Hey Dodgers Fans

995,779 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Big C
GB54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ducky23;842120819 said:

The Bay Area is not what Boston was a few years back, but if you are talking about right now, no area comes close.

World Series. Super Bowl appearance. Warriors and sharks both in 2nd round. Even a's looking good.

C'mon name another area that can compete.

I can't wait until they raise the "First Round Playoff Winner" flag at Oracle next year.
Unit2Sucks
YuSeeBerkeley;842120811 said:

I like how all of a sudden, because the Giants won the last two out of three World Series, that Bay Area people are acting like it's Titletown, USA. Relax guy. The Warriors have a long way to go to catch up to the 16 titles held by the Lakers. The Dodgers will be back with new ownership. The NFL...well, at least we no longer have the Raiders.

I'm embarrassed for you - you sound like an SC fan. So your argument is that bay area people shouldn't be happy at their sports teams' current and recent relative success vs. the past? And that LA fans should be proud of their history and future (but not present)?

To put it in perspective - let's do a little thought experiment. Let's say SC goes 4-8 next year and then 5-7 in 2014 and we go 8-4 and then 11-1 and win the rose bowl. As a Cal fan I will be ecstatic with that scenario. The SC fans will probably say something just like you said: "blah blah blah we used to win championships and we will in the future and you have a lot of catching up to do."

Eff that. I don't care about all the other teams in the world. I'm cheering on the Warriors in the second round tonight, the defending world champion giants tonight and in the fall I'll be rooting for the defending NFC champs and the (hopefully ascendant) Bear Raid. I don't think I have to apologize to anyone for that, regardless of where it stacks up with other people's expectations. If you're happy being smug about the history and supposed future - more power to you. I'm living in the moment right now and loving every minute of it.

GB54;842120830 said:

I can't wait until they raise the "First Round Playoff Winner" flag at Oracle next year.

Quoted because this is hilarious and apropos. We can hang it right next to the Cal football flag for being the #1 ranked college football team for 23 minutes in 2007.
sycasey
ducky23;842120819 said:

The Bay Area is not what Boston was a few years back, but if you are talking about right now, no area comes close.

World Series. Super Bowl appearance. Warriors and sharks both in 2nd round. Even a's looking good.

The Sharks aren't in the second round yet . . . wouldn't wanna jinx 'em.
YuSeeBerkeley
ducky23;842120819 said:

Patting yourselves on the back over a second round appearance? That's pretty pathetic.
liverflukes
YuSeeBerkeley;842120876 said:

Patting yourselves on the back over a second round appearance? That's pretty pathetic.

Is your surname Yu? You're relatively new to this board so I thought I'd ask. You also seem to relish confrontation with other Bears so I just want to make sure you are not the legendary "Yu" from Pacific Palisades. If you are, it's cool...I'm from So. Cal. Thanks in advance.
liverflukes
Well? I'm still waiting Yu.
sycasey

The Lakers would love to have one this year.
ducky23

Lol. You are an awful troll.

The nba playoffs is the after dinner mint after the World Series and the Super Bowl. The NHL playoffs is the double tissue toilet paper I use to wipe my ass after the wonderful meal.

You didn't answer my question. What city/area can compete with the Bay Area right now?
YuSeeBerkeley
liverflukes;842120883 said:

Is your surname Yu? You're relatively new to this board so I thought I'd ask. You also seem to relish confrontation with other Bears so I just want to make sure you are not the legendary "Yu" from Pacific Palisades. If you are, it's cool...I'm from So. Cal. Thanks in advance.

Not from the Palisades, and I have no idea who this legendary "Yu" is whom you speak of.
YuSeeBerkeley
sycasey;842120896 said:

The Lakers would love to have one this year.

Nope. We don't put up banners for getting past the first round. Championship or bust. This year was a bust. Hopefully, next year won't be.
sycasey
YuSeeBerkeley;842120918 said:

Nope. We don't put up banners for getting past the first round. Championship or bust. This year was a bust. Hopefully, next year won't be.

