Beau Baldwin to UA talk is heating up

31,783 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BearGoggles
Cave Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One Arizona board has him as an emerging candidate for their head coach job. There are some big names that are said to be candidates as well.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4877&start=550
packawana
People on that board seem convinced it's him.
6956bear
Sumlin and Miles are the big names involved. Helfrich to some degree and current DC Marcel Yates. Baldwin is a very serious candidate if you believe the Arizona fan boards. Some of the insiders think it is a 2 man race between Miles and Baldwin. Sumlin is asking for a lot and they are tapped out. Helfrich has some advocates and could be under serious consideration as well.

The Arizona insiders think this search is nearly over. They believe it will leak out at some point today or tomorrow. If it is really between Baldwin and Miles, Baldwin could very easily get the nod IMO.
tequila4kapp
I would really hate to see him go. For as uneven as our offense was last season I truly believe he has the goods and we'll see it next year. OSU made no sense to me - that school is a place where coaches go to die. Arizona is a better situation.
82gradDLSdad
Boy, Wilcox has his work cut out for him. One sub-par (good for this current Cal program, I guess) and he is on the verge of losing a second, good assistant. You expect the coaching losses when you are successful but not when you haven't even got there yet. I hope Wilcox has great contacts and some money to work with or this will end like it always does.
6956bear
82gradDLSdad said:

Boy, Wilcox has his work cut out for him. One sub-par (good for this current Cal program, I guess) and he is on the verge of losing a second, good assistant. You expect the coaching losses when you are successful but not when you haven't even got there yet. I hope Wilcox has great contacts and some money to work with or this will end like it always does.
Azzinaro has a long time association with Kelly. That was always a possibility if Kelly got back into coaching. Baldwin came to Cal in part because he wanted to broaden his coaching background in hopes of landing a HC job in D1. So both (Baldwin still at Cal as of now) would not be unexpected moves given their individual situations. JW was able to attract a good group for last season, but some of that was circumstance. Greatwood was let go by Taggart, Azz by the 49ers and Kelly sat out the year, Baldwin as he wanted greater exposure etc.

So now the staff is 2 down (Azz and recently added 10th asst.). With the recent increase in the salary pool for assistants he should be able to find a couple of good candidates. It changes some if Baldwin goes. He was low paid for an OC and his WR coach (who would likely join him) was as well. So now what do you do? Upgrades come with a pricetag often. So does he have to go cheap on a couple of hires?

Beau is here for now, but if the Bears do well next season he is likely gone. Additionally should Baldwin go it may be difficult to find an OC that is a good fit for what JW wants to do. More and more teams are going spread and he may find it difficult to find an OC with the type of offense he wants to run that has experience and would come to Cal.
bluehenbear
OK, who's going to apply?

https://uacareers.com/postings/25961

Only 40 hours a week!
Gotta pass a fingerprint background check, tho
82gradDLSdad
bluehenbear said:

OK, who's going to apply?

https://uacareers.com/postings/25961

Only 40 hours a week!
Gotta pass a fingerprint background check, tho

Apparently, wearing clothes around the office is optional.
B.A. Bearacus
The Baldwin rule is like the new Rooney rule: Baldwin has to be interviewed (in real life or cyber) for an open head coaching position before it's given to someone else.
ducky23
B.A. Bearacus said:

The Baldwin rule is like the new Rooney rule: Baldwin has to be interviewed (in real life or cyber) for an open head coaching position before it's given to someone else.

I assume the raiders fulfilled the Rooney rule? Would've hated to be that guy interviewed. Probably lasted 2 mins.
B.A. Bearacus
ducky23 said:

I assume the raiders fulfilled the Rooney rule? Would've hated to be that guy interviewed. Probably lasted 2 mins.

Raiders satisfied the Rooney rule. They are said to have interviewed two minority candidates, one of whom was TE coach Bobby Johnson, who had been with the Raiders for the past three seasons. One thing I learned from the Gruden scenario was that the Rooney rule does not require interviewing at least one minority; a team could just pay a $200K penalty, but that's rarely done.
Yogi58
82gradDLSdad said:

It's a sign that Wilcox hires good coaches and should build confidence that the Toler hire (not proven as a recruiter or RB coach) is a good one.
82gradDLSdad
Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

It's a sign that Wilcox hires good coaches and should build confidence that the Toler hire (not proven as a recruiter or RB coach) is a good one.

Tedford's first set of assistants were good. The rest, not so much.
Cal_79
82gradDLSdad said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I once ate at a really good restaurant. Later on I ate at a bad one. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that all subsequent restaurants suck...
Cave Bear
It's reported that Baldwin and the Troy head coach Neal Brown have interviewed for the job
bear2034
Cave Bear said:

It's reported that Baldwin and the Troy head coach Neal Brown have interviewed for the job
Source?
Cave Bear
oskirules said:

Cave Bear said:

Source?
http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4877&start=700

Twitter from another Arizona site with confirmation by one of the insider posters on this Arizona board. About 2/3 the way down the page
82gradDLSdad
Cal_79 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

I once ate at a really good restaurant. Later on I ate at a bad one. Therefore, the only logical conclusion is that all subsequent restaurants suck...

