Mean Green Win Bar Celebration

16,407 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal88
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jtm0097 said:

Thank you for the welcome! We are staying in San Francisco for the weekend and taking the BART to the stadium.

Our best win from 2018 was the blow out of Arkansas 44 to 17. That was huge for recruiting and national publicity.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2018/09/16/a-program-changer-how-the-mean-green-stunned-arkansas-and-won-their-first-game-against-an-sec-opponent-since-1975/

That would be 2-10 Arkansas?
American Vermin
dajo9
Sebastabear said:

Jtm0097 said:

We are making the trip from Texas. I guess I should leave my MAGA hat at home, I know how liberal y'all are. I kid, I don't have a MAGA hat. Even if I did, why in the hell would I wear it in public.

On a side note, I am looking forward to visiting California for the first time. I am hoping for a competitive game. We played like complete crap against SMU last week. If we come out flat, you guys will take us to the woodshed.

Please be nice to the few UNT fans. We will return the favor when you visit us in a few years.
Welcome to Berkeley. Please don't have any concern about folks being nice to your fans. This is probably the least hostile P5 fanbase in the world. We're thrilled to have you join us.
True, the fanbase is not hostile. However, visiting fans should avoid the south end zone where antifa tends to congregate. They are not there for the game, if you know what I mean.
American Vermin
Big C
Jtm0097 said:

Thank you for the welcome! We are staying in San Francisco for the weekend and taking the BART to the stadium.

Our best win from 2018 was the blow out of Arkansas 44 to 17. That was huge for recruiting and national publicity.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2018/09/16/a-program-changer-how-the-mean-green-stunned-arkansas-and-won-their-first-game-against-an-sec-opponent-since-1975/

Have a great trip to the Bay Area! We hope you enjoy game day, in particular (without winning, however, obviously).

LOL, the MAGA hats: I saw my first one ever (live and in person) just this last summer in Oakdale, Calif (interior of state is pretty red). Hey, tens of thousands of people in the Bay Area voted for Trump ... and hundreds will even admit to it. When the subject is sports, though, who cares about that other crap? Time and place for everything.

Go Bears!
Sebastabear
dajo9 said:

Sebastabear said:

Jtm0097 said:

We are making the trip from Texas. I guess I should leave my MAGA hat at home, I know how liberal y'all are. I kid, I don't have a MAGA hat. Even if I did, why in the hell would I wear it in public.

On a side note, I am looking forward to visiting California for the first time. I am hoping for a competitive game. We played like complete crap against SMU last week. If we come out flat, you guys will take us to the woodshed.

Please be nice to the few UNT fans. We will return the favor when you visit us in a few years.
Welcome to Berkeley. Please don't have any concern about folks being nice to your fans. This is probably the least hostile P5 fanbase in the world. We're thrilled to have you join us.
True, the fanbase is not hostile. However, visiting fans should avoid the south end zone where antifa tends to congregate. They are not there for the game, if you know what I mean.
For our friends from North Texas, this is a joke. I know it's sometimes hard to tell with us.
dajo9
Sebastabear said:

dajo9 said:

Sebastabear said:

Jtm0097 said:

For our friends from North Texas, this is a joke. I know it's sometimes hard to tell with us.
Sebastabear won't let me have any fun, but he's right. I am joking. The antifa crowd in the south end zone take their football very seriously.
American Vermin
Jtm0097
ANTIFA doesn't scare me. I'll stick a boot in their ass, it's the American way.
dajo9
Jtm0097 said:

You're tougher than the North Carolina crowd from last year (or was it Ole Miss, 2017?). Some of them were legit nervous about antifa at a Cal football game - which is laughable and the inspiration for my bad jokes.
American Vermin
Another Bear
Nothing to fear with antifa... but if you see a roaming herd of naked people on Telegraph, take it from me...RUN or you'll never get that image out of your brain.
JSC 76
I think the original question got buried in the bad advice, hotel recommendations, and political discussions.

Berkeley's not a big town for pre/post game bar scene; in most of the city you would be hard-pressed to determine that it's a football Saturday. There are dozens of nice restaurants, but you won't find them full of fans.

The exception would be Henry's, on Durant Ave. It has a lively pre-game party.

