Possible game cancellation due to Smoke?

14,665 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pierrezo
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sp4149 said:

oskidunker said:

Cal is proving once again that all that matters is the money. And THEY are probably being intimidated by Larry Scott.
Or memories of Southern Miss. Cal's shot at the Rose Bowl was lost when they decided not to travel because of a Category 5 hurricane in the Gulf. Southern sports writers roasted the bears for their unilateral decision to stay home, made without consulting Southern Miss first. At the time it was perceived as an insult to the Southern Football culture. At the end of the season Cal barely missed out to Texas; it only took a couple of writers dropping the Bears down a spot in the rankings; there were probably dozens.

If WSU doesn't travel today because of the smoke; I bet it won't affect their ranking, times have changed. just to late for Cal's chance at the Rose Bowl.

Was this unilateral? Wasn't that during Katrina? I have to go back to the history books and look......

And yes, they should cancel the games. I am not sure how bad it is but I do know that when San Diego got hit by the Witch Creek Fire (the first really bad one) we had to vacate to Vegas for like 3 days because I couldn't stand how bad the smoke was when it got into the trees up around Julian. I feel for you guys up north. Stay safe.
TheFiatLux
BeggarEd said:

WSU Athletics Twitter account seems to be posting about upcoming game like it's business as usual. I haven't seen any real speculation that the game might be cancelled anywhere other than here.

I think unless the AQI is 200+ at game time, kickoff will proceed as normal:

Quote:

Member schools should consider modifying or canceling outdoor athletic events (practices and competitions) in accordance with AQI guidance. Exposure should be managed more conservatively for student athletes with pre-existing pulmonary or cardiac conditions, which may exacerbate the complications of these conditions and could lead to an acute medical emergency. Specifically, schools should consider removing sensitive athletes from outdoor practice or competition venues at an AQI over 100. At AQIs of over 150, all athletes should be closely monitored. All athletes should be removed from outdoor practice or competition venues at AQIs of 200 or above.

- From: http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/air-quality

Actually, UCB cancels practice at 150. The idea one needs to be in the "extreme" condition to make the decision is ridiculous (imho)
OldenBear
Cancel? CANCEL??? Come on .... adapt, improvise, overcome. This is Cal, after all ....

sycasey
BeggarEd said:

WSU Athletics Twitter account seems to be posting about upcoming game like it's business as usual. I haven't seen any real speculation that the game might be cancelled anywhere other than here.

I think unless the AQI is 200+ at game time, kickoff will proceed as normal:

Quote:

Member schools should consider modifying or canceling outdoor athletic events (practices and competitions) in accordance with AQI guidance. Exposure should be managed more conservatively for student athletes with pre-existing pulmonary or cardiac conditions, which may exacerbate the complications of these conditions and could lead to an acute medical emergency. Specifically, schools should consider removing sensitive athletes from outdoor practice or competition venues at an AQI over 100. At AQIs of over 150, all athletes should be closely monitored. All athletes should be removed from outdoor practice or competition venues at AQIs of 200 or above.

- From: http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/air-quality

I would bet those Twitter posts are scheduled ahead of time and don't necessarily reflect whatever last-minute decisions might be made. Their existence doesn't mean a whole lot.

That said, I also suspect the game will proceed as planned.
sp4149
socaltownie said:

sp4149 said:

oskidunker said:

Cal is proving once again that all that matters is the money. And THEY are probably being intimidated by Larry Scott.
Or memories of Southern Miss. Cal's shot at the Rose Bowl was lost when they decided not to travel because of a Category 5 hurricane in the Gulf. Southern sports writers roasted the bears for their unilateral decision to stay home, made without consulting Southern Miss first. At the time it was perceived as an insult to the Southern Football culture. At the end of the season Cal barely missed out to Texas; it only took a couple of writers dropping the Bears down a spot in the rankings; there were probably dozens.

If WSU doesn't travel today because of the smoke; I bet it won't affect their ranking, times have changed. just to late for Cal's chance at the Rose Bowl.

Was this unilateral? Wasn't that during Katrina? I have to go back to the history books and look......

And yes, they should cancel the games. I am not sure how bad it is but I do know that when San Diego got hit by the Witch Creek Fire (the first really bad one) we had to vacate to Vegas for like 3 days because I couldn't stand how bad the smoke was when it got into the trees up around Julian. I feel for you guys up north. Stay safe.
Katrina was the next year and it was the first hurricane in history to inflict damage on the Southern Miss campus. The year before Southern Miss had stated that hurricanes had never made it to the Southern Miss campus and there was no danger. Katrina forced Southern schools to rethink their hurricane protocols. But the year before the hurricane missed and the game would have not been impacted and Cal was not forgiven for snubbing their hosts. When Cal announced to the media that they were postponing their trip/game at SM, I think media was informed before Southern Miss officials. However justified Cal was, they handled it poorly and Southern Miss didn't deserve such shabby treatment. The Advocate in Baton Rouge (LSU, Southern) criticized Cal, it was a regional insult, not confined to Mississippi.
sp4149
The air quality seems to have been worse in the morning, improving throughout the day. At 5PM today the Air Quality Index was down to 62 at the Berkeley Marina. Unless there is a massive change, a night game on Friday should not be a problem.
JadenceBear
sp4149 said:

The air quality seems to have been worse in the morning, improving throughout the day. At 5PM today the Air Quality Index was down to 62 at the Berkeley Marina. Unless there is a massive change, a night game on Friday should not be a problem.

