cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,274,412 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"won't feel satisfied until moms stops workin"-amhaad rorie

jay gatsby would understand & respect amhaad's heartfelt & unsullied love for his mother rhonetta thomas

boats against the current#
represent the bay#
summer breezes#
south bender
Shocky1;842131210 said:

"won't feel satisfied until moms stops workin"-amhaad rorie

jay gatsby would understand & respect amhaad's heartfelt & unsullied love for his mother rhonetta thomas

represent the bay#
summer breezes#

Yes, if he were not a phony and a figment of Fitzgerald's imagination.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
south bender;842131221 said:

Yes, if he were not a phony and a figment of Fitzgerald's imagination.

Go Bears!

southbender, i'm sure that amhaad's love for his mom is quite real & not a figment of anybody's imagination

you probably haven't had a proper introduction to sherlock holmes either...you know, old sport, if you had a more sunny disposition perhaps you would be invited to meet both gentlemen on the party circuit this summer

221 baker street#
they might be giants#
summer breezes#
south bender
Shocky1;842131249 said:

southbender, i'm sure that amhaad's love for his mom is quite real & not a figment of anybody's imagination

you probably haven't had a proper introduction to sherlock holmes either...you know, old sport, if you had a more sunny disposition perhaps you would be invited to meet both gentlemen on the party circuit this summer

221 baker street#
they might be giants#
summer breezes#

Shocky, I was not referring to AR at all, but rather to Gatsby.

Go Bears!
I would watch Newell's Bears at the then "Men's Gym"
Here's what I would see. This was the essence of our COACH:

Back then, nothing much existed as far as advanced scouting on a team coming in for two weekend games, say Ohio State and it's crack scorer, Robin Freeman. On Friday's evening game, Newell would essentially be seeing them for the 1st time. Cal would win by 1-3 or so points, and Freeman would get his 20 plus.

On Saturday night they played the 2nd game. Cal would win by 10-15 points; Freeman would get 10.

Vintage Newell. Once he saw what you had, you were history!
Shocky1
chemistry will b brewin' as potential (but only if he develops a yoga practice this summer) 2013 pac 12 mvp justin cobbs & potential 2015 pac 12 mvp jabari bird will be playing together on the bad azz bay raiders team in the sf pro am league (34th year) during dazzling summer nights in the city

the bay raiders 1st game is June 18th at 8:00 pm vs the bay city (rollers) & then again on June 24th vs the east bay (tower of power)

sf pro am website: kezar-755 stanyan at waller sts
parking is a BIG problem
admission is free

parking matters#
represent the bay#
summer breezes#
SFCityBear
1947;842131273 said:

I would watch Newell's Bears at the then "Men's Gym"
Here's what I would see. This was the essence of our COACH:

Back then, nothing much existed as far as advanced scouting on a team coming in for two weekend games, say Ohio State and it's crack scorer, Robin Freeman. On Friday's evening game, Newell would essentially be seeing them for the 1st time. Cal would win by 1-3 or so points, and Freeman would get his 20 plus.

On Saturday night they played the 2nd game. Cal would win by 10-15 points; Freeman would get 10.

Vintage Newell. Once he saw what you had, you were history!

Great post great story! Thanks.

I went to one of those games. I remember as a kid trying to copy Robin Freeman's jump shot form. I first saw him on a newsreel in a movie theatre. He was a fabulous scorer, averaging 39.5 ppg in high school, 31.5 ppg as a junior All-American at Ohio State, and 32.9 ppg as a senior, when he became the first player in the Big Ten to average 30+ ppg two years in a row, and OSU's first back-to-back, two-time All-American. He got drafted to the NBA, but severed the tips of two fingers chopping wood over the summer, and that ended his promising career. Still perhaps one of the greatest jump-shooters ever.

I looked up the games on Cal's website. Ohio State was ranked #11, and Cal did not have a very good team. It was Newell's first season at Cal, his worst, and his only losing season at Cal, going 9-16. Another thing to note was that Ohio State scored 63 points on Friday night, but was held to 50 points on Saturday night. That also illustrates what great physical shape Newell's teams were in. They usually had more stamina than any team they faced. They had to be, because they only played back to back games Friday and Saturday nights, and Newell hardly ever called timeouts.

