cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,270,037 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearGreg
CalBearsWinNC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow his mom looks young.
R.Hobbs
puget sound cal fan;842156772 said:

..and he remains committed to Cal--bless him. He'll be exposed to tough prep school competition, and, rigorous academic preparation, too. The thing I worry about is the exposure Monte Verde hoops receives to the top college teams in the country and the intensity of recruiting that entails. Maybe he'll recruit for the Bears.
Early signing period is in November so this issue should be resolved at that time .
Shocky1
puget sound cal fan;842156772 said:

..and he remains committed to Cal--bless him. He'll be exposed to tough prep school competition, and, rigorous academic preparation, too. The thing I worry about is the exposure Monte Verde hoops receives to the top college teams in the country and the intensity of recruiting that entails. Maybe he'll recruit for the Bears.

potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/distributor/scorer amhaad rorie is not a hidden gem tucked away by the bears bb coaching staff...with rorie's extensive aau summertime schedule with the northwest panthers, literally every major program in the united states has had a coach either directly and/or indirectly watch him play

there is absolutely no downside with ar's decision to attend montverde other than him missing his mom & vice versa...he currently has a 3.6 gpa @lincoln but montverde will be significantly more challenging academically as will the level of bb competition...no doubt amhaad's time mgmt skills will improve during the next 9 months before he enrolls in berkeley for cal's 2014 summer bridge program

will be interesting to see if amhaad can convince bears targeted big canadian chris egi (also just arriving at montverde) to utilize his 5th available official visit (harvard, stanford, washington & vanderbilt are his current 4 scheduled officials) on cal

only way amhaad doesn't end up in berkeley is if travis decuire joins the peace corps & leaves the country in the middle of the night...

amhaad rorie=perfect cal fit at pg

the grind#
summer breezes#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
calumnus
Big C_Cal;842156768 said:

This is already Cobb's 5th year. A medical redshirt for him would be one of those "almost unheard of 6th years" like Al Grigsby had. Not entirely sure, but I think a 6th year is only granted in the case of both extra years (after 4) being due to injury... and even then it's pretty rare, requiring special review.

Agreed, unfortunately he sat out one year due to transfer from Minnesota.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842146346 said:

ucla coach: hey idy, how's it going?

idrissa diallo: real good, coach, how are you?

ucla coach: man, it's been crazy around here, sorry i haven't called in a while...we don't have a single point guard on the roster for 2014 and if josh perkins bails on us, we are gonna have a real problem

idrissa diallo: hmmm...

ucla coach: if that happens we might lose to cal poly at pauley again and then i'll be coaching at northern idaho...say, would you follow me to northern idaho if that happened?

idrissa diallo: geez coach, i'm not sure, i'd have to think about that

ucla coach: no worries, so how's that busted kneecap doing?

idrissa diallo: actually it's a broken elbow and its definitely getting better

ucla coach: good, good...how's coach muddlebrook doing?

idrissa diallo: coach middlebrooks is doing great, i'll tell him you said hello

ucla coach: thanks, how's the family back in kenya?

idrissa diallo: actually my family is from senegal which is...

ucla coach: (interrupts)...yeah, i knew that...hey idy, i gotta grab this other call but i can't wait to see you wearing a bruins uniform

click

end of phone call

this is ucla basketball#

ucla isn't the only school with major problems at pg

usc lost pg jio fontran from last year's underachieving usc team...his 168 assists were a 100+ more than any other player...the trojans did not bring in a pac 12 level pg this year & like the bruins are frentically pursuing a pg for 2014 with only mclaughlin a valued prospect...i dunno, maybe coach endfield has a son who can play pg too

on the other hand, idrissa diallo's summertime buddy amhaad rorie will be joining cal in 2014

hmmmm.................

this is usc basketball#
CalBearsWinNC
Much respect to shock! I think we land Rabb.
HoopDreams
I think The Shockster's got it right re: Top 100 Amhaad Rorie...of course we can not and should not take anything for granted. Lots of schools will try to slip Rorie a line, but he sounds like a pretty solid commit to me....here is one hint...

