U$C Band

8,930 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SanseiBear
peterprescott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CAL should adopt the same approach as the University of Arizona.....they place the USC band in the last two rows in several sections of the south end zone area. By spreading out the band, U of A sends a message to USC about their visitor seating at USC and dilutes the impact of the large band...love it.
southseasbear
philly1121 said:

Ok great. Let's ban them. But don't be surprised if we have our Band...banned..as well.
Of course. Let them ban us. The band has to sit so far from the field in the Coliseum that they have such little impact. The Bay Area "weekender" is a big deal at SC; it is difficult for kids to get tickets because they view it as an annual party. Their fans will not be happy without the band providing a soundtrack to their event.

Meanwhile our band can attend another game in 2021, such as Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, etc.
TheFiatLux
HighlandDutch said:

OdontoBear66 said:

SanseiBear said:

Sebastabear said:

Golden One said:

UrsaMajor said:

Jim Knowlton said he has spoken with the USC AD about their "egregious" behavior, and the AD promised to look more closely at it. Unfortunately, the AD has been on the job all of a week and is dealing with an FBI investigation, so...

I pointed out to Jim that when the Stanfurd band became to over the top, they were banned from traveling for a year. Maybe the same for USC? (or at least banned from CMS)
I'll be very pleasantly surprised in Knowlton has the balls to ban the SC band from CMS in 2021.
This is going to be a good test. Actions speak louder than words. Time to take action.

I vaguely remember quite a few years ago when our Cal Band was placed in an unsatisfactory location in the Coliseum and our then AD Sandy Barbour stated that we would retaliate with their band at CMS, but of course nothing happened. Am I remembering correctly, or is my age (80) showing?
How do you retaliate in CMS? There is not seating like the bad seating at the Coliseum. Visitors are seated about as poorly as we can seat them right now. There band might be limited in numbers. It should in no way be able to counter what should be "home field advantage" to our team and band.
IIRC, that happened right around 2011, when we were playing at SBC/AT&T/PacBell. And I think the controversy was about the visitors' section at the LA Coliseum, not just the placement of the band. Anyway, when it came time for the game against SC that year, the SC fans had scooped all the best tickets in the temporary bleachers in the outfield, right on the sideline. We sure showed them!
Two points:

This is like lighting the TheFiatLux signal... That year and that game was such a debacle from a marketing standpoint... As most of you know, I actually like Sandy very much and think overall she did a very good job as AD (but that is NOT the point of this post) but boy did she miss it on this. Many of you may remember David Demster who used to post on here a lot. A great guy, and like me, has an odd fascination with attendance... so going into the 2012 season he and i did an analysis of ticket sales for ATT. I met with Sandy to go over it, I think in July... Sales were good through most of the Stadium, but in those bleacher seats, with an inventory of about 4.500 seats (give or take), we had sold only 100 or so seats... I talked with her about how it was going to be an optical distaster as visiting fans would scoop up these great seats AND they would appear on TV since the cameras were opposite side. That SC game was a NADIR from a game experience standpoint because of what you reference. Why we didn't put the students in those seats is still just a mystery to me. I actually asked her if they were testing out whether or not fans would pay premium for seats like that as a way to test moving the students in Memorial... I loved her reply "you gives us way too much credit..." :-)

I believe what prompted the response to the SC band was the 2006 game in the Coliseum. Up until 2004 visiting fans were still getting a couple of sections by the tunnel in the enclosed endzone. In 2006 they moved all fans and bands (for evewry school) to those gawd awful seats we have now. I've said this before, it's just so ingracious of them. We're not opposing fans, we're visiting fans. And we're not asking for great seats, we're asking for endzone seats that are legit inventory and have been offered for 8 decades. yeah they had a great run in the 2000s so could sell lots of seast, but tehy could still do that and treat visiting fans with class. But that is simply not in their DNA.
HighlandDutch
TheFiatLux said:

HighlandDutch said:

OdontoBear66 said:

SanseiBear said:

Sebastabear said:

Golden One said:

UrsaMajor said:

Jim Knowlton said he has spoken with the USC AD about their "egregious" behavior, and the AD promised to look more closely at it. Unfortunately, the AD has been on the job all of a week and is dealing with an FBI investigation, so...

