Story Poster
Photo by Darren Yamashita-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Basketball

Matt Bradley Enters the Transfer Portal

April 2, 2021

Junior guard Matt Bradley has reportedly entered the NCAA transfer portal, according to national college basketball writer Jeff Goodman.

A spokesperson from Cal’s athletics department independently verified to Bear Insider that Bradley is indeed currently in the transfer portal.

Bradley has led Cal in scoring the past two seasons. This season, Bradley averaged 18 points and 4.6 rebounds in 22 games. Bradley averaged 17.5 points and 4.9 rebounds per game as a sophomore. For his career, Bradley has shot 40.4% from three-point range.

Just because Bradley has entered the portal doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll leave Cal. Players that put their name in the portal can and do return to their original schools. If Bradley does end up leaving, this would obviously be a huge blow to Cal’s roster next season and Head Coach Mark Fox’s rebuild.

We’ll be updating this story as we learn more.

Discussion from...

Matt Bradley Enters the Transfer Portal

26,701 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by calumnus
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If he leaves, there's not much more you need to see from Fox. Fox must go.
Golden One
Can hardly blame him. He undoubtedly wants to play on a team that can make the tourney.
stu
I'm not sure Fox knows what to do with one player who is so much better than the others. Not a good situation for anyone involved.
concernedparent
Fox is a dead man walking.
Big C

Somebody remind me again: Why is this day called Good Friday? Seems like only bad things happen on it...
SFCityBear
It didn't take long for some of his usual critics to blame Fox for this. The facts will probably never be made public. I hope he does not transfer, but it is hard to think of a better reason to stay than to go, other than loyalty to his teammates and his coach. He seemed to support the coach, but one does not know his thoughts.

I for one will miss Bradley's talent, and wish that there had been some better talent on this team, so there wouldn't have been the temptation to give one man the ball and the green light for so much of the game, usually a losing strategy. Even playing by himself a lot, he still managed to find time and ways to be an inspirational leader on this team, and that is what I will miss most. He might be doing more to showcase his stuff on a better team with an eye to the draft, but it is a sad comment on what the college game has become. The team, coach and fans will miss him, and I wish him well. He gave it all he had, but the team kept coming up short for the most part, and that is not easy for a fierce competitor like Matt to take.

SFCityBear
helltopay1
Remember the time (s) when Fox did not start Bradley. did that indicate a rift??
NVBear78
I read that Bradley is not a grad transfer. Why would he sit a year?

I totally get it otherwise...
helltopay1
If he leaves, one or more of the incoming recruits may decide to also jump ship..this will have a negative impact on the 2022 recruits. The wrong HC hire is like the wrong QB on your team. Sets you back at least 2-4 years.
calfanz
Weird.

Right after the season, if I recall correctly, it was reported that Matt was coming back. Something changed
BC Calfan
I don't blame him at all. I'm happy for him and wish him the best.

I also think this isn't that devastating. There's no reason to think we'd be demonstrably better next year running it back with our new recruits. And we actually played decent without Matt last year. Our best win of the season at Utah was without him.

Let's see what Fox does now. Why I am prepared to be underwhelmed?
bluehenbear
BDW's for the foreseeable future.
helltopay1
These are the players who left Cal when and after Fox was hired:
Vznover
Sueing
mcNeil
Bradley??

Turn out the lights...thge party is over..

our AD is also on the clock.
Big C
NVBear78 said:

Yeah, I don't get why he'd transfer if it meant he'd have to sit out a year. If he were going to do that, he could play for Cal next season and then still grad-transfer somewhere else after that.

The NCAA is currently considering the possibility of not making first-time transfers sit out for a year. My guess is that Bradley will be waiting to hear how that goes. Either that or he has enough units to where he can "pull a Jordan Mathews". But sitting out a season doesn't make sense for him.
Big C
calfanz said:

Weird.

