The Next Cal Offensive Coordinator

19,558 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
going4roses
How long do you want to ignore this user?
True ... my thought was now it's both sides of the ball he has to make decisions while he should be concerned with recruiting/bowl practice
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Cave Bear
SFCityBear said:

Cave Bear said:

Assuming Baldwin moves on, who's on your short wish list and why?

Mine:

1. Mike McDaniel, 49ers Run Game Coordinator
I love the Niners offense and it's a perfect fit for what our team should be doing. McDaniel is a young guy (36) and has been with Shanahan the last 5 seasons. He's already in the Bay Area so a job that doesn't force him to relocate may be attractive. McDaniel is from a Pac-12 state (Colorado) and has spent a total of 5 years coaching in CA. He went to a tough college (Yale) so he should be able to relate with academic high achievers. I don't know much about his personality; his entire coaching career has been in the pros. Solid NFL experience is a big plus in my book but recruiting would be something of a question mark (as would his desire to switch to college).

Getting McDaniel would be a huge coup as he's quite an up-and-comer. Other NFL teams may pull the trigger on him for OC and if so I can't imagine he would have any interest in us, but if no NFL OC gig materializes for him maybe he would like to get a head start on building/running an entire offense without any training wheels. Don't know what he makes right now, but I imagine if he was even interested we'd have to pony up. This is my ideal pick, but it's probably not realistic given how his coaching profile is so high now.

2. Kellen Moore, Cowboys Offensive Coordinator
Obviously Moore's current job is well above our pay grade, but that entire staff might be replaced this offseason and Moore might not land another NFL OC gig just yet (he's 31). Moore came of age in the Pac-12 neighborhood, born in WA and played at Boise.

3. Justin Peelle, Eagles Tight Ends Coach
Peelle has a short coaching resume, with his current job being his only coaching gig to date, but he had a long NFL playing career and has been with the Eagles as TE coach since 2013. Peelle was a stud TE at Oregon and had an outstanding academic record as a student (4x 1st Academic Team All-Pac-10 selection). Peelle played with Wilcox at Oregon so I imagine they would have good chemistry.

4. Bush Hamdan, Washington Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach
I love Chris Petersen's offenses and Hamdan has both coached and played for Petersen. Going from OC at UW to OC at Cal might look like a lateral move but like Zak Hill this would allow Hamdan to show his ability in building/running an offense without a great offensive HC looking over his shoulder. Pac-12 coaching experience at a successful program is a plus in my book.

5. Zak Hill, Boise State Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach
Boise's offense would be great for us and this would be a nice promotion for Hill, not only going to a P5 school but also getting out of Harsin's shadow. Hill was at EWU with Baldwin so he must be familiar with a lot of the concepts in our current offense, which figures to help ease the transition. Hill has 10 years experience as OC at EWU, Hawaii and BSU.

6. Jeff Horton, SDSU Offensive Coordinator/RB Coach/Assistant Head Coach
Few college OCs can lay claim to being better qualified to build a power offense. Horton has NFL experience as well as 9 years experience coaching in CA. Horton wouldn't look like a big splash hire, but he's the definition of a solid coach and we'd be hard pressed to do better if Wilcox was willing to run a more conventional power offense.

7. Ken Whisenhunt, Ex-Chargers Offensive Coordinator
Whisenhunt was fired as Chargers OC during this season. That wouldn't recommend him to many, but being fired from an NFL job is not damning in my book. The big leagues are tough, and Whisenhunt has proven his chops over 16 years serving as either HC or OC of an NFL team. Of course it's completely uncertain whether Whisenhunt would be at all interested in our job, but it couldn't hurt to see if he has any interest particularly if no NFL team expresses interest in him for OC.

