Is Fox gone yet? If not, why?

7,008 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by stu
Calfan92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assumed he would be canned after the Southern game, nah. After that mess last night in front of 62 fans, I would have thought a press conference would be planned for today. Crickets. I know many of you have better insider knowledge, so curious what the deal is. I get that Wilcox is owed too much, but what about Fox?
calumnus
Calfan92 said:

Assumed he would be canned after the Southern game, nah. After that mess last night in front of 62 fans, I would have thought a press conference would be planned for today. Crickets. I know many of you have better insider knowledge, so curious what the deal is. I get that Wilcox is owed too much, but what about Fox?

With the extensions Knowlton has given him, Fox may have 3 years remaining at $1.9 million per year guaranteed.
KoreAmBear
Knowlton is secretly hoping that his newfound euphoria from The 125th Big Game will continue into the UCLA game and draw attention away from men's basketball.

Btw, look at this article when Fox was first hired. Look at the track record of the search firm for west coast basketball programs:

Quote:

In recent years, it has assisted on searches at Santa Clara (Herb Sendek), Fresno State (Justin Hutson), San Jose State (Jean Prioleau), Pacific (Damon Stoudamire), New Mexico (Craig Neal) and Utah State (Tim Druyea).

Fresno is 1-3 and almost as bad as us. Great hire. Herb Sendek? A retread almost as bad as Fox but not quite.

Quote:

The search began with a list of 40 candidates, Knowlton explained, which was cut to a handful by CSA.
Knowlton said he spoke to four candidates face-to-face but declined to name names.
"The great thing about a search firm they do a lot," he said. "We go back and forth and spend hours and hours vetting candidates before I even go see them."

Stinkers! Just shows how lazy Knowlton was/is. Dude wanted to get it over with by doing minimal DD on his own.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/01/cal-ad-jim-knowlton-explains-the-search-process-that-ended-with-mark-fox/
CalLifer
KoreAmBear said:

Knowlton is secretly hoping that his newfound euphoria from The 125th Big Game will continue into the UCLA game and draw attention away from men's basketball.

Btw, look at this article when Fox was first hired. Look at the track record of the search firm for west coast basketball programs:

Quote:

In recent years, it has assisted on searches at Santa Clara (Herb Sendek), Fresno State (Justin Hutson), San Jose State (Jean Prioleau), Pacific (Damon Stoudamire), New Mexico (Craig Neal) and Utah State (Tim Druyea).

Fresno is 1-3 and almost as bad as us. Great hire. Herb Sendek? A retread almost as bad as Fox but not quite.

Quote:

The search began with a list of 40 candidates, Knowlton explained, which was cut to a handful by CSA.
Knowlton said he spoke to four candidates face-to-face but declined to name names.
"The great thing about a search firm they do a lot," he said. "We go back and forth and spend hours and hours vetting candidates before I even go see them."

Stinkers! Just shows how lazy Knowlton was/is. Dude wanted to get it over with by doing minimal DD on his own.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/04/01/cal-ad-jim-knowlton-explains-the-search-process-that-ended-with-mark-fox/

Why do the work yourself when you can outsource it to someone else who will find you a best friend to boot?
KoreAmBear
CalLifer said:

KoreAmBear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Why do the work yourself when you can outsource it to someone else who will find you a best friend to boot?
The whole Travis didn't interview well kills me. I truly believe we wouldn't have lost Matt or Andre if Travis were here. If that's the case, we would have been very good last year (with Grant and Shepherd), and good this year. Plus Travis would have recruited way better than this staff. And his Xs and Os are from the Monty tree. That means a functioning half court offense. GTFO Knowlton.
bipolarbear
It's time for torches and pitchforks!
TummyoftheGB
Not only that, but why the heck should it matter whether someone interviews well with Knowlton or the search firm. What matters most of all for this job is whether someone "interviews" well with the players, and we all know that Fox was a spectacular and catastrophic failure in that regard. This hire was just abject failure in all respects, from the very outset.
The academic bureaucratic tendency is to continue to try to make bad decisions work somehow. (I say all this as someone who has significant experience in academic searches.) But at some point (i.e. NOW) continuing to throw good money after bad becomes an unacceptable option. It seems really crazy to me that an announcement hasn't been made, but i can only optimistically assume that Knowlton is activitely solidifying the details of the interim/replacement deal prior to announcing the firing of Fox.

Big Dog
"Why not?"

