Hey Dodgers Fans

514,589 Views | 4372 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by GMP
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SRBear;842378074 said:

Congratulations Dodgers on keeping B Wheezy another year as he exercised his 9 million dollar option to stay with the team rather than test the free agent market.


:rollinglaugh:
YuSeeBerkeley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842377803 said:

I, of course, still don't believe this is true, but it's funny how this just keeps coming back. The Giants are trolling the baseball world.




Ok, I'll take my lumps. Congrats to the Giants on getting further than the Dodgers this year. But in the words of the Wolf in Pulp Fiction, Giants fans should not start sucking each other's [popsicles] just yet. Although, neither of the AL squads looks all that imposing, and the Cards, despite eliminating my beloved Dodgers, looked very beatable. I'm not sure if the Cards win a game in this series if the Dodgers merely had a mediocre manager as opposed to the epic disaster that's Mattingly.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YuSeeBerkeley;842378159 said:

Ok, I'll take my lumps. Congrats to the Giants on getting further than the Dodgers this year. But in the words of the Wolf in Pulp Fiction, Giants fans should not start sucking each other's [popsicles] just yet.


I'm not -- actually for me the Giants have already achieved what I'd wanted for this season, which was:

1. Make the playoffs.
2. Go further than the Dodgers, so I can talk smack about it on the Internet.

Done! The rest is gravy.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YuSeeBerkeley;842378159 said:

Ok, I'll take my lumps. Congrats to the Giants on getting further than the Dodgers this year. But in the words of the Wolf in Pulp Fiction, Giants fans should not start sucking each other's [popsicles] just yet. Although, neither of the AL squads looks all that imposing, and the Cards, despite eliminating my beloved Dodgers, looked very beatable. I'm not sure if the Cards win a game in this series if the Dodgers merely had a mediocre manager as opposed to the epic disaster that's Mattingly.


Will Donnie Baseball be back next year?
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842378162 said:

I'm not -- actually for me the Giants have already achieved what I'd wanted for this season, which was:

1. Make the playoffs.
2. Go further than the Dodgers, so I can talk smack about it on the Internet.

Done! The rest is gravy.



Woo!
Cal Panda Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842378162 said:

I'm not -- actually for me the Giants have already achieved what I'd wanted for this season, which was:

1. Make the playoffs.
2. Go further than the Dodgers, so I can talk smack about it on the Internet.

Done! The rest is gravy.



+1

With the lineup we have, Im surprised we even made it this far. I mean, for goodness sakes, GREGOR BLANCO/TRAVIS ISHIKAWA/JUAN PEREZ are playing.

Must say, Joe Panik is going to be special for us.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842378162 said:

I'm not -- actually for me the Giants have already achieved what I'd wanted for this season, which was:

1. Make the playoffs.
2. Go further than the Dodgers, so I can talk smack about it on the Internet.

Done! The rest is gravy.


I'll add:

3. Make sure this thread gets up to 2,000 posts as quickly as possible.
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86Oski;842378240 said:

I'll add:

3. Make sure this thread gets up to 2,000 posts as quickly as possible.


This thread has been delightful for so long. It just keeps getting better.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
grandmastapoop;842378249 said:

This thread has been delightful for so long. It just keeps getting better.


Seems to be better in even-numbered years so far...maybe that's just me.
Cal_Fan2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Adrian The Cal Bear;842377800 said:

I just think it's hilarious seeing the timeline of Dodger fans thinking they're the best team ever, how they are just that much more awesome than the Giants, and how Kershaw is the greatest ever.

Greatest ever means winning a title. Kershaw has yet to do that. Don't ever call him GOAT again until he gets a ring.


I'm not a Giants or Dodgers fan, but what I find more hilarious is that you started this thread, and then slinked away to not comment for 1800 posts because you were shown to be totally wrong...then the first chance you get to rub it in, your come back as if nothing happened in between.
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal_Fan2;842378261 said:

I'm not a Giants or Dodgers fan, but what I find more hilarious is that you started this thread, and then slinked away to not comment for 1800 posts because you were shown to be totally wrong...then the first chance you get to rub it in, your come back as if nothing happened in between.


