Bears in Corvallis Game Thread

32,557 Views | 488 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Strykur
Beaverdreams2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good game today...exciting at least. Both teams tried hard to give it away at points....at end of the day, I think those two teams pretty evenly matched....which made it fun to watch. The comments on here are mirror image reflections of the angst on our board....fans are a funny bunch... The conference in general seems pretty blah.....Beavs SHOULD be 2-1, but got screwed by refs worse than I've ever seen in Seattle last week.....
AunBear89
southseasbear said:

It's been a terribly disappointing season, without a doubt.

Nevertheless, in the first game we played with a defensive line that had not practiced in 2 weeks (which necessarily impaired the o-line's performance).

Today we played without 4 of our 5 guys on our o-line, and their back-ups missed practice reps, in addition to our first string running back.

Nevertheless, Garbers was much better this week and the o-line held their own for most of the game.

None of that matters to the geniuses on this board. The coaches suck and the players are dumb.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearsandgiants
southseasbear said:

Nevertheless, in the first game we played with a defensive line that had not practiced in 2 weeks (which necessarily impaired the o-line's performance).

Today we played without 4 of our 5 guys on our o-line, and their back-ups missed practice reps, in addition to our first string running back.

Nevertheless, Garbers was much better this week and the o-line held their own for most of the game.

Garbers and the o-line were fine. The problem was the coaching.
southseasbear
AunBear89 said:

southseasbear said:

None of that matters to the geniuses on this board. The coaches suck and the players are dumb.
LOL, some things never change. I guess we can call that our tradition.
bearsandgiants
I'm not sure if they get it, but if I can't win my bets, I can't afford to donate.
Radical Bear
Really disappointing game. When we were up 27-24 and then OSU went 3 and out, I thought that we had it.
TandemBear
Perhaps many here are so down because we had such high hopes for the season. Coming off of last season, we were seen to be on a nice upswing.

Then the year switched to 2020 and things changed. Boy did they change!

It's been a rough year. Crazy pandemic, worldwide disruption, death toll mounting, on what appears to be our third, and biggest, Covid-19 wave. I was very surprised the season was salvaged. And it appears the team and administration has kept the student athletes pretty safe thus far. I sure hope it holds.

All that said, we should probably be VERY happy we've been able to watch ANY Cal football at all this year. We should savor every game, regardless of the outcome. Losses are always hard and today and last week were no exceptions. But let's enjoy what we can.

And as Strykur pointed out in another thread, It's Big Game Week! OMG! How cool is that? So I guess I'm suggesting we put away our negatives and focus on the positives. Let's keep supporting our players and staff (in mis-matching masks) and wish them the best! We do owe it to them. They're performing under very challenging circumstances.

So I offer my thanks to Coach Wilcox, his staff and all the dedicate players for their efforts today and this cray season. Thank you!

Go Bears!
sycasey
Given all the COVID-driven roster scrambling, I'm just trying not to take any of this season too seriously. The games are a nice distraction, but the results don't say a whole lot about the state of the program or whatever.
killa22
sycasey said:

Given all the COVID-driven roster scrambling, I'm just trying not to take any of this season too seriously. The games are a nice distraction, but the results don't say a whole lot about the state of the program or whatever.

That's fair.

My fear is that this particular offensive formula will not translate (in the end) to a conference championship level result.

We have a plus defense, just need to pair it with something as CalStrong would call "Dynamic".

The margin for error that the point yield of a pro style offense will give us, in my opinion, probably is not gonna cut it.

killa22
TandemBear said:

Nope. Branding is important. Professional appearance is important. Why can't Cal take care of the basics? I take pride seeing the Cal script everywhere. On the field. On our players. On my Cal gear. Why on earth would we fail to take advantage of the opportunity to make our staff look good?

If you look sloppy, you probably are. Cal's play and record are (oops!) proving my point for me.

You have a good point.

If you're gonna push for excellence, be excellent at everything, not just defense. But offense, and branding too.

Look at the attention to detail UCLA did with their uniforms they put a patch over the UA logo and switched accessories / gear to not use UA to the extent possible that demonstrates some thought and effort.

On our end we are still proudly rocking the UA logo cuck action.
Troll On You Bears
sycasey said:

I hope recruits are seeing things the same way you are.
sycasey
killa22 said:

sycasey said:

That's fair.

