NCAA Tournament

42,089 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not even God can save Abeline Christian as UCLA romps. Pac-12 now 9-0.
philbert
sycasey said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Man is Oregon athletic. Very impressive on defensive side. What was that about the Big Ten again?
They look like they might be too small, but they switch and swarm like crazy and can jump out of the building. More than enough to make up for it, even against a player like Garza.

Pac-12 now 8-0 (including the VCU forfeit). I've noticed that in a lot of these games they look like they're just plain out-working the other team. Getting to the loose balls, moving well off-ball, etc.
ucla crushed abilene christian. CO and usc still to come.

KoreAmBear
sycasey said:

Not even God can save Abeline Christian as UCLA romps. Pac-12 now 9-0.
God had to limit His resources to Oral Roberts and Loyola.
KoreAmBear
I heard our Ken Pom index keeps rising as Pac-12 teams keep winning. It's like the back end of the OOC RPI pump.
bearister
Does Becki Falwell root for Oral Roberts?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

I heard our Ken Pom index keeps rising as Pac-12 teams keep winning. It's like the back end of the OOC RPI pump.

Yes, up to #117 in Ken Pom, #30 in Strength of Schedule. Sagarin has us at #129 in Predictor, #141 in Recent. So the PAC-12 is moving up, but our ranking within the PAC-12 is not.
polarbear
No matter what their record and how low their seed as soon as march madness tips off fUCLA seems to summon John Wooden's ghost and comes up with lots of upsets along with amazing luck (i.e. Texas going down). While I cheer for the other eleven Pac-12 teams in MBB I always root for fUCLA to lose every game they play especially in the tournament. I think this is the 2nd time they won the 11 seed play-in game and then made it to the sweet 16. Another time they were an 8 seed and went to the title game. Now I will be cheering for Alabama to win tonight and then beat the Bruins this weekend.
sycasey
Colorado going down. Can't win em all.
oskidunker
Sweet home Alabama
Go Bears!
bearister
sycasey said:

Don't like that team or coach but begrudgingly, being a company man, wanted them to win. I also throw up in my mouth a little bit when I get cornered and feel I have a duty to root for Oregon.
hanky1
SC is beating the shyte out of kansas. Mobley bros dominating
NYCGOBEARS
Watching SC murder Kansas is strangely delightful.
hanky1
NYCGOBEARS said:

Watching SC murder Kansas is strangely delightful.
Their D is wicked good. Not even a single easy look for Kansas the entire half.
HoopDreams
I think SC is the best pac team in the tournament, and that includes the just booted buffs
stu
sycasey said:

That's because we beat them.
sycasey
None of these games today have been all that close, unless Kansas can make a game of it late. Michigan-LSU was the most competitive, and even there Michigan largely had it in hand for the last 5 minutes or so.
bearister
Bears lost to U$C by 8 points.Evan Mobley dropped 25 on us, Isiah Mobley, 7.

Eastern and Midwest teams are overrated.

SC needs to run it up and rub the Jayhawks' noses in this turd. They would if the situation was reversed.
HoopDreams
SC up 30 on the vaulted jayhawks

Strykur
HoopDreams said:

SC up 30 on the vaulted jayhawks
Now almost 40
sycasey
Pac-12 is now guaranteed a team in the Elite 8. USC and Oregon will play each other in the next round.
philbert
sycasey said:

Pac-12 is now guaranteed a team in the Elite 8. USC and Oregon will play each other in the next round.
Who should I root for in that game?
bearister
philbert said:

sycasey said:

SC. The Liege Lord of Oregon made his billions on the backs of underpaid labor, their teams are always full of dirty players and the fans are arrogant. The Mobley brothers seem like good guys. If I owned an NBA franchise, I would want both of them on my team. Andy Enfield is a nice guy...and then there is his wife.
calumnus
sycasey said:

PAC-12 with 25% of the Sweet 16!
Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
USC

dimitrig
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
USC

Weird that with all of these team in the Tourney, and having success no less, Arizona is conspicuously absent!

I know the reasons, of course, but it seems strange to have 4 teams in the Sweet 16 and Arizona is not one of them.