None of this reply makes sense. The Lakers fans don't care about advancing this year because of championship banners from previous years?

Poor troll. 3/10
YuSeeBerkeley
ducky23;842120908 said:

The nba playoffs is the after dinner mint after the World Series and the Super Bowl. The NHL playoffs is the double tissue toilet paper I use to wipe my ass after the wonderful meal.

You didn't answer my question. What city/area can compete with the Bay Area right now?

Compete with one title? Miami, LA, and Baltimore. Easy. The Bay Area has exactly one team that's accomplished anything, and it's in the third most popular sport. 7 vs. 10. That's the ratings the World Series got versus the NBA Finals. Who's the troll? Go bother people on the Duck board. This is Bear territory.
YuSeeBerkeley
sycasey;842120919 said:

None of this reply makes sense. The Lakers fans don't care about advancing this year because of championship banners from previous years?

Poor troll. 3/10

This goes back to that whole "patting yourselves on the back for making it to the second round" comment. I get that you wouldn't understand, especially if you're used to rooting for the Warriors.
ducky23
YuSeeBerkeley;842120925 said:

Compete with one title? Miami, LA, and Baltimore. Easy. The Bay Area has exactly one team that's accomplished anything, and it's in the third most popular sport. 7 vs. 10. That's the ratings the World Series got versus the NBA Finals. Who's the troll? Go bother people on the Duck board. This is Bear territory.

Miami dolphins, marlins.
LA angels/dodgers (lol). Lakers (lollol). Oops no football team
Baltimore orioles (not bad), no other pro sports unless you count wizards, nats, redskins, etc

I call bs that you are a cal student/ alum. If you're going to troll, do it well.
Cal Panda Bear
YuSeeBerkeley;842120927 said:

This goes back to that whole "patting yourselves on the back for making it to the second round" comment. I get that you wouldn't understand, especially if you're used to rooting for the Warriors.

This is exactly why people say some LA fans are the worst. Nobody cares about your history. We are talking present - the Bay Area is the best sports area in the nation currently. All of our teams are clicking. Sure, only one team has won it all, but to say it doesnt matter? Come on now...

I like the $C vs Cal comparison. If LA was in the Bay's position, we would hear it all day about how LA is the best town in the world. It's part of sports.

Troll some other thread.
ducky23
YuSeeBerkeley;842120925 said:

Btw if you were an actual cal fan, you would have seen my sig pic and figured out I am not an Oregon duck fan.
sycasey
YuSeeBerkeley;842120927 said:

Still not making any more sense.
OneKeg
ducky23;842120932 said:

Miami dolphins, marlins.
LA angels/dodgers (lol). Lakers (lollol). Oops no football team
Baltimore orioles (not bad), no other pro sports unless you count wizards, nats, redskins, etc

I call bs that you are a cal student/ alum. If you're going to troll, do it well.

Baltimore no other sports teams? Ravens? Champions in the most popular sport?

But yeah the whole LA "we're so cool, just look at our past championships, your recent success is nothing unless you win a championship, how lame that you enjoy it" routine is weak. Smacks of anger and denial. A bit like UW fans talking about James era.

It's true many (not all) bay area fans hate LA teams. But I think LA fans are fooling themselves if they think there isn't a strong current of reverse antipathy against 'NoCal' in LA. Some of it is even evident in this thread, though the LA fans involved would deny it. And from what I've seen, both areas have plenty of good fans that love their teams but respect the rivalries.

The fact is, it's an excellent overall multi-sport rivalry between two sports-rich metropolitan areas, the fun of which is sometimes lost on the rest of the country because of ESPN's east coast lens.

Enjoyable thread though!

Go Bears.
GB54
ducky23;842120908 said:

Right now is a pretty narrow definition if you are really counting works in progress as superiority. The only real measure is a title or competing for a title.