:gobears:
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842131373 said:

chemistry will b brewin' as potential (but only if he develops a yoga practice this summer) 2013 pac 12 mvp justin cobbs & potential 2015 pac 12 mvp jabari bird will be playing together on the bad azz bay raiders team in the sf pro am league (34th year) during dazzling summer nights in the city

the bay raiders 1st game is June 18th at 8:00 pm vs the bay city (rollers) & then again on June 24th vs the east bay (tower of power)

sf pro am website: kezar-755 stanyan at waller sts
parking is a BIG problem
admission is free

parking matters#
represent the bay#
summer breezes#

Shocky,

The SF Pro AM thanks you for the plug. As to your projections on future Cal PAC12 MVP's, I wish we could not produce so many MVP's, but instead start producing some GREAT TEAMS.

The Bay Raiders, in addition to Bird and Cobbs, also have Langston Walker of OSU, and De'End Parker.

Some other players of interest in the league:

Aaron Gordon (AZ) and Robbie Lemons and Andrew Zimmerman(both Stanford) on the Bay Pride.

Desmond Simmons (UW), Dominic Artis (Oregon), John Bryant, John Tofi, Ike Ikoye are on the SF City team.

Josh Heustis and John Gage (both Stanford) on the Oakland Believers.

Tyreke Evans, and the fabulous showboat and MVP, Kiwi Gardner, are on the Dream Team. (Just messin' with you, Tsubamoto)

Full rosters and complete schedule are available on the league website:

http://www.sanfranciscoproam.com/

The games are fun, but I'd caution anyone attending not to expect a player to show up just because they are on the roster. Last season, Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace, and Kahlil Johnson were on team rosters, but none of them ever played a game. Harper Kamp played only one game. Cobbs and Thurman played in all their games, and Solomon and Kreklow missed only one game. Still, the games are a chance to see the players play in front of a crowd that is mostly families and friends of the players, like a high school or JC game.

Parking is not, contrary to popular belief, a big problem. There is plenty of parking along Kezar Drive, inside Golden Gate Park, alongside Kezar Stadium and further west. It will leave you with a walk of 1-2 blocks to the Kezar Pavilion.

Shocky1
SFCityBear;842131410 said:

Shocky,

The SF Pro AM thanks you for the plug. As to your projections on future Cal PAC12 MVP's, I wish we could not produce so many MVP's, but instead start producing some GREAT TEAMS.

The Bay Raiders, in addition to Bird and Cobbs, also have Langston Walker of OSU, and De'End Parker.

Some other players of interest in the league:

Aaron Gordon (AZ) and Robbie Lemons and Andrew Zimmerman(both Stanford) on the Bay Pride.

Desmond Simmons (UW), Dominic Artis (Oregon), John Bryant, John Tofi, Ike Ikoye are on the SF City team.

Josh Heustis and John Gage (both Stanford) on the Oakland Believers.

Tyreke Evans, and the fabulous showboat and MVP, Kiwi Gardner, are on the Dream Team. (Just messin' with you, Tsubamoto)

Full rosters and complete schedule are available on the league website:

http://www.sanfranciscoproam.com/

The games are fun, but I'd caution anyone attending not to expect a player to show up just because they are on the roster. Last season, Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace, and Kahlil Johnson were on team rosters, but none of them ever played a game. Harper Kamp played only one game. Cobbs and Thurman played in all their games, and Solomon and Kreklow missed only one game. Still, the games are a chance to see the players play in front of a crowd that is mostly families and friends of the players, like a high school or JC game.

Parking is not, contrary to popular belief, a big problem. There is plenty of parking along Kezar Drive, inside Golden Gate Park, alongside Kezar Stadium and further west. It will leave you with a walk of 1-2 blocks to the Kezar Pavilion.

hey sfcity, no more deadends

cal>>>ucla>>>>>usf>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cal state san marcos

also appreciate your parking tips near kezar...and your generous offer to all bears fans to 100% reimburse them for any and all potential parking tickets issues by sfpd is beyond the call of duty

sfcitybear=jay gatsby of cal bb
SFCityBear
Shocky1;842131688 said:

hey sfcity, no more deadends

cal>>>ucla>>>>>usf>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cal state san marcos

also appreciate your parking tips near kezar...and your generous offer to all bears fans to 100% reimburse them for any and all potential parking tickets issues by sfpd is beyond the call of duty

sfcitybear=jay gatsby of cal bb

Shocky1,

I just fell in love with the name. It was his mother, after giving birth to 10+ children or something, declared "You is De'End"! And it came to pass. A sweet lady, who went through the same hospital cardiac rehab class that I did.

