Hey Dodgers Fans

tydog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842365803 said:

One of Bud Selig's many bad ideas.


I like the idea. Puts a premium on winning the division and adds an extra playoff team to both divisions.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842365803 said:

One of Bud Selig's many bad ideas.


I didn't like the extra wild card idea at first, but it has grown on me (and not just because the Gs are probably getting the second spot this year). I like the fact that winning the division is now much preferable to getting a WC spot. I remember in the early years of the WC (maybe 1996?), the Dodgers and Padres went into the last game of the season (against each other) tied for the NL West lead, with the loser being assured of the WC spot...they played the last game like a Spring Training game, getting all the September call-ups in and resting their starters.

One thing that I don't quite get is that almost everyone who discusses how a team really wants to win the division instead of getting a wild card spot focuses almost exclusively on the one-game feature of the wild card playoff...that's not what should make teams want to avoid it...they should want to win the division because doing so gives the team a bye past that first round of the playoffs...it wouldn't matter if the WC playoff were a one-gamer, a three-game series or a 9-game series. (I suppose one downside of the one-gamer is that you're guaranteed not to have your best pitcher start the LDS, but to me that's a relatively minor point.)
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fundamentally, I dislike any idea that adds more teams to the MLB playoffs. Making the playoffs in baseball was special because there were so few slots. I'm against any further dilution of that.

Making it a one-game round just makes the whole thing a mockery anyway. Anyone who watches baseball knows that one game doesn't tell you anything about any two teams. Even a seven-game series is too short to reveal who is really the best, but at least it's something.
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear;842365801 said:

Wildcard does suck doe. Just like Cal would have had a spot in 2004 if they had the extra BCS game like they do now, Gigantes would have wished for that 1 WC spot to get at least 3 playoff games. The stupid one game thing bites.


But we trail Pittsburgh by a game, and it's effectively two games because they have the tiebreak.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
grandmastapoop;842365811 said:

But we trail Pittsburgh by a game, and it's effectively two games because they have the tiebreak.


OK so it works out then kind of. So they need to save Bumgarner for a game at Pittsburgh on Monday, I suppose.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
grandmastapoop;842365811 said:

But we trail Pittsburgh by a game, and it's effectively two games because they have the tiebreak.


Under the old rules, there would have been a one-game playoff to get into the playoffs if the Giants and Pirates had tied for the wild card (ref. Giants-Cubs in 1998). Tiebreaker only enters into it if both teams are assured of making the postseason.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear;842365813 said:

OK so it works out then kind of. So they need to save Bumgarner for a game at Pittsburgh on Monday, I suppose.


If they're smart this will be the move. Pittsburgh's splits are way worse against left-handers this year, so it would seem a no-brainer to set up the rotation for Bumgarner to start.
GoldenBear76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Adrian The Cal Bear;841904132 said:

Vogelsong > Kershaw


This is now to be considered the most stupid and erroneous post in this entire thread. Even Bochy says Kershaw is the best player in MLB.
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldenBear76;842366001 said:

This is now to be considered the most stupid and erroneous post in this entire thread. Even Bochy says Kershaw is the best player in MLB.

Why you still mad bro?
GB54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842365816 said:

If they're smart this will be the move. Pittsburgh's splits are way worse against left-handers this year, so it would seem a no-brainer to set up the rotation for Bumgarner to start.


Still a possibility they play the Cards or-even better- loser of Cards-Pirates playoff.
goldenokiebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842365816 said:

If they're smart this will be the move. Pittsburgh's splits are way worse against left-handers this year, so it would seem a no-brainer to set up the rotation for Bumgarner to start.


And that's what they said they will do - Bumgarner vs. Pitt on Wednesday. That makes sense.
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Peavey > Kershaw?
tydog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS;842372539 said:

Peavey > Kershaw?


I think it is mental for Kershaw at this point. Greatest pitcher in the game and just gets shelled in the playoffs.

