NCAA Tournament

43,696 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

Usc looked badly overmatched. I thought they would be more competitive. Hard to watch fucla. May watch The Black list.

IMO this is really more about how good this Gonzaga team is rather than anything to do with USC. Just about anyone would have gotten steamrolled by that Zags performance.
Strykur
sycasey said:

oskidunker said:

Usc looked badly overmatched. I thought they would be more competitive. Hard to watch fucla. May watch The Black list.

IMO this is really more about how good this Gonzaga team is rather than anything to do with USC. Just about anyone would have gotten steamrolled by that Zags performance.
Gonzaga stifled USC pretty easily but also keeping up with a team that shoots 50% is going to be a tall order no matter who would have played them.
Fyght4Cal
Gonzaga was a machine tonight. The difference between where on the floor each team started their half-court was astounding. The Zags started just above the foul line. Whereas SC started way out beyond the arc. The Trojans ran into a buzzsaw.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
philbert
Hated rooting for fucla, but go pac12!
bearister
PAC 12 Rules!

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
MiltyBear
philbert said:

Hated rooting for fucla, but go pac12!
If you close your eyes and listen to the fight song you can pretend it's Cal going to the Final Four
HoopDreams
Watching UCLA vs Michigan reminds me that to advance you have to be able to play a number of different styles

You can blow by some teams, but the next game can be completely different

You have to expect that you won't always get a good matchup

One thing you need is a 7 footer for defense

Too many teams have 7 foot bangers who can just kill you

That was our problem vs OSU and others

Lars can serve in that role sometimes, but he's not there yet

Hopefully at some point
sycasey
philbert

HoopDreams
I had no faith UCLA would beat Michigan

But credit their defense in this slugfest

UM missed their last 9 shots

UCLA has no one and done players but are loaded with 4 and 5 stars

They have a 5 star PG coming next year

With Cronin's defensive focus we are past the days where Cal can steal a win from them
bearister
....and in January Bears lost to Bruins by 4 at Haas without Bradley. By deductive reasoning, Bears are a Sweet 16 caliber team, right?

UCLA vs. California - Box Score - January 21, 2021 - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401265385
sycasey
bearister said:

....and in January Bears lost to Bruins by 4 at Haas without Bradley. By deductive reasoning, Bears are a Sweet 16 caliber team, right?

UCLA vs. California - Box Score - January 21, 2021 - ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401265385

These tournament results suggest we would finish in the top half of the Big Ten.
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

I thought USC would be more competitive vs Zags, but Zags proved they are the best team in college basketball as they dismantled another good team

I don't give ucla much chance against Michigan

I'm not surprised ucla is in the elite 8, as I think they have a top coach.

I am surprised that Cronin's defense-minded, slow it down style is successful at UCLA, in the same way I was skeptical that Harrick would be a good match at UCLA (he proved me wrong when they got to 3 Final Fours

Agreed, except I think you mean Howland?
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

With Cronin's defensive focus we are past the days where Cal can steal a win from them

I think I'd take Tyger as a junior over the 5*. Experienced (and successful) gamer at PG is so incredibly valuable in college hoops. Juzang has been UCLA's hero overall, but Tyger is the reason they escaped Alabama. Will be interesting to see what Cronin does with that. Too bad they can't trade the 5* PG for a 5* big.
HoopDreams
drizzlybear said:

HoopDreams said:

I think I'd take Tyger as a junior over the 5*. Experienced (and successful) gamer at PG is so incredibly valuable in college hoops. Juzang has been UCLA's hero overall, but Tyger is the reason they escaped Alabama. Will be interesting to see what Cronin does with that. Too bad they can't trade the 5* PG for a 5* big.
their starting big is plenty good, and their backup big is a solid defender

and yes drizzly, thx for the correction ... I meant howland

by the way, ASU signed 3 players in a week. a top prep and two transfers
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

drizzlybear said:

HoopDreams said:

their starting big is plenty good, and their backup big is a solid defender

and yes drizzly, thx for the correction ... I meant howland

by the way, ASU signed 3 players in a week. a top prep and two transfers

Riley has mostly done yoeman's work, but I don't see him as a dynamic impact player (as presumably a 5* would be), plus they're pretty thin up front. Nwuba made some big defensive plays yesterday, but he has been a rare sighting. Relative to the rest of their roster, their post play seems their weakness. And I'm such a fan of veteran college point guards, like Thompson and Wright, that if I were a UCLA fan I would gladly trade an impact freshman PG for an impact big man right now.
BeachedBear
I didn't watch the entire Zag/Condom match, but what I did see (from Gonzaga) was the best man-to-man Defense, I've seen at the D1 level for quite some time.

They also seem to have the best talent level this season - and not many would disagree that Mark Few is a very good D1 coach.

I also have a number of friends in Spokane who are NOT college basketball fans, but speak about the Zags as if they were the Niners, Giants, Dubs, Cal & Stanford all wrapped up in one. The complete opposite of fan support for Cal in the Bay Area.
drizzlybear
BeachedBear said:

I didn't watch the entire Zag/Condom match, but what I did see (from Gonzaga) was the best man-to-man Defense, I've seen at the D1 level for quite some time.

They also seem to have the best talent level this season - and not many would disagree that Mark Few is a very good D1 coach.

I also have a number of friends in Spokane who are NOT college basketball fans, but speak about the Zags as if they were the Niners, Giants, Dubs, Cal & Stanford all wrapped up in one. The complete opposite of fan support for Cal in the Bay Area.

That's because the Spokane team sports options are indeed all wrapped into one. Outside of Zag hoops, the Spokane sports fan has to be a connoisseur of minor league sports. It is, as you say, "the complete opposite of Cal in the Bay Area."
bearmanpg
If I could have one player from UCLA's roster I would take Jaime Jaquez without a second thought...he plays both ends of the floor as well as doing all the dirty work it takes to win.....Last night he didn't shoot the ball very well but was getting tie ups, rebounds or tipping a pass at crucial times for the Bruins....This UCLA team does something that I haven't seen in a Bruin team in a looong, loong time and that is play hard for 40 minutes...that is what Cronin has this team buying into....
bearister
That kid really, really impresses me. He is tough to guard. He is my designated favorite player on that squad. He is a whirling dervish, plus he looks like on of the Three Musketeers.

59bear
SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

philbert said:

Go Beavs! If they can make the elite 8, why can't Cal?
Wayne Tinkle versus Mark Fox.
That is unfair, just another chance to bash the current Cal coach.

Wayne Tinkle is a good coach, but it took him 7 years to have this good team at Oregon State. He still hasn't had a 20 win season at OSU. And much of his success, maybe even allowing him to hold his job was he brought along his son, who was arguably his best player for 4 seasons.The year that Tres Tinkle was hurt, and played only 6 games, Wayne Tinkle's OSU team went 5-27, right down there with Fox's season this year and both Wyking Jones' seasons in terms of failure. Unfortunately, Fox did not bring a son of Tres Tinkle's caliber with him to Cal.

It takes time to build a winner at schools like OSU and Cal. Both schools had great basketball success in the past, and both have suffered a loss of basketball reputation over time. It is hard to recruit to either school, and hard to find the money to pay a proven coach. It took Larry Kristowiak four years to have a good team, a 20-win team at Utah. It just takes time.

It is completely fair. Tinkle did not build a great program at OSU. He is just a good coach who puts his team in a position to have success if they get a few breaks. Similar to Mike M., Thad Boyle, Kyle Smith and Larry K.. The formula is you hire a coach who is good at Xs and Os and player development. Every so often, the planets will align and you will have success. It is no coincidence that the best Cal coach of my lifetime is the only one to win a conference championship in my lifetime.