Ans: covid, of course. (just ask JK.)
parentswerebears
Every day, I wake up with hope and by midday it is dashed because there is still a fox in the Haas.
southseasbear
parentswerebears said:

Every day, I wake up with hope and by midday it is dashed because there is still a fox in the Haas.
Me too. I check this Board at least 3 times a day: morning, midday, evening. Always hoping and expecting to see news; always coming away disappointed and bewildered.

Maybe our brilliant athletic director is prepared for us to lose every (or almost every) game this season, so the next coach (determined by a consultant) can look good even by winning only a handful of games.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
CalLifer
parentswerebears said:

To misquote Kirk Douglas, we are all Sisyphus here.
ducky23
CalLifer said:

parentswerebears said:

To misquote Kirk Douglas, we are all Sisyphus here.

To quote Michael Douglas, if this guy owned a funeral parlor nobody would die
bruab2
I keep checking this site everyday to see if Fox is gone.

What is the hold up?
Oakbear
parentswerebears said:

And I thought I was the only one lol
Big C
Oakbear said:

parentswerebears said:

And I thought I was the only one lol

Given all we know about Cal, Knowlton, Fox and the situation in general, I'd be surprised if Fox gets canned during the season (barring obvious further deterioration... and we are already near-bottom). Thus, I just come here for the shrewd insights and observations of the BI posters and staff.
RJABear
TummyoftheGB said:

....... , but i can only optimistically assume that Knowlton is activitely solidifying the details of the interim/replacement deal prior to announcing the firing of Fox.

I assume that Knowlton is trying to do as little as possible and maintain the status quo .... He is hoping that Cal wins a few games so Knowlton can avoid (i) having to tear up the existing contract extension for which he is responsible and (ii) having to find a better coach.
calumnus
RJABear said:

TummyoftheGB said:

....... , but i can only optimistically assume that Knowlton is activitely solidifying the details of the interim/replacement deal prior to announcing the firing of Fox.

I assume that Knowlton is trying to do as little as possible and maintain the status quo .... He is hoping that Cal wins a few games so Knowlton can avoid (i) having to tear up the existing contract extension for which he is responsible and (ii) having to find a better coach.

Yes, it is why Knowlton will gladly latch onto and spread excuses: Injures, youth, lack of a dedicated practice facility, players not obeying, not working hard enough, others cheating, more things are important than winning….whatever they can come up with.
parentswerebears
calumnus said:

RJABear said:

TummyoftheGB said:

Yes, it is why Knowlton will gladly latch onto and spread excuses: Injures, youth, lack of a dedicated practice facility, players not obeying, not working hard enough, others cheating, more things are important than winning….whatever they can come up with.

Meanwhile, everyone else suffers- most of all the players. Poor guys. They deserve better.
tequila4kapp
bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

When he didn't get fired after the game where even the BI moderators publicly called for it and when many of us wrote letters…I don't think it is going to happen.

Fox must have compromising photos of Knowlton or something because we are WAY beyond the point of anything Knowlton does with Fox making sense anymore.
socaltownie
The parsimonious explanation is that there is not donor support for the buyout. It is potentially a million plus savings to wait till march....and one has to wait till March to interview mist candidates
Take care of your Chicken
Alkiadt
tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

When he didn't get fired after the game where even the BI moderators publicly called for it and when many of us wrote letters…I don't think it is going to happen.

Fox must have compromising photos of Knowlton or something because we are WAY beyond the point of anything Knowlton does with Fox making sense anymore.

You think Knowlton will fire somebody based on emails from internet blog sites or posts by the mods? Only if they're coming from the big donors, most of whom aren't on these blogs. There's a buyout and new money required for the next coach that has to be covered and will be by those folks.

Regardless, we'll have a new coach next season. This year was the year Fox had to make some progress. He obviously isn't, and won't. Everybody knows that, including Fox.
It won't matter if it is this week or near the end of the season. If this trend continues I believe it will be done in the mid-late regular season. And it will be an anti climatic necessity as we all know. Any "interim" coach will be just that, a placeholder until the new hire is picked.
sluggo
socaltownie said:

The parsimonious explanation is that there is not donor support for the buyout. It is potentially a million plus savings to wait till march....and one has to wait till March to interview mist candidates
How so? Since Fox's contract is guaranteed, he gets paid the same. You elevate an assistant and give them a tiny bump and a chance to audition for the full time gig next year.

