NCAA Tournament

43,684 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

This game is awesome.

Can't remember a better one. National Championship will be anticlimactic.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BulaBear3cubs
I saw contact to his elbow before any contact to the hand/ball
bearister
Suggs didn't call backboard.
concernedparent
Incredible game. UCLA's fundamentals really failed them at the end. 3 on 1 ended in a botched, tough floater. Nobody picked up the dribbling man at half court.
sycasey
Instant classic.
bearister
Suggs may be the most humble A+ player I have seen in many years. You can accept being beaten by an individual of that quality.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

Have to give it to UCLA. Incredible tournament. Hard to go down on a lucky shot but they should be very proud of their performance.
dimitrig
concernedparent said:

Incredible game. UCLA's fundamentals really failed them at the end. 3 on 1 ended in a botched, tough floater. Nobody picked up the dribbling man at half court.

UCLA should have won this game but this was a game neither team deserved to lose.
socaliganbear
They're back.
BulaBear3cubs
concernedparent said:

Ya, but Kronin scares me. He clearly can coach. Good thing we are football school now.
Strykur
socaliganbear said:

They're back.
1 senior on their roster, some will have pro aspirations of course but with everybody coming back next year motivated to avenge tonight, they will be preseason #1 by a mile.
Golden One
UCLA's defense in the paint was terrible, and they had no answer to Timme. But overall they played a very good game against the soon-to-be national champion. Congratulations to the Bruins.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

Have to give it to UCLA. Incredible tournament. Hard to go down on a lucky shot but they should be very proud of their performance.

Yeah, they went toe to toe on individual effort. Made tough shots all night. They did the Pac-12 proud.
HoopDreams
ucla shot 58%, including 47% from there ... and lose
DLSbear
Much love for the baby bears! Congratulations to the Bruins on a stellar season!
B.A. Bearacus

concernedparent
Strykur said:

socaliganbear said:

They're back.
1 senior on their roster, some will have pro aspirations of course but with everybody coming back next year motivated to avenge tonight, they will be preseason #1 by a mile.
Johnny Juzang might've played himself into the first round. I bet he's gone. Big blow, but I bet Jacquez takes another step and becomes their leading scorer.
calumnus
DLSbear said:

Much love for the baby bears! Congratulations to the Bruins on a stellar season!

Man, even as a Cal fan I'm loving this UCLA team. Great game, thought there were some questionable calls going against the Bruins.
drizzlybear
BulaBear3cubs said:

Completely agree. Replay showed clearly that while Suggs did touch touch the ball with his fingers, his arm completely and forcefully hit Riley's right arm, which is what appeared to cause the miss.

I don't want that to sound like sour grapes (I did want UCLA to win). I can understand the call not getting made. Both teams played amazing. I thought the charge on Juzang at the end of regulation was the right call and a very courageous one for the ref to call in that moment.
sycasey
drizzlybear said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Completely agree. Replay showed clearly that while Suggs did touch touch the ball with his fingers, his arm completely and forcefully hit Riley's right arm, which is what appeared to cause the miss.

I don't want that to sound like sour grapes (I did want UCLA to win). I can understand the call not getting made. Both teams played amazing. I thought the charge on Juzang at the end of regulation was the right call and a very courageous one for the ref to call in that moment.

I'd guess it's pretty common for refs to miss contact down lower on the arm when a guy is going up for a dunk.

The charge at the end seemed obvious, and confirmed on replay. Defender was in position.
calumnus
sycasey said:

drizzlybear said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I'd guess it's pretty common for refs to miss contact down lower on the arm when a guy is going up for a dunk.

The charge at the end seemed obvious, and confirmed on replay. Defender was in position.

He shuffled his feet to get there, but yeah, he eventually was set before contact.

There were other calls/no calls in regulation that went the Zags way that I think ended up deciding the game.
B.A. Bearacus
drizzlybear
B.A. Bearacus said:

Thats cool. Like to see that. We need more of that.
bearister
The NBA arc is 23' 9". The half court line is 47'. Sugg's buzzer beater was 40'.
BigDaddy
Johnny Juzang is almost certainly gone to the NBA. Played himself into the first round. I think they return everyone else.

Incredible game, and a great tournament for the Pac-12.

“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
philbert
If Juzang leaves, that will be a big blow to their chances next year. He was their goto guy when they needed points. I love Jaquez, but he can't score on isos like Juzang.
concordtom
dimitrig said:

stu said:

dimitrig said:

217k people. That makes it the size of Fremont.
FWIW that's more than Tempe, Salt Lake City, Eugene, Boulder, or Corvallis (though Tempe and Boulder are close to bigger cities).

True.

Roughly the same size:

Modesto, Fontana, Moreno Valley, Oxnard, Santa Clarita

It's not about pop within city limits. It's about the metro area pop.
Gonzaga is a long ways away from other areas. Santa Clarita or Freemont or Tempe or SLC proper are not great compares.
concordtom
bearister said:

Fyght4Cal said:

bearister said:

Real smart player. Slow. No hops.
6'-10" and no blocks But did what he had to.

He is equivalent to Fred Biletnikoff, except on the court. Slow, smart but with moves. If I owned an NBA team, I would take both Mobleys before I took him.
Yes, Timmie has been fantastic to watch in the tournament.
But against larger and more experienced professionals, I have a hard time imagining him getting buckets inside easily like this. And he shoots the 3 below 30%. Too bad, but this could be as good as it gets for him.
concordtom
BulaBear3cubs said:

That was a foul on Suggs block
He hit the back of the hand.
What is the rule on "hand is part of the ball"?

Actually, he hit his elbow.

But a bigger issue is that he went out of bounds after the block, then stepped only one foot back in bounds before collecting the ball and racing downcourt with that amazing bounce pass for a dunk. Incredible sequence. However, doesn't a player have to re-establish being in bounds with BOTH FEET?

concordtom
BulaBear3cubs said:

concernedparent said:

Ya, but Kronin scares me. He clearly can coach.
NO DOUBT! Kronin barks on the sideline like a mad man. Reminded me of Ben Howland.

But Kronin's post game comments and presser were outstanding. Calm and reasoned.
I loved what he said about simply sitting in John Wooden's chair, and excellence being doing your best, and UCLA was excellent that night. He won me over. And scared me at the same time. But I loved the intensity and then the ability to bring it back down.
concordtom
sycasey said:

drizzlybear said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Hey, you've got to give the Ref who made that brave Charge call at the end a ton of credit!
concordtom
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

drizzlybear said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

He shuffled his feet to get there, but yeah, he eventually was set before contact.

There were other calls/no calls in regulation that went the Zags way that I think ended up deciding the game.
I recall free throws that barely rolled out.
Sometimes it's just too tough to determine a winner and you have to let the ball bounce where it will. In this case, off the backboard and into the bottom or the net for Gonzaga.

But at least it's not soccer where, truly, one stupid play over 90 mins of action determines it. EVERY game!
concordtom
BigDaddy said:

Johnny Juzang is almost certainly gone to the NBA. Played himself into the first round. I think they return everyone else.

Incredible game, and a great tournament for the Pac-12.

One of the very best college games I've ever seen! I watched late at night as family had already gone to sleep. But I let out a VERY audible yell OHHHH! after that last shot that woke people up.

I love that Juzang is repping the Asian community. He's VERY entertaining to watch. I sure as hell hope he can play well in the NBA and not flame out as merely a college star as most do.
concordtom
One of the calls not included in the list above was Adam Morrison's - he's the one simply yelling YES YES YES WOW at the end.

concordtom
Suggs fouled Riley on the arm video clip

https://streamable.com/iqrxjm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.