Loved seeing Puig strike out to end the game. That guys is such a POS.
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tydog;842372552 said:

I think it is mental for Kershaw at this point. Greatest pitcher in the game and just gets shelled in the playoffs.

Loved seeing Puig strike out to end the game. That guys is such a POS.


In their hubris, the Dodgers forgot that nothing is guaranteed. Not even Kershaw.
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS;842372553 said:

In their hubris, the Dodgers forgot that nothing is guaranteed. Not even Kershaw.


Wainwright also sucked. WTF was that all about?
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dimitrig;842372556 said:

Wainwright also sucked. WTF was that all about?


Playoff baseball. It's been crazy thus far.

Mad Bum and Peavey shutting it down. Go Giants!
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldenBear76;842366001 said:

This is now to be considered the most stupid and erroneous post in this entire thread. Even Bochy says Kershaw is the best player in MLB.


Vogelsong > kershaw

....................in the postseason

I'm just f'Ing with you dodgers fans. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
The dodgers probably still have a better chance of advancing than the giants, so relax.
davetdds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a Bonanaza!!! Whoops, wrong thread
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First, Giants win.

Then, Kershaw meltdown + Puig strikeout ends a Dodger loss = great day.

I'd also like to congratulate Don Mattingly on his successful Grady Little impersonation.
tc3590
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who would have thought a wainwright vs kershaw game would have a final score of 10-9
BeggarEd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS;842372557 said:

Playoff baseball. It's been crazy thus far.

Mad Bum and Peavey shutting it down. Go Giants!


Psst... only one "e" in Peavy
GRRAAH
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23;842372568 said:

Vogelsong > kershaw

....................in the postseason

I'm just f'Ing with you dodgers fans. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
The dodgers probably still have a better chance of advancing than the giants, so relax.


Big day for you guys. Bizarre day otherwise. We shall see what tomorrow holds!
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23;842372568 said:

Vogelsong > kershaw

....................in the postseason

I'm just f'Ing with you dodgers fans. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
The dodgers probably still have a better chance of advancing than the giants, so relax.



Nah. Giants need to win 2 out of 4 to advance. Dodgers need to win 3 out of 4. Big advantage for the Giants.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
grandmastapoop;842372650 said:

Nah. Giants need to win 2 out of 4 to advance. Dodgers need to win 3 out of 4. Big advantage for the Giants.


Also, Dodgers lost a home game and Giants won a road game.

But of course, these things can turn quickly in a short series.
Cal Panda Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842372654 said:

Also, Dodgers lost a home game and Giants won a road game.

But of course, these things can turn quickly in a short series.


Kershaw is horrible in the postseason. All this talk about him being the greatest pitcher blah blah blah... Don't matter when you can't help your team get a ring.
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
grandmastapoop;842372650 said:

Nah. Giants need to win 2 out of 4 to advance. Dodgers need to win 3 out of 4. Big advantage for the Giants.


Yeah I know. But didn't we learn anything about tempting the woofing gods last time?
rathokan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i'm surprised Mattingly didn't pull Kershaw... all those balls were getting hit straight on, not like there were any bloops or soft stuff getting by or lucky hits. also, feel free to change up those signs.

Never thought a game started by two 20-game winners would end up like that... maybe our date w/ WSU this weekend will be a defensive standoff.
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23;842372663 said:

Yeah I know. But didn't we learn anything about tempting the woofing gods last time?


Hey, I'm not tempting the woofing Gods. Just speaking statistically, the Giants face an easier road to advance.
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
grandmastapoop;842372674 said:

Hey, I'm not tempting the woofing Gods. Just speaking statistically, the Giants face an easier road to advance.


Of course thats true. But if the giants don't take care of things in 4, they have to go back to dc and beat Strasburg again.

And if cardinals can't take care of business, no matter kershaw's postseason record, I wouldn't want to have to beat him in a game 5.