Dude, that's the awesome part. Revenge is best served cold.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal_Fan2;842378261 said:

then the first chance you get to rub it in, your come back as if nothing happened in between.


Well . . . yeah.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal_Fan2;842378261 said:

I'm not a Giants or Dodgers fan, but what I find more hilarious is that you started this thread, and then slinked away to not comment for 1800 posts because you were shown to be totally wrong...then the first chance you get to rub it in, your come back as if nothing happened in between.


While I agree with the general notion that if you're going to be a good sport about (mostly) good-natured ribbing/trash talking, you need to show up to the thread in good times and in bad, I will point out that this is hardly the first chance the OP has had to rub it in. Since this thread started, the Gs won a WS...also, he could have been rubbing it in back in June when the Gs were 9 games up on the Dodgers. (Lord knows NYCGOBEARS and I were trying to do that back then...and look where that got us.)

Anyway, I resolved not to do too much gloating today and just enjoy however long the Gs can keep this thing going. As part of that resolution, I promised myself that I would NOT, under any circumstances, post this picture:



Remarkable restraint on my part, I think.
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86Oski;842378271 said:







Hehe. Nice one, 86.
Cal_Fan2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86Oski;842378271 said:

While I agree with the general notion that if you're going to be a good sport about (mostly) good-natured ribbing/trash talking, you need to show up to the thread in good times and in bad, I will point out that this is hardly the first chance the OP has had to rub it in. Since this thread started, the Gs won a WS...also, he could have been rubbing it in back in June when the Gs were 9 games up on the Dodgers. (Lord knows NYCGOBEARS and I were trying to do that back then...and look where that got us.)

Anyway, I resolved not to do too much gloating today and just enjoy however long the Gs can keep this thing going. As part of that resolution, I promised myself that I would NOT, under any circumstances, post this picture:



Remarkable restraint on my part, I think.



LOL.....now that's funny, especially considering I'm an A's fan. They need that warning on the A's team photo.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BTW, I can't take credit for the picture. A buddy saw it online and emailed it to me. It's beyond my capabilities to do even a simple photo edit like that...I barely figured out how to post it.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86oski;842378271 said:



remarkable restraint on my part, i think.


lololol
Adrian The Cal Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal_Fan2;842378261 said:

I'm not a Giants or Dodgers fan, but what I find more hilarious is that you started this thread, and then slinked away to not comment for 1800 posts because you were shown to be totally wrong...then the first chance you get to rub it in, your come back as if nothing happened in between.


TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kudos to the Giants for making it through when it counts. They've earned my respect and congratulations, as I vomit slightly in my mouth. That said, doesn't much still depend in how you define success? Would you rather have a Cal team that won that Pac-12 in hoops and departed from the NCAA Tourney early on? Or a team that didn't win the conference but made a nice, little run in the tourney? I'd say that unless you made the Final 4, I'd rather have the conference championship. So I'll take a NL West title (again) for the Dodgers over, let's say, a NLCS loss for the Giants assuming for a moment the Cards win. Maybe I'm just rationalizing here. Ha.
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily;842378607 said:

Kudos to the Giants for making it through when it counts. They've earned my respect and congratulations, as I vomit slightly in my mouth. That said, doesn't much still depend in how you define success? Would you rather have a Cal team that won that Pac-12 in hoops and departed from the NCAA Tourney early on? Or a team that didn't win the conference butt made a nice, little run in the tourney? I'd say that unless you made the Final 4, I'd rather have the conference championship. So I'll take a NL West title (again) for the Dodgers over, let's say, a NLCS loss for Thr Giants assuming for a moment the Cards win. Maybe I'm just rationalizing here. Ha.


