OT: World Cup Thread

36,588 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sycasey
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Figured there might as well be a separate WC thread which i have clearly labeled as OT so as to not confuse Chapman_Is_Gone.

How about that Iceland side? Amazing. And can we please put to the rest the whole "co-best players on the planet" thing? Also, is there a guy on Iceland named Sanfordandson by chance?

Just me or does Argentina have a chant that sounds almost exactly like Roll on You Bears?
calbear80
I am now in Saint Petersburg for the World Cup. Life is good.

Are there any other Cal Bears fans or BI posters here in Russia? I would love to hear from you.

I attended Iran-Morocco game last night in Saint Petersburg (Iran won 1-0 on a last minute goal). Beautiful stadium. Beautiful city. Extremly tight security getting into the stadium (tigher security than ANY soccer match/sporting event I have attended in four continents).

For the record, Russian people have actually been pretty nice (I am surprised based on my previous experiences), The Visa for entry into Russia as well as all Metro and train rides are free for all fans attending World Cup games (but, everything else is very expensive).

I watched Russia-Saudi Arabia game in the FIFA Fan Zone (great experience). Russia embarrassed Saudis 5-0 (Russia is not that good, but, Saudies are that bad). I have also watched several games on the TV and now am watching Peru-Denmark match.

And to answer the opening paragraph's question, there were two co-best players in the world 24 hours ago. Now, after Chritian Ronaldo scored three goals last night against an excellent Spain team and Messi did not score at all (and missed a critical penalty kick) against an average Iceland team, there is only one best player in the world and it is Ronaldo. But, it is still early, very early.

Go Bears!

P.S. It is a shame that United States of America, one of the greatest countries in the history of the world, did not qualify for this World Cup. I miss USA being in the World Cup. I would have loved to chant U S A, U S A as I did in Brazil when we played against Belguim. Oh well!
joe amos yaks
Go Iceland!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Cal88
Allez les Bleus!
bear2034
Ronaldo, what a performance.
graguna
calbear80 said:

Are there any other Cal Bears fans or BI posters here in Russia? I would love to hear from you.

I attended Iran-Morocco game last night in Saint Petersburg (Iran won 1-0 on a last minute goal). Beautiful stadium. Beautiful city. Extremly tight security getting into the stadium (tigher security than ANY soccer match/sporting event I have attended in four continents).

For the record, Russian people have actually been pretty nice (I am surprised based on my previous experiences), The Visa for entry into Russia as well as all Metro and train rides are free for all fans attending World Cup games (but, everything else is very expensive).

I watched Russia-Saudi Arabia game in the FIFA Fan Zone (great experience). Russia embarrassed Saudis 5-0 (Russia is not that good, but, Saudies are that bad). I have also watched several games on the TV and now am watching Peru-Denmark match.

And to answer the opening paragraph's question, there were two co-best players in the world 24 hours ago. Now, after Chritian Ronaldo scored three goals last night against an excellent Spain team and Messi did not score at all (and missed a critical penalty kick) against an average Iceland team, there is only one best player in the world and it is Ronaldo. But, it is still early, very early.

Go Bears!

P.S. It is a shame that United States of America, one of the greatest countries in the history of the world, did not qualify for this World Cup. I miss USA being in the World Cup. I would have loved to chant U S A, U S A as I did in Brazil when we played against Belguim. Oh well!

fitting that a country that used to be the greatest in the world but which is slipping quickly under fake president trump didn't make the world cup. All this winning is getting tiring.
TheSouseFamily
Pretty lame, I must say, for Fox to be broadcasting the majority of the early games remotely from the LA studio. Apparently, only two of their broadcast teams are actually in Russia. C'mon Fox, this isn't Cal and Hawaii from Australia. It's only the biggest sporting event in the world and for what they paid for the rights, sending over the other broadcasters is a mere drop in the bucket cost-wise.
packawana
TheSouseFamily said:

Pretty lame, I must say, for Fox to be broadcasting the majority of the early games remotely from the LA studio. Apparently, only two of their broadcast teams are actually in Russia. C'mon Fox, this isn't Cal and Hawaii from Australia. It's only the biggest sporting event in the world and for what they paid for the rights, sending over the other broadcasters is a mere drop in the bucket cost-wise.
There's no market for it. I'm still rather surprised that the US in general continues to be impervious to football madness.
Goobear
graguna said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

fitting that a country that used to be the greatest in the world but which is slipping quickly under fake president trump didn't make the world cup. All this winning is getting tiring.
This OT Worldcup not OT Politics
TheSouseFamily
packawana said:

TheSouseFamily said:

There's no market for it. I'm still rather surprised that the US in general continues to be impervious to football madness.