When Monty came Cal looked good right away. It was night and day compared to Braun, who was incompetent like Fox. Every Tinkle team plays at or above their talent. Fox's team looked like crap last year and this year. And they will next year and every year until he is fired. I am looking forward to that day.
You lose all credibility when you state that Ben Braun was incompetent. Ben Braun is the second most winning coach in Cal history. His 219 wins at Cal are second only to Nibs Price, who had 453. His winning percentage was .587, ranking him 6th among the 13 coaches Cal has had in my lifetime. I would describe Braun as an above average coach. I believe he was a better coach than Todd Bozeman or Cuonzo Martin, both of whom had better a better winning percentage than Braun. Visually, Braun's offense stalled at times with too much perimeter dribbling, but they often ran recognizable set plays, much more often than did several coaches at Cal, like Padgett, Campanelli, Bozeman, Martin, Jones or Fox. Braun's defense had some holes, but it was average or above, IMO. A coach is incompetent when his teams can't compete, and he has losing record after losing record. And a coach is incompetent when his teams don't look good, or look confused, and Ben's teams seldom looked that bad. I think he won most of the games Cal should have won, and lost the ones he shouldn't have won. He was not creative like Newell or Montgomery, who often beat the teams they were not supposed to beat, just by outsmarting them. But they are Hall of Fame caliber coaches, and Ben Braun was not that. He was good, and I suspect a lot of Cal fans would take him right now, in a heartbeat. I would, because I think he would bring us back to respectability, just like he did years ago when he was hired to revamp the Cal program which had lost all respect by hiring a coach who would cheat to win, and got caught, putting Cal on NCAA probation. If Braun did nothing else, he saved the Cal basketball program, continued with some good recruiting, and some pretty good coaching to produce several winning years, all of it squeaky clean, never breaking NCAA rules. You don't accomplish that if you are incompetent. His winning percentage was well above .500, which I would define as average, so in my book, he was an above average coach.

I have to agree that there is a tendency on this board to overuse labels like "incompetent". IMO, there is a vast difference between "not good enough" and incompetent. Any coach who can win more than half his games has exhibited some level of competence.
Chabbear
"If I could have one player from UCLA's roster I would take Jaime Jaquez without a second thought...he plays both ends of the floor as well as doing all the dirty work it takes to win."
"
He is from my high school, Go Scorpions! Good to see.
sycasey
59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

philbert said:

Wayne Tinkle is a good coach, but it took him 7 years to have this good team at Oregon State. He still hasn't had a 20 win season at OSU. And much of his success, maybe even allowing him to hold his job was he brought along his son, who was arguably his best player for 4 seasons.The year that Tres Tinkle was hurt, and played only 6 games, Wayne Tinkle's OSU team went 5-27, right down there with Fox's season this year and both Wyking Jones' seasons in terms of failure. Unfortunately, Fox did not bring a son of Tres Tinkle's caliber with him to Cal.

It takes time to build a winner at schools like OSU and Cal. Both schools had great basketball success in the past, and both have suffered a loss of basketball reputation over time. It is hard to recruit to either school, and hard to find the money to pay a proven coach. It took Larry Kristowiak four years to have a good team, a 20-win team at Utah. It just takes time.

It is completely fair. Tinkle did not build a great program at OSU. He is just a good coach who puts his team in a position to have success if they get a few breaks. Similar to Mike M., Thad Boyle, Kyle Smith and Larry K.. The formula is you hire a coach who is good at Xs and Os and player development. Every so often, the planets will align and you will have success. It is no coincidence that the best Cal coach of my lifetime is the only one to win a conference championship in my lifetime.