Telegraph Ave is a main commercial venue that runs right into campus at Sproul Plaza and Bancroft Ave. But it's not a big pre-game party scene.
calumnus
6forHeisman.com said:

rkt88edmo said:

read up on edibles, many people get in over their head and take a hospital trip unnecessarily lol
I'm very well versed in edibles, made some mistakes in the past lol

Dosing and pace with edibles is critical. It takes longer to hit the bloodstream going through he digestive track. Tempting to eat another little gummi when the first doesn't seem to be working.....don't.
calumnus
Jtm0097 said:

Actually the American way is to BE an anti-fascist and kick some Nazi butt.

calumnus
6forHeisman.com said:

Sebastabear said:

Welcome to Berkeley. Telegraph is your best bet but a typical college bar strip it is not. Still some fun spots. But if you are looking for a place to drink after your next victory I think you might want to look in Texas not here :]
I'm excited for this game, I've heard great things about Cal's defense but our offense can ball! Should be a good one!

Your strength against our strength, our weakness against your weakness.

Though we have very good running backs in Brown and Dancy and the grad transfer from Michigan, Kekoa Crawford, now gives us a downfield threat....
calumnus
packawana said:

There's some great bars and restaurants in that area of SoMA. I'm completely serious. Check out Buzzworks for beer, Iza Ramen SoMA, or the DNA Lounge if you're into shows. I just visited a penthouse at one of the new apartment buildings in that neighborhood and my God it was sleek.

Oh man, Rocco's Cafe on Harrison is about 10 min walk from their hotel. I dream about their cioppino. Unfortunately crab season is still two months away.
calumnus
JSC 76 said:

I think the original question got buried in the bad advice, hotel recommendations, and political discussions.

Berkeley's not a big town for pre/post game bar scene; in most of the city you would be hard-pressed to determine that it's a football Saturday. There are dozens of nice restaurants, but you won't find them full of fans.

The exception would be Henry's, on Durant Ave. It has a lively pre-game party.

Telegraph Ave is a main commercial venue that runs right into campus at Sproul Plaza and Bancroft Ave. But it's not a big pre-game party scene.

If you walk up to Market St from your hotel you can take BART to Downtown Berkeley Station. The game is relatively early, so I'd recommend drinking near the station downtown (west of campus) rather than Telegraph (south of campus).

Across the street from the BART station is Jupiter a brew-pub with an outdoor patio. Weather should be nice. Pizza is decent (but save room for Top Dog).

After a few beers follow the crowd up Center Streetthere is a Top Dog there, stop order a dog and read the libertarian literature. Cross the street and head up through campus through the redwoods along side Strawberry Creek heading toward the Campanile (bell tower). You can veer right toward Sproul Plaza (Anti-Fascist in the 30s and 40's, Civil Rights in the 50's, Free Speech In the 60's, Anti-war In the 70's, Anti-Aparteid in the 80's...) the Cal band and cheerleaders are there for a pre-game rally you can follow them to the stadium head over to Telegraph or instead of all that just head straight up to the Campanile from Center Street after your Top Dog. Go up to the top to take in the view if you have time, or continue up the road to the right of the Campanile.

Across the bridge over the creek to your right you will see the Faculty Glade and Faculty Club-the later another good spot for a pre-game drink. They have a bar and there is usually a keg in the great room (stained glass above the doors represents the great universities of the world). The Cal architecture prof that designed it also designed the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite. A contingent of the band comes through on the way to the stadium. Follow the crowd up through the Business School to the Stadium.

If you are there early enough (which I doubt) you can grab another drink on the field to the left of the stadium (with view of Castle-like Bowles Hall) or head down the road to the right of the stadium to the International House, one of two (the other in New York next to Columbia) dorms built by John D Rockefeller in the 20's to promote international understanding and racial integration. They usually have a keg and have great views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge (and the passing crowd) from their front deck....

We now sell beer at the games too.

rkt88edmo
For an interesting MAGA related moment - if you visit the Ferry Building to sample the wonderful food of the many vendors, continue east along the waterfront another 200 yards or so to Pier 14.