My fear is that this particular offensive formula will not translate (in the end) to a conference championship level result.

We have a plus defense, just need to pair it with something as CalStrong would call "Dynamic".

The margin for error that the point yield of a pro style offense will give us, in my opinion, probably is not gonna cut it.

Very possible. I just don't know how to tell based on the weird situation this year.
FremontBear
sycasey said:

Our Pac-12 rivals play under the same Covid environment too, but some bottom dwellers (Arizona, Colorado, OSU) have managed to improve. Imagine that.
LunchTime
Jesus. Last week was a 0 day notice with no dline for two weeks. This week was just disappointing.

Special teams was terrible all day, specifically. I liked some defensive play, but big play breakdowns really leave a big divot on the overall performance.

Offense looked competent compared to previous offenses. Some problems there, but nothing close to the D and ST breakdowns.

My enthusiasm for football was low when it looked like we wouldn't play. Now it is lower because we are 0-2 after 3 games. Best we can do is a 3-2 season, and that doesnt look like a great bet. Just hard to care about the 2020 team or season. Its just too strange and disconnected from reality.
cal83dls79
Says the guy that has a job, works from home and can take "joy out of the positive". Man, we have fallen
sycasey
FremontBear said:

sycasey said:

Our Pac-12 rivals play under the same Covid environment too, but some bottom dwellers (Arizona, Colorado, OSU) have managed to improve. Imagine that.
Different situations for everyone. It's just not a "normal" season so I don't know what conclusions to draw.
Big C
killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

fat_slice said:

Give up on the power run game please

This is painful to watch.

This scheme is just weak
Honestly, I look forward to your explanation post-game. I know you talked about it after UCLA but I'd like to hear it explained again. I do get the sense that you are an Air Raid or spread guy so I guess I would (respectfully) ask that you try and take a neutral approach to your criticism.

Further, what gets me is that we got a slot guy in Remigio who is a weapon. Two touches and he almost houses it twice on spec teams.

In this pro set deal, he has zero touches.

But cool, tight ends and fullbacks.

Hey, I love tight ends and fullbacks! Reminds me of when I used to root for the Raiders growing up, 40-50 years ago!
Big C
TandemBear said:

Well, that sucks. Looked like we were gonna pull it off, thanks to repeated gifts by OSU.

Unrelated, but what the HECK is up with the mishmash of Cal coaches' masks? One wearing a dark blue - and blank - material mask, another coach in a LAME light blue paper mask? And Wilcox in a grey scarf? I don't think I saw a SINGLE "Cal" mask.

Why on EARTH are all the coaches NOT wearing MATCHING "Cal" script navy blue masks?

Bush league and terrible presentation for UC's flagship school.

How hard would THAT have been to set up for the season?

And looking at Oregon State? All coaches & staff in matching OSU masks, looking professional.

Pretty sad. Perhaps this is merely a reflection of how things are done at Cal Athletics.

The staff's been so busy installing this offense ("Multiple Squared!") they missed the memo that neck gaiters don't do much to stop the spread. I can actually see Wilcox' nose through the nylon! Maybe that's one of the reasons the players are getting the virus...
bearister
I got my driver's license a half a century ago, and then promptly went to the Park theater to see MASH.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
JSC 76
LunchTime said:

. Just hard to care about the 2020 team or season. Its just too strange and disconnected from reality.

Exactly. I can't take anything about this season seriously. It's like a series of Spring Games.
Nothing to cheer about the hiring of Musgrave, though. At this point he either gets an Incomplete or a Fail.
cal83dls79
Other than we "aren't good"?
killa22
Big C said:

killa22 said:

Troll On You Bears said:

killa22 said:

fat_slice said:

Give up on the power run game please

This is painful to watch.

This scheme is just weak
Honestly, I look forward to your explanation post-game. I know you talked about it after UCLA but I'd like to hear it explained again. I do get the sense that you are an Air Raid or spread guy so I guess I would (respectfully) ask that you try and take a neutral approach to your criticism.

Further, what gets me is that we got a slot guy in Remigio who is a weapon. Two touches and he almost houses it twice on spec teams.

In this pro set deal, he has zero touches.

