Poll: Who is your emotional #1 QB: Goff or Rodgers?

10,322 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OneTopOneChickenApple
BearNIt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goff ain't no Rodgers! Not yet at least. See me in 5 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for Goff. Goff has work to do, my affection doesn't come cheap damn it. I NEED WINS!
bearister
The question is who is your emotional favorite not who is the better QB. Clearly AR is better now and Goff will have to have one hell of a career to equal or top AR.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
In the Baldwin offense, Rodgers is my emotional favorite, but he can be replaced in the middle of drives by Goff. I really like them both.
cal93
Pawlawski
oursdor
okaydo said:

oursdor said:

Aaron Rodgers is maybe the best player in the history of the game and should have played in a Rose Bowl. Goff was saddled with three miserable seasons at Cal where he put up empty calorie numbers and lost almost every meaningful conference / rivalry game. I literally can't remember a single legit "highlight" from his three seasons. None of that is his fault but it's not even close for me.

Rank the Top 5 Aaron Rodgers victories at Cal

Honestly most of 2003 and 2004 were a pretty fun time for Cal Football but these stand out for me among the most memorable:

5) 2003: Cal 54 - UW 7 Cal ends a TWENTY EIGHT YEAR home losing streak to the Huskies, Rodgers throws from 350, 3 TDs and rushes for 1.

4) 2003 Big Game: Cal becomes bowl eligible for the first time in 7 seasons, finishes 5-3 in the Pac 10. Rodgers throws for 359 and 3 TDs. First BG win at Stanford since 1993.

3) 2003 Insight Bowl - Rodgers is 27/35 for 394 and 4 TDs, tying the bowl record. Named MVP. First bowl win for Cal in over a decade.

2) 2003: Cal 34 - USC 31 Our last win against SC. 12 - 1 Pac 10, Rose Bowl and National Champion USC. yeah Robertson replaced him in the 3rd, we still don't win without him playing that game. One of the best Cal victories of all time.

1) F Mack Brown

MSaviolives
bearister said:

The question is who is your emotional favorite not who is the better QB. Clearly AR is better now and Goff will have to have one hell of a career to equal or top AR.
I agree that people seem to be answering a different question. My emotional favorite is Goff. This is a guy whose parents both went to Cal, and who went to Cal games as a kid and always wanted to play at Cal. He was and is a California Golden Bear. He did everything asked of him at Cal, including being thrown into the fire as a true freshman. It was not Goff's fault that Sonny's teams couldn't play defense. I was thrilled that Goff was picked #1, and am now thrilled that Goff has worked his way to be a good NFL QB.

Rodgers, on the other hand, has been pretty cold toward us for periods of time, and never has come out as a heartfelt Golden Bear in my opinion. I don't dislike him. I root for him. I am proud of him. As others have described, he went through so much to get where he is today--which is one of the top QBs in the league.

But emotional favorite? For me, it's Goff. Better QB? Obviously Rodgers.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
MSaviolives said:

My emotional favorite is Goff. This is a guy whose parents both went to Cal, and who went to Cal games as a kid and always wanted to play at Cal. He was and is a California Golden Bear. He did everything asked of him at Cal, including being thrown into the fire as a true freshman. It was not Goff's fault that Sonny's teams couldn't play defense. I was thrilled that Goff was picked #1, and am now thrilled that Goff has worked his way to be a good NFL QB.

This says it all. Goff 100%.
25To20
Joe Roth followed closely by Joe Kapp.
chalcidbear
It's Rodgers for me:

Goff came along on a predictable path - he was recruited as a "golden-haired" QB who was going to end up SOMEWHERE in D-1 ball - it just happened to be Cal. Then as a #1 draft pick he started playin gin the pros immediately.

On the other hand, Rodgers wasn't initially recognized as a talent, and only made it to D-1 ball when the Cal guy who was scouting Garrett Cross saw Rodgers at Chico State. Then Rodgers waited patiently at Green Bay until Favre finally gave it up. So emotionally I'm a bigger fan of Rodgers who had to bide his time TWICE before being recognized.
B.A. Bearacus

kelly09
Barry Bronk
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
chalcidbear said:

It's Rodgers for me:

Goff came along on a predictable path - he was recruited as a "golden-haired" QB who was going to end up SOMEWHERE in D-1 ball - it just happened to be Cal. Then as a #1 draft pick he started playin gin the pros immediately.

On the other hand, Rodgers wasn't initially recognized as a talent, and only made it to D-1 ball when the Cal guy who was scouting Garrett Cross saw Rodgers at Chico State. Then Rodgers waited patiently at Green Bay until Favre finally gave it up. So emotionally I'm a bigger fan of Rodgers who had to bide his time TWICE before being recognized.

