OT: World Cup Thread

36,592 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sycasey
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily said:

How's that possible? What were all the doctors, security guards, policemen, and emergency response people on duty doing?
TheSouseFamily
I would assume that those people you mentioned weren't watching TV. The 99.6% figure reflects the % of those watching TV.
KenBurnski
They weren't watching TV.
Zerk
Another Bear said:

The population of Iceland is about 300k, so 120 real players makes sense.
Basic Icelandic demography.
bear2034
Harry Kane is always in the right place at the right time. What a bonanza for England!
PtownBear1
Zerk said:

Another Bear said:

That's pretty awesome. For such a small population, the Icelanders are a pretty impressive bunch. They have 3 airlines for instance.
TheSouseFamily
Looks like the ratings for Fox on the World Cup so far have been surprisingly good according to this Forbes article linked below.

I'll admit. I'm not a big soccer fan. I've never watched an MLS game. I've watched very few club games, usually late in the champions league schedule. I've never attended or watched a college soccer game. And I don't have kids that play youth soccer.

But I LOVE the World Cup and think there's magic to it. I record every game and while I may not watch the entire game, I always watch the 5 minutes before kickoff when the teams walk onto the field with the kids and then sing their anthems. For me, it's one of the greatest moments in sports to see players sing their anthems at full throttle, full of the pride for representing their countries while similarly energized fans belt it out from the stands. Today before the Panama/Belgium game, you saw Panamanian players with tears rolling down as they sung their anthem. It reflects the emotion and energy that you get in the World Cup that no other sport can offer.

And I also love the dichotomy of the various fan bases. I caught parts of the Nigeria/Serbia game yesterday and are there countries more different culturally than Serbia and Nigeria? Loved seeing their various fans excited and rooting their country on. Only World Cup soccer has that power to bring different people like that together and I love it.

I get that soccer doesn't quite do it for a lot of people. But nothing can match the passion it elicits from the teams and fans involved. Those shots of fans of various countries' watch parties when their teams score a goal? That Iceland announcer? Awesome.

I'm bummed like everyone that the US isn't involved, but I still find the World Cup endlessly fascinating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2018/06/18/how-the-absence-of-the-u-s-impacts-world-cup-ratings-and-advertising/
calumnus
TheSouseFamily said:

Looks like the ratings for Fox on the World Cup so far have been surprisingly good according to this Forbes article linked below.

I'll admit. I'm not a big soccer fan. I've never watched an MLS game. I've watched very few club games, usually late in the champions league schedule. I've never attended or watched a college soccer game. And I don't have kids that play youth soccer.

But I LOVE the World Cup and think there's magic to it. I record every game and while I may not watch the entire game, I always watch the 5 minutes before kickoff when the teams walk onto the field with the kids and then sing their anthems. For me, it's one of the greatest moments in sports to see players sing their anthems at full throttle, full of the pride for representing their countries while similarly energized fans belt it out from the stands. Today before the Panama/Belgium game, you saw Panamanian players with tears rolling down as they sung their anthem. It reflects the emotion and energy that you get in the World Cup that no other sport can offer.

And I also love the dichotomy of the various fan bases. I caught parts of the Nigeria/Serbia game yesterday and are there countries more different culturally than Serbia and Nigeria? Loved seeing their various fans excited and rooting their country on. Only World Cup soccer has that power to being different people like that together and I love it.

I get that soccer doesn't quite do it for a lot of people. But nothing can match the passion it elicits from the teams and fans involved. Those shots of fans of various countries' watch parties when their teams score a goal? Awesome.

I'm bummed like everyone that the US isn't involved, but I still find the World Cup endlessly fascinating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2018/06/18/how-the-absence-of-the-u-s-impacts-world-cup-ratings-and-advertising/

I am the same. Once every 4 years I try to catch up on who are the players/teams to watch, much like I do prior to the NCAA Tournament. The best players in the world, playing for their national teams, with nationalism fully on display, really nothing comes close.
bear2034
Ronaldo GOAT. Scored again, Portugal 1 Morocco 0.
Goobear
oskirules said:

Yes he makes things happen at all levels. The GOAT for sure. Messi can only do it at club level it seems like. Hopefully he proves I don't have a clue.
operbear
calbear80 said:

World Cup Travel Report:

The 2018 Russia World Cup matches are held in eight different cities, some of them a few thousand miles apart. Each team plays at least three games each in a different city (all assigned based on the Group Stage drawing), Soccer fans move around from one city to next like a wave following their team. Of course, the hotels and flights to/from the city where the match is held are very expensive the day before the match and the day after the match.