I pointed out to Jim that when the Stanfurd band became to over the top, they were banned from traveling for a year. Maybe the same for USC? (or at least banned from CMS)
I'll be very pleasantly surprised in Knowlton has the balls to ban the SC band from CMS in 2021.
This is going to be a good test. Actions speak louder than words. Time to take action.

I vaguely remember quite a few years ago when our Cal Band was placed in an unsatisfactory location in the Coliseum and our then AD Sandy Barbour stated that we would retaliate with their band at CMS, but of course nothing happened. Am I remembering correctly, or is my age (80) showing?
How do you retaliate in CMS? There is not seating like the bad seating at the Coliseum. Visitors are seated about as poorly as we can seat them right now. There band might be limited in numbers. It should in no way be able to counter what should be "home field advantage" to our team and band.
IIRC, that happened right around 2011, when we were playing at SBC/AT&T/PacBell. And I think the controversy was about the visitors' section at the LA Coliseum, not just the placement of the band. Anyway, when it came time for the game against SC that year, the SC fans had scooped all the best tickets in the temporary bleachers in the outfield, right on the sideline. We sure showed them!
Two points:

This is like lighting the TheFiatLux signal... That year and that game was such a debacle from a marketing standpoint... As most of you know, I actually like Sandy very much and think overall she did a very good job as AD (but that is NOT the point of this post) but boy did she miss it on this. Many of you may remember David Demster who used to post on here a lot. A great guy, and like me, has an odd fascination with attendance... so going into the 2012 season he and i did an analysis of ticket sales for ATT. I met with Sandy to go over it, I think in July... Sales were good through most of the Stadium, but in those bleacher seats, with an inventory of about 4.500 seats (give or take), we had sold only 100 or so seats... I talked with her about how it was going to be an optical distaster as visiting fans would scoop up these great seats AND they would appear on TV since the cameras were opposite side. That SC game was a NADIR from a game experience standpoint because of what you reference. Why we didn't put the students in those seats is still just a mystery to me. I actually asked her if they were testing out whether or not fans would pay premium for seats like that as a way to test moving the students in Memorial... I loved her reply "you gives us way too much credit..." :-)

I believe what prompted the response to the SC band was the 2006 game in the Coliseum. Up until 2004 visiting fans were still getting a couple of sections by the tunnel in the enclosed endzone. In 2006 they moved all fans and bands (for evewry school) to those gawd awful seats we have now. I've said this before, it's just so ingracious of them. We're not opposing fans, we're visiting fans. And we're not asking for great seats, we're asking for endzone seats that are legit inventory and have been offered for 8 decades. yeah they had a great run in the 2000s so could sell lots of seast, but tehy could still do that and treat visiting fans with class. But that is simply not in their DNA.
Agree about putting students in those seats at AT&T in 2011. I think doing that would have required us to put Cal on that sideline, as I believe conference rules prohibit putting the student section behind the visiting team's bench. That would have been less convenient from a locker room-access standpoint, but doesn't seem like a deal-breaker to me.

Of all the administrative/gameday management epic fails we have witnessed as Cal fans, the two that stand out to me most are that 2011 USC game and the attempt at a "stripe-out" in our home game against Ohio St., the latter being unintentional comedy of the highest order. Bronze medal winner would be the awful ingress/egress situation for the Tennessee game because of the tree-sitters. I'm sure others would recall other nominees.

Edit: check out those blue and gold stripes!

SanseiBear
Did our AD ever address this issue publicly? Are we going to advise the new USC band director what's acceptable at CMS? Just asking!

GO BEARS!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.