Right after the season, if I recall correctly, it was reported that Matt was coming back. Something changed

Everybody says they're staying... until they're not. But it seems as if a few people here took that at face value.
tsubamoto2001
I haven't double checked, but I believe 1st time transfers are now allowed to transfer without sitting out a year starting this offseason.

Big C said:

NVBear78 said:

Yeah, I don't get why he'd transfer if it meant he'd have to sit out a year. If he were going to do that, he could play for Cal next season and then still grad-transfer somewhere else after that.

The NCAA is currently considering the possibility of not making first-time transfers sit out for a year. My guess is that Bradley will be waiting to hear how that goes. Either that or he has enough units to where he can "pull a Jordan Mathews". But sitting out a season doesn't make sense for him.
bearister
BC Calfan said:

I don't blame him at all. I'm happy for him and wish him the best.

I also think this isn't that devastating. There's no reason to think we'd be demonstrably better next year running it back with our new recruits. And we actually played decent without Matt last year. Our best win of the season at Utah was without him.

Let's see what Fox does now. Why I am prepared to be underwhelmed?

I think his loss would be devastating to our program but one of your points brought to mind something I looked up while watching UCLA's run in the tourney: In December, we lost to the Bruins by 20 with Matt; in January., without Matt, we lost by 4. It proves nothing. We are screwed...but on the surface it plays to your narrative.

I'm thinking this might hurt more than Connor "The one that got away" Vanover leaving.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KoreAmBear
helltopay1 said:

Remember the time (s) when Fox did not start Bradley. did that indicate a rift??
At UCLA second half. Probably didn't help.
KoreAmBear
calfanz said:

Weird.

Watching all these Pac-12 teams kill it in the Big Dance?
philbert

Chapman_is_Gone
Who cares. Instead of finishing 11th, now we're going to finish 12th? Oh boy. Devastating.

The basketball program died on 3/24/17 when Cal announced to the world that they weren't interested in competing.

Nothing will change until the school makes a substantial investment in the program and gives the team the BASIC things they need like a dedicated practice facility. Until then, the 27 Cal basketball fans who actively participate on this forum are just a Whistlin' Dixie.
Econ141
Yup - if you're a good basketball player you must experience the tournament. There is no hope of that at Cal. Good luck to Matt and hope he kills it wherever he plays next.

Berkeley is trending down in so many aspects it's rather sad. We are the #2 public school watching the #1 play in final four tomorrow while we just lost the one guy who could make us mediocre next year.

Go bears?
Bobodeluxe
Oh, the humanity.
dimitrig

I thought this was an April Fool's joke, but sadly it is not.

If he leaves Fox needs to be fired for sure unless he is about to pull in some major 5 star talent (haha!)

sluggo
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Who cares. Instead of finishing 11th, now we're going to finish 12th? Oh boy. Devastating.

The basketball program died on 3/24/17 when Cal announced to the world that they weren't interested in competing.

Nothing will change until the school makes a substantial investment in the program and gives the team the BASIC things they need like a dedicated practice facility. Until then, the 27 Cal basketball fans who actively participate on this forum are just a Whistlin' Dixie.

It was just a few years ago that Cal had 3 McDs All Americans plus a fourth player who played in the NBA. Did they have a practice facility then? They just need a good coach, everything else will fall in place. Bradley transferring is a good thing as it gets Cal closer to a good coach.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

helltopay1 said:

There were three games Bradley played in but did not start. Latest one was against Stanford in the PAC-12 tournament.

It was clearly some sort of disciplining.

He could still stay but he is probably gone.

I think we better hope Alajiki is a good one.
calumnus
sluggo said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

It was just a few years ago that Cal had 3 McDs All Americans plus a fourth player who played in the NBA. Did they have a practice facility then? They just need a good coach, everything else will fall in place. Bradley transferring is a good thing as it gets Cal closer to a good coach.

