Hey Dodgers Fans

996,113 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Big C
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Credit where credit is due. As a response to the "Go Get it out of the Ocean" shirt, this is a solid comeback.

chazzed
The Giants are tuuurrible. Their offense is just plain anemic, much like ours.
rathokan
wow can't remember the last time I saw Mad Bum get beat up like this. Now Muncy at the plate with them loaded.
TheSouseFamily
Had I been in Chavez Ravine tonight as he was getting pulled for probably the last time in a Dodger/Giant game, I would have given him an earnest standing ovation. He's easily the best Giant villain in the rivalry since Bonds, and rivalries need villains. Yes, I was also amused by the fact that flies and gnats were swarming his face because he probably hasn't showered in a week and smells like a rotting horse. But I have plenty of respect for the guy (and yes, his rings) and for his contributions to the rivalry. I wish for one more Puig/Bumgarner at-bat, as two guys who couldn't be any more different. And glad he got lit up on the way out.

But a legend in Dodger-Giant lore. Tip of the cap to you Madison, you snot-rocket hurling, smelly hillbilly.
oski003
giants are doing dodgers a huge favor by being so bad that the dodgers can give joe kelly a few innings to see if he can turn his season around.
bonsallbear
Kelly not needed tonight.
Losing rich Hill for a few weeks will hurt.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

Had I been in Chavez Ravine tonight as he was getting pulled for probably the last time in a Dodger/Giant game, I would have given him an earnest standing ovation. He's easily the best Giant villain in the rivalry since Bonds, and rivalries need villains. Yes, I was also amused by the fact that flies and gnats were swarming his face because he probably hasn't showered in a week and smells like a rotting horse. But I have plenty of respect for the guy (and yes, his rings) and for his contributions to the rivalry. I wish for one more Puig/Bumgarner at-bat, as two guys who couldn't be any more different. And glad he got lit up on the way out.

But a legend in Dodger-Giant lore. Tip of the cap to you Madison, you snot-rocket hurling, smelly hillbilly.

Great post, Souse. May the rivalry never die.
bonsallbear
Well that was close
oski003
yeah, tonight sborz, recalled from aaa, got a shot.
sycasey
MadBum is looking like he's into his decline phase. Happens to everyone.
82gradDLSdad
sycasey said:

It's hard to remember a successful team that had such a large percentage of its stars go down the toilet at the same time. The Giants need to replace almost their entire team.
sycasey
82gradDLSdad said:

sycasey said:

It's hard to remember a successful team that had such a large percentage of its stars go down the toilet at the same time. The Giants need to replace almost their entire team.

The Phillies saw something similar happen after 2010.
bonsallbear
Any chance the Giants trade Bum to the Dodgers? He and Muncy could become good friends.
sycasey
bonsallbear said:

Any chance the Giants trade Bum to the Dodgers? He and Muncy could become good friends.

The Dodgers probably don't want to downgrade their rotation.
oski003
he would help the bullpen.
sycasey
oski003 said:

he would help the bullpen.

They do seem to need help there.
CALiforniALUM
sycasey said:

He's not likely to change his game either. He is a red state Republican. To the grave.
bonsallbear
Walter Buehler complete game with 16 Ks against best hitting team in the National League. Pretty impressive
bonsallbear
Incredible! Dodgers sweep Rox with three walkoff homers from............. ROOKIES!
Another Bear
bonsallbear said:

SFGate sports mentioned today Bum's trade value is declining. Giants waited too long to unload him.
bonsallbear

Just in case you missed it.
sycasey
Another Bear said:

bonsallbear said:

SFGate sports mentioned today Bum's trade value is declining. Giants waited too long to unload him.

At this point it may not even be worth it to trade him. Whatever they can get in a trade now would probably not be anyone who will help them win 2 or 3 years from now.
GRRAAH
After last nights 5 consecutive walk victory...another Magical win keyed by 2 mammoth Cody B HRs!

Giants still within 20... congrats to them!
bonsallbear
GRRAAH said:

After last nights 5 consecutive walk victory...another Magical win keyed by 2 mammoth Cody B HRs!

Giants still within 20... congrats to them!
5 straight walkoffs happy fourth everyone. Be sure to watch the parade tomorrow
bonsallbear
Bellinger. Now with 30 Home runs before the All-Star break. Better get him tested for PEDS
bonsallbear
Dave Roberts does it again. Brings in Pedro Baez who promptly gives up two homers. Way to go Dave.
GMP
Rumors of the Giants' demise have been greatly exaggerated. 21-15 since June 1 (on their way to 22-15, up 16-0 today), just a game behind LAD in that time, and 4th best in the NL.