And here is a comment he made yesterday re: Cal

Shocky1;842156967 said:

potential mcdonalds all american facilitator/distributor/scorer amhaad rorie is not a hidden gem tucked away by the bears bb coaching staff...with rorie's extensive aau summertime schedule with the northwest panthers, literally every major program in the united states has had a coach either directly and/or indirectly watch him play

there is absolutely no downside with ar's decision to attend montverde other than him missing his mom & vice versa...he currently has a 3.6 gpa @lincoln but montverde will be significantly more challenging academically as will the level of bb competition...no doubt amhaad's time mgmt skills will improve during the next 9 months before he enrolls in berkeley for cal's 2014 summer bridge program

will be interesting to see if amhaad can convince bears targeted big canadian chris egi (also just arriving at montverde) to utilize his 5th available official visit (harvard, stanford, washington & vanderbilt are his current 4 scheduled officials) on cal

only way amhaad doesn't end up in berkeley is if travis decuire joins the peace corps & leaves the country in the middle of the night...

amhaad rorie=perfect cal fit at pg

the grind#
summer breezes#

philbert
Thanks to the Shockster for providing the only offseason hoops coverage here on BI. :beer:
calfanz
The shockster

#MauiHereWeCome
Shocky1
wayne kreklow (ricky's dad & womens vb hc at the university of missouri, mom susan is the director of volleyball) told me "i'm not exactly sure what rick's 3 pt % was in high school...i'm pretty sure it was around 40%, give or take...i know he was always a "streak" type shooter...could miss 5 in a row and then hit 5 in a row"

"his rehab seems to be progressing well, although slow...it was a significant break and a lot of bone has to fill in...he had the screw put in last august and things were going well until he hurt it again before the first game of the la tournament...i think they were warming up to play drake...he said it felt really good and the last lay up he really tried to load up and jump and felt it "pop"...not sure if it was tendon, ligament or the bone at that point...a later xray (after the ucla game) showed the calcification that had taken place up to that point, completely gone and the break actually extended past the screw...the screw did what it was supposed to do (keep it from breaking in half), but it obviously was pretty painful...the good news is that the docs felt that the rebreak would actually help get a better result because the old growth was gone, allowing new, better growth to form...don't know if that makes sense, but that's what i know"

"he has been working out but is trying not to over do it...it is feeling better, just a question of how long it will take...he was encouraged becasue the last xray showed the bone was filling in...our fingers are crossed!"

"he really likes cal...like coaches, teammates, etc...we're very pleased he gets to be around first class coaches and teammates!...now sure what he's going to end up doing, but he has mentioned the possibility of coaching"

"hope we have a good season and injury free!!"

ricky kreklow=man on fire

50 yr decision#
the grind#
summer breezes#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public univesity in the world
mikecohen
Shocky1;842157833 said:

wayne kreklow (ricky's dad & womens vb hc at the university of missouri, mom susan is the director of volleyball) told me "i'm not exactly sure what rick's 3 pt % was in high school...i'm pretty sure it was around 40%, give or take...i know he was always a "streak" type shooter...could miss 5 in a row and then hit 5 in a row"

"his rehab seems to be progressing well, although slow...it was a significant break and a lot of bone has to fill in...he had the screw put in last august and things were going well until he hurt it again before the first game of the la tournament...i think they were warming up to play drake...he said it felt really good and the last lay up he really tried to load up and jump and felt it "pop"...not sure if it was tendon, ligament or the bone at that point...a later xray (after the ucla game) showed the calcification that had taken place up to that point, completely gone and the break actually extended past the screw...the screw did what it was supposed to do (keep it from breaking in half), but it obviously was pretty painful...the good news is that the docs felt that the rebreak would actually help get a better result because the old growth was gone, allowing new, better growth to form...don't know if that makes sense, but that's what i know"

"he has been working out but is trying not to over do it...it is feeling better, just a question of how long it will take...he was encouraged becasue the last xray showed the bone was filling in...our fingers are crossed!"

"he really likes cal...like coaches, teammates, etc...we're very pleased he gets to be around first class coaches and teammates!...now sure what he's going to end up doing, but he has mentioned the possibility of coaching"

50 yr decision#
the grind#
summer breezes#

Does anyone have an authoritative comparison with Cobbs' injury to the same part of the body. I've seen some comments indicating that Cobbs' injury was not as serious, but the comment seemed vague to me.
HoopDreams
that is a good report, although a little disappointing as it sounds like he is still severely limited. Not sure if he can shoot anything but FTs at this point, but shooters need to practice their jump shots, and he needs to be able to go full speed with confidence to be able to compete at D1.

of course he still has time to get better, and it's wise that he doesn't push it too early. Better to give it time to fully recover both for his long term health and to improve the probability that his recovery will be strong and complete.

Thanks for the report Shockster.

Shocky1;842157833 said:

50 yr decision#
the grind#
summer breezes#

south bender
Shocky, thanks.

It does make me wonder if and when, given the apparent rate of healing, Ricky will be able to play the game...