It's amazing that Trent Dilfer helped discover Rodgers for Tedford and tapped Goff for Elite 11.
MSaviolives
chalcidbear said:

It's Rodgers for me:

Garrett Cross is another emotional favorite. Excellent two years of football. Rugby after football. Gave up opportunity to play for the Packers to lead men in Afghanistan as a Marine. Pat Tillman Foundation scholarship recipient.
okaydo
MSaviolives said:

chalcidbear said:

It's Rodgers for me:

Garrett Cross is another emotional favorite. Excellent two years of football. Rugby after football. Gave up opportunity to play for the Packers to lead men in Afghanistan as a Marine. Pat Tillman Foundation scholarship recipient.

Did he really give up an opportunity to play with the Packers? I thought he went back to Cal after failing to make the Packers for a couple seasons, played Rugby, got his degree, then joined the Marines?
MSaviolives
okaydo said:

MSaviolives said:

chalcidbear said:

It's Rodgers for me:

Did he really give up an opportunity to play with the Packers? I thought he went back to Cal after failing to make the Packers for a couple seasons, played Rugby, got his degree, then joined the Marines?
Depends what you believe. Lindsey Brauner's story suggests more of a "you can't fire me-I quit" scenario.

On the last day of training camp in Green Bay, Rigsbee remembered how Garrett out-shined his competition on the field.
"He tore it up," says Rigsbee.
"They told him, 'Great job, you're going to make the team.' He told them, 'Yeah, I was going to talk to you about that. I'm done.'"

But I think you have the sequence right.

ColoradoBear
MSaviolives said:

okaydo said:

MSaviolives said:

chalcidbear said:

It's Rodgers for me:

Depends what you believe. Lindsey Brauner's story suggests more of a "you can't fire me-I quit" scenario.

On the last day of training camp in Green Bay, Rigsbee remembered how Garrett out-shined his competition on the field.
"He tore it up," says Rigsbee.
"They told him, 'Great job, you're going to make the team.' He told them, 'Yeah, I was going to talk to you about that. I'm done.'"

But I think you have the sequence right.

I just tried to read that story, but it was so cut up and convoluted, it was like watching a mix of mulholand drive and momento with the treatment of the timeline.

I think it said Garrett was inspired to become a Marine at his younger brother's Air Force graduation in 2011.

Definitely wonder how Cross is fairing now.
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
Oh, f*ck.I can't believe this article by a freakin' Rams blog.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/9/14/17862130/los-angeles-rams-trade-hypothetical-jared-goff-in-years-3-or-4-to-acquire-picks-and-a-cheap-qb

bearister
My new NFL team is 2-0. How are the Vegas Raiders doing?
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
I think I'm leaning more towards Goff. Here's why:

1. It feels so good to see him have his best-ever game after the hubbub over him being a system QB.

2. It seems like the Packers start off every season digging themselves a hole, then reemerging to dominate. It's like watching a rerun. So you're less emotionally involved. (The Packers and the Browns have the same record right now.)

3. I got NFL Sunday Ticket* in years past to watch Packers games. Now, I'm more likely to watch Red Zone in the early window while keeping an illegal stream of the Packers game on an iPad, thus I pay a less attention to the Packers game because there were 9 other games going on at the same time. Because the Rams usually play in the late window, they tend to have terrible competition. So you pay attention to Goff & Co.

(*NFL Sunday Ticket's streaming service, which I have, only allows you to watch one channel at a time. So I have to resort to finding a stream of the Packers game, which isn't that bad. But it drops out every 20 minutes.)
bearister
How lucky do you think Raider fans feel that switched allegiance to the Rams? 0-3 vs 3-0.
moonpod
Goff. but I'm a rams fan too, so it's easy to choose
okaydo
bearister said:

How lucky do you think Raider fans feel that switched allegiance to the Rams? 0-3 vs 3-0.

Man, you gotta feel sorry for Bay Area NFL fans...
bearister
okaydo said:

bearister said:

Man, you gotta feel sorry for Bay Area NFL fans...

Vegas is getting a giant turd gift wrapped with a bow on its front door mat. Methinks River Boat Jack could have done equal to or better than $100 million Chucky so far.
OneTopOneChickenApple
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

MSaviolives said:

My emotional favorite is Goff. This is a guy whose parents both went to Cal, and who went to Cal games as a kid and always wanted to play at Cal. He was and is a California Golden Bear. He did everything asked of him at Cal, including being thrown into the fire as a true freshman. It was not Goff's fault that Sonny's teams couldn't play defense. I was thrilled that Goff was picked #1, and am now thrilled that Goff has worked his way to be a good NFL QB.

This says it all. Goff 100%.
Also, Goff will say "Cal" during the player introductions.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.