But cool, tight ends and fullbacks.

Hey, I love tight ends and fullbacks! Reminds me of when I used to root for the Raiders growing up, 40-50 years ago!

Nostalgia is a helluva drug lol

I can appreciate it too hahaha
FremontBear
sycasey said:

FremontBear said:

sycasey said:

Different situations for everyone. It's just not a "normal" season so I don't know what conclusions to draw.
We probably don't have enough information to draw conclusions yet, but preliminary data are not encouraging. Maybe we're the victim of rare alignment of planets that affect Cal more than other Pac-12 teams, or maybe we just suck. Friday against Furd could reveal much.
Big C

That's right, the game is FRIDAY. That will make two short practice weeks in a row: Just what we didn't need.
82gradDLSdad
TandemBear said:

Well, that sucks. Looked like we were gonna pull it off, thanks to repeated gifts by OSU.

Unrelated, but what the HECK is up with the mishmash of Cal coaches' masks? One wearing a dark blue - and blank - material mask, another coach in a LAME light blue paper mask? And Wilcox in a grey scarf? I don't think I saw a SINGLE "Cal" mask.

Why on EARTH are all the coaches NOT wearing MATCHING "Cal" script navy blue masks?

Bush league and terrible presentation for UC's flagship school.

How hard would THAT have been to set up for the season?

And looking at Oregon State? All coaches & staff in matching OSU masks, looking professional.

Pretty sad. Perhaps this is merely a reflection of how things are done at Cal Athletics.

My wife noticed the same thing and she hardly watched. I hadn't noticed till she pointed it out.
82gradDLSdad
bearsandgiants said:

I don't want excuses. I want wins. Unacceptable to lose to a clown college with no fans in attendance.

We could have, should have won this game. No doubt. But I've watched enough Cal football to have seen us get absolutely obliterated when we had a couple of o lineman out. Today we played most of the game with 80% backups. To think that we could have easily won this game given that fact is amazing, in my opinion.
oskidunker
Wilcox said they linemen that were out tested positive.

If Trump thinks he can win then a team with no wins can go to a bowl game.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
Just show up a a bowl game, in uniform, and take the field.
Strykur
Bobodeluxe said:

Just show up a a bowl game, in uniform, and take the field.

We would have to win out for that...
touchdownbears43
Coaches have failed to prepare the team. Musgrave looks to be a boring NFL retread. I oddly miss 2019 Beau
wifeisafurd
FremontBear said:

sycasey said:

FremontBear said:

sycasey said:

We probably don't have enough information to draw conclusions yet, but preliminary data are not encouraging. Maybe we're the victim of rare alignment of planets that affect Cal more than other Pac-12 teams, or maybe we just suck. Friday against Furd could reveal much.
I assume we will be down to one starter on oline. Maybe Brown back. Unless the mistakes drop, Big Game against rested Furd could get ugly.
chazzed
touchdownbears43 said:

Coaches have failed to prepare the team. Musgrave looks to be a boring NFL retread. I oddly miss 2019 Beau

2019 Baldwin was acceptable, yeah. The 2017 and 2018 seasons may have done him in.
calumnus
chazzed said:

touchdownbears43 said:

2019 Baldwin was acceptable, yeah. The 2017 and 2018 seasons may have done him in.

In 2019 Cal was #117 in total offense, #113 in yards per play. We were #114 in rushing (ypc). We were #112 in scoring. We were among the very worst in the country, easily as bad as 2017 and 2018. Needless to say we were last in the PAC-12 in offense any way you measure it. We finished the season beating three teams with bad defenses and losing records, which made people feel better, but in each case we scored less than those teams gave up on average. There is no way that is acceptable. We cannot have a winning record in the PAC-12 much less win the thing with the worst offense in the PAC-12. Whether Musgrave is any better remains to be seen, but Baldwin should have been gone after year 1 (like Buh).
Bobodeluxe
If you don't have the players to compete semi-pro, don't.
Strykur
chazzed said:

touchdownbears43 said:

Last year still kind of sucked, we were totally inept without Garbers playing, got skunked at Utah, sucked versus USC, etc. At least given where this offense is right now as of last Saturday (no spring to properly install, limited practice time, starters out) it seems better given the circumstances than Year 3 Beau.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.