edited to include Justin Peelle who I forgot in the original list
edited to replace Vigen with Whisenhunt
Aw, why this, and why now? With all due respect, doesn't this just pander to all those Cal fans who wanted Baldwin fired mid-season? Just when the rest of us Cal fans were beginning to enjoy this season with some of the O-line having returned, Garbers returning, the development of a promising wideout in Polk, the improvement in Remigio, the return of Brown and the running game to form, the nice win over WSU, the great win over Stanford in the Big Game, and a solid victory over arch-rival UCLA, and preparation for a trip to another bowl game, now we have to hear about all the coaches we want to replace Baldwin. If those calling for Baldwin's head had gotten their wish, and Cal fired him mid-season, do any of them honestly think Cal could have hired a new coordinator, put in a new offensive system, and had enough time to practice all the plays in time to have all the success Cal had at the end of the season? Fat chance. Cal would have likely been 5-7 or worse, and staying home for the holidays and not gone bowling. Again with all due respect, it just makes no sense. Why not have this conversation after the season is over? I want to enjoy this bowl game, without having to pick over every play to find how I think Baldwin could have done better, or how some other coach could have done better. And I think there might be some fans who feel the same way.
I expected that some would object to this topic since this admirable season has not yet concluded, but if Wilcox expects a change at OC after this season I don't think he can afford to wait until January to consider a list of candidates, even if he means to retain Baldwin. As we see, there are going to be other teams who need to fill that position. If Wilcox means to have a change this off-season regardless of Baldwin's willingness to stay, I think he absolutely has to be working on a plan and begin putting out feelers pretty soon.
Bear19
Cave Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

My list starts and stops with Troy Taylor. Just have to hope the lure of coming home to the alma mater would matter enough to give up being a HC
I'd love to see Troy return here. I didn't include him because I figured he's invested in being a HC now but if he was willing to OC again then yeah sign me up
Wishful, unrealistic to think that Taylor would leave Sac State to be an OC anywhere, including Cal. He's been there, done that. It would be a backward move.

It's also hard for me to picture any current D1 OC making a lateral move to Cal unless they were in trouble at their current school or very unhappy for some other reason.

Realistically we'd be drawing from a pool of D1 position coaches, lower-division OCs looking to move up, or, like Baldwin, a HC at a lower division school.
Pigskin Pete
Cave Bear said:

Mine:

I love the Niners offense and it's a perfect fit for what our team should be doing. McDaniel is a young guy (36) and has been with Shanahan the last 5 seasons. He's already in the Bay Area so a job that doesn't force him to relocate may be attractive. McDaniel is from a Pac-12 state (Colorado) and has spent a total of 5 years coaching in CA. He went to a tough college (Yale) so he should be able to relate with academic high achievers. I don't know much about his personality; his entire coaching career has been in the pros. Solid NFL experience is a big plus in my book but recruiting would be something of a question mark (as would his desire to switch to college).

Getting McDaniel would be a huge coup as he's quite an up-and-comer. Other NFL teams may pull the trigger on him for OC and if so I can't imagine he would have any interest in us, but if no NFL OC gig materializes for him maybe he would like to get a head start on building/running an entire offense without any training wheels. Don't know what he makes right now, but I imagine if he was even interested we'd have to pony up. This is my ideal pick, but it's probably not realistic given how his coaching profile is so high now.

Obviously Moore's current job is well above our pay grade, but that entire staff might be replaced this offseason and Moore might not land another NFL OC gig just yet (he's 31). Moore came of age in the Pac-12 neighborhood, born in WA and played at Boise.

Peelle has a short coaching resume, with his current job being his only coaching gig to date, but he had a long NFL playing career and has been with the Eagles as TE coach since 2013. Peelle was a stud TE at Oregon and had an outstanding academic record as a student (4x 1st Academic Team All-Pac-10 selection). Peelle played with Wilcox at Oregon so I imagine they would have good chemistry.

I love Chris Petersen's offenses and Hamdan has both coached and played for Petersen. Going from OC at UW to OC at Cal might look like a lateral move but like Zak Hill this would allow Hamdan to show his ability in building/running an offense without a great offensive HC looking over his shoulder. Pac-12 coaching experience at a successful program is a plus in my book.