The search has to include candidates who already have jobs, so it can't take place now anyway.
CalLifer
Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

You think Knowlton will fire somebody based on emails from internet blog sites or posts by the mods? Only if they're coming from the big donors, most of whom aren't on these blogs. There's a buyout and new money required for the next coach that has to be covered and will be by those folks.

Regardless, we'll have a new coach next season. This year was the year Fox had to make some progress. He obviously isn't, and won't. Everybody knows that, including Fox.
It won't matter if it is this week or near the end of the season. If this trend continues I believe it will be done in the mid-late regular season. And it will be an anti climatic necessity as we all know. Any "interim" coach will be just that, a placeholder until the new hire is picked.

You seem to have some inside knowledge, so I'm assuming you know the pressure isn't coming from the big donors.

I'm curious, though, do you think that Knowlton is actively going out to donors to make the case that Fox is awful, it actually might be good to make a change now to let the team and the department know this level of performance is unacceptable? Trying to make the case that the money is needed now? That every game Fox continues to be the coach is damaging the department's credibility?Or do you think he is doing nothing but twiddling his thumbs while Cal athletics burns down to the ground around him?
Alkiadt
CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

You seem to have some inside knowledge, so I'm assuming you know the pressure isn't coming from the big donors.

I'm curious, though, do you think that Knowlton is actively going out to donors to make the case that Fox is awful, it actually might be good to make a change now to let the team and the department know this level of performance is unacceptable? Trying to make the case that the money is needed now? That every game Fox continues to be the coach is damaging the department's credibility?Or do you think he is doing nothing but twiddling his thumbs while Cal athletics burns down to the ground around him?

I think my point was poorly communicated.
I didn't say pressure wasn't coming from some big donors. In fact I'm sure it is. Knowlton does not need to convince anybody of what's going on. But there are a lot of longtime, weary donors tired of supporting this. I'll bet Knowlton is feeling big pressure to make the change just to get some significant donors back on board if anything.

I'm sure everyone involved knows that without a miraculous turnaround and some well played basketball, there's going to be a change. I'm talking Fox, his agent and yes, Knowlton.
"Sending a message now that this is unacceptable" won't change anything for next year. It will lead to an interim coach, who will have to be replaced anyway. They will go outside of this staff next year. No currently working qualified coaches will publicly say they're talking to Cal about the job during the season.

Just like it was known by some that Musgrave and Angus were gone after the Colorado game. There is a professional courtesy, and all coaches know they'll get fired sooner or later. Like it or not, Knowlton obviously thought Fox deserved this one last year based on the situation and events of the past few years. It's not working.
CalLifer
Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

I didn't say pressure wasn't coming from some big donors. In fact I'm sure it is. Knowlton does not need to convince anybody of what's going on. But there are a lot of longtime, weary donors tired of supporting this. I'll bet Knowlton is feeling big pressure to make the change just to get some significant donors back on board if anything.

I'm sure everyone involved knows that without a miraculous turnaround and some well played basketball, there's going to be a change. I'm talking Fox, his agent and yes, Knowlton.
"Sending a message now that this is unacceptable" won't change anything for next year. It will lead to an interim coach, who will have to be replaced anyway. They will go outside of this staff next year. No currently working qualified coaches will publicly say they're talking to Cal about the job during the season. So just be patient, the program has sunk so low there's huge donor pressure to fix it.
Just like it was known by some that Musgrave and Angus were gone after the Colorado game. There is a professional courtesy, and all coaches know they'll get fired sooner or later. Like it or not, Knowlton obviously thought Fox deserved this one last year. And it's obvious it isn't working.

Thanks for the response. It may not change anything for next year, although I think you underestimate the further damage Fox can do to both the program and the few fans outside the paid boards that see no change as an indictment of the program and the leadership.

But I do think when things get so bad, there is something to be gained for this year in making a change. You do tell this years team that you are not giving up on them. I feel that that alone is reason enough to make the change. I guess I'm not sure why making a change seems to be so toxic to Knowlton.
Alkiadt
CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

"Sending a message now that this is unacceptable" won't change anything for next year. It will lead to an interim coach, who will have to be replaced anyway. They will go outside of this staff next year. No currently working qualified coaches will publicly say they're talking to Cal about the job during the season. So just be patient, the program has sunk so low there's huge donor pressure to fix it.
Just like it was known by some that Musgrave and Angus were gone after the Colorado game. There is a professional courtesy, and all coaches know they'll get fired sooner or later. Like it or not, Knowlton obviously thought Fox deserved this one last year. And it's obvious it isn't working.

