Hey Dodgers Fans

995,229 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Big C
Cal8285
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

Don Newcombe died today. Baseball fans everywhere mourn his passing. He was a tremendous player and a true pioneer. My condolences to all Dodger fans.
Especially condolences to fans of Don Newcombe's actual Dodgers' teams. Yeah, he played a year for LA, but he was never an LA Dodger, he was a Brooklyn Dodger. Being a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers was more like being a Cal fan (or a San Francisco Giants fan) than being a New York Giants (or Yankees) fan, or being an LA Dodgers fan. Being an LA Dodgers fan is more like being a Yankees fan than being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.

The true Brooklyn Dodgers fans could never stay Dodgers fans after the move to LA. I have known some who became SF Giants fans, as much as they didn't like the NY Giants. Just a different vibe after the move west.

And Don Newcombe was a great Brooklyn Dodger. RIP.
71Bear
Cal8285 said:

71Bear said:

Don Newcombe died today. Baseball fans everywhere mourn his passing. He was a tremendous player and a true pioneer. My condolences to all Dodger fans.
Especially condolences to fans of Don Newcombe's actual Dodgers' teams. Yeah, he played a year for LA, but he was never an LA Dodger, he was a Brooklyn Dodger. Being a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers was more like being a Cal fan (or a San Francisco Giants fan) than being a New York Giants (or Yankees) fan, or being an LA Dodgers fan. Being an LA Dodgers fan is more like being a Yankees fan than being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.

The true Brooklyn Dodgers fans could never stay Dodgers fans after the move to LA. I have known some who became SF Giants fans, as much as they didn't like the NY Giants. Just a different vibe after the move west.

And Don Newcombe was a great Brooklyn Dodger. RIP.
To the contrary, he was a Dodger. He worked for the Dodgers in Los Angeles for over 30 years. He was a true blue. As noted, I am a baseball fan. I follow the Giants but that doesn't preclude me from respecting guys like Newcombe, a Hall of Famer, who was a pioneer and a person who successfully battled alcoholism and helped others face their demons as well.
KenBurnski
The Giants' president is addicted to candy crush saga and will strongly defend his right to play.
ducky23
KenBurnski said:

The Giants' president is addicted to candy crush saga and will strongly defend his right to play.

Our fellow alum isn't having a good day today, that's for sure

I've actually chatted with him at various cal games, he seems like a good dude
bearister
ducky23 said:

KenBurnski said:

Our fellow alum isn't having a good day today, that's for sure

I've actually chatted with him at various cal games, he seems like a good dude

Probably another old guy that doesn't understand the cloud and a special pic intended for someone else ended up on her phone.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Yogi58
Can we start a political argument in this thread so that it will get locked too?
oski003
Bad stuff happens when your family finds out the team you run has supplanted San Diego as the laughing stock of the NL West.
oski003
sycasey
As we should have with the video of the guy being punched in Sproul Plaza, might be best to step back and wait for more detail on this one.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ColoradoBear
Yogi Bear said:

Can we start a political argument in this thread so that it will get locked too?

This thread is actually pretty great as an example on how things should work around here. Have a baseball comment, put it here.

Don't start a new thread.

Was actually impressed there were no new threads about the Harvard business school grad Giants CEO who pushed his wife to the ground in SF.

Someone had the foresight to post in here and should be commended not chastised. Just IMO.
TheSouseFamily
I lived through the McCourts and Ned Colletti. No way I'm gonna I'm start putting digs in on the Giants leadership team.
tequila4kapp
TheSouseFamily said:

I lived through the McCourts and Ned Colletti. No way I'm gonna I'm start putting digs in on the Giants leadership team.
I had purged those names and years from my memory.
KenBurnski
Sorry in advance, Yogi.

Bizarro Goff is pitching for the Giants tonight
Yogi58
KenBurnski said:

Sorry in advance, Yogi.

