Hey Dodgers Fans

994,004 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Big C
GB54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A staggering stat.

#Nationals Bryce Harper Last 190 PA: 11 HR #Angels Mike Trout Last 190 PA: 11 HR #SFGiants Madison Bumgarner Last 190 PA: 11 HR
NYCGOBEARS
GB54;842697537 said:

A staggering stat.

#Nationals Bryce Harper Last 190 PA: 11 HR #Angels Mike Trout Last 190 PA: 11 HR #SFGiants Madison Bumgarner Last 190 PA: 11 HR

Mad Bum is just amazing.
BearDevil
With Pence out for two months, Giants need another OF. Don't need a big $ player (Braun, Kemp), but a short contract like Josh Reddick or Jeff Francouer might work. Jay Bruce would be a compromise.

Cueto, Bum, Shark look good, but may need another reliever at the trading deadline.
SRBear
Casilla....ugh.
NYCGOBEARS
Thank goodness for this game tonight. It'll help to take my mind off the horror of Orlando. Go G Men!
Big C
Just got back from AT&T: Nice game! Plus, my 7 yr old got to run around the bases afterwards. GEEZ, when I was a kid, I always dreamed of going on the field. I almost went with him...

Haven't been following baseball too closely yet this year, what with the Warriors and I've been busy with work. What ever happened to the Dodgers billion dollar roster?!? I hadn't even heard of most of the guys they trotted out there. Okay, so I knew one because he's Klay Thompson's brother, but...

Wow, there was a noticeable hooligan element out there, too. Heavy-set guys in their 20s, sporting their colors and basically looking for trouble. Seeing anybody in Dodger gear still gives me a visceral negative reaction in my gut ("hated" the Dodgers about 10 yrs before I started "hating" Stanfurd), but, at this point, I can't even muster up a "Beat LA!".
BearDevil
Big C_Cal;842700580 said:

Wow, there was a noticeable hooligan element out there, too. Heavy-set guys in their 20s, sporting their colors and basically looking for trouble.

Used to go to Giants/Dodgers games at Candlestick in the '80s all the time. There were four or five flights in the bleachers every game. AT&T atmosphere is significantly more tame, particularly at Dodgers game.

Have seen fights at NFL games and near riots at European soccer, but the worst sports hooligism was at Giants/Dodgers games at the 'Stick and 'SC football games in LA. 'SC hanger ons would deliberately bump/run into Cal fans looking to start fights.
sycasey
Big C_Cal;842700580 said:

Haven't been following baseball too closely yet this year, what with the Warriors and I've been busy with work. What ever happened to the Dodgers billion dollar roster?!? I hadn't even heard of most of the guys they trotted out there. Okay, so I knew one because he's Klay Thompson's brother, but...

They've really been underachieving badly this year. As a Giants fan this both delights me (as it has allowed the Giants to take a lead in the division) and also terrifies me (because I know the Dodgers could turn it around at any time).
oski003
Lots of injuries and overpaid players. FYI, their payroll is only about 35% higher than the Giants. It is very high but so is SF.

Anyway, it seems that Cueto was a good signing, and the Giants are the team to beat in the NL West. Even if the Dodgers were healthy, the Giants are probably a better team at the moment.
Big C
BearDevil;842700584 said:

Used to go to Giants/Dodgers games at Candlestick in the '80s all the time. There were four or five flights in the bleachers every game. AT&T atmosphere is significantly more tame, particularly at Dodgers game.

Have seen fights at NFL games and near riots at European soccer, but the worst sports hooligism was at Giants/Dodgers games at the 'Stick and 'SC football games in LA. 'SC hanger ons would deliberately bump/run into Cal fans looking to start fights.

Oh yeah, I'll never forget my first Giants-Dodgers game, about 50 yrs ago: Two guys got in a fight about 20 seats away from us. Punches were thrown and one guy hit the other with a 1/2 pint booze bottle. There was blood. I was like ???!!!???

It seems a little different now. I saw LOTS of Dodger gear, way more than I ever remember seeing, and small groups of guys (wearing either Giants or Dodgers gear), all fitting basically the same description: Neither white nor black, very heavy set, ages maybe 18-30, seemingly just walking around looking for trouble. It was worse outside the park after the game. Some Dodgers guys asked me if I knew what bars to go to and directions. I was nice, but I had the distinct impression that, had I even mentioned the game, they were going to try and start something... with a guy almost twice their age holding hands with his 7 yr old son!
NYCGOBEARS
Rumor is that the Giants are trying to pick up Ryan Braun. Interesting...
BearDevil
Big C_Cal;842700697 said:

Oh yeah, I'll never forget my first Giants-Dodgers game, about 50 yrs ago: Two guys got in a fight about 20 seats away from us. Punches were thrown and one guy hit the other with a 1/2 pint booze bottle. There was blood. I was like ???!!!???