I get that the market still hasn't ever developed much (and may never) but if you're gonna spend $400M on the rights to the tournament, do it right. Plus, Fox has the 2022 rights where hopefully the USMNT will be back, so why not put your best foot forward instead of saving a few dollars that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and leave a bad impression.
Bear19
calbear80, keep us updated with posts directly from live matches on the pitch.
calumnus
TheSouseFamily said:

packawana said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I get that the market still hasn't ever developed much (and may never) but if you're gonna spend $400M on the rights to the tournament, do it right. Plus, Fox has the 2022 rights where hopefully the USMNT will be back, so why not put your best foot forward instead of saving a few dollars that are meaningless in the grand scheme of things and leave a bad impression.

Agree 100% And figure out how to explain and make it interesting to Americans without America being in it, the way I come up to speed and get interested in March Madness despite Cal not being in it or not advancing past the first weekend.
calumnus
graguna said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!

Hey our President recently said the G7 insulted "us" by excluding Russia, so by extension the Russian team must be "us" too, right?
Goobear
Can we get Iceland to implement their system here in the USA. As a Dutchman having played soccer it still boggles my mind we cannot do better here in the US. Perhaps they can pick 1 state to implement their structure and have it become better than the remainder of the US?
calumnus
Goobear said:

Can we get Iceland to implement their system here in the USA. As a Dutchman having played soccer it still boggles my mind we cannot do better here in the US. Perhaps they can pick 1 state to implement their structure and have it become better than the remainder of the US?

California would be a good candidate.
Big C
Goobear said:

Whatever it is, I doubt it would work here. It's probably either an anomaly, or a system that couldn't be adapted to a large heterogeneous society like the US.

Agree that, after all this work implementing the game into our youth culture. we can't even make the World Cup. Of course, how are they rationalizing this in Italy and the Netherlands?
Goobear
Big C said:

Goobear said:

Whatever it is, I doubt it would work here. It's probably either an anomaly, or a system that couldn't be adapted to a large heterogeneous society like the US.

Agree that, after all this work implementing the game into our youth culture. we can't even make the World Cup. Of course, how are they rationalizing this in Italy and the Netherlands?
Yes they are crying big tears. Dutch soccer not like it used to be...

I have to root for the Belgians now
Zerk
Cal. Berkeley sighting on TV at the 89th minute of the Mecico-Germany game. Great win for el Tri. Stunned!
JA Bear
Did anyone see the guy wearing a Cal shirt around 89th minute during the Germany vs Mexico match? Was that you cal bear 80? Good win.
Goobear
Zerk said:

Cal. Berkeley sighting on TV at the 89th minute of the Mecico-Germany game. Great win for el Tri. Stunned!

Very cool. Great game.
OdontoBear66
JA Bear said:

Did anyone see the guy wearing a Cal shirt around 89th minute during the Germany vs Mexico match? Was that you cal bear 80? Good win.
Yup, saw it. Have the same shirt myself....Don't think it has been sold for years....Good result Mexico
bonsallbear
Interesting start. The country with most tickets purchased other than Russia------------ USA.
oski003
bonsallbear said:

Interesting start. The country with most tickets purchased other than Russia------------ USA.

Evidence of collusion.
calumnus
bonsallbear said:

Is that why there is "no market" for it on US television?
wifeisafurd
Goobear said:

Big C said:

Goobear said:

Probably is that male talent is steered to football, baseball and basketball. Can you imagine Kobe Bryant as a soccer forward? That is why there is a gender gap. American women's soccer is top notch.
Goobear
wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

Big C said:

Goobear said:

Hey Can we get Iceland to implement their system here in the USA. As a Dutchman having played soccer it still boggles my mind we cannot do better here in the US. Perhaps they can pick 1 state to implement their structure and have it become better than the remainder of the US?

Probably is that male talent is steered to football, baseball and basketball. Can you imagine Kobe Bryant as a soccer forward? That is why there is a gender gap. American women's soccer is top notch.
Wife that is true but come on we have 300,000,000 people vs Iceland 350,000. Surely we can find a few 100 guys who are athletic and like soccer. I think it's the way soccer is thought at youth level. Too process driven not enough street ball.

Let's see how England does tomorrow. Mexico looked exciting the first half then got winded and lucky the second half.

Belgians tomorrow too. Let's go Rode Duivels (Red Devils).
calbear80
JA Bear said:

No, it was not me. I am still in Saint Petersburg and the Germany-Mexico game was in Moscow. I wish I was there, though.

Congrats to Mexico on a great win! Has Mexico had a better team in the World Cup since 1970 Mexico World Cup (when they made it to the second round)?

P.S. Did anyone else notice that the ref for Germany-Iran was Persian?
calbear80
wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

Big C said:

Goobear said:

+1

US is the Brazil+Germany+Italy of Women Soccer (Football).

I was at the final of 2015 Women World Cup in Vancouver where US crushed Japan by something like 6-2.