Where are you getting that info? I'm not aware of any site (E.G., airnow.gov or baaqmd.gov) that publishes data so quickly (you posted 7 minutes after 5pm)? The data I've seen is always at least an hour behind and usually 2-3 hours behind.
Alkiadt
Game was never going to be cancelled.
Evening levels are more than acceptable.
WSU is already here.

Stop the hysteria.
oskidunker
Let us know how you feel on Saturday.
sycasey
sp4149 said:

I haven't seen the data, but just based on my layman's observation the air quality definitely improved a lot after 5pm. Seems to be the pattern, which means a night game is no problem.
bearister
https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/berkeley-ca-94704

Tomorrow's forecast: 158 Unhealthy ( which is what it is at 5:52 pm now)
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearlyCareAnymore
sp4149 said:

If you look at the realtime map of AQI, you will see that the east bay waterfront has much less pollution. It is in green while Cal and most of the east bay is in red meaning over 150. There is no data for the zip code at campus but the site directed to an Oakland zip code which had an AQI of 158 at 5:00. Again at 5:00 the Cal campus was red (been red all day) meaning over 150.
bencgilmore
http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=21004627

espn report on conditions, fyi
BearChemist
sp4149 said:

Still 160 at zip 94703 and the bay view was not great from Berkeley hills right now.
BearlyCareAnymore
SadbutTrue999 said:

So they spelled it out to the reporter that they will play unless AQI hits 200, but safety is the biggest concern. So at no point this week was the air too unsafe to play this game even though schools have closed and people have been warned to stay indoors, and we've all experienced what an AQI of less than 200 can be like.

Again, I think based on the pattern that has been occurring that air quality will be bad but good enough to play, but using an AQI of 200 is a travesty. I love the "Yes, it is 155 now and ash is falling on my head, but it is safe to play according to Cal and the Pac-12" report.
bencgilmore
OaktownBear said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

So they spelled it out to the reporter that they will play unless AQI hits 200, but safety is the biggest concern. So at no point this week was the air too unsafe to play this game even though schools have closed and people have been warned to stay indoors, and we've all experienced what an AQI of less than 200 can be like.

Again, I think based on the pattern that has been occurring that air quality will be bad but good enough to play, but using an AQI of 200 is a travesty. I love the "Yes, it is 155 now and ash is falling on my head, but it is safe to play according to Cal and the Pac-12" report.
she was pretty clear that it sucks.

it should be postponed. **** the friday revenue.
pingpong2
This is an email that the school sent out today:

"Dear Campus Community,

The smoke from the North Bay fires has caused our local air quality to worsen over the last several days, and it will likely stay poor through the weekend. To limit exposure indoors, University Health Services (UHS) is advising all building windows remain closed.

In addition, Facilities is assessing the operational impacts of shutting down air-handling units in buildings that have this capability. Where feasible, this action may be taken to reduce the amount of outside air that is being delivered."

So it's bad enough that ventilation is being reduced, but a football game still go on? Makes sense.
Alkiadt
oskidunker said:

I feel fine, as I have been in a fire zone defending property for the last two days.
Thankfully we were spared.

As for Saturday, this is no worse than going to a game at the LA Coliseum in the 1960's, which I did on more than one occasion, and I'm fine.
72CalBear
Depending on the winds of course, the fires could in fact increase as has been noted by CalFire. Could that not also increase problems with air quality regardless of what the measure is now??
BeggarEd
AQI at Berkeley Aquatic Park station down to 74 as of 5pm tonight. That is well into the "moderate" zone, and trending towards "good". Probably will be even lower by 7pm. All this after hitting a high of 160 in the early afternoon.

Pattern has been similar last few days and hopefully will be again tomorrow (better air in evenings)

The moral outrage at play here ridiculous. If the winds change and the AQI is at 180 at 7pm tomorrow, then yeah, cancel or postpone the game. But why cancel now when all indications point to a fairly good probability of a safe environment at kickoff tomorrow?
MinotStateBeav
This is the most panic from smoke in Berkeley since the great Bogart Smokeout in 72 at Larry's house.
sycasey
BeggarEd said:

AQI at Berkeley Aquatic Park station down to 74 as of 5pm tonight. That is well into the "moderate" zone, and trending towards "good". Probably will be even lower by 7pm. All this after hitting a high of 160 in the early afternoon.