Boise's offense would be great for us and this would be a nice promotion for Hill, not only going to a P5 school but also getting out of Harsin's shadow. Hill was at EWU with Baldwin so he must be familiar with a lot of the concepts in our current offense, which figures to help ease the transition. Hill has 10 years experience as OC at EWU, Hawaii and BSU.

Few college OCs can lay claim to being better qualified to build a power offense. Horton has NFL experience as well as 9 years experience coaching in CA. Horton wouldn't look like a big splash hire, but he's the definition of a solid coach and we'd be hard pressed to do better if Wilcox was willing to run a more conventional power offense.

Whisenhunt was fired as Chargers OC during this season. That wouldn't recommend him to many, but being fired from an NFL job is not damning in my book. The big leagues are tough, and Whisenhunt has proven his chops over 16 years serving as either HC or OC of an NFL team. Of course it's completely uncertain whether Whisenhunt would be at all interested in our job, but it couldn't hurt to see if he has any interest particularly if no NFL team expresses interest in him for OC.

Too many pro coaches on this list. Pro offenses belong in the pros, not in college. Pro coaches have complicated offenses, which serve to confuse college players more than they outsmart the other team.
Cave Bear
Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

Too many pro coaches on this list. Pro offenses belong in the pros, not in college. Pro coaches have complicated offenses, which serve to confuse college players more than they outsmart the other team.
A pro-style offense worked just fine for us for years. Great coaches can teach a complex offense, and moreover tailor the degree of complexity to the players. Plus our players are smarter than the average bear, so we might as well take advantage of it.
Pigskin Pete
Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

A pro-style offense worked just fine for us for years. Great coaches can teach a complex offense, and moreover tailor the degree of complexity to the players. Plus our players are smarter than the average bear, so we might as well take advantage of it.
A pro style offense led to a bunch of confused QB's who never developed. Apparently, you've forgotten all that.

Also, check out Fresno State's record sometime.
GBear4Life
Pigskin Pete said:

Their record today or 12 months ago?
Cave Bear
Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

A pro style offense led to a bunch of confused QB's who never developed. Apparently, you've forgotten all that.

You've misapprehended, which is not surprising because obstinate people tend to see what they want to see. Before things went downhill, a pro-style offense brought us to the pinnacle of modern Cal football success. Apparently you've forgotten all about that.

And I bet your mouth was shut about Tedford last year.
Cave Bear
Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

As an aside, is there some particular reason you choose to engage people in such a petty derisive manner? We could have just stated our opinions without ridicule but you just can't restrain yourself.
Pigskin Pete
Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

You've misapprehended, which is not surprising because obstinate people tend to see what they want to see. Before things went downhill, a pro-style offense brought us to the pinnacle of modern Cal football success. Apparently you've forgotten all about that.

I sad he'd tank that program ultimately and he's well on his way.
Cave Bear
Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

They were 10-28 the three years before he got there. They're 26-14 in three years with him (9 of those losses by one possession). Bringing Fresno State into this conversation does absolutely nothing to strengthen your point.
GBear4Life
Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Tedford doesn't just coach, he catches, throws, blocks and tackles. He was a good coach/player last year, but will predictably become a worse coach/player every year that will perfectly align with their W-L record.
mcdbear
Totally out of left field but how about Martinez native and coaching lifer Norv Turner. He could bring his son, Scott, to be QB coach. Always thought he was a lousy HC but a very good OC. He is currently Carolina OC but I got a feeling there will be a housecleaning in Carolina and maybe Rivera could replace DeRuyter should he leave. I know the scenario has no chance but we gotta talk about something.
CalBarn
PaulCali said:

Assuming Baldwin wants to stay, I think he will be retained.
Augh!!! Say it ain't so!
calumnus
CALiforniALUM said:

MilleniaBear said:

Interesting list. I tend to target guys who have succeeded at places that don't traditionally succeed. Guys who have a history of making do. Frustrates me when I hear the refrain "we don't have the talent". BB has worked with 1 five star QB, one 4 star, n 3 3 star and can't get better than last place offensively. Design an offense for what you have

Except an offense runs on more than just a QB or the total number of stars they have.

