atmosphere can pass.
RedlessWardrobe
MinotStateBeav said:

Terrible DJ music must be infecting all of college football, was reading Florida State reddit and they are massively complaining about the DJ music, they called it kazoo music haha.

This ex-FSU band member said last year they were told 3rd down was DJ music only to hype up the team, I have to imagine our band is being told the same lies. These guys committed to Cal with its existing traditions, if they don't like em they can go elsewhere. The University throwing away Cal traditions should be a no go.

https://old.reddit.com/r/fsusports/comments/1f89fz6/weather_garrett_as_a_chief_last_year_it_was/
Again, one last time. I am a senior citizen and honestly I don't care what type of music is played. It can be ANYTHING, just think that it should not contain profanity, and most importantly, it should not be played at a volume so incredibly loud that a person has to struggle to have a conversation with the person sitting next to them. The type of music being played will not keep Cal football fans from attending, but an unreasonable volume may do so. It's as simple as that.
southseasbear
Golden One said:

TomBear said:

The Cal bench is now directly across from the student section, so the team has no problem hearing them. In fact, it may even be easier for the team to hear them now. The team just needs to start winning on a regular basis so that they can generate some enthusiasm among the students. Then you'll see the student section get louder so that the team (and the rest of the stadium) can clearly hear them.
I never had a problem hearing the SC band when they sat behind the south endzone. Did they mike their band? If so, could we do that?
Bobodeluxe
MinotStateBeav said:

bearsandgiants
Auburn is calling for all fans to wear white to the game, in the South, after Labor Day.
pingpong2
My two cents

Most (good) players want to play in the NFL, and most players want an NFL-type experience. I doubt most D1 players at any school could give two hoots about things like tradition. I'd honestly be surprised if the majority of them even know the words to their school's fight song.
Sonofoski
pingpong2 said:

My two cents

Most (good) players want to play in the NFL, and most players want an NFL-type experience. I doubt most D1 players at any school could give two hoots about things like tradition. I'd honestly be surprised if the majority of them even know the words to their school's fight song.
This isn't about what the players want, it's what CAL wants as a game experience for it's fans.
Larno
RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game
If the players's performance is dependent upon what pre game music is played then the football program is really in bad shape. Evidently it has become more important than the size of the crowd. If abnormally loud blaring music keeps fans from coming to the game I would think that would also alter player stimulation. No disrespect to the players but last time I checked it was the fans in attendance who pay to be there and pay some of the bills. I also am puzzled because the team played better in the second half without the benefit of an hours worth of music.
Perhaps it depends on who's selecting the music. At my local high school games I suspect the Boomers are in charge as all the pre-game music is classic rock.
Larno
southseasbear said:

Golden One said:

TomBear said:

I never had a problem hearing the SC band when they sat behind the south endzone. Did they mike their band? If so, could we do that?
The SC band, in addition to being large, is very heavy in brass, as are most bands that are not Cal. This has been discussed here before. For some reason Cal has trouble attracting enough brass players, and consequently are heavy in woodwinds which sound nice but are not very loud. Some bands are deliberately all brass and percussion.
pingpong2
Sonofoski said:

pingpong2 said:

My two cents

This isn't about what the players want, it's what CAL wants as a game experience for it's fans.
That's fine, but Cal fans aren't the only ones that the gameday experience needs to cater to. Players and recruits are arguably even more important, even in the NIL era. This is in response to the comment that players who don't care about "tradition" of the band should go elsewhere. Well, we'll end up with no players if that's the standard that we hold players to.
Big C
southseasbear said:

Golden One said:

TomBear said:

A marching band will sound the worst (mostly all drums and bass) when it is facing away from you. It will sound incrementally better the more it is facing you directly. I learned this in my Physics 21 (Physics of Music) class at Cal! The sounds from the higher instruments (like trumpet) are more "directional" than the lower sounds. Decades ago, I could even explain why this is!

Yes, the band can be miked. Sometimes there are delay problems and sometimes it doesn't sound like "live" music, but yes.
GMP
HoopDreams said:

There are several threads talking about the music (as there is every game/season) so I forget where I posted it…

But agree we should have more variety and not just type of music but music selection within a Genre

I complained about playing the generic stadium music too often (e.g. clap, clap your hands)

I went to a Giants game a couple weeks ago, and they put up on the video board 4 song options for everyone to vote on for a song they would play later in the game

It not only was a fun fan engagement thing and at least everyone felt they had a say

So many easy, creative, no/low cost to improve the game day experience

Cal has done this many times before.
82gradDLSdad
Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game
If the players's performance is dependent upon what pre game music is played then the football program is really in bad shape. Evidently it has become more important than the size of the crowd. If abnormally loud blaring music keeps fans from coming to the game I would think that would also alter player stimulation. No disrespect to the players but last time I checked it was the fans in attendance who pay to be there and pay some of the bills. I also am puzzled because the team played better in the second half without the benefit of an hours worth of music.
Perhaps it depends on who's selecting the music. At my local high school games I suspect the Boomers are in charge as all the pre-game music is classic rock.

It's right in the name ...classic rock. Is there a classic rap genre?
Sonofoski
pingpong2 said:

Sonofoski said:

pingpong2 said:

My two cents

That's fine, but Cal fans aren't the only ones that the gameday experience needs to cater to. Players and recruits are arguably even more important, even in the NIL era. This is in response to the comment that players who don't care about "tradition" of the band should go elsewhere. Well, we'll end up with no players if that's the standard that we hold players to.

Players are just passing through. CAL should have standards as to what the game day experience should be for those fans that pay the bills. The thought that CAL should cave to what players want
is tantamount to having no standards at all.
ducky23
82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Is there a classic rap genre?

Why yes. Yes there is.

Added bonus of having not 1 but 2 cal grads in the scene

82gradDLSdad
ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Larno said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

This one again?

Is there a classic rap genre?

Why yes. Yes there is.

Added bonus of having not 1 but 2 cal grads in the scene

I don't know enough about this entire scene or music to know if your post is a joke or serious. I'm not trying to be offensive either. I realize music like beauty is in the mind of the beholder. Thanks for the reply either way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.