I take back what I said about the Pac-12 being putrid. Apparently it was instead Jeff Sagarin's analytics that were putrid.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

sycasey said:

Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
USC

Weird that with all of these team in the Tourney, and having success no less, Arizona is conspicuously absent!

I know the reasons, of course, but it seems strange to have 4 teams in the Sweet 16 and Arizona is not one of them.

I take back what I said about the Pac-12 being putrid. Apparently it was instead Jeff Sagarin's analytics that were putrid.

More that the analytics are only as good as the data that go into them. There weren't enough non-conference games to get a good sample, compared to a normal season.
Strykur
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

sycasey said:

Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
USC

More that the analytics are only as good as the data that go into them. There weren't enough non-conference games to get a good sample, compared to a normal season.
Aside from the eye-test argument, to think that the PAC-12 is that much better than everybody else is a bit bewildering, but also this is a year where Gonzaga has been an undisputed #1 from the start.

Also, look for Baylor and Michigan to be exposed before the Final Four.
calumnus
bearister said:

philbert said:

sycasey said:

SC. The Liege Lord of Oregon made his billions on the backs of underpaid labor, their teams are always full of dirty players and the fans are arrogant. The Mobley brothers seem like good guys. If I owned an NBA franchise, I would want both of them on my team. Andy Enfield is a nice guy...and then there is his wife.

Just found out that USC PG Ethan Anderson's mom, Pam, was my wife's sorority sister at Cal.
bearister
Luka Garza: Why isn't NBA high on Iowa basketball star? - Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/22/luka-garza-nba-future-iowa-march-madness-daily-cover
oskidunker
The Normal early round match ups for the pac12 against Duke and Kentucky aren't there this year. In a world turned upside down it seems the plodding style of the Big 10 aint making it anymore.
Go Bears!
stu
oskidunker said:

The Normal early round match ups for the pac12 against Duke and Kentucky aren't there this year. In a world turned upside down it seems the plodding style of the Big 10 aint making it anymore.
Somebody please tell Fox.
HoopDreams
espn re-seeded sweet16 teams

1 Pac team a 3 seed
3 Pac teams a 4 seed

basically, they are saying only 1 Pac team to the Elite 8 (because SC and Oregon play each other), and then none to advance to Final Four

Actually I think the teams who have the best shot at reaching the Final Four is USC and ....

Oregon State
sycasey
HoopDreams said:

espn re-seeded sweet16 teams

1 Pac team a 3 seed
3 Pac teams a 4 seed

basically, they are saying only 1 Pac team to the Elite 8 (because SC and Oregon play each other), and then none to advance to Final Four

Actually I think the teams who have the best shot at reaching the Final Four is USC and ....

Oregon State
The issue for P12 teams reaching the Final Four is that USC and Oregon are probably the most talented, but they're stuck in the same region with Gonzaga.
FloriDreaming
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

sycasey said:

Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
USC

There's no doubt the analytics on the Pac 12 was WAY off. One, maybe two teams from a bad conference could sneak into the Sweet 16. Not 4. And at least one will make it to the Elite 8. That's a strong, deep conference no matter how you look at it. Not sure why the analytics are so wildly off.
sycasey
HuaHin (fka Uthai) said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

sycasey said:

Oregon
Oregon State
UCLA
USC

There's no doubt the analytics on the Pac 12 was WAY off. One, maybe two teams from a bad conference could sneak into the Sweet 16. Not 4. And at least one will make it to the Elite 8. That's a strong, deep conference no matter how you look at it. Not sure why the analytics are so wildly off.
As noted above, I think the biggest issue is that the Pac-12 didn't play a lot of games against the other power conferences, in part because teams didn't want to have to travel in COVID times. Most of our non-conference games were against smaller schools out west. The usual comparison points just weren't there.

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/the-pac-12-is-undefeated-at-the-tournament

By the way, this also exposes the major flaws in college football's playoff system, where at least one major conference is going to be left out every year, but with so few non-conference games available in that sport it's really hard to know which conferences are actually the strongest. So the system just defaults to who loses the fewest games, which further encourages teams to not schedule other Power 5 opponents out of conference.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

bearister said:

philbert said:

sycasey said:

Just found out that USC PG Ethan Anderson's mom, Pam, was my wife's sorority sister at Cal.
Pamela Anderson? I kid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.