A good coach and a winning program brings in the money for nice amenities. Ironically Tedford's teams were best in the years before the half $billion Memorial renovation and SAHPC, far better than any team that has come after.
helltopay1
Rolodex time for everyone concerned.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

helltopay1 said:

There were three games Bradley played in but did not start. Latest one was against Stanford in the PAC-12 tournament.

Anyanwu is supposed to be the highest rated and our hope for instant minutes, but without Bradley it won't matter much.

The @UCLA game was the head scratcher though and most disrespectful to Bradley. Fox pulled him early in the second half and he didn't see the floor the rest of the game. The Fox said in the interview afterwards like he was trying to teach him a lesson something about "he is a good player and blah blah blah." Yah he is our best player by a mile and to say that when you benched him for a half basically conceding the game that early was insulting. Fox is not Coach K or Jim Boeheim where he can be uncouth and get away with it. He is the coach of a last place team. There is no room for that BS.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

helltopay1 said:

Anyanwu is supposed to be the highest rated and our hope for instant minutes, but without Bradley it won't matter much.

The @UCLA game was the head scratcher though and most disrespectful to Bradley. Fox pulled him early in the second half and he didn't see the floor the rest of the game. The Fox said in the interview afterwards like he was trying to teach him a lesson something about "he is a good player and blah blah blah." Yah he is our best player by a mile and to say that when you benched him for a half basically conceding the game that early was insulting. Fox is not Coach K or Jim Boeheim where he can be uncouth and get away with it. He is the coach of a last place team. There is no room for that BS.

Oh yeah, I was trying to remember when Fox backhanded insulted him in the press. I thought "Bradley will transfer" when he said that.

Public disciplining is a bad practice. It just invites family, friends and the press to ask the player and coach what happened. Most team/player issues should be kept private. Just like HR at a company.

calumnus
dimitrig said:

I thought this was an April Fool's joke, but sadly it is not.

If he leaves Fox needs to be fired for sure unless he is about to pull in some major 5 star talent (haha!)

And Fox will get $8.5 million for all of this. Incredible.
Civil Bear
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

helltopay1 said:

I respectably disagree here. For Fox to have any kind of chance he needs to be the one in control. We saw what happened with Braun when he loosened the reigns with the highly-rated Powe, Ubaka, Kately, McGuire class.
Deutsch
Maybe not so relevant but my impression is that Fox is responsible for coaching MB out of his temper tantrums and into a maturity which allowed his talent to fully develop.
I don't know enough about the game any more to make insightful basketball comments, but when I summoned the courage to watch this season's team I saw them do pretty much what others were doing (X's and O"s) but at a talent disadvantage. The bottom line for me therefore is recruiting (and in this day and age, retention). So, for me, Fox is a good enough technical guy, and can shape young men, but if he can't attract or retain competitive talent, he should be someone's great assistant - but not a head coach.
mbBear
helltopay1 said:

These are the players who left Cal when and after Fox was hired:
Vznover
Sueing
mcNeil
Bradley??

Turn out the lights...thge party is over..

our AD is also on the clock.
The same AD who got a grad year program set up for athletes to get into, got the Football Head coaching position endowed, and is digging out the AD from what was a Title IX nightmare?
The other hands on his clock include a Field Hockey endowment and a large softball field and tennis contribution.
An AD who has to change over the basketball coach...shocking.
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

helltopay1 said:

I respectably disagree here. For Fox to have any kind of chance he needs to be the one in control. We saw what happened with Braun when he loosened the reigns with the highly-rated Powe, Ubaka, Kately, McGuire class.

He is already in control. What he needs to be is man enough not to have to prove it. What he did to Bradley in that game to prove a point was massive overkill. Take him out for a minute and talk to him like a man. If you have to do what Fox did, you have already lost respect.

Braun's problem with that class was not control. It was that Kately and very much McGuire should not have been part of it. Being a disciplinarian would not have saved the situation. Braun knew the issues going in. He bet he could manage them and lost that bet hard.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.