Today, I am traveling from Saint Petersburg to Kazan to attend my second game. The internal airline tickets were sold out or unreasonable. So, it will be a 20+ hour train ride for me (4 hour on a fast train from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, 4 hours change of train in Moscow, 12 hours from Moscow to Kazan). It is going to be tough.

On the good news side, I am planning to do the Trans-Siberian Railway next year (Saint Petersburg to Vladivostok, Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean). Today and tomorrow, I will get the first 20 hours of the 180 hour train ride out of the way!

Go Bears!
Moscow to Vladivostok. Just took it as far as Irkutsk.
Operbear
HoopDreams
Calbear
Keep the WC reports coming, and if you have the time it would be great if you talked alttle about the matches you attended

Also more on the scene reporting of the sights, sounds and people

calbear80 said:

World Cup Travel Report:

The 2018 Russia World Cup matches are held in eight different cities, some of them a few thousand miles apart. Each team plays at least three games each in a different city (all assigned based on the Group Stage drawing), Soccer fans move around from one city to next like a wave following their team. Of course, the hotels and flights to/from the city where the match is held are very expensive the day before the match and the day after the match.

Today, I am traveling from Saint Petersburg to Kazan to attend my second game. The internal airline tickets were sold out or unreasonable. So, it will be a 20+ hour train ride for me (4 hour on a fast train from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, 4 hours change of train in Moscow, 12 hours from Moscow to Kazan). It is going to be tough.

On the good news side, I am planning to do the Trans-Siberian Railway next year (Saint Petersburg to Vladivostok, Atlantic Ocean to Pacific Ocean). Today and tomorrow, I will get the first 20 hours of the 180 hour train ride out of the way!

Go Bears!
TheSouseFamily
To add to the HD's comment, I'd be interested to know what your W/L fighting record is so far versus Russian ultras.
Another Bear
+1 Keep the reports coming calbear80, good stuff...but man that train ride is giving me flashbacks but good for you. Safe travels!
bear2034
Goobear said:

oskirules said:

Yes he makes things happen at all levels. The GOAT for sure. Messi can only do it at club level it seems like. Hopefully he proves I don't have a clue.
Messi and Argentina go down hard to Croatia, 3-0. He hasn't proven you wrong yet with one remaining match left.
BearSD
oskirules said:

Goobear said:

oskirules said:

Messi and Argentina go down hard to Croatia, 3-0. He hasn't proven you wrong yet with one remaining match left.

Didn't help that Argentina's manager left the team's second and third best offensive threats on the bench. The manager thought they could get a draw or a narrow win with a defense-heavy strategy, and the strategy failed.
Another Bear
I dunno, seems like the Hand of God is now paying back karma to Argentina. Those are the breaks.
OdontoBear66
BearSD said:

oskirules said:

Goobear said:

oskirules said:

Didn't help that Argentina's manager left the team's second and third best offensive threats on the bench. The manager thought they could get a draw or a narrow win with a defense-heavy strategy, and the strategy failed.

He went out that exit so fast at games end he might consider playing striker instead of coaching. And if they don't come out of bracket he also may consider staying off the plane back to Buenos Aires. I liked Arg until their dirty play and poor sportsmanship at the end. Suspect it is similar when U$C loses a FB game at home
Goobear
OdontoBear66 said:

BearSD said:

oskirules said:

Goobear said:

oskirules said:

He went out that exit so fast at games end he might consider playing striker instead of coaching. And if they don't come out of bracket he also may consider staying off the plane back to Buenos Aires. I liked Arg until their dirty play and poor sportsmanship at the end. Suspect it is similar when U$C loses a FB game at home
Argentina under performs. Amazing to me. So far teams who look good in my eye:

Spain, Croatia, Belgium, France (redeemed itself), Russia, Mexico
Maybe good Portugal, UK, Germany, Serbia, Senegal, Nigeria

The rest, forget about it

Just my 2 cents.
OdontoBear66
Shock of shocks. Serbia is 1 minute in regulation, 4 minutes overall, from tying Switzerland and advancing, and they give up a beautiful one on one goal. Now, playing Brazil next, they are probably gone....What about "It ain't over till it's over". Wow. And people find this game boring. Whatever floats your boat.
BearSD
OdontoBear66 said:

Shock of shocks. Serbia is 1 minute in regulation, 4 minutes overall, from tying Switzerland and advancing, and they give up a beautiful one on one goal. Now, playing Brazil next, they are probably gone....What about "It ain't over till it's over". Wow. And people find this game boring. Whatever floats your boat.
Both of the Swiss goals that beat Serbia were scored by ethnic Kosovo refugees whose families fled to Switzerland due to Serbian oppression in "the former Yugoslavia".