You know, I probably didn't watch an hour cumulatively of the Giants last year, so I kinda missed Holland's rookie campaign (which was unusually good for a really bad team). I was kinda thinking he had a it of an Atlee look to him. Also thought it was amusing that Mulholland and Holland both wore 45.
GMP
I wish we could play the Dodgers every day. 42-40 since 2015.
GMP
Yogi Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

Sorry in advance, Yogi.

You know, I probably didn't watch an hour cumulatively of the Giants last year, so I kinda missed Holland's rookie campaign (which was unusually good for a really bad team). I was kinda thinking he had a it of an Atlee look to him. Also thought it was amusing that Mulholland and Holland both wore 45.

You know Holland is like a ten year vet? Derek Rodriguez (Pudge's kid) was the surprising rookie.
Yogi58
GMP said:

Yogi Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

Sorry in advance, Yogi.

You know Holland is like a ten year vet? Derek Rodriguez (Pudge's kid) was the surprising rookie.
Clearly not. The Giants are a lot like men's basketball under Wyking. I'm vaguely aware of their existence.
GMP
Yogi Bear said:

GMP said:

Yogi Bear said:

KenBurnski said:

Sorry in advance, Yogi.

Clearly not. The Giants are a lot like men's basketball under Wyking. I'm vaguely aware of their existence.
I thought maybe I was missing some vague joke. Holland came up with the Rangers in 2009, and started a game against the Giants in the 2010 World Series. He spent one season with the White Sox before coming to the Giants last year.
bonsallbear
Well.....8.5 games back! Dodgers were in the same place this time last year. The Giants can turn it around. Can't they?
71Bear
bonsallbear said:

Well.....8.5 games back! Dodgers were in the same place this time last year. The Giants can turn it around. Can't they?
Not this year...

ducky23
bonsallbear said:

We're a little too busy right now with the dubs and sharks. But thanks for checking in. Feel free to holler back when you guys can actually win a title.
GRRAAH
bonsallbear said:

I think we should put a poll up on how many games they'll lose by. I'd say over/under about 35. Fun to watch
sycasey
Will the Dodgers visit Trump's White House after winning the division again? Tough call for those guys.
bonsallbear
Rhu > Vogelsang
ducky23
GMP
sycasey said:

Will the Dodgers visit Trump's White House after winning the division again? Tough call for those guys.
Did they have an NL Champs ring ceremony again?
rathokan
bonsallbear said:

Rhu > Vogelsang
Haha, you beat me to it.

Ryu has been incredible... and that play by Bellinger to preserve the no no in the ~6th was also incredible.

Previous outing Ryu had a complete game shutout on only 93 pitches.
GRRAAH
Woefully pathetic Giants 14 games out and still days until May is complete. Fun times indeed at China Basin yet again.
GMP
GRRAAH said:

Woefully pathetic Giants 14 games out and still days until May is complete. Fun times indeed at China Basin yet again.

You wouldn't understand this, but while this time is not fun, I'd take 15 years of this - more, even - for those three titles. This is the price paid for those great times. And I'll continue to rub your 30 years (and counting) of failure in your faces.
GRRAAH
I know you are miserable with another hopeless season poops and that makes it much more enjoyable.
GMP
GRRAAH said:

I know you are miserable with another hopeless season poops and that makes it much more enjoyable.

Joke is on you, though. I always look for the silver lining: tickets are dirt cheap! I got three World Series runs, and now I get to take my kids to games and get good seats without spending a lot. Suck it.
GBear4Life
Giants made their bed, now they're lying in it. Obvious rebuild a few years ago, decided to do patch work with aging, underachieving and overpaid veterans. Now their veterans are past the point of getting any notable return in a trade.

Meanwhile the A's have won 10 in a row with a bunch of scraps.
sycasey
Yes, pretty much all Giants fans knew that the long rebuild was coming. There is new management in place, so just need to see how their plan works out.

And yes, getting those three titles was absolutely worth it.
GBear4Life
Rebuilding 3 years ago wouldn't have been at the expense of 3 titles ending in 2014.
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.