Walk out along it, enjoy the art, poems, the beautiful views of the Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Campanile on Cal's campus, and the political intersection of a young woman who died in the arms of her father from a bullet, fired from a firearm which was previously stolen from a federal agent's vehicle four days prior, while being handled by an undocumented immigrant previously deported five times who had been released by San Francisco authorities under the SF Sanctuary City policy rather than being held for yet another deportation as requested by ICE, while Oakland looks on silently from across the bay ~ as opined about by Trump in his 2016 RNC speech.
Sebastabear
rkt88edmo said:

For an interesting MAGA related moment - if you visit the Ferry Building to sample the wonderful food of the many vendors, continue east along the waterfront another 200 yards or so to Pier 14.

Walk out along it, enjoy the art, poems, the beautiful views of the Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Campanile on Cal's campus, and the political intersection of a young woman who died in the arms of her father from a bullet, fired from a firearm which was being handled by an undocumented immigrant previously deported five times who had been released by San Francisco authorities under the SF Sanctuary City policy rather than being held for yet another deportation as requested by ICE, while Oakland looks on silently from across the bay ~ as opined about by Trump in his 2016 RNC speech.
And here we go. Imminent thread lock in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 .....
rkt88edmo
oh come on now, it really is an honest point of interest
Another Bear
rkt88edmo said:

Walk out along it, enjoy the art, poems, the beautiful views of the Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Campanile on Cal's campus, and the political intersection of a young woman who died in the arms of her father from a bullet, fired from a firearm which was previously stolen from a federal agent's vehicle four days prior, while being handled by an undocumented immigrant previously deported five times who had been released by San Francisco authorities under the SF Sanctuary City policy rather than being held for yet another deportation as requested by ICE, while Oakland looks on silently from across the bay ~ as opined about by Trump in his 2016 RNC speech.
Yes that was tragic in every sense...but you want to tag that on Oakland looking on silently? GTFO.

Otherwise, it's too bad that a ranger left his firearm in his car. Not his fault. Also it's been proven in court the shooter didn't know what he was doing and was playing with the gun when it went off. Still tragic, a person is still dead but you're going to blame this on ICE and sanctuary city?

I'm calling it a firearms control issue. There's on average 1+ mass shootings a day in the U.S., more mass shooting than days in 2019...and you want to go off on that? Control guns and all the shooting deaths go down...but no, you have to make an issue about it being something else.
rkt88edmo
I can see how it is unclear - my intention is that Oakland looks on silently as their sons and daughters are killed at a much higher rate with generally little fanfare.

But Homicide rates in the USA, Oakland, and SF are down quite a bit. Much better than that run of triple digit years in the early aughts for the bay area big cities.
Another Bear
You should really stop while you only have your foot in your mouth. Seems you're going for the knee or thigh.
rkt88edmo
Another Bear said:

You should really stop while you only have your foot in your mouth. Seems you're going for the knee or thigh.
Lol - your argument on guns is incoherent as is your above post, so I'm fine with where my feet are at. Sebasta you were right :\
Cal8285
calumnus said:

Jtm0097 said:

Well, this wasn't the "official" American way when that cover came out. It was the first cover, Captain America #1, dated March 1941 but on sale December 20, 1941, almost a year before Pearl Harbor when the U.S. was officially "neutral."

There was hate mail, there were death threats, the offices of Timely Comics got police protection. Doesn't mean the majority of readers were opposed, but still. It took a Japanese attack on the U.S. and Hitler declaring war on the U.S. to make virtually all Americans agree that Captain American should be kicking Nazi butt.
cal83dls79
WhipItOutJoe said:

Another Bear said:

Big C said:

C'mon guys. He made the effort to visit us. Wish more opponents did...

6forHeisman, tell us a little about your school, your area of Texas and your team.

Go Bears!
A little bit of graciousness and Texas charm would have gone a long way in his intro and messages, instead of the Texas LOUD, Texas PROUD thing. No wants a visitor to have a bad time but work up to the smack talk after getting the needed details.
Did you guys not see the little winky emoji in his OP - pretty sure he was being tongue-in-cheek - .

If nothing else, Texans are generally quite polite. I'm looking forward to that game - bought some club level seats on stubhub.

As far as recommending Kips, I presume that is also tongue-in-cheek, or has it been so long since I've been there that it is actually worth going to now?

