Bears in Corvallis Game Thread

32,955 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Strykur
southseasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So many bad things happening in 2020. Why should Cal football be any different. The New Year cannot come quickly enough.
AunBear89
Yes you are. You contribute nothing to this board but whining negativity.

And you hate everything Cal. Why do you bother? Just go away. You will feel better and this board will be a better place for your absence.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
philly1121
Why keep calling timeouts. Its so stupid. Pointless!!
killa22
killa22 said:

So correction, that was more of a big on big, checked the replay. Looked like a db on the blitz, thought it was the edge guy lol.

More forgivable. That's how the ball bounces some times.
Golden One
With the same awful coaching staff, why would expect 2021 to be any better?
cal83dls79
Worst play calls in ever
BearSD
ncbears said:

BearSD said:

Close, but not close enough. Gave a winnable game away to a bad opponent.
just seems like Cal never plays OSU well. Or Cal just saves its lesser performances for OSU

It's the 2007 game again, in a slightly different way.
Troll On You Bears
So what does Wilcox say after the game about the state of the program? About the identity we are trying to establish? About how this is now probably a lost season and how we use it as a building block? Will any of it ring true or will it be coach-speak?
bearister
Golden One said:

No COVID depletion of team. Good answer?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearFumble
I guess we are out of the national title picture
killa22
Troll On You Bears said:

Man, this sucks. We flubbed so many important plays in this game. Didn't coach or play with a killer mentality.

That's why I lean spread. You're going for kill shots not ball control.

And that's the mentality you need to win as a non blue blood in a P5 conference.
TandemBear
Well, that sucks. Looked like we were gonna pull it off, thanks to repeated gifts by OSU.

Unrelated, but what the HECK is up with the mishmash of Cal coaches' masks? One wearing a dark blue - and blank - material mask, another coach in a LAME light blue paper mask? And Wilcox in a grey scarf? I don't think I saw a SINGLE "Cal" mask.

Why on EARTH are all the coaches NOT wearing MATCHING "Cal" script navy blue masks?

Bush league and terrible presentation for UC's flagship school.

How hard would THAT have been to set up for the season?

And looking at Oregon State? All coaches & staff in matching OSU masks, looking professional.

Pretty sad. Perhaps this is merely a reflection of how things are done at Cal Athletics.
Troll On You Bears
killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Man, this sucks. We flubbed so many important plays in this game. Didn't coach or play with a killer mentality.

And that's the mentality you need to win as a non blue blood in a P5 conference.
Yeah that makes sense. I thought Musgrave was gonna bring pro style with some college flair but I guess that's not the case. It certainly doesn't seem to be a plug-and-play scheme - it's hard to see how you can win game after game in a slugfest style with mediocre depth exacerbated by pandemic absences. That said without a couple bad penalties on Remigio returns we would have probably won going away - what say you to that?
Troll On You Bears
TandemBear said:

Well, that sucks. Looked like we were gonna pull it off, thanks to repeated gifts by OSU.

Unrelated, but what the HECK is up with the mishmash of Cal coaches' masks? One wearing a dark blue - and blank - material mask, another coach in a LAME light blue paper mask? And Wilcox in a grey scarf? I don't think I saw a SINGLE "Cal" mask.

Why on EARTH are all the coaches NOT wearing MATCHING "Cal" script navy blue masks?

Bush league and terrible presentation for UC's flagship school.

How hard would THAT have been to set up for the season?

And looking at Oregon State? All coaches & staff in matching OSU masks, looking professional.

Pretty sad. Perhaps this is merely a reflection of how things are done at Cal Athletics.

I hope this is satire.
touchdownbears43
Golden One
bearister said:

Golden One said:

No COVID depletion of team. Good answer?
That's pure B.S.
touchdownbears43
BearFumble said:

I guess we are out of the national title picture

LOL
bearsandgiants
I don't want excuses. I want wins. Unacceptable to lose to a clown college with no fans in attendance.
Golden One
touchdownbears43 said:

Wilcox fulfilling his previous coaching behaviors. Looks the part, talks the part, has some flashes, yet has bounced around due to never quite being able to be the total package.

Absolute terrible offense game planning. Musgrave is a disaster higher in every way, shape and form. Special-teams play equally as poor. Defense has regressed.

I know to a certain extent COVID has not made it a fair playing field but you can just tell from the cohesiveness of the team that there are some major flaws.
Yeah. This coaching staff is just not competitive in the Pac-12. When you can't even beat Oregon State, that says it all.
AunBear89
Why is everyone ignoring that we played without most of our Oline and our starting RB? The guys on OL we're getting first team reps all week. That does impact the game.