While there is a natural interest to try and pin cause on a single element, the reality is that any particular part of a situation is rarely cause for the results. In trying to make a case for why the offense has been anemic (play calling), or point out reasons why it shouldn't be (5* players), what gets lost are the facts around injuries, quality of players irrespective of their ratings, the difference in a [insert star rating] player as a freshman vs as a senior, time required for some players to learn or grow into their position, the fact that most plays are a series of actions between players who each must execute their respective role in said play in order for it to be successful. Of course, there is the part where if everything else goes right the right play needs to be called to create mismatches with the opposing team. It seems all too often the rationals for why a coach should be fired or not are focused on a single cause or result, without context or respect for the process of building a team. Hitting the reset button too early is arguably as disruptive to team performance than potentially sticking with a situation. Cal football had experienced an unprecedented period of historically bad performance before Wilcox and company showed up. Is there a reality where it may take more than three years to build up the team to be something more respectable? Or is simply a change in coaching always the salvo to every team's problems? I would surmise that Cal's football problems are more than just a coaching change away from being fixed. I've seen progress with this team and coaching staff. I think they deserve at least one more year. We are a very young team. Soon we will have a more balanced distribution of upper and lower classmen on the team. I've heard many times that a player who is older, bigger, stronger, more experienced is usually better than a kid one year removed from playing high school ball.

"unprecedented period of historically bad performance before Wilcox and company showed up."
On the defensive side yes, and they turned that around in year 1 and were elite in year 2.

On the offensive side we were #6 in the country in 2015 in yards per play and in 2016 were less productive but lead the conference in total offense. All of Dykes top recruits were on the offensive side. Yet the coaches completely turned around the defense immediately. We have had one of the worst offenses in the country three years in a row, even before any injuries. We were having trouble against UC Davis until we just used our superior size and ran over them.
Rushinbear
Bear19 said:

Cave Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

My list starts and stops with Troy Taylor. Just have to hope the lure of coming home to the alma mater would matter enough to give up being a HC
I'd love to see Troy return here. I didn't include him because I figured he's invested in being a HC now but if he was willing to OC again then yeah sign me up
Wishful, unrealistic to think that Taylor would leave Sac State to be an OC anywhere, including Cal. He's been there, done that. It would be a backward move.

It's also hard for me to picture any current D1 OC making a lateral move to Cal unless they were in trouble at their current school or very unhappy for some other reason.

Realistically we'd be drawing from a pool of D1 position coaches, lower-division OCs looking to move up, or, like Baldwin, a HC at a lower division school.

I think our offensive performance in the upcoming bowl game as well as the 2020 recruiting class will go a long way to either cement Baldwin's return or hasten his departure.
This is the most likely time for a change. Not that it can't happen after the bowl, but with all the activity in the marketplace now, it looks like BB is staying. They would have announced it by now. It's not like they haven't thought it through.
82gradDLSdad
Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Cave Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think our offensive performance in the upcoming bowl game as well as the 2020 recruiting class will go a long way to either cement Baldwin's return or hasten his departure.
This is the most likely time for a change. Not that it can't happen after the bowl, but with all the activity in the marketplace now, it looks like BB is staying. They would have announced it by now. It's not like they haven't thought it through.

I think you may be right. Sort of like when we fair catch a low, short kickoff...very conservative mindset. PJ has "Row the boat", JW has "Don't rock the boat".
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

I'm on the fence regarding Baldwin. Can go either way. I think we can all agree that Garbers has developed since last season and we would have at least one more win if he were healthy. If we were 8-4 or 9-3 in regular season, I don't think the calls for Baldwin leaving would be nearly as loud.
Well, I think of one poster who doesn't think Garbers has improved this season....