Farhan working his magic, getting sparks from guys like Dickerson, Yastremzki, and Donovan Solano. The team may have even forced Farhan to keep Bumgarner, as they will be only 4 GB of the Wild Card after this afternoon's game.

I know there's not a team the Dodgers would like to face in the NLDS less than SF.

TheSouseFamily
No doubt. If the Giants get hot and go on a 30+ game winning streak, they're right back in the division race.
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

No doubt. If the Giants get hot and go on a 30+ game winning streak, they're right back in the division race.
LOL. We don't need to win the division to make the playoffs. You can hang another division championship banner. Do the players have a ring ceremony for that, too?
KoreAmBear
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

LOL. We don't need to win the division to make the playoffs. You can hang another division championship banner. Do the players have a ring ceremony for that, too?
Love the Pavlovian response to every Dodger post GMP and others. Love you guys!
GMP
KoreAmBear said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Love the Pavlovian response to every Dodger post GMP and others. Love you guys!
Ha. What's a rivalry without some banter? In fairness to me, I laughed at (and even defended!) Muncy's ocean line to Bum.

But really, if you hadn't been paying attention to the Giants sneaking up the Wild Card standings. It's like a brand new team over the last six weeks, and more so over the last two:

On their way to winning 9 of 11.
TheSouseFamily
Serious question for you, GMP. If you're Farhan, do you hold out hope for a possible wild card bid or do you start to sell off guys with value like Bumgarner, Smith, etc to build a stronger team In the future? If i'm a Giants fan, I think I'd strongly prefer to be in selling mode. And there isn't a ton of time to make that decision.
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

Serious question for you, GMP. If you're Farhan, do you hold out hope for a possible wild card bid or do you start to sell off guys with value like Bumgarner, Smith, etc to build a stronger team In the future? If i'm a Giants fan, I think I'd strongly prefer to be in selling mode. And there isn't a ton of time to make that decision.
I'm certainly not buying. I wouldn't mortgage the future, with a suddenly promising farm system. I'd sell the bullpen guys I can replace quickly. They have a lot of confidence in the bullpen guys in AAA - guys like Selman.

But I'd actually hold Bumgarner unless someone blows you away with an offer, which I don't see happening. The Ringer did an interesting article this year about trading a star for prospects - the historical numbers are not great for the team trading for prospects. Highly rated traded prospects significantly underperform compared to highly rated prospects who are not traded while still a prospect. As the team trading for prospects, you're at a severe information disadvantage when compared to the team trading their prospects.

(here's the article: https://123sports.net/2018/12/14/1-2-3-sports-week-of-december-14-2018/ - I do have some problems with their methodology, but I think the overarching conclusions are worth considering)

In other words - I have serious doubts we'd get anything worthwhile in return for Bumgarner, who will be a two month rental. He's only 28, and there's sentimental value to keeping him. We are 4 games out of the Wild Card. That's not a lot, though there are a number of teams we need to jump. I think it's worth keeping him. And then if he leaves as a FA this winter, we'll get a first round compensatory pick, which might even have more value than we'd get for him with a trade.

As for what Farhan will do, the team will need to keep winning the next two weeks. But if they do, I think he follows my plan as laid out above. Before the season he said the goal was to remain in contention as long as possible. You don't do that by trading Bumgarner from a team who is a couple games out of the Wild Card. You could do that by trading the high value bullpen guys (Smith, Watson, Moronta, Dyson) if you think you have the talent at AAA to restock immediately.
oski003
Maybe the players think they'd be traded from the dumpster fire if they played better. That's a huge motivation.
Cal8285
A big question is whether getting prospects is better than getting a compensatory pick. and the information disadvantage is something to take into consideration.

Based on what happened with Keuchel and Kimbrell, I have to think it will be better for Bumgarner's free agent prospects to get traded so that his suitors will not lose a draft pick. But better for the Giants? Not so sure.

I agree they should not (and will not) be buyers (unless the "buy" makes sense in the long run and not just the short run). If things keep up like they have been over the last month and a half, I'm not sure they are going to sell, either, unless the sell makes sense in both the long run and the short run.
First Page Last Page
Page 115 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.