Go Bears!
calfanz
Essentially has the same injury.

Apparently the blood supply was poor to RK24's foot and there wasn't adequate healing before he put it to the test.

Justin hopefully has more time to get a strong bone formation there. I am not sure if they are going to use some type of extra splint to protect the foot.

Other treatments may include electric bone stimulation and ultrasound stimulation for faster stronger bone healing.

#healbears
#MauiHereWeCome
Shocky1

this is cal football#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842130606 said:

name: thomas welsh

class: 2014

gpa: 3.7 (at an academically rigorous hs)

height: 7'

weight: 240 lbs

position: 5

hs: loyola cubs (los angeles)

hs coach: jamal adams

aau: la rockfish

cal unofficial: june 17, 2013-1st visit to cal

cal official: tbd

cal connection: bears recruiting teammate max hazzard

family: bro henry is a 6'8" sophomore cubs teammate

college leaders: cal (offer)
stanford (unofficial june 15/16)
usc (offer)
ucla (offered by previous staff)
arizona
asu (offer)

welsh quotes: "he's (mr cranky pants) a great guy...i love talking to him...he talked about the double post system they have and about the campus and school...i've talked to cal probably the most...i'm looking for the best combination of academics and athletics possible"

shockster opinion: welsh is absolutely blowing up this summer & is the fastest rising big man on the west coast...as an elite student, i doubt he seriously considers schools with less than stellar academic reputations

stanford (dawkins will likely be fired after 2014) & usc (will the trojans guards share the ball like smooth facilitator/distributor amhaad rorie?) are his favorites along with the bears...cal offers the best combination of elite academics & a double post system that will showcase welsh's soft touch & hustle around the basket

thomas welsh & his family will officially visit cal on sept 14-15th during the electric ohio state fb weekend along with potential mcdonalds all american facilitor/distributor/scorer pg amhaad rorie

this will be both players 1st opportunity to connect with each other

welsh is considered a 2014 top 50 player/best center on the west coast & is the #1 bears bigs recruiting priority (malik pope is a 4 that can slide to the 3) on the cal war board

an important intangible is welsh's recruitment is that relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb was the 1st coach from a major conference to recognize tw's tremendous worth ethic & upside which resulted in the bears being the 1st big time program to offer

thomas has described the cal bb program as "a good fit for me"

the primary competition for welsh will likely be stanford, ucla, colorado, notre dame & usc with santa clara (older bro attends) & the ivy league as the darkhorses in his recruitment

the grind#
summer breezes#

puget sound cal fan
It sounds like Welch has the most developed back-to-the-basket offensive game, and is a "worker" in the paint, on the boards and on defense of the Cal post recruits. He's also a Center, which should be an asset. Sounds like a younger Eleraky?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842152485 said:

with no pgs on the roster for 2014, the bruins pg recruiting under alford is going nowhere fast

***amhaad rorie-commit to cal
***parker jackson-cartwright-commit to arizona
***josh perkins-parted ways with ucla today, heavy gonzaga lean (hc mark few attended all of his aau games this summer in person)
***robert cartwright-ignored by alford until too late, now waiting on stanford acceptance
***quentin snider-onetime louisville commit is an extreme ucla longshot thats indicated he's likely to stay close to home (ky)
***jordan mclaughlin-bruins safety dance pg is now a san diego state lean w/usc a close 2nd

apparently alford's riveting stories of playing under bobby knight 100 yrs ago isn't resonating very well with most 17 yr old recruits

hey but apparently there's a 5'7" pg at santa barbara cc that is very interested in starting for the bruins at pg in 2014...

this is ucla basketball#

ruh roh

-scooby doo

this is ucla basketball#
puget sound cal fan
The response from recruits: "Who's Bobby Knight?"
HoopDreams
Shocky1
the cal bb players including the monster class, coaches & staff are all descending back into berkeley for the fall semester as the last days of summer vanish

guess who just got back today?
them wild eyes boyz that had been away
haven't changed, haven't much to say
but man i still think them cats are crazy

the boyz are back in town

that ipod blasting out my favorite song
the nights are getting shorter, it won't be long
won't be long until summer gone
now that the boyz are here again

-thin lizzy

the grind#
summer breezes#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842152485 said:

with no pgs on the roster for 2014, the bruins pg recruiting under alford is going nowhere fast