Nice try.
going4roses
Cal Football really needs to shake off that persona asap
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Polodad
Pre-mature call on Sumlin. AZ board back to square one with many names in the discussion, including Baldwin.
6956bear
Polodad said:

Pre-mature call on Sumlin. AZ board back to square one with many names in the discussion, including Baldwin.
Sumlin was originally a top candidate. Wants too much money for himself and staff so they backed away. Also he is a very likely candidate to move at the earliest opportunity to a job in the Big 12 or SEC. I doubt seriously they are back to square 1 either. They could very easily make a choice today or tomorrow. The coaches convention ends tonight, the recruiting window opens tomorrow and OVs commence again this weekend. Arizona would love a coach this week.
going4roses
Sumlin and Tate could have been explosive and imo worth the reach perhaps

But didn't A&m cash out sumlin on the way out the door?

6956bear
going4roses said:

Sumlin and Tate could have been explosive and imo worth the reach perhaps

But didn't A&m cash out sumlin on the way out the door?

They did and he is "actively" seeking a job. But he does not need the money for this season, he can afford to wait for a great opportunity. If Arizona was willing to increase the assistant salary pool etc that opportunity could be there. There are some who feel he is intentionally providing roadblocks to his hiring, but of course if he can get a sweet deal then he would take it.

Just believe Sumlin wants a higher profile/potential destination. But will take your money if you are willing to throw it his way. He likely feels he can win big enough with Tate next season to show others he can still coach. But understands that he will need a larger salary pool to attract the sort of staff he believes is necessary to win at a higher level.
Big C
I'm assuming Wilcox has put a lot of thought into what he might do if we need a new OC all of a sudden?
Chapman_is_Gone
Cal_79 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

What was the really good restaurant? I'm always looking for recommendations...
B.A. Bearacus
Big C said:

I'm assuming Wilcox has put a lot of thought into what he might do if we need a new OC all of a sudden?

Beau knows he ain't long for Cal. Wilcox must know this, too. I figure he will continue to consider HC gigs and continue to be the prom fallback this year, but when our offense improves next season, which is reasonable to assume, he's OUTTA HERE! Don't see him staying beyond next year. He wants out of Coordinator Shawshank.
going4roses
Explain?
B.A. Bearacus
Just saying he was a successful HC at a school that could beat P12 schools. He seems to clearly have a HC type personality and commensurate ambitions at a P5 level. He obviously knew that an OC position at Cal could bring him closer to that goal than staying at EW. He knows he is a serious enough candidate now to be considered for the HC position at lower to mid-tier P12 schools. Just seems like his stock is not quite high enough to be a frontrunner for such positions, but after another year, that stock may go up enough that he isn't simply the fallback choice.
B.A. Bearacus
Head coach just seems to be where Baldwin's calling is:

BearSD
From football scoop:
Quote:

Arizona: Sources tell FootballScoop a number of coaches have been asked to interview over the past few days including Kevin Sumlin, Neal Brown, Mark Helfrich, Jedd Fisch, Marcel Yates, Beau Baldwin & another former coach who currently is a TV / media presence. We hear a decision is expected in the coming days. Will update as more is clear.
"Been asked to interview" does not equal "has interviewed or wants the job", of course...
tequila4kapp
going4roses said:

Explain?
But for some rare exceptions talented assistant coaches leave to move up. It's the curse that comes with making good hires. I think the best we can hope for is that Baldwin is still an attractive candidate next year - that means our offense was good in 2018 - and that Baldwin's experience at Cal was good enough that he'd consider returning as HC whenever Wilcox eventually leaves (hopefully not for a long time).
FloriDreaming
I'm not freaking out either way on this one. I think he might be a better HC than OC and last season's offense is very easily replaceable, he didn't exactly work magic. It would be nice if he stuck around and could be HC at Cal when the time is right, but we'll be okay either way.
UrsaMajor
FWIW, latest rumor on BearDown--Rick Nueweasel is a candidate! Their Board is in full meltdown at that prospect.
82gradDLSdad
UrsaMajor said:

FWIW, latest rumor on BearDown--Rick Nueweasel is a candidate! Their Board is in full meltdown at that prospect.

As it should be. Not that Neuheisal wouldn't be an absolutely awesome hire for the cats. They'd be crazy to let him slip through their hands.
Big C
Uthaithani said:

I'm not freaking out either way on this one. I think he might be a better HC than OC and last season's offense is very easily replaceable, he didn't exactly work magic. It would be nice if he stuck around and could be HC at Cal when the time is right, but we'll be okay either way.
Agree, no reason to freak out. However, if he leaves, that would give us a 4th OC in four years and that makes it difficult for our experienced "core" to play with the confidence they need to get us the 7+ wins that will begin to turn this program around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.