When Monty came Cal looked good right away. It was night and day compared to Braun, who was incompetent like Fox. Every Tinkle team plays at or above their talent. Fox's team looked like crap last year and this year. And they will next year and every year until he is fired. I am looking forward to that day.
You lose all credibility when you state that Ben Braun was incompetent. Ben Braun is the second most winning coach in Cal history. His 219 wins at Cal are second only to Nibs Price, who had 453. His winning percentage was .587, ranking him 6th among the 13 coaches Cal has had in my lifetime. I would describe Braun as an above average coach. I believe he was a better coach than Todd Bozeman or Cuonzo Martin, both of whom had better a better winning percentage than Braun. Visually, Braun's offense stalled at times with too much perimeter dribbling, but they often ran recognizable set plays, much more often than did several coaches at Cal, like Padgett, Campanelli, Bozeman, Martin, Jones or Fox. Braun's defense had some holes, but it was average or above, IMO. A coach is incompetent when his teams can't compete, and he has losing record after losing record. And a coach is incompetent when his teams don't look good, or look confused, and Ben's teams seldom looked that bad. I think he won most of the games Cal should have won, and lost the ones he shouldn't have won. He was not creative like Newell or Montgomery, who often beat the teams they were not supposed to beat, just by outsmarting them. But they are Hall of Fame caliber coaches, and Ben Braun was not that. He was good, and I suspect a lot of Cal fans would take him right now, in a heartbeat. I would, because I think he would bring us back to respectability, just like he did years ago when he was hired to revamp the Cal program which had lost all respect by hiring a coach who would cheat to win, and got caught, putting Cal on NCAA probation. If Braun did nothing else, he saved the Cal basketball program, continued with some good recruiting, and some pretty good coaching to produce several winning years, all of it squeaky clean, never breaking NCAA rules. You don't accomplish that if you are incompetent. His winning percentage was well above .500, which I would define as average, so in my book, he was an above average coach.

I have to agree that there is a tendency on this board to overuse labels like "incompetent". IMO, there is a vast difference between "not good enough" and incompetent. Any coach who can win more than half his games has exhibited some level of competence.
The 1997 season alone was pretty damn impressive. The team lost their top scorer and still managed to scrap their way into the Sweet 16.
drizzlybear
sycasey said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

philbert said:

The 1997 season alone was pretty damn impressive. The team lost their top scorer and still managed to scrap their way into the Sweet 16.

Perhaps my all-time favorite team. I loved the way they played basketball, with fabulous defense and ferocious rebounding and rim protection. And I also got a kick out of the hodgepodge way that roster came together, with players coming from such disparate paths to play terrific team basketball.
drizzlybear
bearmanpg said:

If I could have one player from UCLA's roster I would take Jaime Jaquez without a second thought...he plays both ends of the floor as well as doing all the dirty work it takes to win.....Last night he didn't shoot the ball very well but was getting tie ups, rebounds or tipping a pass at crucial times for the Bruins....This UCLA team does something that I haven't seen in a Bruin team in a looong, loong time and that is play hard for 40 minutes...that is what Cronin has this team buying into....

He'd be my pick, too. His pivot game is beautiful.
sycasey
drizzlybear said:

sycasey said:

59bear said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

sluggo said:

philbert said:

Perhaps my all-time favorite team. I loved the way they played basketball, with fabulous defense and ferocious rebounding and rim protection. And I also got a kick out of the hodgepodge way that roster came together, with players coming from such disparate paths to play terrific team basketball.
Yes, I think way they played "big" (with the ferocious rebounding and rim protection) surprised some opponents in the tournament, particularly Villanova who didn't seem to expect that from a Pac-10 team. And the way Tony G stepped up as a scorer with Ed Gray out was also pretty legendary, probably helping his NFL draft standing in the process.
BigDaddy
Under Armour picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue!

March Madness Daily: UCLA, Under Armour Ignore Each Other During Run

The Elite Eight features seven Nike schools and one team covering up the logo of its apparel partner.

UCLA, one of two double-digit seeds remaining in the tournament, is in the middle of a legal battle with Under Armour over one of the largest apparel contracts in NCAA history. It's less a matter of whether the deal will end and more a matter of how; UCLA has already inked a new partnership with Nike that will kick in on July 1.

