The "I see you through the smokey air" Coogs vs Golden Bears Game Thread

66,602 Views | 760 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PtownBear1
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Tonight was the greatest recruiting advertisement in the history of cal football. Also, I've never been more proud of my Bears, from top to bottom. Also, thank god they didn't call this game on a count of smoke.

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard earlier that the whole game was a huge PR disaster and that no parent would ever send their kid to Cal as a result.
I give you maybe too much credit. You can't be so dense as to think that a fun outcome like that justifies the means, and that all those pictures of people wearing masks, and ash falling, etc are good, either from a perception standpoint, or fpr what they actually, really indicate. I just know you can't be.
Yogi58
TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Tonight was the greatest recruiting advertisement in the history of cal football. Also, I've never been more proud of my Bears, from top to bottom. Also, thank god they didn't call this game on a count of smoke.

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard earlier that the whole game was a huge PR disaster and that no parent would ever send their kid to Cal as a result.
I give you maybe too much credit. You can't be so dense as to think that a fun outcome like that justifies the means, and that all those pictures of people wearing masks, and ash falling, etc are good, either from a perception standpoint, or fpr what they actually, really indicate. I just know you can't be.
The game was terrific, but TheFiatLux is right that it never should have been played. I'll find a way to live with it though.

(and if anybody comes to try and wipe the ****-eating grin off my face, you will wake the BEAR!)
kaplanfx
TheSouseFamily said:

1-52 against top 10 teams since 1978? Wouldn't have guessed that. In my head, we've gone maybe 4-7.
So USC 2003 was the only other one before tonight? That was the start of something epic, hopefully this will be too.
Cal88
Cal88 said:

Did some indoor grilling earlier on to simulate gameday conditions.

Looking great in the night special golden tops.

Awesome start, this could be an EPIC game, GO BEARS!!!!!!
TheSouseFamily
TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'll always respect your love of Cal and your commitment to making the Cal fan base stronger. That said, I don't think we're losing recruits (or other students) because we're playing a once-in-a-lifetime game in somewhat sketchy conditions, albeit approved by the conference and the relevant air quality agencies. How bout we enjoy the win, only the second one in our Cal lifetimes beating a top 10 team?
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Leach just thrashing his team right now. "We were a bunch of pathetic front runners"
And that was to the media. I wonder if the locker room version will ever make it to YouTube. That could equal "FYFMAFE" and "Fat Girlfriends" combined!
TheFiatLux
TheSouseFamily said:

TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'll always respect your love of Cal and your commitment to making the Cal fan base stronger. That said, I don't think we're losing recruits (or other students) because we're playing a once-in-a-lifetime game in somewhat sketchy conditions, albeit approved by the conference and the relevant air quality agencies. How bout we enjoy the win, only the second one in our Cal lifetimes beating a top 10 team?
Thank you (seriously). I will enjoy the win. I'm thrilled for the players. There are bigger issues at play. We forget history we repeat it. GO BEARS!
Cal88
TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Sorry Ken, but this is ridiculous, you make it sound like we just played a game in Chernobyl.

People have lived in smoky caves since the discovery of fire, and today nearly half of humanity still lives, works, plays and sleeps in smoky, polluted environments. It takes years of exposure for smoke pollution to have a health impact, not 3 hours of a mostly anaerobic sport. It's like thinking that one pack of cigarettes that you had when you were 20 is going to have an impact on your health.
Alkiadt
TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Bugger off.
Great night, great game, and everybody had a good time.
Stay home more often.

TheFiatLux
Cal88 said:

TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Sorry Ken, but this is ridiculous, you make it sound like we just played a game in Chernobyl.

People have lived in smoky caves since the discovery of fire, and today nearly half of humanity still lives, works, plays and sleeps in smoky, polluted environments. It takes years of exposure for smoke pollution to have a health impact, not 3 hours of a mostly anaerobic sport. It's like thinking that one pack of cigarettes that you had when you were 20 is going to have an impact on your health.
Sorry, but you're missing the bigger picture. With all due respect, i have far greater visibility into this than you do. Sometimes, not all the time, sometimes people know more about something than we do. It's good to listen to them. This wasn't just a three hour game. Since we played, I love we got the win, for the players. But this could have played oiut very differently. I'm not going to convince you, so keep on keepin' on.
BearsWiin
Bear19
TheSouseFamily said:

Clemson is about to go down to Syracuse. No reason we can't do the same. I mean, right?
Right.
Bear 19
calfanz
get off the high horse.

are you a pulmonologist?

really? what's the agenda here.
TandemBear
Happy Friday the 13th, you guys!