Thanks for the response. It may not change anything for next year, although I think you underestimate the further damage Fox can do to both the program and the few fans outside the paid boards that see no change as an indictment of the program and the leadership.

But I do think when things get so bad, there is something to be gained for this year in making a change. You do tell this years team that you are not giving up on them. I feel that that alone is reason enough to make the change. I guess I'm not sure why making a change seems to be so toxic to Knowlton.

And that may indeed happen soon.
If it gets ridiculously bad (and it could with TCU, Arizona and SC coming up fast), and the Bears are being embarrassed with 30 -40 point blowouts….then you have to look out for the kids.
Even though they have lost to lower profile teams, the games have been somewhat competitive. After watching Arizona in the Maui Classic this week, it's scary to think how will the Bears even be respectable against them?
BadNewsBear1
Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

If it gets ridiculously bad (and it could with TCU, Arizona and SC coming up fast), and the Bears are being embarrassed with 30 -40 point blowouts….then you have to look out for the kids.
Even though they have lost to lower profile teams, the games have been somewhat competitive. After watching Arizona in the Maui Classic this week, it's scary to think how will the Bears even be respectable against them?
Everyone (except JK it seems) knows there's no way it'll be respectable against these teams. There was a post about whether Lars could make the NBA. Oumar Ballo will look like Shaq going against Bart Koenitzer when we play Arizona.
HoopDreams
the OP of the lars thread did ost the NBA question, but that was one person

i dont think anyone else felt he had a shot

lets not take it out of context

BadNewsBear1 said:

Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

Everyone (except JK it seems) knows there's no way it'll be respectable against these teams. There was a post about whether Lars could make the NBA. Oumar Ballo will look like Shaq going against Bart Koenitzer when we play Arizona.
BadNewsBear1
HoopDreams said:

Not really saying that anyone actually believes he could play in the NBA. Just pointing how ridiculous it is to have an over 100 post thread arguing whether Lars should play in the high or low post or could make money in Europe. Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

rkt88edmo
He needs to go ASAP, just gives us a better chance/more time to find an actual coach for next year.
HoopDreams
BadNewsBear1 said:

HoopDreams said:

Not really saying that anyone actually believes he could play in the NBA. Just pointing how ridiculous it is to have an over 100 post thread arguing whether Lars should play in the high or low post or could make money in Europe. Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Like it or not, Lars is one of our better players

But when he goes up against Pac-12 defenses and try to defend pac 12 posts it will be an adventure. Okofor doesn't look like a better option, and Lars is a better rebounder also

Still our shooting isn't going to get easier against pac 12 defenders who are longer and stronger run/jump athletes, and askew will have a tougher time driving on those defenses

So what are you going to do?
BadNewsBear1
HoopDreams said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

HoopDreams said:

Like it or not, Lars is one of our better players

But when he goes up against Pac-12 defenses and try to defend pac 12 posts it will be an adventure. Okofor doesn't look like a better option, and Lars is a better rebounder also

Still our shooting isn't going to get easier against pac 12 defenders who are longer and stronger run/jump athletes, and askew will have a tougher time driving on those defenses

So what are you going to do?
This is not anything personal against Lars.

You're right--I am disgusted by the fact that he's one of our better players.

We are we to do? ****can Fox yesterday, so we can hire someone who can recruit at a level that a player of Lars' ability never sees the floor.
bearmanpg
At least, if you dump him now, you can start recruiting players who won't sniff Cal with Fox at the helm...Stop the bleeding now. Behind the scenes, interested coaches, who are currently employed will let their interests be known.
Big C
BadNewsBear1 said:

Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

CalLifer said:

Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

bruab2 said:

What is the hold up?

Points for the Bart Koenitzer reference, for sure! (IIRC, 6-10 center for Cal in the mid-'80s who ended up transferring to Portland or Portland St. or somewhere)
calumnus
bearmanpg said:

At least, if you dump him now, you can start recruiting players who won't sniff Cal with Fox at the helm...Stop the bleeding now. Behind the scenes, interested coaches, who are currently employed will let their interests be known.

I would fire him after we go 0-9 after being blown out at Arizona and before the winnable game against EWU.

I would definitely promote Andrew Francis to interim and let him decide who else of the staff he wants to keep. If he holds the team together, shows chops as a game coach and things improve, including recruiting, then I'd consider him for next year. However, since we would be taking the chance it would need to be an incentive laden contract, very favorable to Cal. I think he is a potential high ceiling coach.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.