Go Bears!
Kips is a pit. He should do Raleigh's move to Papys then the the Durant to get the Cal experience. Oddly I love the faculty club too for reasonable drinks and good Bears.
Jupiter is nice as another poster mentioned but it's a different path. Good 1st stop then head to Telegraph and work your way down. Take a right at Durant
Another Bear
For cool, almost posh, modern Mexican eats, Comal is hard to beat...especially the back patio. Drinks however add up quickly.
txwharfrat
6forHeisman.com said:

Another Bear said:

Like dude, y'all all y'all'ed out or just y'all?
Most important word in Texan
Look, it might be the "most important" word in Texan, but it is not the BEST word in Texan. That word is...

y'all'd've

As in ... "you all would have"...

And use ... Y'all'd've scored a touchdown if we didn't run out so much clock on those last three plays"

Y'all'd've ... learn it .. love it ... use it...
YamhillBear
I also like "all y'all"
calumnus
Cal8285 said:

calumnus said:

Jtm0097 said:

Well, this wasn't the "official" American way when that cover came out. It was the first cover, Captain America #1, dated March 1941 but on sale December 20, 1941, almost a year before Pearl Harbor when the U.S. was officially "neutral."

There was hate mail, there were death threats, the offices of Timely Comics got police protection. Doesn't mean the majority of readers were opposed, but still. It took a Japanese attack on the U.S. and Hitler declaring war on the U.S. to make virtually all Americans agree that Captain American should be kicking Nazi butt.

The combat commander of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade was Robert Merriman (Cal PhD student) who lead 3,000+ American volunteers in the Spanish Civil War against Franco, Hitler and Mussolini in 1937. Hemingway based the main character of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (published in 1940) on him. Most of the survivors of the Lincoln Brigade continued fighting Hitler and Mussolini straight through D-Day, many retiring as highly decorated war veterans only to be later blacklisted as "pre-mature anti-fascists" in the McCarthy hearings.

More examples of American Antifa:
?w=820

?w=800

6forHeisman.com
So it kinda got lost in the random political agenda but still needing some help

top 5 bar list for Friday night I've been told (Tupper & Reed,

top 5 bar/area for football pregame I've been told (Telegraph Hill area?, Kips, Buzzworks, Henry's, Jupiter, Faculty Club, International House, Ralegigh's, Papy's

top 5 food spots I've been told (Top Dog, Ramen SoMA, Buzzworks, Pacific Standard Tap Room, Rocco's Caf, Comal,

Also weed shops Cannabis Buyers Club,

Context going with my college buddies all in our mid 20s
cal83dls79
Been to Cosecha?
JSC 76
6forHeisman.com said:

top 5 bar/area for football pregame I've been told (Telegraph Hill area?, Kips, Buzzworks, Henry's, Jupiter, Faculty Club, International House, Ralegigh's, Papy's

top 5 food spots I've been told (Top Dog, Ramen SoMA, Buzzworks, Pacific Standard Tap Room, Rocco's Caf, Comal,

Telegraph Hill is in San Francisco. Telegraph Ave. is in Berkeley.
6forHeisman.com
meant to put telegraph ave, and haven't been to anywhere in the bay
B.A. Bearacus
I will say that I do like their logo.

TandemBear
rkt88edmo said:

Such a shame there isn't mandated national legislation requiring secure, locked firearm storage in ALL vehicles (as well as everywhere). Thanks to the efforts on the right, sensible firearm regulations such as this (as well as MANY others) are thwarted and defeated. Americans die as a result. THAT's the takeaway from your rant.
calumnus
6forHeisman.com said:

Friday night I would not go to Berkeley to drink, since you are staying in San Francisco I'd drink there. Too many places to list, but I've always liked the Waterbar for the viewsbut plenty of bars near you in Soma, the Mission, the hotels...

Just google lists of "best bar San Francisco" and choose something based on taste and location

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeout.com/san-francisco/bars/best-bars-in-san-francisco/amp
rathokan
if you are a beer guy, check out Cellarmaker near your hotel. If you're here this afternoon, pick up some cans (or growlers) to go, and head to Crissy Field near the Golden Gate Bridge. The Rolex Big Boat racing series is going on right now. Sit on the concrete benches along the beach and watch the big boats race and people watch. It's a great day for it with the Golden Gate Bridge as the backdrop.

The wind has just switched from offshore to onshore, so they should start racing soon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.