I don't blame you but you are just rationalizing. The Giants are still playing in October. There's nothing bigger or better than that. Thanks for the congrats. That's big of you.
SoCalBear323
How long do you want to ignore this user?
@Adrian The Cal Bear

Let's talk about the time you unwittingly posted a thread about some weird guy who was ragging on Cal in some random forum. Then a bunch of BI posters, with some simple googling, found pics of the disgruntled Bruin fan and his GF and had a field day clowning the fvck outta them. Then you come back and cry for the thread to be deleted because it was your bro and his wife and don't post after that for like 2 years. That was funz.
Adrian The Cal Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SoCalBear323;842378614 said:

@Adrian The Cal Bear

Let's talk about the time you unwittingly posted a thread about some weird guy who was ragging on Cal in some random forum. Then a bunch of BI posters, with some simple googling, found pics of the disgruntled Bruin fan and his GF and had a field day clowning the fvck outta them. Then you come back and cry for the thread to be deleted because it was your bro and his wife and don't post after that for like 2 years. That was funz.


What are you talking about? I never started such a thread. That thread was started from my brother trying to troll all of us with some stupid Lupoi joke. You guys began ragging on him (rightfully so) and I didnt mind until you guys took things to another level and began attacking my sister-in-law (who is a proud Cal alum and a huge donor to our school BTW). That was when I finally jumped in and requested for the thread to be deleted. What do you expect anyone else to do?

Since this topic keeps coming up, I stopped posting on BI under this account, not because of that incident, but because a) it has my real name in it (which was dumb on my end), b) people knew I posted on this site and began approaching me about it since this is a free public board, c) I had just graduated and was looking for a job (wanted to keep my tracks clean), and d) I got a subscription for my other account here. Needless to say, this thread became pretty popular not only here but around the CFB sports forum world. So I decided it was in my best interest while I was unemployed to stop posting under this name.

Are you Dodger fans really that butt hurt that a troll thread like this ended up turning out to be true? That your greatest of all time pitcher simply failed?

Funny how this thread which was an obvious troll job by me in the beginning ended up becoming such a popular thread here. I, like many other baseball fans, realize that Kershaw is definitely the best in the game right now. That being said, hearing the nonstop posts about how Kershaw is the GOAT (something LA fans love to do with regarding their star players...even when it's not true), how the Dodgers were going to run train on the Giants and win WS left and right, and etc - I just had to deliver a last laugh under this name when my little troll statement ended up being somewhat true. Chill out, it's a rivalry.


FWIW I've posted on this thread on numerous occasions with my other acct. And while I spend more time on another board because I find the fans to be a little more realistic (or more Negabear) like me, I still check in here and there on this board.

So do I pass the "Y U STOP POSTING ON THIS BOARD" test? Can we go back to talking about Vogey > Kershaw ?
tc3590
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kershaw chokes worse than Lebron use to choke.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily;842378607 said:

Kudos to the Giants for making it through when it counts. They've earned my respect and congratulations, as I vomit slightly in my mouth. That said, doesn't much still depend in how you define success? Would you rather have a Cal team that won that Pac-12 in hoops and departed from the NCAA Tourney early on? Or a team that didn't win the conference but made a nice, little run in the tourney? I'd say that unless you made the Final 4, I'd rather have the conference championship. So I'll take a NL West title (again) for the Dodgers over, let's say, a NLCS loss for the Giants assuming for a moment the Cards win. Maybe I'm just rationalizing here. Ha.


I guess the answer is that people often define success in whatever way makes them feel best. For the Dodgers, maybe you define success as not losing any games after October 7th. For the Giants, success would be another world series ring, and each series win is something to celebrate. We weren't able to celebrate a division title, but we have been able to enjoy a wildcard win and a division series win, and we're still playing. And as long as we're discussing rationalization, aren't the Giants in the final 4? Or does this mode of rationalization extends to Pac-12 conference titles but not baseball? Last time I checked there were only 3 other teams playing ...
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily;842378607 said:

Maybe I'm just rationalizing here. Ha.


Yes, yes you are.