***amhaad rorie-commit to cal
***parker jackson-cartwright-commit to arizona
***josh perkins-parted ways with ucla today, heavy gonzaga lean (hc mark few attended all of his aau games this summer in person)
***robert cartwright-ignored by alford until too late, now waiting on stanford acceptance
***quentin snider-onetime louisville commit is an extreme ucla longshot thats indicated he's likely to stay close to home (ky)
***jordan mclaughlin-bruins safety dance pg is now a san diego state lean w/usc a close 2nd

apparently alford's riveting stories of playing under bobby knight 100 yrs ago isn't resonating very well with most 17 yr old recruits

hey but apparently there's a 5'7" pg at santa barbara cc that is very interested in starting for the bruins at pg in 2014...

this is ucla basketball#

shaggy: where's the snacks & why is alford so creepy?

scooby: ruh roh

this is ucla basketball#
HoopDreams
south bender
Who's who, HD?
HoopDreams
roger on left, bird on the right

south bender;842160120 said:

Who's who, HD?
south bender
HoopDreams;842160127 said:

roger on left, bird on the right

Would have guessed Mathews on right...

Thanks.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842132153 said:

name: idrissa diallo

class: 2014

gpa: 3.2 (3.7 last semester)

height: 6'11"

weight: 230 lbs

position: 4 (could slide to 5)

nation of origin: senegal

hs: cathedral (los angeles)

hs coach: william middlebrooks

aau team: compton magic

cal unofficial: june 20, 2013

cal official: september 14-15, 2013 (ohio state fb game weekend) invitation along w/amhaad rorie

cal connections:
1) coach/mentor william middlebrooks has a longtime relationship with alan crabbe & family
2) 2014 facilitator/distributor/mcdonalds all american candidate & monster class leader amhaad rorie played with diallo in virginia...idrissa on rorie: "it's great playing with him...he's a good passer and i want someone (at pg) who is willing to share the ball and get it to me where i like it"

family: sportsman father played soccer, vb & bb...stands 6'3"
mom 5'10"
sisters in senegal (idrissa is very concerned about their futures in africa)
grandfather 6'11"

college leaders: cal (offer)
ucla (offer)
usc (offer)
colorado (offer)

weather preference: diallo, like the shockster, is a warm weather kind of guy

diallo quotes: "we (monty) talk and he seems to be a great coach...he seems to be great, great, great guy...he told me a lot about how he values relationships with his players...that's one of the things i want to see among the colleges, a coach with whom i can feel comfortable...after we talked, i got an idea of the kind of person and the kind of coach he is and how he treats his players...he also told me about the way that they play and it's a good fit for me...i can see myself playing for him"

diallo also speaks highly of relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb

shockster opinion: diallo reminds me of devon hardin at the same stage in his career when he left newark memorial for cal & eventually developed into the 50th overall nba draft pick of the seattle supersonics

idy is the most physically gifted big man on the west coast for 2014 but with limited experience and does not yet seal & finish (prefers low % fade aways)...he runs the floor well, blocks shots 2 feet over the rim and does not shy away from inside banging in the paint

the diallo recruitment may boil down to which college bb program will best feature & develop his post game skill set & what school's pg will share the ball with idrissa

idrissa diallo & mentor/coach william middlebrooks are moving forward in the recruitment process with the bears and providing the necessary academic records & transcripts for official acceptance to cal

idy is a strong student with a 3.2 core gpa & 3.7 gpa last semester...hopefully the cal admissions office will not require any schooling paperwork from his native senegal but that will not likely be the case

if acceptance/clearance is confirmed, expect an official visit shortly thereafter...

diallo is a 4 star elite physical talent with a current 2/3 star game...if gregg gottlieb & monty can work with idrissa on positioning/footwork to better seal & finish rather than low % fade aways, iddy's upside is tremendous particularly with distributor/facilitator pg amhaad rorie delivering the rock down low

idrissa diallo=devon hardin

the grind#
summer breezes#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (includng senegal)
parentswerebears
How does that process work. Do recruits do this paperwork for all of their finalists or just when they are ready to commit to one? I am intrigued.
berkeleyhigh91
Imagine if Devon had Monty coaching him instead of Braun...
south bender
berkeleyhigh91;842160769 said:

Imagine if Devon had Monty coaching him instead of Braun...

The first time I saw Hardin at the beginning of his freshman year, I thought we had a future Ben Wallace.

However, injuries aside, his development at Cal was so disappointing.

