Alex Morgan Scored 5 Goals. USA Won 13-0 In The World Cup Opener.

9,743 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oski003
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my 50+ years of watching World Cup Soccer I have never seen such a thing.

Go Bears!

P.S. No, this post is not OT, it is about Football!

P.S.S. This feels specially good because our Men National Team lost 3-0 to Venezuela just a couple of days ago.
Yogi58
It's the equivalent of Cal vs Presbyterian in American football
bearister
The cover of Time saved her from the SI cover jinx.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
heartofthebear
Alex Morgan may outscore our football team this year.
burritos

calbear70
The USA team should not be celebrating a 13-0 win in soccer.This is like winning 91 -0 in football. Thailand could be beaten by any college team. Just shake hands and walk off the field.
calbear70
The tea celebration was not my favorite. You should respect your opponents. Rapinoe needs to keep her mouth shut. She has a right to her opinion about Trump but when you are representing your country in a foreign land you keep those comments to your self. I was very upset by her callous comments.
Chabbear
In response to that shellacking, the soccer federation wants to increase the number of teams to 32 from 24!

https://sports.yahoo.com/fifa-considering-expanding-womens-world-cup-from-24-teams-to-32-teams-161054446.html

Big C
calbear70 said:

The tea celebration was not my favorite. You should respect your opponents. Rapinoe needs to keep her mouth shut. She has a right to her opinion about Trump but when you are representing your country in a foreign land you keep those comments to your self. I was very upset by her callous comments.
Imagine that, somebody representing the United States of America making callous comments! For shame!
burritos
calbear70 said:

Are you more upset about the tea gesture(which again was a shout out to Sophie Turner'<who is british and wasn't upset)s tea thing) or about Marshawn's sack grab?

Or Chad Hansen's horn down?

Or Chase Garber's SC V down?

I suspect the girl thing irks males the most while the male taunts aren't as bothersome if not outright applauded.

bearister
I disapproved of taunting/celebrating in the old days but since you ran the risk of getting your a$$ kicked you still had to give it some respect. These days athletes at all levels know they are under a nuclear umbrella of protection so now it is basically a pu$$ie move. As I said in a previous post, if you celebrated a TD against Jack Tatum you ran the risk of eating your dinner through a tube and if you pulled a Barry Bonds admiration pose of your homer off Don Drysdale you knew you would be eating a 100 MPH fastball to your head at your next at bat.
OdontoBear66
bearister said:

I disapproved of taunting/celebrating in the old days but since you ran the risk of getting your a$$ kicked you still had to give it some respect. These days athletes at all levels know they are under a nuclear umbrella of protection so now it is basically a pu$$ie move. As I said in a previous post, if you celebrated a TD against Jack Tatum you ran the risk of eating your dinner through a tube and if you pulled a Barry Bonds admiration pose of your homer off Don Drysdale you knew you would be eating a 100 MPH fastball to your head at your next at bat.
Those were the days. So we developed safe spaces today for words that fly slower and hit softer than a Drysdale fast ball.
bearister
...and Ali was the textbook example of someone who could talk the talk and walk the walk.

burritos
bearister said:

You think Marshawn would fear Jack Tatum?
GBear4Life
bearister said:

Guys that had good parents don't showboat or taunt unprovoked.
FuzzyWuzzy
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

Those were the days. So we developed safe spaces today for words that fly slower and hit softer than a Drysdale fast ball.
Oh, I don't know about the slower and softer part. Words like racist, sexual assaulter, white supremacist, ignorant, uneducated and deplorable are pretty hard hitting. It should be illegal to call someone one of those words.
FuzzyWuzzy
GBear4Life said:

bearister said:

Guys that had good parents don't showboat or taunt unprovoked.
Agreed. Nor are they racist, sexist, white nationalist, narcissist, uneducated, disrespectful, ignorant, corrupt, greedy or selfish.
bearister
burritos said:

bearister said:

You think Marshawn would fear Jack Tatum?

I don't know anything about their respective fighting skills when they were both in their primes. Lynch probably wouldn't be afraid so he would fall in the category of someone who could back up his mouthing off like Ali could.
FuzzyWuzzy
bearister said:

A pitcher throwing at a hitter is the pu$$i move in my opinion. If the game has devolved to throwing at each other, the guy knows he is not coming up to the plate to take some of his own medicine. He gets to throw at someone then check out of the game.

