King in the North

3,501 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://pac-12.com/football/standings

We are guaranteed to be "undefeated in Pac-12 play" for the next few weeks.
StrawberryCanyon
Undefeated in the Pac-10, Undefeated in the Pac-10...
NYCGOBEARS
Jinx thread.
burritos
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034

OneTopOneChickenApple
calumnus said:

https://pac-12.com/football/standings

We are guaranteed to be "undefeated in Pac-12 play" for the next few weeks.
Actually Hawaii is undefeated in the Pac-12. Although unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if they beat UW next.
Cal88
If we beat ASU it will set up a monumental trip to Eugene, where a win would put us in the driver's seat for the division championship with a game lead and the head to head advantage versus the main contenders...
panoramicknob
Cal88 said:

If we beat ASU it will set up a monumental trip to Eugene, where a win would put us in the driver's seat for the division championship with a game lead and the head to head advantage versus the main contenders...
This is Cal football we are talking about. You know that right...
GBear4Life
1st place against mostly 0-0 teams? Definitely something to write home about.
calumnus
NYCGOBEARS said:

Jinx thread.

Winter is coming?
OskiDeLaHoya

And yes. I know what eventually happened to the Freys.
Cal88
I've never watched Game of Thrones, are there any duck people and cardinals in it too?

GB4L- well at least we're sitting on top of the Mutts and Furd, who aren't 0-0, and who are some of the biggest roadblocks to Levi's Stadium.
OskiDeLaHoya
I'll avoid spoilers in case you ever watch. No duck people. But the wolf scene in my meme is accompanied by chants of "King in the North! King in the North!"
bear2034
panoramicknob said:

Cal88 said:

This is Cal football we are talking about. You know that right...
So how did Cal beat UW?
KoreAmBear
Cal88 said:

You of all people shouldn't get too excited about the game after we are 5-0. I think we we've lost at least our last ten at 5-0. Someone look up the last time we were 6-0.
oski003
Fans are overlooking North Texas. We are screwed.
bearsandgiants
KoreAmBear said:

Cal88 said:

You of all people shouldn't get too excited about the game after we are 5-0. I think we we've lost at least our last ten at 5-0. Someone look up the last time we were 6-0.
yes. it's the kiss of death. a high ranking, followed by disappointment. EVERY. DAMN. TIME. heck, even cracking the rankings usually is the kiss of death for us. i just want to win this weekend, and enjoying being decent again.
510 Bear
bearsandgiants said:

KoreAmBear said:

Cal88 said:

yes. it's the kiss of death. a high ranking, followed by disappointment. EVERY. DAMN. TIME. heck, even cracking the rankings usually is the kiss of death for us. i just want to win this weekend, and enjoying being decent again.
If we get to 4-0 or 5-0, I hope JW brings this up in the locker room. Not necessarily "The last 10 times we were 5-0 we lost our next game by an average of 17.4 points. Don't do that, please." More like referring to it indirectly. "The past is past. This is the new 2019 Cal team and I believe in you guys. Let's go out there and #EarnIt."
Cal89
When you have a D that can stymie Pac-12 offenses, the most potent of them, very good things can happen. The Cougs led the conference in scoring in 2018 (top 15 in FBS), yet only managed 19 points against us, in Pullman. We almost beat them back-to-back before doing so with UW last week.

The Cougs have averaged 11 PPG against the Bears D in the JW era.

In our last two games with the Huskies, they averaged about 14 on the Bears.

The Washington schools have been the best tandem in the conference for quite a while now and Cal can clearly compete with them.

In 2019, opposing teams haven't cracked the 20 barrier yet. Being that one is a prominent Pac-12 foe, on their home field, that's noteworthy. Ya, the other is FCS, but one that is likely to have a prolific offense. I can see us keeping teams in the teens until we travel to Eugene (Ole Miss and ASU average thus far just 20-25 PPG). This North Texas team might have the most potent offense until we see the green of the Ducks...

In 2019 so far, no other "North" team passes for more yards or scores more points than the Mean Green. Goofy stat, I know, just sort of jumped-out... And, they have averaged over 200 yards on the ground too.

I really like that our secondary, a recognized strength of our team, will be put to the test again. Week 1 against supposedly one of the best QBs and passing attacks in FCS. Week 2 against one of the most talked about QBs in FBS, a former 5-star recruit. Now in week 3, senior QB Mason Fine. The school has a Heisman campaign for the guy. A few weeks ago, ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27422599/why-mason-fine-best-qb-know

No one can say that our secondary had it easy to start the season...
smh
StrawberryCanyon said:

Undefeated in the Pac-10, Undefeated in the Pac-10...
^^^ bears mentioning, fbo younger cybers, once upon a time this was a featured line from chris and steve's infamous weekly BearTerritory tv program.
# where are they now
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
HighlandDutch
KoreAmBear said:

Someone look up the last time we were 6-0.
It was 1950. Not that long ago, really, when you consider humans have existed for about 200,000 years, and the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old.
chazzed
I'm all for optimism, but pump them brakes.
wifeisafurd
So how many people had Udub and Furd at the Division bottom at this point?
HighlandDutch
And now we're into late September, and we're tied for the lead in the North, and the last remaining undefeated team in the conference.

Who's in last place in the North?
Sebastabear
calumnus
Sebastabear said:

Perfect
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.