It seems a little different now. I saw LOTS of Dodger gear, way more than I ever remember seeing, and small groups of guys (wearing either Giants or Dodgers gear), all fitting basically the same description: Neither white nor black, very heavy set, ages maybe 18-30, seemingly just walking around looking for trouble. It was worse outside the park after the game. Some Dodgers guys asked me if I knew what bars to go to and directions. I was nice, but I had the distinct impression that, had I even mentioned the game, they were going to try and start something... with a guy almost twice their age holding hands with his 7 yr old son!

Was a year or two older than your son when my dad took me to a Niners game at Kezar. Was pissed when my dad abruptly announced we were leaving near the end of the third quarter. My dad calmly explained empty beer bottles bring thrown in our section was a slight problem. Can't imagine what my mom would have done had I been clocked with a beer bottle,

Saw a 35 year old guy sporting a toy Dodgers helmet get a face full of what we assumed was urine in the Candlestick bleachers in the '80s. Pro sports crowds have always been rougher than college sports crowds, but does seem like there are more roving bands as described in/around games now. Definitely drunks, fights, and mayhem back in the day, but seemed more spontaneous rather than sought out like in the last 10 years or so.
sycasey
oski003;842700659 said:

Anyway, it seems that Cueto was a good signing, and the Giants are the team to beat in the NL West. Even if the Dodgers were healthy, the Giants are probably a better team at the moment.

The funny thing is that I don't even feel like the Giants have been all that good this year. Hunter Pence is gone for 2 months. A bunch of hitters have been sub-par compared to what was expected of them (Posey, Panik, Span, Duffy). The bullpen has been disastrous and also hurt by the injury to Romo. In the starting rotation, Bumgarner and Cueto are trustworthy, but past that -- Samardzija is decent but uneven and then it's a big old question mark.

And yet, they are up by 5 games. It's been weird.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey;842700708 said:

And yet, they are up by 5 games. It's been weird.

I think it's misleading because we've already played the Padres like 15 times so far. Or at least it seems like that. In reality we're actually 9-0 against the Padres, and just 29-26 against everyone else.
BearDevil
NYCGOBEARS;842700699 said:

Rumor is that the Giants are trying to pick up Ryan Braun. Interesting...

Doesn't make much sense for either team. Pence is a year older than Braun, and both have big contracts with a lot of years left on them. Didn't end well with Aaron Rowand.

Brewers would have to eat a ton of salary and not demand top level prospects for a deal to work for SF. Giants have their core of Bum, Posey, Crawford, Pence, and Belt tied up long term. Probably lose Cueto early, cut Cain loose at the end of his contract, so they need at least one more front line starter soon and can't have too much money tied up in Braun.

Have several more years in contention and keeping prospects extends their reign. Brewers could extract more from older fading teams.

Belt may eventually move to the OF when Posey moves to first and they don't need three old OFs when none can play CF. May need a short term rental for Pence, but need to go younger in the OF.
NYCGOBEARS
BearDevil;842700734 said:

Doesn't make much sense for either team. Pence is a year older than Braun, and both have big contracts with a lot of years left on them. Didn't end well with Aaron Rowand.

Brewers would have to eat a ton of salary and not demand top level prospects for a deal to work for SF. Giants have their core of Bum, Posey, Crawford, Pence, and Belt tied up long term. Probably lose Cueto early, cut Cain lose at the end of his contract, so they need at least one more front line starter soon and can't have too much money tied up in Braun.

Have several more years in contention and keeping prospects extends their reign. Brewers could extract more from older fading teams.

Belt may eventually move to the OF when Posey moves to first and they don't need three old OFs when none can play CF. May need a short term rental for Pence, but need to go younger in the OF.

Your reasoning is sound but if they think they can bring home another title this season, that may enter into their thinking.
GMP
Unit2Sucks;842700725 said:

I think it's misleading because we've already played the Padres like 15 times so far. Or at least it seems like that. In reality we're actually 9-0 against the Padres, and just 29-26 against everyone else.

And those don't count? Giants aside, the Padres are 26-29, which is mediocre but not in the territory that wins against them should be discounted.
sycasey
grandmastapoop;842700769 said:

And those don't count? Giants aside, the Padres are 26-29, which is mediocre but not in the territory that wins against them should be discounted.