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/serbia-switzerland-world-cup-2018-match-report-group-e-xherdan-shaqiri-granit-xhaka-aleksandar-a8412551.html
Quote:

Officially, this was an international between Serbia and Switzerland but there were deeper, darker, more passionate undertones to this match. For Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri, this was Kosovo vs Serbia.
Quote:

Both men are from the republic that broke away from Serbia and limps on only partially recognised. Shaqiri plays with the Kosovan flag stitched into his boots, for which he was booed by a partisan, Serbian supporting crowd. He would have dreamed of being able to settle a match, in the World Cup, against Serbia. Put through, clean on goal with eight minutes remaining, he scored, cold-eyed. He was not the only Kosovan to be celebrating.
Quote:

For the Swiss midfielder the equaliser would also have been a sublime moment. The ball had come to him from Shaqiri's blocked shot. Xhaka's own boots, minus the Kosovan flag, met the ricochet as well as he can ever have done and celebrated by trying to make a double-headed Albanian eagle with his hands which is not something you are taught to do on Blue Peter. This was a reference to his father a Kosovan of Albanian descent who was jailed by the Serbian government for agitating for independence.

calbear80
Reporting From Saransk, Russia (The smallest City hosting a 2018 World Cup game):

The Russian word for Customer Service: Nyet! Nyet!

Why in the world they chose this city to host three or four World Cup games?

Go Beats!
calbear80
operbear said:

calbear80 said:

World Cup Travel Report:

Go Bears!

Re: Trans-Siberian Raiway Trip

I did Saint Petersburg to Moscow to Kazan (around 22 hours) this year during the World Cup.

Next Year, God willing, I will do: Kazan to Perm to Novosibriski to Lake Baikal to Vladdivostock (LONG way, almost 150 hours).

Go Bears!
bonsallbear
calbear80 said:

operbear said:

calbear80 said:

World Cup Travel Report:

Go Bears!

I did Saint Petersburg to Moscow to Kazan (around 22 hours) this year during the World Cup.

Next Year, God willing, I will do: Kazan to Perm to Novosibriski to Lake Baikal to Vladdivostock (LONG way, almost 150 hours).

Go Bears!
Okay I'll bite. Why would you put yourself through this next year?
TheSouseFamily
I'm not impressed at all with how VAR has been incorporated into the game. Germany just got an absolute gift that should have been a penalty kick for Sweden. I've seen far less egregious fouls get called after the fact with VAR. And it still does nothing to correct missed calls, including ones that should lead to cards. It's far too arbitrary to be useful. It makes me appreciate how much better official replays are in football, basketball and baseball.
Goobear
TheSouseFamily said:

I'm not impressed at all with how VAR has been incorporated into the game. Germany just got an absolute gift that should have been a penalty kick for Sweden. I've seen far less egregious fouls get called after the fact with VAR. And it still does nothing to correct missed calls, including ones that should lead to cards. It's far too arbitrary to be useful. It makes me appreciate how much better official replays are in football, basketball and baseball.
Agreed but will get better
wifeisafurd
PtownBear1 said:

Zerk said:

Another Bear said:

That's pretty awesome. For such a small population, the Icelanders are a pretty impressive bunch. They have 3 airlines for instance.
so your telling me the something like half the healthy male population is soccer players or pilots? (I kid).
CalBearPete
Closest thing to a walk-off win in soccer; fabulous goal by Germany in the last minute of 5 minutes of stoppage time to win.
Goobear
CalBearPete said:

Closest thing to a walk-off win in soccer; fabulous goal by Germany in the last minute of 5 minutes of stoppage time to win.
Yes Germany being Germany. Can never underestimate them ever. Great goal though and great redemption for Kroos who was sloppy at times which resulted in Swedish goal. The Swedes were robbed of a penalty though.
HoopDreams
germany seemed to dominate game early, but sweden got some great shots on goal and scored in first half.
then in second half, both sides got their chances, and in last few minutes had some big moments

but Germany's scored at the last possible moment in dramatic fashion on a beautiful bending kick

a top 10 WC highlight for 2018
calbear80
bonsallbear said:

calbear80 said:

operbear said:

calbear80 said:

World Cup Travel Report:

Go Bears!