I have coached youth soccer. If there was a World Cup for 11 year olds, we'd win it every time. But, by the age of 12, the very best boy athletes in US gravitate to American Football, Basketball and Baseball.

Why, you ask. Here is my theory: College Schorarships, Pro Salaries and Fame.

For a talented male high school senior athlete, there is 85 scholarships in Football and 13 scholarships in Basketball in the local university and lots of minor league Baseball opportunities. But, only maybe 3-4 Soccer schorlaships in the local university.

Also, when American male athletes look for a role model, there is no American male Soccer player who is real famous and makes lots of money. But, there are lots and lots of rich and famous American Football, Badketball and Baseball players.

Go Bears!

P.S. How many of the BI posters have ever travelled some distance to see a Cal Soccer match? Now compare that to Football and Basketball. Right there is a part of the the problem.
calbear80
World Cup Travel Report:

The 2018 Russia World Cup matches are held in eight different cities, some of them a few thousand miles apart. Each team plays at least three games each in a different city (all assigned based on the Group Stage drawing), Soccer fans move around from one city to next like a wave following their team. Of course, the hotels and flights to/from the city where the match is held are very expensive the day before the match and the day after the match.

Today, I am traveling from Saint Petersburg to Kazan to attend my second game. The internal airline tickets were sold out or unreasonable. So, it will be a 20+ hour train ride for me (4 hour on a fast train from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, 4 hours change of train in Moscow, 12 hours from Moscow to Kazan). It is going to be tough.

On the good news side, I am planning to do the Trans-Siberian Railway next year (Saint Petersburg to Vladivostok, Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean). Today and tomorrow, I will get the first 20 hours of the 180 hour train ride out of the way!

Go Bears!
OneKeg
calbear80 said:

JA Bear said:

No, it was not me. I am still in Saint Petersburg and the Germany-Mexico game was in Moscow. I wish I was there, though.

Congrats to Mexico on a great win! Has Mexico had a better team in the World Cup since 1970 Mexico World Cup (when they made it to the second round)?

P.S. Did anyone else notice that the ref for Germany-Iran was Persian?
Germany-Iran? I don't think they have played and are not in the same group.

Did you mean Iran-Morocco which Iran won 1-0 on an own goal?

Have a great World Cup trip!
BearSD
Goobear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Goobear said:

Big C said:

Goobear said:

Hey Can we get Iceland to implement their system here in the USA. As a Dutchman having played soccer it still boggles my mind we cannot do better here in the US. Perhaps they can pick 1 state to implement their structure and have it become better than the remainder of the US?

Wife that is true but come on we have 300,000,000 people vs Iceland 350,000. Surely we can find a few 100 guys who are athletic and like soccer. I think it's the way soccer is thought at youth level. Too process driven not enough street ball.

Let's see how England does tomorrow. Mexico looked exciting the first half then got winded and lucky the second half.

Belgians tomorrow too. Let's go Rode Duivels (Red Devils).
Exactly. It was mentioned on the Argentina-Iceland telecast that Iceland has 120 registered (male) soccer players. 120 for the entire country! In the USA we have more than 2 million.

There are many reasons why US Soccer is failing to develop elite men's talent that can contend for a World Cup, but there's certainly no lack of raw talent playing the sport here.

Another Bear
The population of Iceland is about 300k, so 120 real players makes sense. By comparison, Oakland is about 400k. Pretty impressive stuff taking on Argentina. Iceland's population is so small, they have an app...to help avoid hooking up with a cousin. The national dish is a corn, rice and cheese dish. The national drink is "Black Death".
TheSouseFamily
Another Bear said:

The population of Iceland is about 300k, so 120 real players makes sense. By comparison, Oakland is about 400k. Pretty impressive stuff taking on Argentina. Iceland's population is so small, they have an app...to help avoid hooking up with a cousin. The national dish is a corn, rice and cheese dish. The national drink is "Black Death".

My favorite thing about Iceland is how they do their last names. Unlike most places that retain family surnames, they just take Dad's first. ame and throw a "-son" or "-dottir" to the end. Dad's name is Karl and you're a boy? You're a Karlsson. Dad's name is Jon and you're a girl? You're a Jonsdottir. I like that. Nice and simple.

Plus, they all sound like Game of Thrones characters.
TheSouseFamily
ColoradoBear
TheSouseFamily said:

Another Bear said:

My favorite thing about Iceland is how they do their last names. Unlike most places that retain family surnames, they just take Dad's first. ame and throw a "-son" or "-dottir" to the end. Dad's name is Karl and you're a boy? You're a Karlsson. Dad's name is Jon and you're a girl? You're a Jonsdottir. I like that. Nice and simple.

makes it hard to know who your cousins are.

guess that's why there's an app for not dating cousins there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.