In the last three years, LA has two titles in two sports, Dallas has one title and two championship finalists. San Francisco has two titles in one sport and one finalist. Boston has one title and one finalist. If you go back five years give LA another title
YuSeeBerkeley
ducky23;842120936 said:

Btw if you were an actual cal fan, you would have seen my sig pic and figured out I am not an Oregon duck fan.

if you're not a duck fan, that is absolutely the worst handle ever.
YuSeeBerkeley
Cal Panda Bear;842120933 said:

This is exactly why people say some LA fans are the worst. Nobody cares about your history. We are talking present - the Bay Area is the best sports area in the nation currently. All of our teams are clicking. Sure, only one team has won it all, but to say it doesnt matter? Come on now...

I like the $C vs Cal comparison. If LA was in the Bay's position, we would hear it all day about how LA is the best town in the world. It's part of sports.

Troll some other thread.

Check the title of the thread. It's not "Hey Giants fans, let's get in one giant circle jerk." It's "Hey DODGERS fans." How am I being a troll by responding to a thread addressed to me? The OP was asking to be brought down a peg.
YuSeeBerkeley
OneKeg;842120944 said:

But yeah the whole LA "we're so cool, just look at our past championships, your recent success is nothing unless you win a championship, how lame that you enjoy it" routine is weak. Smacks of anger and denial. A bit like UW fans talking about James era.

It's true many (not all) bay area fans hate LA teams. But I think LA fans are fooling themselves if they think there isn't a strong current of reverse antipathy against 'NoCal' in LA. Some of it is even evident in this thread, though the LA fans involved would deny it. And from what I've seen, both areas have plenty of good fans that love their teams but respect the rivalries.

The fact is, it's an excellent overall multi-sport rivalry between two sports-rich metropolitan areas, the fun of which is sometimes lost on the rest of the country because of ESPN's east coast lens.

Enjoyable thread though!

Go Bears.

You're acting like LA is some championship starved city clinging to glories from some bygone era, but the Kings are defending champs. Plus, it's only been three seasons since the Lakers came off back to back titles. You're darn right I have the right to say pipe down to Warriors fans jizzing themselves over a second round berth. But yes, I respect the Dodgers, Giants rivalry. Both fan bases have proud traditions, and Giants fans definitely have bragging rights at the moment.
CalBear68
YuSeeBerkeley;842120968 said:

if you're not a duck fan, that is absolutely the worst handle ever.

Yu -- You're digging yourself a hole here and revealing yourself as a troll because of your lack of knowledge of Cal sports.
NYCGOBEARS
YuSeeBerkeley;842120973 said:

You're acting like LA is some championship starved city clinging to glories from some bygone era, but the Kings are defending champs. Plus, it's only been three seasons since the Lakers came off back to back titles. You're darn right I have the right to say pipe down to Warriors fans jizzing themselves over a second round berth. But yes, I respect the Dodgers, Giants rivalry. Both fan bases have proud traditions, and Giants fans definitely have bragging rights at the moment.

Rivalries are fun. Smack talking in a respectful way is fun. Reading your posts is not fun. You are confrontational, disrespectful, churlish and defensive and not only in this thread.
CalBear68
liverflukes;842120883 said:

OK, 'flukes, would you care to share your story with the rest of the class?

I'm a getting a bit intrigued now, especially since that poster "Yu" is beginning to emerge here as a troll.
liverflukes
CalBear68;842120981 said:

OK, 'flukes, would you care to share your story with the rest of the class?

I'm a getting a bit intrigued now, especially since that poster "Yu" is beginning to emerge here as a troll.

There is no story. It was a ruse intended to lure out a suspected furd or fucla troll.
ducky23
liverflukes;842120985 said:

There is no story. It was a ruse intended to lure out a suspected furd or fucla troll.

I think we should start asking Yu cal trivia questions (kinda like getting into clash of clans) to see if he's legit. I'll start.