In the meantime, the Bruins are covering up the Under Armour logo on their jerseys, and many players are wearing Nike shoes, depriving the Baltimore-based sportswear company of valuable exposure during one of the most popular television events of the year.

Though the UA logo is still visible on shorts and some sideline apparel, Under Armour has lost out on roughly $12 million worth of marketing exposure during UCLA's run, according to Apex Marketing Group. Should the Bruins make the championship, that number could rise to more than $35 million.

What would normally be a huge marketing opportunityone of college basketball's most storied programs back in the Elite Eight for the first time in nearly 15 yearsis being largely ignored by both sides. UCLA gear isn't listed on the company's fan site, and Under Armour's logo is no longer on the Bruins homepage.

Under Armour also says it has no plans to produce any UCLA product in relation to the NCAA tournament. A UCLA spokeswoman referred questions to the company.

The 15-year, $280 million UCLA-Under Armour deal went sour last year in the middle of the pandemic, when Under Armour sent the school a letter stating its intention to terminate the deal due to a major change in circumstance. The letter came as Under Armour sheds major sports marketing deals across its business.

UCLA sued Under Armour for breach of contract, and unsuccessful mediation attempts concluded in August. The lawsuit remains in litigation in L.A. County Court, with a hearing set for April 15.

https://sports.yahoo.com/march-madness-daily-ucla-under-143032940.html
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
joe amos yaks
Final 4 ... two public research universities, a Jesuit, and a Baptist ...
bearister
joe amos yaks
bearister said:

joe amos yaks said:

Final 4 ... two public research universities, a Jesuit, and a Baptist ...

I know who I'm throwing my lot in with:

That leaves two dictators and a meat tenderizer.
HoopDreams
drizzlybear said:

BeachedBear said:

That's because the Spokane team sports options are indeed all wrapped into one. Outside of Zag hoops, the Spokane sports fan has to be a connoisseur of minor league sports. It is, as you say, "the complete opposite of Cal in the Bay Area."
I went to spokane for the tournament a few years back

basically a cow town in the middle of no where

the probably follow the Seattle teams, but unless they flew would not attend any games in person

of course, my stay in Spokane was unexpectedly short. my hotel was nice enough to let me leave after one night, even through I had a longer reservation. The other apparent 'attraction' in the town was a small casino.

everyone I met was very nice, and their college is a destination because of the higher profile they earned from their basketball team

ncbears
FWIW, my brother in law says UCLA is angling for/counting on getting Rutgers big man Myles Johnson who is in the portal and, while a graduate transfer, still has two years of eligibility. Johnson averaged 8.3 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals in 24.5 minutes per game this year. He was listed at 6'9 when at Long Beach Poly.
He is an engineering student - and Cal does have quite the most excellent engineering school ---
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
BigDaddy
ncbears said:

FWIW, my brother in law says UCLA is angling for/counting on getting Rutgers big man Myles Johnson who is in the portal and, while a graduate transfer, still has two years of eligibility. Johnson averaged 8.3 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals in 24.5 minutes per game this year. He was listed at 6'9 when at Long Beach Poly.
He is an engineering student - and Cal does have quite the most excellent engineering school ---
They're on the short list for Johnson and Miami center Nysier Brooks, who is also in the transfer portal.

The transfer portal is now a vital part of roster building/recruiting. Hope this staff is working it hard. Great way to add upperclassmen and fill out a roster. Don't know if they can get in the mix for the guys above, but there are a ton of guys looking for a new home.

stu
FWIW my conference ranking, based on total tournament wins:
1st PAC-12 (13)
2nd Big-12 (9)
3rd Big Ten (8)
4th SEC (7)
T5th ACC (4)
T5th American (4)
T5th Big East (4)
T5th WCC (4)
9th) MVC (3)
T10th six others (1 each)

Those rankings won't change unless Gonzaga (WCC) and/or Houston (American) win and break out of the tie for 5th.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.