I'm watching delayed and cannot believe it!!! Woohooo!

I went to a bike coalition meeting and expected the worst - especially with how the initial kickoff appeared.

But wait, hold the presses!!!

How did Cal keep THAT offense out of the end zone? My god, what an effort.

BTW, I'll take more Friday the 13ths... I paid $20 for three raffle tickets to support the cause... and came home with a NEW BIKE!!!!

Goldangit, I LIKE it!!!
MinotStateBeav
gobears94028
It looks like he had a great chance of sticking the landing if that dude wasn't sliding under him on the ground.
4mybears
Brilliant!!
Bear19
TheFiatLux said:

You can't be so dense as to think that a fun outcome like that justifies the means, and that all those pictures of people wearing masks, and ash falling, etc are good, either from a perception standpoint, or fpr what they actually, really indicate. I just know you can't be.
Fiat, I'm genuinely sad for you. You're unable to take joy in what is the best win we've had in along, long time. By objective standards, the air quality was judged to be OK for the game to be played, by a lot of people who are paid to make this kind of judgement based on their expertise. No one forced anyone to come to the game if the air quality bothered them. The decision to play was obviously made before the game - no "ends justifying the means" had any part in the decision.

Do you really think Mike Leech or Justin Wilcox would stand for their players being endangered?

I think you've lost perspective. This was a great night, one that will be remembered for a long time. I hope you decide to enjoy the heart, smarts, effort, overcoming adversity & joy that our Bears so clearly displayed.
Bear 19
FloriDreaming
kaplanfx said:

TheSouseFamily said:

1-52 against top 10 teams since 1978? Wouldn't have guessed that. In my head, we've gone maybe 4-7.
So USC 2003 was the only other one before tonight? That was the start of something epic, hopefully this will be too.

Interesting analogy. We'll bookmark this. In 03, getting to a bowl was huge for the program and recruiting. I see a similar scenario this season.
FloriDreaming
This side argument is unfortunate. I agree with FiatLux that the game should have been cancelled. It wasn't, Cal won, but does that make it okay that unpaid athletes were forced to train and play in these conditions? How can people (rightly) blame the coaches and university for a player's death and then say "screw it, let them play in the smoke"? That's the issue. The fact the game was played and Cal scored the upset is awesome, but can't we still question the wisdom of our administration? Why are people defending the admin and claiming to support the team? The issue of administrative negligence is still valid and very concerning. A win doesn't mitigate that.
burritos
Wait the luck led 2009 Furd team wasn't top 10?
burritos
https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php?threads/cal-beating-up-washington-state.46897/

Kind of entertaining thread from SUC
LunchTime
OaktownBear said:

Leach just thrashing his team right now. "We were a bunch of pathetic front runners"
That's just coach speak. I bet he doesn't let the team off so easy.
burritos
Funny thread on shaggytexas: Page 9 is where they go off on Ross flip:
http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/182189-(8)-Wazzu-Cal-7-30PT-on-ESPN-after-the-Clemson-Game/page9

Jump to page 11 to read the random BYU poster excoriating Cal and Stanturd for not letting them in the pac12.
B.A. Bearacus
Souse is Fiat's or any other Cal fan's equal, regardless of how many players or coaches are in his phone contacts. Let's just enjoy this win. Fiat, unless you really feel you have some holocaust-level moral clarity/justified high road here...

Let's just relish a game that will be remembered fondly for a long time. The recriminations can continue tomorrow. Let's enjoy the win for a sec. I'm sure the players are all sleeping well tonight.
Calfans
blungld said:

I feel bad for Cougs...but so happy that one of the worst Cal games I've ever seen is followed by one of the best.
blungld, you can go back to being your old self. Forget last week.
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

MoragaBear
Staff
I can't speak for anyone else, but haze or not, neither I or Mrs MB smelled any smoke besides weed all night, including walking from Underhill to Shattuck and Bancroft for dinner and all night at the game, nor did we have the slightest shortness of breath or discomfort. Could sense nothing different about the air down on the field during the 4th quarter or after the game, either. Players didn't seem at all winded or coughing.

I'm more than glad they made the call to play the game. It was a special night for the players and everyone who made it out to the game and an unforgettable one.
BearGoggles
TheFiatLux said:

Cal88 said:

TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Sorry, but you're missing the bigger picture. With all due respect, i have far greater visibility into this than you do. Sometimes, not all the time, sometimes people know more about something than we do. It's good to listen to them. This wasn't just a three hour game. Since we played, I love we got the win, for the players. But this could have played oiut very differently. I'm not going to convince you, so keep on keepin' on.
Here's something you really need to hear - it is not always about you or your opinions, wants and desires. You bring way too much of that to this board, whether it is starting a crusade to have the game postponed, insisting you were right after the game was played (which serves no purpose other than to demand that people pay attention to you), or campaigning to be mic man. Seriously, get over yourself. Cal had a great win tonight and we don't need to re-litigate another thread you posted about why the air quality was bad. Just stop.