Here is Philadelphia's Jake Arrieta (P) talking about a Mets player he is in a beef with:
""Frazier's not happy about it he can come see me. I'll put a dent in his skull."

Someone needs to tell the dude that his fastball is a deadly weapon and if he throws at a Mets player the cops should be waiting in the clubhouse tunnel. He just telegraphed that he's endangering someone's life on purpose.

The whole pitcher throwing at an opponent needs to be eliminated from the game.
bearister
I see your point, but "pu$$ie" is not how any of his contemporaries referred to Don Drysdale (or Bob Gibson, who would also gladly lower your IQ a couple of points if you disrespected him).
GBear4Life
For supposed tough guys, MLB players are sooo sensitive.

Beaning guys is pansy. You've got 8 friends behind you and you'll never see the batter's box for retaliation.

You got a problem with something your opponent did THAT MUCH? So much that physical retaliation is necessary in your eyes? Be a man and fight him.

While I think showboating is generally low IQ behavior, a grown man getting so butt hurt that somebody flipped their bat after a home run, or stole a base up 10 runs, or broke up a no hitter with a bunt-hit is so BETA it's not even funny.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Not that I disagree with most of the opinions here, but Don Drysdale and Bob Gibson played when pitchers did have to bat every time through the order. I can't recall ever hearing of them being thrown at though. Throwing at batters is weak and should have been removed from the game decades ago.
bearister
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Not that I disagree with most of the opinions here, but Don Drysdale and Bob Gibson played when pitchers did have to bat every time through the order. I can't recall ever hearing of them being thrown at though. Throwing at batters is weak and should have been removed from the game decades ago.

Koufax refused to throw at batters...but he was brave enough to come to a teammates assistance, unarmed, against Juan, who was wielding a deadly weapon.

TomBear
Back to the soccer victory......

What a great performance by our women. I never had a feeling, in any game, that they were in jeopardy. They just continued to attack and their desire was very apparent in the way they finished each game.

Now, I will say that I am not only disappointed, but am a bit disgusted by the mouthing off, and some of the antics. That totally marred my overall admiration for the team. So from an athletic standpoint I'm thrilled. From a sportsmanship/political standpoint I have lost a great deal of respect for (some of) them.

One thing that came up over and over was the chemistry of the team. In my opinion, being able to enjoy each other both on and off the field of competition is one of the most important aspects of team success. This team totally had it. And it is one reason why culture is so important in a program. Wilcox gets it. And it's just one of the reasons I believe Cal football is going to provide success and pride for many years (if we can keep him).

Rugby World Cup is just a few weeks away. I hope the Eagles execute as well as the U.S. Women's soccer team, but do so with more dignity and class.
ColoradoBear
TomBear said:

What a great performance by our women. I never had a feeling, in any game, that they were in jeopardy. They just continued to attack and their desire was very apparent in the way they finished each game.

Now, I will say that I am not only disappointed, but am a bit disgusted by the mouthing off, and some of the antics. That totally marred my overall admiration for the team.

Unrelated, what's your opinion on bat flipping?

Or?

?w=326&zoom=2
OneKeg
TomBear said:

Now, I will say that I am not only disappointed, but am a bit disgusted by the mouthing off, and some of the antics. That totally marred my overall admiration for the team. So from an athletic standpoint I'm thrilled. From a sportsmanship/political standpoint I have lost a great deal of respect for (some of) them.

One thing that came up over and over was the chemistry of the team. In my opinion, being able to enjoy each other both on and off the field of competition is one of the most important aspects of team success. This team totally had it. And it is one reason why culture is so important in a program. Wilcox gets it. And it's just one of the reasons I believe Cal football is going to provide success and pride for many years (if we can keep him).

Rugby World Cup is just a few weeks away. I hope the Eagles execute as well as the U.S. Women's soccer team, but do so with more dignity and class.
I posted the following reply to the same post you made on the insider board. Copying my response here too:

------------------------------------

I agree with much of your post.

But I completely disagree that it is in any way "disgusting" for these women in their 20s and 30s to express their opinions publicly, including political and forceful ones.

Why is it "mouthing off" when they do it? Was it mouthing off when Scott Fujita expressed his opinions on issues? Muhammad Ali? It's absolutely understandable to disagree with their opinions, but it is most definitely not disgusting that they were expressed... especially in light of the constant barrage of far more insulting and petty drivel emanating from our country's leaders.

Regardless, Go USWNT and Go Bears!
sp4149
bearister said:

Koufax refused to throw at batters...but he was brave enough to come to a teammates assistance, unarmed, against Juan, who was wielding a deadly weapon.