Of course, he has had the knives out for BB for over a year now.....

IMO Baldwin did a good job elevating Garbers and did not do a good job preparing depth at QB, in an offense where the QB is asked to run a lot.

I think the overall body of Baldwin's work means a change is in order. We can't keep finishing in the 100's in offense. I would like someone with some West coast recruiting chops as well. I would stay away from pro guys unless they have a college background. So let me add to the list (and some other good names have been mentioned):
Marcus Arroyo (buy him)
Bobby Kennedy (assuming he can make the jump as he is a gifted east coast recruiter at an academic school
Longo runs a balanced offfense that Wilcox likes
Darrin Chiaverini (young guy with promise and another good recruiter)
DeBoer (west coast ties and did wonders at Indiana)
Maybe Likens (a lot of the issues at ASU this year were not his making, runs the offense that Wilcox likes, and knows Cal - can recruit)

Cal84
BB is in all likelihood our next OC. Nobody wants to reboot Garbers' development trajectory. That's not to say that Garbers 3.0 will automatically be better than Garbers 2.0, but anyone with a brain stem saw that 2.0 >> 1.0. Given that he has two more years to play in the system, I think they are gonna ride that.
wifeisafurd
Cal84 said:

BB is in all likelihood our next OC. Nobody wants to reboot Garbers' development trajectory. That's not to say that Garbers 3.0 will automatically be better than Garbers 2.0, but anyone with a brain stem saw that 2.0 >> 1.0. Given that he has two more years to play in the system, I think they are gonna ride that.
Think where Garbers is if Spavital or Harrell were the coordinators, rather than Baldwin?. Baldwin is a decent QB coach for the offense he runs. Just better have a QB who can take a lot of hits or have someone else who can coach the back-ups. He is not one of the top OC's for QBs. Not even close. Not even remotely close. Above the top 100 like the rest of his offense.
going4roses
Fortunately or unfortunately this maybe the case. We are most likely not going to get a microwave recruiting/ quick installation - producing OC
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
wifeisafurd
going4roses said:

Fortunately or unfortunately this maybe the case. We are most likely not going to get a microwave recruiting/ quick installation - producing OC
I would hate to see everything Wilcox is doing turn to cr@p next year because he refuses to address the offense in much the same hands-off way Sonny handled the defense. But there are expectations next year, and Cal is one injury away - Garbers on a RPO- from being worse than mediocre, with Baldwin as OC. Add it many not be just Baldwin's head that the fan base wants.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

going4roses said:

I would hate to see everything Wilcox is doing turn to cr@p next year because he refuses to address the offense in much the same hands-off way Sonny handled the defense. But there are expectations next year, and Cal is one injury away - Garbers on a RPO- from being worse than mediocre, with Baldwin as OC. Add it many not be just Baldwin's head that the fan base wants.
I do not believe that Cal uses RPO. I have seen a lot of play action but do not recall see any RPO.

The offense will be fine whether Baldwin stays or chooses to move on. Garbers has demonstrated that he is a capable P5 level QB, the OL is coming together, Brown and Collins made progress this year and Remigio, Polk, Reinaldo appears to be guys who can be counted on to make plays. As I have said elsewhere, given the nature of the game, Cal needs to find a #2 QB who can play effectively.
Cal84
wifeisafurd said:

Cal84 said:

Think where Garbers is if Spavital or Harrell were the coordinators, rather than Baldwin?. Baldwin is a decent QB coach for the offense he runs. Just better have a QB who can take a lot of hits or have someone else who can coach the back-ups. He is not one of the top OC's for QBs. Not even close. Not even remotely close. Above the top 100 like the rest of his offense.
Think where Cal is if it took money away from non-revenue sports and could spend the same amount of money other P12 schools do on football. These dreams that Cal can get an NFL OC or even another P5 OC to come here are ... dreams. And the strident claims that donors can be found to pay up weren't true when we hired Dykes, weren't true when we hired Wilcox and won't be true when we enter the post-Wilcox era whenever that may be. So stop with the Harrell dreams, because even if it were true, it will never happen. You are better off dreaming about how a $1 million donation to Cal Athletics will be diverted to increase our competitiveness in water polo and swimming. Because that could happen.
calumnus
71Bear said:

OneTopOneChickenApple said:

I'm on the fence regarding Baldwin. Can go either way. I think we can all agree that Garbers has developed since last season and we would have at least one more win if he were healthy. If we were 8-4 or 9-3 in regular season, I don't think the calls for Baldwin leaving would be nearly as loud.
Well, I think of one poster who doesn't think Garbers has improved this season....

Of course, he has had the knives out for BB for over a year now.....

I was one of the few that said Garbers was good college QB last year. I spent a lot of time defending him against a lot of criticism here. Look at his first few game stats last year. I said his completion percentage was good, his running ability ver good, his arm strength adequate and his yards per catch would improve with more speed at WR. That is exactly what happened. I think Garbers has improved, of course, but not as much as the people who had written him off and were still calling him names at the beginning of the season do. The "dramatic turnaround" narrative is from the people who blamed our poor offense on our "lack of talent at QB." I think the improvement of our young WRs (especially Remigio) has been more far more dramatic.
Pigskin Pete
Rushinbear said:

Bear19 said:

Cave Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

If it was going to happen, it probably happens in January after early signing day and the bowl. No point in going into a bowl game with no offensive coordinator.

Then again, who'd be able to tell the difference?
calumnus
Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

Cave Bear said:

Mine:

Pro style under Cortez was great. It was when Tedford added spread and became "multiple" that things became unwieldy. For most of his tenure (2006-2012) we were more spread than pro-style.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

going4roses said:

I do not believe that Cal uses RPO. I have seen a lot of play action but do not recall see any RPO.

The offense will be fine whether Baldwin stays or chooses to move on. Garbers has demonstrated that he is a capable P5 level QB, the OL is coming together, Brown and Collins made progress this year and Remigio, Polk, Reinaldo appears to be guys who can be counted on to make plays. As I have said elsewhere, given the nature of the game, Cal needs to find a #2 QB who can play effectively.
'71, you are just plain wrong.

His first interview he talked about using RPO:
I mean, my whole tree goes back to one-back, if you really want to go all the way back, it goes to Mike Price, Dennis Erickson, the WSU," Baldwin said, "and my quarterback coach was a guy who came from that tree and he's now been in the NFL at different times, so it all started with that one-back philosophy, and that singleback. And a lot of what we do is very similar to what I was doing 20 years ago and even playing in 20 plus years ago. Then, you evolve, and you take advantage of certain situations where 'hey, I can involve some more play action by involving tight ends. Shoot, I can take advantage of this RPO' and what that gives you. If you ever find yourself feeling like you're a finished product, I just think you're done. None of us are. I just believe that you can continue to grow in what you're doing offensively, it's gonna give you a great shot to put more of a bind on a defense."

Or this wonderful quote Cal PR had from Vernon Adams about Baldwin: I love his offense," said Adams. "I feel like his offense is definitely more pass, but at the same time, it kind of keeps the defense on its toes, because the read zone, the RPOs aspect of the game, you can either hand it off, you could run it, you could throw it, you could drop back and go through progressions -- his offense is just fun."

His first ball game he used RPO's:

Baldwiin's first game:Who wants to watch some Cal film? https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/9/6/16258832/california-golden-bears-unc-tar-heels-film-analysis-breakdown-beau-baldwin-vic-wharton-analysis?

And he repeatedly called RPO's his first season for a athletic Bowers. In fact Bowers ran over 60 times, and according to Baldwin about 2/3 were either RPO's or designed QB runs. .