Another really sad, poignant woulda-coulda stories punctuated in my mind by Brook Lopez's absolute dominating him at Haas in (I think) DeVon's senior year.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
what are the most apathetic & disinterested fan bases in college basketball?

according to jeff eisenberg the national college bb writer for yahoo sports the 3 worst drawing bcs d1 baskeball programs last season were:

1. usc (4,243 avg)
2. boston college (4,244 avg)
3. stanford (4,530 avg)

at least usc has the excuse that their home games are played in an area that is perceived as unsafe...fight on

stanford has no such excuses...johnny dawkins has run the program into the ground by missing the ncaa tnt each & every yr during his 5 (five) yrs in palo alto and nobody's going to the games anymore

if they miss the tnt again this season despite the large senior class, jd will be fired immediately after the final game

if they make the tnt, there is a 90% chance jd will be fired after likely losing 20+ games in 2014 with an inexperienced team

johnny dawkins will be fired because his teams have never made the ncaa tnt, the fans just don't care anymore & because he's a humorless, really uptight control freak that doesn't relate well to human beings

the odds on favorite to be the next head coach at stanford is harvard's tommy amaker who has done a terrific job of building an ivy league powerhouse...unfortunately for bigs like thomas welsh, playing in a hybrid princeton weave offense will not develop their skills for the next level

crickets

this is stanford basketball#
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842160649 said:

How does that process work. Do recruits do this paperwork for all of their finalists or just when they are ready to commit to one? I am intrigued.

offers & admissions acceptance policies vary by schools

at san diego state, oregon & arizona and other glorified junior colleges with 90+% acceptance rates, a written offer from steve fisher, dana altman & sean miller is basically an acceptance letter subject to the recruit not currently being on death row...pretty sure that sean miller could get his neighbor's german shepard accepted for admission to arizona (subject of course to up to date vet records)

at cal, duke & stanford, an offer from the bb coach is subject to approval by the admissions office...at these academic powerhouses there are many factors that are weighed in the admissions process

players also need to be cleared by the ncaa...there is a ncaa chart that shows based on a student's cumulative core gpa what board scores they need to be cleared

how much is a cal scholarship worth?

john montgomery told me "a full scholarship includes tuition, books, room and board...for an in state kid a full scholarship is 28k-34k depending on if they live in the dorms or off campus...an out of state tutition costs anywhere from 51k-56k"

with a 4 yr 204k-224k scholarship to the #1 public university in the world in the cosmopolitan san francisco bay area, no wonder amhaad rorie's mom & sam singer's dad are smiling these days

50 yr decision#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842161372 said:

offers & admissions acceptance policies vary by schools

at san diego state, oregon & arizona and other glorified junior colleges with 90+% acceptance rates, a written offer from steve fisher, dana altman & sean miller is basically an acceptance letter subject to the recruit not currently being on death row...pretty sure that sean miller could get his neighbor's german shepard accepted for admission to arizona (subject of course to up to date vet records)

at cal, duke & stanford, an offer from the bb coach is subject to approval by the admissions office...at these academic powerhouses there are many factors that are weighed in the admissions process

players also need to be cleared by the ncaa...there is a ncaa chart that shows based on a student's cumulative core gpa what board scores they need to be cleared

how much is a cal scholarship worth?

john montgomery told me "a full scholarship includes tuition, books, room and board...for an in state kid a full scholarship is 28k-34k depending on if they live in the dorms or off campus...an out of state tutition costs anywhere from 51k-56k"

with a 4 yr 204k-224k scholarship to the #1 public university in the world in the cosmopolitan san francisco bay area, no wonder amhaad rorie's mom & sam singer's dad are smiling these days

50 yr decision#

the 204k-224k cal bb scholarship value specified by john montgomery should be amended to reflect that the following potential costs incurred during the maui invitational nov 25-27 are NOT included and hence remain the sole responsibility of the player(s)

***scuba diving class, equipment rental & date with the cute instructor for justin cobbs & richard solomon
***term life insurance policy for ziplining in lahaina for jabari bird & roger moute a bidias
***paradise cove luau bellydancing & flaming sword swallowing by jordan mathews & sam singer
***green fees for kapalua's plantation course for garrett galvin & david kravish
***camera equipment for whale watching powerboat tour for tyrone wallace & christian behrens
***new firewire surfboard for ricky kreklow
***bail $ for night club hero jeff powers

hau'oli la ho'omakika'i

truth in financial disclosures#
SFCityBear
calfanz;842156573 said:

1- Same Bone, different mechanism. Ricky's was a stress fracture, probably to an area with marginal blood supply

2-Both had screws placed, both were put on the same rehab schedule.

3- Hopefully JCobbs has better luck and better protoplasm than ricky.

#gobears

So when did Cobbs have his surgery?
calfanz
First scheduled for last Friday but announcement was made on Monday afternoon
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.