TandemBear
TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Yeah, I see your point. But we let the third world produce our consumer goods at a HUGE environmental and health cost for those countries. Bejing enjoys air worse than this on a regular basis, thanks most certainly to the production they do on our behalf. Millions of lives are cut short thanks to lax environmental laws and lower production costs to keep our consumer goods cheap. Have you protested this travesty?

Do you camp? Have you breathed the campfire smoke that most campers endure on a daily basis throughout the summer? Horrible air quality. But everyone wants the quintessential campfire experience, so it continues. Personally, I'd like to see campfires become a thing of the past.

And I sure hope you don't have a fireplace you use to burn wood. Man, that's some serious pollution. And a gas leaf blower or lawnmower? Or a "high-mileage" scooter that spits out all sorts of pollution? Whenever I ride or drive behind a scooter I can't imagine HOW these things can possibly be legal.

But then I drive and see diesel trucks spew ungodly amounts of smoke & soot. It's a game diesel truck drivers play - when they drive alongside cyclists, they floor it and smoke the CRAP out of them. (Search YouTube for "rolling coal" for some real laughs.) Don't you find it rather absurd that everyone with a fuel-efficient gas engine has to meet smog emission standards. But the yahoos in 8 liter diesel trucks get to pollute with absolute abandon? And diesel-sipping high mileage passenger vehicles were prohibited in California for years, but fuel-wasting, pollution hog trucks were A-OK! Now THAT's worth protesting.

I'm thinking playing this game isn't THAT big of a deal.
Sebastabear
MoragaBear said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but haze or not, neither I or Mrs MB smelled any smoke besides weed all night, including walking from Underhill to Shattuck and Bancroft for dinner and all night at the game, nor did we have the slightest shortness of breath or discomfort. Could sense nothing different about the air down on the field during the 4th quarter or after the game, either. Players didn't seem at all winded or coughing.

I'm more than glad they made the call to play the game. It was a special night for the players and everyone who made it out to the game and an unforgettable one.
MB I love you man but you may want to get your sinuses checked. I'm now home and the clothes I wore are across the room and I can still smell them. It smelled like the unwashed love child of Smoky the Bear and Satan throughout the entire game.
bearsandgiants
No.
I agree with you. It should have been cancelled. I guiltily am glad it wasn't, though. Had we lost, I'd have been livid. WSU played as if they had been told the game was off, and then found out it wasn't. Maybe they were.

TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Bear19
Chapman_is_Gone said:

There's nothing Cal won't do for money.
It's the American way to exploit our poor, enslaved, downtrodden student atheletes by making them play football in the dense, carcinogenic smoke, so we can greedily count our 30 pieces of silver! Yeah! Let the Buyer Beware! Screw them so we can drink beer on our couch while resting our gut on a pillow and be amused by Cal football.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!
Bear 19
Bear19
BearGoggles said:

TheFiatLux said:

Cal88 said:

TheFiatLux said:

TheSouseFamily said:

bearsandgiants said:

Here's something you really need to hear - it is not always about you or your opinions, wants and desires. You bring way too much of that to this board, whether it is starting a crusade to have the game postponed, insisting you were right after the game was played (which serves no purpose other than to demand that people pay attention to you), or campaigning to be mic man. Seriously, get over yourself. Cal had a great win tonight and we don't need to re-litigate another thread you posted about why the air quality was bad. Just stop.
+1
Bear 19
bearister
Uthaithani said:

This side argument is unfortunate. I agree with FiatLux that the game should have been cancelled. It wasn't, Cal won, but does that make it okay that unpaid athletes were forced to train and play in these conditions? How can people (rightly) blame the coaches and university for a player's death and then say "screw it, let them play in the smoke"? That's the issue. The fact the game was played and Cal scored the upset is awesome, but can't we still question the wisdom of our administration? Why are people defending the admin and claiming to support the team? The issue of administrative negligence is still valid and very concerning. A win doesn't mitigate that.

I would not have wanted my son to have practiced all week and played in that game. It's like war, it is a lot more tolerable if someone else's kid is doing the fighting. With that said, I guiltily watched and enjoyed an epic Bears' win.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
That was a hell of a game by our guys last night. I don't remember a more complete performance in my 35-ish years following the Bears. Great W.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.