Who was Jason kidd's best friend on the team? (That's an answer that is pretty common knowledge amongst cal fans - but something you can't google)
Unit2Sucks
liverflukes;842120985 said:

I think he's more likely to be an SC troll. It sounds great to say that the only thing that counts is championships, but that's what players are supposed to say, not fans. Stating the obvious: we don't play the game. Fans show up, get excited, cheer on the players and are supposed to enjoy the process. Being a fan of a perennial winner doesn't make you any better of a fan than cheering for a loser. I have more respect for Brewers fans than Yankees fans.
ducky23
OneKeg;842120944 said:

Sorry for the confusion, it only makes sense if you wade through the whole thread. I was naming all the other teams from those cities other than the title winning team to show that the giants title is supported by other successful teams (unlike other cities)
OneKeg
YuSeeBerkeley;842120973 said:

Where on earth did I say LA is championship-starved? If you look, you'lI see I iimplied just the opposite (sports-rich).
YuSeeBerkeley
CalBear68;842120979 said:

Yu -- You're digging yourself a hole here and revealing yourself as a troll because of your lack of knowledge of Cal sports.

I'll readily admit that I don't know everything Cal sports related, particularly events that took place prior to my attendance, but that's a pretty serious leap in logic to assume that that makes me a troll. I dormed in Unit 3, Priestley my freshman year. I lived in an apartment next to the Foothill dorms on Ridge Road my sophomore and junior year. I lived at Parker and Ellsworth my senior year. I had season tix for football all four years and suffered through the Holmoe 1 win season. The highlight of that season was a dog show during halftime where these two dogs tracked down a bunch of frisbees to the crowd's delight. The micman even came out and requested that we give our team at least half the enthusiasm we gave to those dogs. Yes, I'm from SoCal and root for the Dodgers and Lakers, but guess what? There's a lot of people who graduated from Cal who are from LA who probably do the same. Doesn't make us trolls.
YuSeeBerkeley
OneKeg;842121010 said:

Where on earth did I say LA is championship-starved? If you look, you'lI see I iimplied just the opposite (sports-rich).

Now, these are your words: "But yeah the whole LA "we're so cool, just look at our past championships, your recent success is nothing unless you win a championship, how lame that you enjoy it" routine is weak. Smacks of anger and denial. A bit like UW fans talking about James era."

You're comparing LA fans to Udub fans talking about something that happened over two decades ago.
NYCGOBEARS
YuSeeBerkeley;842121025 said:

There's a lot of people who graduated from Cal who are from LA who probably do the same. Doesn't make us trolls.

Finally, you've written something I can agree with. Unfortunately, your delivery in general leaves much to be desired. Just because you went to Cal, it doesn't mean you aren't a troll. That's more disturbing.
YuSeeBerkeley
NYCGOBEARS;842121035 said:

Finally, you've written something I can agree with. Unfortunately, your delivery in general leaves much to be desired. Just because you went to Cal, it doesn't mean you aren't a troll. That's more disturbing.

I think you're being a little hard on me. I did say earlier that both Dodgers and Giants fan have proud traditions, that I respect the rivalry, and that Giants fans have bragging rights at the moment. Let's just wait for the football season to come around when we're all on the same side, again.

For the record, I love the Bay Area. Loved my time up there, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back if the right opportunity arose. I've even attended my fair share of Giants games, and it wasn't always when the Dodgers were in town. And I'll admit that the garlic fries at the stadium just taste better than anywhere else.
KoreAmBear
liverflukes;842120894 said:

Well? I'm still waiting Yu.

Friggin last place in the NL West.

This has been a nightmare since around the All-Star break last year. The first half of the season last year was just too perfect: Matty going crazy, Dodgers overachieving, etc. Then it's like they turned into a pumpkin and it hasn't stopped. Wait, dems Giants colors. First thing is to get rid of Ned. Signing fatboys Andruw Jones and then Juan Uribe to lucrative contracts are Exhibits A and B for why he has to go. Bailing the Red Sox and Marlins out of crazy contracts for has-beens are just supporting documentation. I know Guggenheim put him up to it, but use your brain Ned. *sigh*
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.