Attending games at Memorial in 2019 - What will motivate you?

11,267 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
rkt88edmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kick offs after 5pm make it less likely
Not having at least 2 weeks to plan for kick off time (Live locally but still need advance notice to plan) make it less likely.

Things I would like more of:
Fan day back in the stadium with the football team. I'm glad they are involving other sports, but let football lead the way.
More Cal Band. Way better than piped in music.
I like the big growl - maybe because my kid won once, but my god, of all the silly cams and silly promos, the growl off is the only one I really enjoy. I don't mind most of the silly cam stuff but would rather watch replays on the screen of the game highlights and listen to the band.
GMP
Another Bear said:

Often what starts as consensual turns into something else, especially when there's international travel involved, i.e., they're stranded in another country and the PIMPS take away passports. On the back end of that, extortion or pressure that "someone" might hurt a family member back home can keep people from running, or there's a financial debt involved. Pretty grim circumstance.

The report I read stated the locals police noticed the workers were living on premises (didn't have cars?)...which usually means they're being held against their will. That seems like reasonable, common sense thinking. If it were consensual, wouldn't workers be free to leave?

BTW, while sex work involved in human trafficking (aka slavery) gets the most news coverage, the majority is domestic work or industrial work like the garment industry.

As an update here:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26507622/lawyer-argues-kraft-video-release-authorities-say-spa-not-linked-human-trafficking

Quote:

Investigators initially said they were targeting human traffickers, but Assistant State Attorney Greg Kridos told the judge there was no evidence of human trafficking at the Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Florida -- claims Kraft was never linked to.

Burck said the previously highly publicized allegations of human trafficking by both police and State Attorney Dave Aronberg had amounted to "politicking" and that they added to potential harm to Kraft's privacy in releasing video evidence while also jeopardizing his right to a fair trial on two counts of solicitation.

I still shouldn't have made that joke when things were in doubt, but I think we can all safely relax and make fun of Kraft now.
nwbear84
I've only been making the trip, from Seattle, for home games the last few years, but what I do is get an early AM flight and a place to stay over to Sunday. Then it doesn't matter what the start time is.

I'll probably target a game in October and/or early November. Weather will be better than Seattle, so regardless of the game it makes for a nice weekend getaway.

azulviejo
No night games.
No weeknight games.
Being able to plan, by knowing the time of kickoff.
More Cal Band. Less crap, like the bear growl and bad piped in music.
Fewer TV time outs.

Hmmm...looks like I will be staying at home, for most games.
tequila4kapp
I just want to see good solid football being played on both sides of the ball.
Larno
Season tickets for over 40 years, will go to the games regardless of time unless sick or a conflict, something that happens rarely. As for school, was there '71 to '73, after two years at a JC. Tuition $212/quarter, room and board $900/year (not a dorm). Paid my way with summer job, although my mother did send me $50/month walking around money.
oskidunker
Same here. Ccc then Cal. Out in 1970
Go Bears!
MugsVanSant
I paid for my season tickets three months ago simply out of force of habit. Now that I have paid them I have to go even though I can see the game much better on TV. I can't make binoculars work for me. Last year I was able to see better without my glasses than with them.

In my day fees (including tuition) were $212.50 per quarter. Those were good times. Reagan was governor. Everyone hated Reagan for the tuition. Now that we have had Democrats as governors it has gotten much worse.
cal83dls79
Win, and win more. Easy question.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
kjkbear
No need for motivation this year. Since the first game at North Carolina when Wilcox used the rules to his advantage, But no night games any longer unless it's a bowl game
TandemBear
If my daughter chooses to attend Cal, then I'm pretty sure it's a done deal for me! Not sure if the rest of the family will join me though...

Otherwise, it'll be a wait and see thing. Actually it won't. Won't be getting season tix. Will probably attend one or two games, depending on my former dorm roommate's plans for attending. I bought a three-pack of games last year and it was fun, but the losses were hard to take. Bad taste in mouth yet again...
GivemTheAxe
TomBear said:

As a season ticket holder, I'm already motivated to go. For me, it's what are the things which will NOT motivate me to go.

Here are the plusses:
A team that fights to the end and never gives up.
Walking through campus/campus area, and the buzz before the game.
Cal Band, particularly pre-game and the post game concert.
The student traditions from the cannon, to the yells, to hearing the Cal songs and the card stunts (as bad as they've gotten).
Fellowship with other Cal fans.
The beauty of the setting, and the architecture of CMS. Nothing compares.
Seeing the team fight and compete, win or lose. I prefer victory, but can tolerate some defeats if I feel the team performed to their ability and never gave up.

Here are the things that might de-motivate me:
A team that doesn't fight.
3 year olds doing "Bear Growls"
Hearing the words "Cal fans......" immediately at the stoppage of play. When play stops, the FIRST thing I want to hear is Cal Band. Then the marketing folks can do almost whatever they want. But give us Cal Band FIRST when play stops.
Since I come up from L.A., not knowing start times is destroying my travel enjoyment. I want to make plans ahead of time, and not knowing kickoff times is really draining me of my travel enthusiasm.
Thursday and/or Friday night games. Football was meant for Saturday afternoons. I won't fight L.A. traffic and my grueling work ethic to travel for a weekday game. Even if a Thursday or Friday night game is in L.A., I've done them before, and I hate them. Access, parking, long day........nope.
I am willing to do a night game or two. But the more games are put off into the evening, the less I get enthused.
Piped in crap.

Bottom line is this: If I wanted to watch the game only, I could stay at home and see the game in the comfort of my own couch, have my own easily accessible beverages and food, not fight for restroom time, not sit in a cramped seat that is very uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of (stadium interior seating design sucks!!!), and turn off the advertising. That's if I only wanted to watch the game. But I want the whole Cal experience. When the Cal Game Day experience is screwed up, then I'm left only with the game, and I can watch that on TV. Take note, marketing department.......and this time read your notes!

I may have already posted that I like your comments. But one additional comment. If you hate getting in and out of seats, consider moving to the bench seating areas. Yes no official seat backs but plenty of room for my "rear end" which gets bigger with the passing years. My season ticket seating is in row 72 of section WW. Price is less than bother sectionsvtgat have individual seats. Butt much roomier
oskidunker
The whole stadium has bench seating. There is more room in the bench seat back areas. I love it but it is expensive.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
We need some of these "lazy promotions".
SanseiBear
I decided not to renew my season tickets this year only because it is getting more difficult flying in from Honolulu at my age (80). but I'll still try to make it to a game or two.

GO BEARS!
oskidunker
You are doing better than I would!
Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.