But I get it - it's WAY cooler to ***** about crappy coaches and stupid players. That makes you more of a man and a better football fan.

Bunch of whiney babies on this game thread. No wonder I avoid them.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
killa22
Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Yeah that makes sense. I thought Musgrave was gonna bring pro style with some college flair but I guess that's not the case. It certainly doesn't seem to be a plug-and-play scheme - it's hard to see how you can win game after game in a slugfest style with mediocre depth exacerbated by pandemic absences. That said without a couple bad penalties on Remigio returns we would have probably won going away - what say you to that?

That's true but the perfectionist in me would always aim for having a bad ass offense to match a plus defense.

This was better than game 1, especially considering the injuries, but it's still not maximizing our skill guys (an opinion, granted, but founded in some reality)
Golden One
Troll On You Bears said:

So what does Wilcox say after the game about the state of the program? About the identity we are trying to establish? About how this is now probably a lost season and how we use it as a building block? Will any of it ring true or will it be coach-speak?
It'll be the usual coach-speak. At this point, it doesn't appear Wilcox has a clue.

The only way we retain the AXE is if COVID forces a cancellation of the Big Game on Friday.
westcoast101
A winless season should keep bigger programs away from Wilcox for a while!
Golden One
killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

That's true but the perfectionist in me would always aim for having a bad ass offense to match a plus defense.

This was better than game 1, especially considering the injuries, but it's still not maximizing our skill guys (an opinion, granted, but founded in some reality)
Hard to say this game was much better than game 1. Yes, we kept the game close, but this was a very mediocre opponent. UCLA is a good team, as evidenced by their 38-35 loss to Oregon today.
Troll On You Bears
killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Yeah I guess at least early in the season (and pending development of the offense as they get some experience with it) I'm tending to agree with you. "Pro-style" does tend to evoke that smash-mouth, principled football that Wilcox seems to exude and sounds so attractive on paper, but it seems that the game has passed that strategy by in some regards such that smash-mouth attitude needs to be paired with a modern approach to offense. We'll see what happens. Appreciate your valuable insights on the boards.
Golden One
westcoast101 said:

A winless season should keep bigger programs away from Wilcox for a while!
Which is not good news for our program.
Strykur
Golden One said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Hard to say this game was much better than game 1. Yes, we kept the game close, but this was a very mediocre opponent. UCLA is a good team, as evidenced by their 38-35 loss to Oregon today.
We did play much better than last week, at least.
Golden One
Strykur said:

Golden One said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Yes, but it was against a much inferior opponent than UCLA..
Strykur
Golden One said:

Strykur said:

Golden One said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Well next week we're playing another crap team, so who knows how that will go.
TandemBear
Nope. Branding is important. Professional appearance is important. Why can't Cal take care of the basics? I take pride seeing the Cal script everywhere. On the field. On our players. On my Cal gear. Why on earth would we fail to take advantage of the opportunity to make our staff look good?

If you look sloppy, you probably are. Cal's play and record are (oops!) proving my point for me.
SpartanBear20
The decision not to take the chip shot FG at 4th & goal at the 2 down 14-10 looks really bad in hindsight. Take those points, and Cal likely is in position to kick a game winning FG in the last drive.
I cheer for the Bay's two blue and gold teams that are in neighboring counties. Can you name the other one?
Golden One
Strykur said:

Golden One said:

Strykur said:

Golden One said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

Well next week we're playing another crap team, so who knows how that will go.
Today's game gives us a pretty good indication.
Golden One
SpartanBear20 said:

The decision not to take the chip shot FG at 4th & goal at the 2 down 14-10 looks really bad in hindsight. Take those points, and Cal likely is in position to kick a game winning FG in the last drive.
Yep. That was another very poor decision by Wilcox.
ColoradoBear
SpartanBear20 said:

I feel like analytics say go for the TD so close in. But the INT and touchback was really bad. The reason analytics say go for the TD is that if one fails, the other team is usually pinned at the 1 yard line.
southseasbear
It's been a terribly disappointing season, without a doubt.

Nevertheless, in the first game we played with a defensive line that had not practiced in 2 weeks (which necessarily impaired the o-line's performance).

Today we played without 4 of our 5 guys on our o-line, and their back-ups missed practice reps, in addition to our first string running back.

Nevertheless, Garbers was much better this week and the o-line held their own for most of the game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.