Pattern has been similar last few days and hopefully will be again tomorrow (better air in evenings)

The moral outrage at play here ridiculous. If the winds change and the AQI is at 180 at 7pm tomorrow, then yeah, cancel or postpone the game. But why cancel now when all indications point to a fairly good probability of a safe environment at kickoff tomorrow?
It's worth noting that the game will not be played near Aquatic Park, but will be further inland near the hills where the air quality is not as good. Right now the AQI for Berkeley Hills is 123, or "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups." That's still probably safe enough to play the game, but enough to be concerned if it's much above that.
Blueblood
MinotStateBeav said:

This is the most panic from smoke in Berkeley since the great Bogart Smokeout in 72 at Larry's house.
LOL...good one!
GMP
SadbutTrue999 said:

OaktownBear said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

she was pretty clear that it sucks.

it should be postponed. **** the friday revenue.

If I was on the team, I'd call a team meeting and discuss whether we're willing to play.
BearlyCareAnymore
BeggarEd said:

1. Again, the area near the water has had better air quality. Oakland was at 158 at 5:00 and on the map the campus was in the red zone. Aquatic Park is irrelevant.

2. The air quality has gotten better as the sun goes down. Most likely there will be no need to cancel the game

3. Cal told the reporter they are using the NCAA guidelines if AQI 200 to cancel. So no, they won't cancel at 180. That is ridiculous. Don't understand why they said anything, but what they said is awful policy.
BeggarEd
East Oakland at 123 and West Oakland at 97 as of 5pm per BAAQM stations available online per http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=10/12/2017&ParameterId=316
BearChemist
BeggarEd said:

East Oakland at 123 and West Oakland at 97 as of 5pm per BAAQM stations available online per http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&StartDate=10/12/2017&ParameterId=316
94703 is at 123 as of 7 pm. Not sure what you are trying to argue.
BearlyCareAnymore
BeggarEd said:

East Oakland was 158 at 5:00. It was 123 at 7:00.
BeggarEd
BearChemist said:

BeggarEd said:

94703 is at 123 as of 7 pm. Not sure what you are trying to argue.

where are you getting that data from? The link i posted is the official Bay Area Air Quality Management station readings. The most recent data they post seems to always be on a 2 hour delay minimum. If some other app is giving a real time measure of AQI for your zip code i'd be curious where that data comes from.

My point is that the very clear trend for several days and again tonight is positive/downward from late afternoon and into the early evening. Everything looks even better tonight now that the 6pm data was just released.

It makes the grandstanding and outrage from earlier by many look stupid. While there is no guarantee the pattern holds again tomorrow night, cancelling the game based on this morning or afternoon's conditions would have been grossly premature.
panoramicknob
Alkiadt said:

oskidunker said:

I feel fine, as I have been in a fire zone defending property for the last two days.
Thankfully we were spared.

As for Saturday, this is no worse than going to a game at the LA Coliseum in the 1960's, which I did on more than one occasion, and I'm fine.

Finally, a sensible post. Hopefully everything works out on the home front. Yes, the air is bad. Yes, I wouldn't bring kids to the game. Did people play football and other sports in LA pre-EPA regulations, yes. Do people play football in Bakersfield and San Berdo, of course. Will the sun rise on Saturday, yes...albeit a bit hazy. Go Bears!
BearChemist
BearChemist
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&zipcode=94704&submit=Go

Do you live in East bay? Have long have you walked outside in total this week? We are talking about student athletes playing football for 3.5 hours and you are playing armchair forecast based on data from Aquatic park and claim it will be fine?
panoramicknob
BearChemist said:

Do you live in East bay? Have long have you walked outside in total this week? We are talking about student athletes playing football for 3.5 hours and you are playing armchair forecast based on data from Aquatic park and claim it will be fine?
Jesus man, your spiking your blood pressure on a football message board. Surly a little exercise in some rough air can't be any worse.

Namaste man, namaste.
BeggarEd
BearChemist said:

Yes. That "armchair" data from the official stations of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District at baaqmd.gov.

Sorry that they show data from not only Aquatic Park, but East and West Oakland also, as being close to or at "moderate" levels as of the 6 to 7pm hour. It doesnt fit your narrative and you're quite emotional about this it seems.

Maybe the winds change and the smoke is worse tomorrow night and you'll get your wish for no game. But seems like a dumb idea to assume that outcome based on the patterns from afternoon to evening over the last few days
BearChemist
BeggarEd said:

BearChemist said:

Yes. That "armchair" data from the official stations of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District at baaqmd.gov.

Sorry that they show data from not only Aquatic Park, but East and West Oakland also, as being close to or at "moderate" levels as of the 6 to 7pm hour. It doesnt fit your narrative and you're quite emotional about this it seems.

Maybe the winds change and the smoke is worse tomorrow night and you'll get your wish for no game. But seems like a dumb idea to assume that outcome based on the patterns from afternoon to evening over the last few days
I see then. None of my three questions is answered.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.