But seriously . . . I think if I were in Dodger fans' position I would not particularly celebrate an NL West title. As a Giant fan I think I was in the same position in 2003. Yes, the NL West title was nice that year, but what we really wanted was to win the World Series. The disappointment was in not even making out of the Division Series. I didn't really care about the division title.

However, in 1997? Hell yes I was happy about winning the division, because the team hadn't had one of those since 1989. It had been a while. Same applies when Cal basketball fans were really happy about winning the regular-season Pac-10 title in 2009, because it had been a long time since we'd won the conference. If we were winning conference titles regularly (say we were Duke or something) it wouldn't mean that much -- the tourney would matter a lot more. You want what you can't have.

So for Dodger fans I'd think that winning NL West titles would be old hat. You've gotten them in 2014, 2013, 2009, 2008, and 2004. What I'd really want is that elusive World Series title (or at least an appearance), which hasn't happened since 1988. But that's just me -- maybe Dodger fans are generally satisfied with the team's recent success?
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey;842378758 said:

Yes, yes you are.

But seriously . . . I think if I were in Dodger fans' position I would not particularly celebrate an NL West title. As a Giant fan I think I was in the same position in 2003. Yes, the NL West title was nice that year, but what we really wanted was to win the World Series. The disappointment was in not even making out of the Division Series. I didn't really care about the division title.

However, in 1997? Hell yes I was happy about winning the division, because the team hadn't had one of those since 1989. It had been a while. Same applies when Cal basketball fans were really happy about winning the regular-season Pac-10 title in 2009, because it had been a long time since we'd won the conference. If we were winning conference titles regularly (say we were Duke or something) it wouldn't mean that much -- the tourney would matter a lot more. You want what you can't have.

So for Dodger fans I'd think that winning NL West titles would be old hat. You've gotten them in 2014, 2013, 2009, 2008, and 2004. What I'd really want is that elusive World Series title (or at least an appearance), which hasn't happened since 1988. But that's just me -- maybe Dodger fans are generally satisfied with the team's recent success?


The Dodger fans I know certainly aren't happy with just winning the division. When you layer the now 26-year (25-season, excluding 1994) WS drought on top of the fact that the Dodgers have always been (IMO) the biggest of big-market teams (b/c they don't really share LA with another MLB team) and at least very recently have had the highest payroll in all of MLB, the expectations for most fans are much higher.

That said, any Giant fan of a reasonably long tenure is more than familiar with WS droughts...heck, LA isn't even halfway to the Giants' 55-season (again, excluding 1994) drought between WS titles...and for much of that time, there were far fewer teams than there are now (only 16 in the first few years of that period).

I agree with Souse that one can define success a number of ways. Even if you take the "only WS titles count" position, you still have to settle on a timeframe. Going back to 1958 is as reasonable of a time period as any (though certainly not the only reasonable timeframe), and the Giants still have some catching up to do. I grew up in the 70s, and the Gs were so bad for most of that decade that most Dodger fans didn't consider the Giants to be the Dodgers' main rival -- it was the Big Red Machine.

It will be a very interesting offseason for the Dodgers....B-Weezy said thank you very much for the $9.5 million option. Contract decision on Hanley Ramirez looms and they obviously need help in the bullpen. I'm a little worried that Sergio Romo may find his way to LA...that would certainly be a good pickup for them for someone to handle the 8th inning. Here's an AP article on the subject of the Dodgers' off-season that was in the Chron today:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Another-long-winter-for-the-Dodgers-5810766.php
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86Oski;842378788 said:

That said, any Giant fan of a reasonably long tenure is more than familiar with WS droughts...heck, LA isn't even halfway to the Giants' 55-season (again, excluding 1994) drought between WS titles...and for much of that time, there were far fewer teams than there are now (only 16 in the first few years of that period).