I also looked at the schedule, and it appears the Dodgers have played the Padres just as many times. So that's no excuse for being 5 games back.
Unit2Sucks
The padres must be psychologically scarred from being no hit by JSanchez because seems like we've owned them since then.

I take your points though and surprises that the Dodgers have played them just as many times.

The point remains though, we are dominating the Padres and treading water against everyone else so that could explain why someone would be surprised by our record despite not seeming to be a dominant team.

Season is quite young as well.
JollyBear
grandmastapoop;842700769 said:

Pads are 26-20 against every team not named "Giants."
GMP
JollyBear;842700813 said:

Pads are 26-20 against every team not named "Giants."

They're now 26-39 after a loss tonight. That's 26-30 vs non-Giants.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks;842700787 said:

The padres must be psychologically scarred from being no hit by JSanchez because seems like we've owned them since then.

Not to mention twice by Lincecum. And this was during a time when Lincecum kind of sucked and couldn't beat anybody else!
MinotStateBeav
Good time to bring this back up here....
Kershaw on the DL..
http://espn.go.com/losangeles/mlb/story/_/id/16644872/los-angeles-dodgers-obtain-right-hander-bud-norris-clayton-kershaw-placed-dl-back-injury

Hot weather, traffic...the clippers..now this...how much pain can you Angelino's take!!!??
KoreAmBear
MinotStateBeav;842705167 said:

Good time to bring this back up here....
Kershaw on the DL..
http://espn.go.com/losangeles/mlb/story/_/id/16644872/los-angeles-dodgers-obtain-right-hander-bud-norris-clayton-kershaw-placed-dl-back-injury

Hot weather, traffic...the clippers..now this...how much pain can you Angelino's take!!!??

Well it wasn't like the Doyers were tearing it up, but yah, it will suck without Kersh. If they could just take care of the bad teams like the Brewers, it may be OK if and when Clayton comes back. Let's go A's! Let's go Marcus Semien. Sweep dem Gigantes!
NYCGOBEARS
KoreAmBear;842705168 said:

Well it wasn't like the Doyers were tearing it up, but yah, it will suck without Kersh. If they could just take care of the bad teams like the Brewers, it may be OK if and when Clayton comes back. Let's go A's! Let's go Marcus Semien. Sweep dem Gigantes!

A's been putting an ass whooping on my boys.
OldBlue1999
I thought Peavy was gonna go out into left field and strangle that clown last night.
MinotStateBeav
and the Lakers just paid John Koncak..ermm I mean Timofey Mozgov a 4 year 64 mil dollar deal...lol...sorry..this is OT within an OT ;p. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16661921/timofey-mozgov-los-angeles-lakers-talks-four-year-64-million-deal
KoreAmBear
NYCGOBEARS;842705175 said:

A's been putting an ass whooping on my boys.

Marcus Semien has put himself in a position where he could be a borderline ASG call up. The problem is that there are so many good SSs in the AL.
NYCGOBEARS
KoreAmBear;842705342 said:

Marcus Semien has put himself in a position where he could be a borderline ASG call up. The problem is that there are so many good SSs in the AL.

I dunno, that .246 BA is a killer. Otherwise, I agree.
KoreAmBear
NYCGOBEARS;842705343 said:

I dunno, that .246 BA is a killer. Otherwise, I agree.

Yes that's the downfall (two bad the scorer didn't count two error 3 baggers as triples - he could be over .250). Tulo was in the hunt and his batting average sucks.
NYCGOBEARS
Hey KAB, sucks about Kershaw. That's gotta put a damper on your hopes for another NL West title, huh?
KoreAmBear
NYCGOBEARS;842705345 said:

Hey KAB, sucks about Kershaw. That's gotta put a damper on your hopes for another NL West title, huh?

We'll see how long he is out. If we can just play above .500 ball until he comes back, we could be in decent shape for the WC. I was thinking of conceding the title until the A's series. We'll see how Bud Norris is doing. Silver lining is the play of youngsters Seager (wow) and Trayce Thompson (thank you White Sox). Urias is starting to feel comfortable too. Still a lot of baseball to be played.
philbert
It's the AAA Dodgers starting pitching vs. the AAA Giants lineup at the moment. Who can tread water the best while waiting for the injured to come back?

Will LA let Urias go past his preset innings limit this season? They might shut him down in July unless they've changed their minds.
bonsallbear
I blameBuh and Dodgers management. Kente Maeda is the only starter they have. Giants will win the division by 15 games.
KoreAmBear
bonsallbear;842705358 said:

I blameBuh and Dodgers management. Kente Maeda is the only starter they have. Giants will win the division by 15 games.

I wish the Giants would play the A's every day.
First Page Last Page
Page 74 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.