Actually Koufax wasn't that brave. The catcher threw the ball back to Koufax next to Marichal's head, perhaps hitting his ear. A bush league move, and Marichal, the batter (with a bat in his hand) turned to confront him. The now, enraged catcher (who does not deserve to be recognized) chased Marichal back toward the pitcher's mound, where Koufax was still standing. From the Vin Scully audio I thought that Marichal and turned out hit the catcher while in the batter's box. Years later when I saw the full video, I saw that the catcher chased Marichal to the base of the pitcher's mound where Koufax was standing. Koufax didn't really rush to his teammates defense.

If the catcher had charged a policeman holding a riot baton (nightstick) and backed the officer into a corner with some of his friends behind the officer, and the officer fearing for his life, beat him to death with the nightstick; the verdict would have been justifiable homicide...
TomBear
Colorado: No, i do not like the bat flipping, or any other "me" oriented showmanship/flamboyance that athletes on a team commit. I like competition to be intense, tough, and done in the spirit of camaraderie of all involved. That is one of the reasons I took to rugby and maintain my enthusiasm for the game. Team should always be bigger than the individual. When it isn't, it creates attention to individuals rather than the team and if someone's ego is so fragile they need the extra attention, I suggest individual sports rather than team sports.

One Keg: I responded on the other board, but in order to share with all, here is how I responded to your comment:

To clarify my thoughts on "mouthing off"......I have no problem with people having their own opinions, and expressing them off a national stage (from my perspective) is fine. I hate it, though, when representatives of our country are overseas and create un-needed controversy with their statements or antics. In general, I feel similar to how I felt when kaepernick took a knee during the anthem. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I am old school in that way, and unashamed of those feelings.

The women did a terrific job in execution of their game. They played well, and deserved the championship. I wish they had left me feeling they did a terrific job in representing their country. I do not feel they did as well as they could have, (though I admit it could have been far worse, too).
OneKeg
TomBear - thanks for sharing your thoughts. Obviously I disagree.

I think our athletes and entertainers, like everyone else, not only can but if inclined, should express themselves, not just hold opinions privately. As with everyone else, folks can then agree or disagree with their opinions.

That holds true whether it's the USWNT's opinions on Trump, Scott Fujita's opinions on marriage equality, Muhammad Ali's opinions on the Viet Nam War, Colin Kaepernick protesting what he feels is systemic racism, Charlton Heston becoming the president of and speaking on behalf of the NRA, Johnny Damon speaking in favor of Trump or Tom Brady wearing a MAGA hat.

Even Donald Trump, before he was President, when he was an entertainer - a reality TV personality and businessman with mixed results, felt no compunction about promoting the controversial Obama birther garbage. Or prior to that, calling for the death of the Central Park Five who were exonerated. I utterly disagreed with what he had to say and still do, but did not think it was improper for him to express himself on such controversial topics in the first place.

Again, to be clear, I respect your opinion but disagree with it.

Will also post this on Insider board for continuity.
OdontoBear66
OneKeg said:

I think our athletes and entertainers, like everyone else, not only can but if inclined, should express themselves, not just hold opinions privately. As with everyone else, folks can then agree or disagree with their opinions.

That holds true whether it's the USWNT's opinions on Trump, Scott Fujita's opinions on marriage equality, Muhammad Ali's opinions on the Viet Nam War, Colin Kaepernick protesting what he feels is systemic racism, Charlton Heston becoming the president of and speaking on behalf of the NRA, Johnny Damon speaking in favor of Trump or Tom Brady wearing a MAGA hat.

Even Donald Trump, before he was President, when he was an entertainer - a reality TV personality and businessman with mixed results, felt no compunction about promoting the controversial Obama birther garbage. Or prior to that, calling for the death of the Central Park Five who were exonerated. I utterly disagreed with what he had to say and still do, but did not think it was improper for him to express himself on such controversial topics in the first place.