So yes, both the cards and giants are in the drivers seat. But there's a lot of pressure to finish in 4 games.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kershaw is still the best player in the game. If he has another bad start in the playoffs though, will be hard to consider these last 2 playoff starts to be coincidences but right now that's what I think they are.

Giants still have a really tough road because we don't know what we will get from Hudson or Petit. I like this team though and enjoy watching them ply their craft whether they win or lose.

Would be a lot of fun if the Giants and Dodgers could match up in the NLCS.

I should also mention I love the new wildcard format because it forces the wildcard teams to burn their best pitcher which gives them a decided disadvantage in the DS. Previously the Giants were burned by the freaking Marlins who had a good team but not a particularly deep pitching staff. If you have two frontline starters and a decent third guy, you could go far in the playoffs but not necessarily be good enough to win your division. I think the new format really works due to the unique fact in baseball that pitchers need rest. If you are going to have a wildcard this is the way to do it.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kershaw is not the best player in the game. He is the best pitcher in the game. The reason is simple - he only plays in roughly 32 games a year. The best player (pick your favorite among any of the players at another position) plays in roughly 155-160.

Even Bob Gibson or Sandy Koufax in their prime weren't the best players in the game. That honor was reserved for guys like Mays and Aaron.
FiatSlug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23;842372678 said:

Of course thats true. But if the giants don't take care of things in 4, they have to go back to dc and beat Strasburg again.

And if cardinals can't take care of business, no matter kershaw's postseason record, I wouldn't want to have to beat him in a game 5.

So yes, both the cards and giants are in the drivers seat. But there's a lot of pressure to finish in 4 games.


If, if, IF! C'mon, ducky23, you should know better than to base an argument on contingencies that may never occur.

The Nats came back yesterday with 2 solo shots off of Hunter Strickland. But that doesn't negate the determination of the Giants to defeat he Nationals. The Nats will need better execution to defeat San Francisco. They'll also have to scrape their jaws off the floor to get back in this series.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rathokan;842372672 said:

i'm surprised Mattingly didn't pull Kershaw... all those balls were getting hit straight on, not like there were any bloops or soft stuff getting by or lucky hits. also, feel free to change up those signs.

Never thought a game started by two 20-game winners would end up like that... maybe our date w/ WSU this weekend will be a defensive standoff.


I was at the game. It was super hot and must have been in the 90s on the field. I noticed that his pre-game routine involved doing long toss from center field to the left field foul pole. It was quite amazing to me. He was throwing BBs too from that range. I wonder if that kind of stuff burns your arm a little. Amazing specimens these guys are. In any case, yes, Donny should have gotten Kersh, but even with a big money squad, you have a really dilapidated and unreliable bully. There really is only two dependable bullpen guys -- Kenley and JP Howell. That's it. Bringing anyone else in is an adventure. I hope Greinke bears down or else the series may be over.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess Ned Colletti doesn't subscribe to the theory developed by his old boss, Brian Sabean. Build your pitching staff from the bullpen back to the the starting staff rather than the other way around. The secret of the Giants success over the last five years has been their strong 'pen (combined with the best manager in the game - Bruce Bochy - a guy who understands how to use a bullpen effectively).
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FiatSlug;842372734 said:

If, if, IF! C'mon, ducky23, you should know better than to base an argument on contingencies that may never occur.

The Nats came back yesterday with 2 solo shots off of Hunter Strickland. But that doesn't negate the determination of the Giants to defeat he Nationals. The Nats will need better execution to defeat San Francisco. They'll also have to scrape their jaws off the floor to get back in this series.


Giants are huge underdogs today as the nationals are -225. For a playoff game, that's a huge number.

Giants will be favored in game 3 with bumgarner and then slight home underdogs in game 4 with vogelsong.

So vegas thinks it's going 5.

I know that the giants have a habit of beating vegas. And I am hoping like hell that the giants just take care of this in 3. But I'm a cal fan, I expect the worst.
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.