Oh sure, but of course that is part of my point. I know what it's like when the shoe is on the other foot -- being a Giants fan around 2003-2004 was an exercise in frustration, knowing they had a team that was good enough to win it all, but just couldn't get over the hump (and it had been the same way in the 60s!). It must feel similarly to be a Dodgers fan now, though perhaps not quite as frustrating since a 25 year drought is not as long as 50 years.
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This idea that the Giants fans should look past our success to the team's failures in the 70's is absurd. The team's history of haplessness is a big part of the reason it's so great to be a Giants fan now. I wasn't around in the 70's, but the Giants have been my team for as long as I have known what baseball is. I cheered them on at candlestick in the 80's and 90's. I wear the legacy of the Giants world series drought proudly. It's over now, just like some day the Cal football conference championship drought will be over (excluding 2006 which sucked because we didn't get to the Rose Bowl).

Again, this isn't just posturing. It's especially relevant as Cal fans. Would you be happy with a rose bowl this year or would you listen to some jerkoff fan from another team who says "yeah, but it's been so long since you've been there, this doesn't erase your terrible history." Guess who some of you dodgers fans sound like right now?

We Giants fans are proud to have broken through after years of failure and we're justifiably excited about our team and its recent performance. Having tons of success in the past is great to look back on, but lacking that history makes present successes that much sweeter. When Cal finally breaks through and wins the conference and goes to whatever bowl the conference champion goes to, I'm going to be celebrating and loving every minute and I won't have any negative thoughts about the fact that it took so long to get there. I'm sure when we do, some clown from Washington or UCLA will point out that they went to the Rose Bowl a few times in the distant past (but less distant past than us). Good for them and good for you. Celebrate the fact that the Dodgers won a world series 26 seasons ago, and leave us Giants fans to enjoy our 2 out of the last 4.
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks;842379002 said:

This idea that the Giants fans should look past our success to the team's failures in the 70's is absurd.


That's certainly not what I was suggesting by my post. These past five seasons have been great for Giants' fans, and the more recent results are always going to be accorded more weight than those of the distant past. I was just saying it's not unreasonable for someone to say that, on the whole, LA has been a more successful franchise than SF over the close to 60 years they've been here on the Left Coast. If that's too obvious a point to make, then I would respond that I specialize on stating the obvious!

Of course, it's just as reasonable to look back over the last 20 years or so and say the Gs have been the more successful franchise. I love the fact that the Gs have been to four WS since the Dodgers' last appearance, and have the chance to make it five in the coming week.

GO GIANTS!
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From twitter:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: #Rays’ Friedman going to #Dodgers. Colletti remaining as senior advisor. Announcement imminent.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86Oski;842382217 said:

From twitter:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: #Rays’ Friedman going to #Dodgers. Colletti remaining as senior advisor. Announcement imminent.


This is great news! Although I hope he's not like Paul Depodesta who was a nerdy disaster. Colletti will now be doing what Buh does, which is something unknown.

Ned is gone - hooray!
86Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A friend who frequents MLB message boards told me that Colletti was known as "Secret Agent Ned" on the Dodgers' board during the early part of his tenure as Dodger GM -- the implication being that he was still working for the Giants to bring the Dodgers down. I don't know if he still has that nickname.
rathokan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buh bye Ned
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
86Oski;842382224 said:

A friend who frequents MLB message boards told me that Colletti was known as "Secret Agent Ned" on the Dodgers' board during the early part of his tenure as Dodger GM -- the implication being that he was still working for the Giants to bring the Dodgers down. I don't know if he still has that nickname.


More like Ned Flanders. Some horrific all-time deals were made by him: Schmidt, Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre. He got lucky with Manny for a year and a half. The Red Sox deal was pretty good, but Guggenheim had to back that with money for aging free agents. Gonzo has been mostly terrific. Beckett had a good quarter of a season. Crawford has been inconsistent, aging and oft-injured, but lately has been good (but he's still trending downward). I do have to compliment him for picking up Justin Turner LOL. We haven't landed a lights out middle-relief guy in ages. 40 year old Jamey Wright was Ned's answer this season. Our other go-to guys were Wilson and League. Ugh.
beelzebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
F*ckin' can't trust any Giant retreads...glad Ned is gone.

BTW, the only team hotter than the Gigantes are the Royals and those lads are due.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.