The problem I have with entertainers and sports figures doing same is that they have achieved fame for their performance on stage or on the field of play and then in turn use that fame as a stage to vocalize their opinions. Pick any celeb you want, meaning it can be of any persuasion, it is just that Megan Rapinoe's opinion on a subject is worth NO MORE THAN YOURS OR MINE, but because she has fame and spotlight on her she uses that platform to espouse her opinion. That I do not think is right (and by the way I agree with what her protest is, just not the "****ing", etc.). I wholeheartedly think the women should be paid as much or more than the men soccer players (they have done relatively nothing in comparison); I do believe she should make the strong case for LBG rights and equality, but do so with a measure of class. Dividing America in front of an international audience is not the place.
GMP
OdontoBear66 said:

OneKeg said:

The problem I have with entertainers and sports figures doing same is that they have achieved fame for their performance on stage or on the field of play and then in turn use that fame as a stage to vocalize their opinions. Pick any celeb you want, meaning it can be of any persuasion, it is just that Megan Rapinoe's opinion on a subject is worth NO MORE THAN YOURS OR MINE, but because she has fame and spotlight on her she uses that platform to espouse her opinion. That I do not think is right (and by the way I agree with what her protest is, just not the "****ing", etc.). I wholeheartedly think the women should be paid as much or more than the men soccer players (they have done relatively nothing in comparison); I do believe she should make the strong case for LBG rights and equality, but do so with a measure of class. Dividing America in front of an international audience is not the place.
Who says that by stating her opinion on the platform she has her opinion is worth more than anyone else's? Many people have a platform, and if only those who have achieved that platform for work on the subject matter of the opinion being expressed were allowed to express the opinion, you would be suppressing quite a lot of discourse.
OneKeg
OdontoBear66 said:

OneKeg said:

Just to be clear - I never said Rapinoe's opinion (since you mentioned her) is worth more than any of ours. Sure she has a platform/spotlight right now. Lots of people do.

We have other much more prominent figures than her nationally who have used their fame to either serve themselves or espouse their opinions to a far greater extent. I gave some specific examples in my post above (pre-2016 Trump, Charlton Heston). These were controversial positions that divided America.

Why is it Megan Rapinoe that needs to shut up?
bearister
sp4149 said:

bearister said:

Actually Koufax wasn't that brave. The catcher threw the ball back to Koufax next to Marichal's head, perhaps hitting his ear. A bush league move, and Marichal, the batter (with a bat in his hand) turned to confront him. The now, enraged catcher (who does not deserve to be recognized) chased Marichal back toward the pitcher's mound, where Koufax was still standing. From the Vin Scully audio I thought that Marichal and turned out hit the catcher while in the batter's box. Years later when I saw the full video, I saw that the catcher chased Marichal to the base of the pitcher's mound where Koufax was standing. Koufax didn't really rush to his teammates defense.

If the catcher had charged a policeman holding a riot baton (nightstick) and backed the officer into a corner with some of his friends behind the officer, and the officer fearing for his life, beat him to death with the nightstick; the verdict would have been justifiable homicide...

Sandy was my hero...and I was an Oakland boy. You are just a Dodger hater.

OdontoBear66
OneKeg said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OneKeg said:

Just to be clear - I never said Rapinoe's opinion (since you mentioned her) is worth more than any of ours. Sure she has a platform/spotlight right now. Lots of people do.

We have other much more prominent figures than her nationally who have used their fame to either serve themselves or espouse their opinions to a far greater extent. I gave some specific examples in my post above (pre-2016 Trump, Charlton Heston). These were controversial positions that divided America.

Uh, I think Rapinoe was brought up because this is a post World Cup soccer thread. I did not say that "you said....." I merely gave what my opinion was about entertainers and sports figures who gain stage using that stage. Because someone is a great actor doesn't mean their pearls of wisdom are pearls at all.
OneKeg
OdontoBear66 said:

OneKeg said:

OdontoBear66 said:

OneKeg said:

Uh, I think Rapinoe was brought up because this is a post World Cup soccer thread. I did not say that "you said....." I merely gave what my opinion was about entertainers and sports figures who gain stage using that stage. Because someone is a great actor doesn't mean their pearls of wisdom are pearls at all.
Right, that's why I said "just to be clear" in case anyone thought I had said it because it might have seemed that way from your all caps section. Wasn't indicating you were saying I said it, or that there was any problem with you bringing up Rapinoe in a WWC thread. I just used it as a segue.

Again entertainers and sports figures can and have gained a stage and use that stage all the time. I gave several examples including pre-2016 Trump and Heston, Brady and Damon. I don't remember this level of national condemnation for the others at the time they expressed their opinions, besides Kaepernick. Kind of seems like there are only certain types of opinions that are off limits if athletes or entertainers express them using their platform.

Not talking about disagreement with opinions expressed - disagreement is fine. But rather saying that they should not even speak up. I think they can and should.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.