And then came 2018. And what did Baldwin say essentially every Tuesday: The case for McIlwain is that his ability to run creates confusion on the defense when we run RPO's. And in fact, when McIiiwain wasn't turning the ball over he was running primarily RPO's. There is a site that lists every play. In one game, McIlwain ran over 20 RPO's. Then came Garbers. Less RPO's and more designed runs. I could keep going because there is a site that goes through every play, and Cal ran a ton of RPI and intentional QB runs when Garbers was playing, less so with Modster due to lack of depth and essentially none against Utah for obvious reasons. But let's just go just one game back against UCLA:

Drive 1: Play number 3: Garbers holds ball on RPO and pass is tipped. Kick.

Drive 2: Second play, Garbers gains 2 on RPO. Another 3 and out and kick.

Drive 3: Play one: Garbers pulls on the RPO and runs out stops and fires a bullet to Nikko but it comes off Nikko's fingers. Play 4: RPO, with Garbers faking, then quick pass to Nikko with tempo is dropped, ball was a bit low. ON sixth play Polk scores a TD.

Drive 4: 3rd through 5th plays are all RPO: Garbers runs for 9 and the 1st down. Garbers reads on the option and pulls, runs for 3. Garbers pats the ball and finds Dancy down the field for 28. 10 plays and touchdown.

Drive 5: Deep in own territory. Interception on deep route for INT.

Drive 6: Incomplete passes 3 and punt.

Drive 7: Plays 3 to 5 RPOs: Collins on the Read-Option gets 10 yards. Collins with another run for a gain of 3. Garbers takes off for a gain of 17. 10 plays TD.

Drive 8: First play is designed QB run for 3. 4th play: RPO where CBJ runs for 38 yards. 6 plays TD.

Drive 9: Cal is starting to control game and does straight running plays with one pass. Goes fourth and goal to goal and fails.

Drive 10: Cal is trying to run out clock: rushes plus one roll out RPO where Garbers runs. Drive interrupted by penalty and kick on fifth play.

For a team "I do not believe that Cal uses RPO" they sure use a lot of RPOs. I;'m not sure what games your watching, but you can go through summaries and read for yourself. With Garbers they also use a lot of deigned QB runs. Ih Baldwin's offense the QB takes a lot of hits.

510 Bear
So now who's it gonna be?
Pigskin Pete
Rushinbear said:

Good call
Pigskin Pete
PaulCali said:

Assuming Baldwin wants to stay, I think he will be retained.
8 stars on this.

That's 8 people that I am LMAO at.
Pigskin Pete
SFCityBear said:

Aw, why this, and why now? With all due respect, doesn't this just pander to all those Cal fans who wanted Baldwin fired mid-season? Just when the rest of us Cal fans were beginning to enjoy this season with some of the O-line having returned, Garbers returning, the development of a promising wideout in Polk, the improvement in Remigio, the return of Brown and the running game to form, the nice win over WSU, the great win over Stanford in the Big Game, and a solid victory over arch-rival UCLA, and preparation for a trip to another bowl game, now we have to hear about all the coaches we want to replace Baldwin. If those calling for Baldwin's head had gotten their wish, and Cal fired him mid-season, do any of them honestly think Cal could have hired a new coordinator, put in a new offensive system, and had enough time to practice all the plays in time to have all the success Cal had at the end of the season? Fat chance. Cal would have likely been 5-7 or worse, and staying home for the holidays and not gone bowling. Again with all due respect, it just makes no sense. Why not have this conversation after the season is over? I want to enjoy this bowl game, without having to pick over every play to find how I think Baldwin could have done better, or how some other coach could have done better. And I think there might be some fans who feel the same way.
Laughing at 8 more people here.
Fyght4Cal
Is Tui trying to tell us something?

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Cal Insider
Joe Brady come on down!! I assume we'll pay him 1.5m a year. ;(
calumnus
Fyght4Cal said:

Is Tui trying to tell us something?

Possibilities:
1. He hates Baldwin and doesn't realize his own job is in question.
2. He is going with Baldwin to Cal Poly as his OC
3. The new Cal OC has agreed to keep him.
4. He is the new OC
5. Something else.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.