Go Bears!
Okay I'll bite. Why would you put yourself through this next year?

OK, since you asked, I'll answer.

After 123 countries and all seven continents, there are few things left to do. Europe will be finished by November. Asia (except North Korea and a few "stans") will be finished by September. So, why not get the Siberian Railway out of the way while I am still relavily young and healthy.

And, my first love, Cal Football, is not setting the world on fire (in the old times, I used to set my travel schedule based on the Cal Football schedule).

And, my second lovel, Cal Basketball, has practically cancelled all games for the next few seasons until a new coach is hired and cleans up the mess created by you know who.

So, why not travell around the world and see all there is to see now.

Go Bears!
TheSouseFamily
Sweden-Germany was probably the best game of the tourney so far despite the hugely impactful and embarrassing non-call (or review) of the German penalty in the box. All three goals scored were beauties, there was tense action throughout and perhaps best of all, very little flopping by either side. If FIFA ever wants to give VAR some teeth (which they obviously don't), they should give yellow or preferably red cards to all clear flops. Granted, that might bump Brazil down to a ranking in the 40s but with it in my view, worth it. And yes, I know hatred of flopping is a uniquely American view of soccer but but it sure was nice to see a clean game today without all that nonsense.
Goobear
TheSouseFamily said:

Sweden-Germany was probably the best game of the tourney so far despite the hugely impactful and embarrassing non-call (or review) of the German penalty in the box. All three goals scored were beauties, there was tense action throughout and perhaps best of all, very little flopping by either side. If FIFA ever wants to give VAR some teeth (which they obviously don't), they should give yellow or preferably red cards to all clear flops. Granted, that might bump Brazil down to a ranking in the 40s but with it in my view, worth it. And yes, I know hatred of flopping is a uniquely American view of soccer but but it sure was nice to see a clean game today without all that nonsense.
Flopping. Growing up in Holland I used to love soccer. Now after football I have more love for that than soccer. Flopping is part of the reason. That is why I have also started to get annoyed with basketball. Flopping in basketball and soccer is joke. Losing respect for both sports. It needs to be abolished with red cards in soccer and kicking players of the court in basketball.

Today's Sweden Germany game got my respect. No more cry babies please. No bs just play the game baby.

Go Bears!
HoopDreams
Goobear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Flopping. Growing up in Holland I used to love soccer. Now after football I have more love for that than soccer. Flopping is part of the reason. That is why I have also started to get annoyed with basketball. Flopping in basketball and soccer is joke. Losing respect for both sports. It needs to be abolished with red cards in soccer and kicking players of the court in basketball.

Today's Sweden Germany game got my respect. No more cry babies please. No bs just play the game baby.

Go Bears!

flopping in hoops could be easily remedied with a one shot technical
not so easy in soccer, unless they go all the way with a yellow card
calbear80
I watched the Germany-Sweden game in the FIFA Fan Fest in Saransk, Russia (it was called Fan Zone during the 2014 Brazil World Cup). FIFA Fan Fest is an outdoor area with drive-in theatre sized huge screen showing the game and with several thousand fans standing, drinking and partying which makes it a very fun place to watch the games (due to the games being in diffierent far-away cities, one would be lucky to catch three or maybe four games live during tge group stage of the World Cup).

Germany-Sweden was a great game. I was extremly happy that Germany won (and I won a dinner bet). I am not sure it was the best in this year's World Cup though.

Do you know that the likely outcome is Brazil vs. Germany in the first knock-out round? Of course, there is one more game left in the group stage and anything can happen.

BTW, many Russians were not happy that Germany scored that last minute goal and won. I guess Russians still remember the WWII. Similarly on tge German side, last month, I was talking to a Getman in Berlin about the World Cup. When I said I hope Germany wins the World Cup in Russia, he said, "We have never won anything in Russia" and he was not talking about Football.

Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.