Not to worry about the parking, Shocky. Kezar Drive has no parking meters, and we don't enforce most of our meters after 6PM anyway. (Not yet anyway. There is a proposal before the Board of Supes to put parking meters in Golden Gate Park, and another proposal to enforce all meters at night. Meters near the port facilities or at Fisheman's Wharf are already enforced at night. Further bulletins as they break.) Be careful if you do use our parking meters on Sundays. We enforce them on Sundays now. I know this, because one Sunday, I pulled up in front of Walgreen's and looked at the sign on a pole. It said nothing about Sunday. I looked on the meter itself. "Mon-Sat", it said in two places. I parked and went into the store. 3 minutes later, I came out and had a $65 ticket on the windshield. I chased down the meter maid, and he said there was a decal on the meter. I went back, and there was a little decal about the size of a quarter stuck to the back of the meter, "Meters enforced on Sundays". Lovely.

On Father's day, Sunday, my cousin, a former Golden Bear baseball player, brought his entire tribe to the city for some fun. Three cars. Two of the cars got $65 parking tickets.

Puzzled by the Gatsby reference. Born poor, but unlike, Gatsby, I found out early there are lot of things more important than becoming rich, and was unwilling to do the things you have to do to get there. I'm a Pete Newell fan, remember? And I never met a woman with money who I was attracted to, thank God. You may get access to money, but you will have to pay, and boy, will you pay. Nothing in life is free, Shocky ol' boy.

SFCB

Shocky1
Shocky1;842126863 said:

sfcb, an integral part of the magic of playing prairie dunes is that after putting out on a green the next tee box is only a few steps away (the best courses in the world share this routing characteristic...as a former caddie at sfgc, i never ride in an evil golfcart prefering to enjoy the game the way it should be played, on foot)

with no gaps between holes, there is absolutely no room at prairie dunes for additional back tees to extend the yardage beyond 6,700...with howling heartland winds there is no need either for further back tees

my special day at prairie dunes included walking 36 holes with my bag over my shoulder only stopping for a quick cheeseburger & apple slices at lunch...with a late night flight out of wichita & a little time to kill i searched out the gm & director of golf (as a golf digest rating panelist i am comped at virtually every course in the world) to thank them for their wonderful hospitality and also to see if it would be ok for me to take a quick swim in the club's pool

but they were both gone for the day with only a couple of cars still left in the parking lot...the asst pro closing up told me that it would be fine to go swimming before driving back to wichita & gave me their biz cards so i could mail them handwritten thank you letters

so i went for a cool dip with the muggy summer heat drying me off quickly upon exiting the pool...upon returning to the clubhouse to change in the men's locker room i came upon 2 suntanned mid 20s girls making out on the bench by my travel bag...the brunette was topless & her blonde friend was naked...funny, but i can still remember how they were both still wearing sparkly forever 21 sandals (which i thought was odd considering their lack of other clothing) and that the brunette had large silver hoop earrings and the blonde a small gold navel ring

summer breezes#

neither the brunette or the blonde had any visible tan lines...
Shocky1
Shocky1;842131087 said:

to celebrate the special day, a roaring golden bears shout out to the father of cal basketball, peter francis newell

while i never met mr newell or saw his teams play, his legacy as the california hc of the 1959 national championship & 1960 national runner up teams serves as an inspiration to the current bears & coaches regarding their vast potential at the #1 ranked public university in the world

bobby knight said it best, "he was as good as anybody who's ever coached the game"

peter francis newell: father of cal basketball#
1959 california golden bears national championship team#

the most interesting man in the world (kevin) told me:

"newell not calling timeouts was not a new thing in those days...but with newell it became a tactic, as he felt the first coach to call timeout in a game was the first to show weakness or he was losing confidence in his players...the first time he beat john wooded and ucla it was a very close game and neither one called a timeout untill finally with 3 or 4 minutes to go...wooden cracked and called the first one...newell, at the point, knew he had him...game over

with newell, he had his team so well prepared that they were ready to make any adjustment necessary themselves during the game...the timeouts were not as necessary as they are today

now there are so many timeouts, many mandated by tv and the ncaa, and the rest left to the coaches and there are so many coaches...rene herrerias, newell's assistant, when looking at the modern game asked, "what do all those coaches do on the bench?...they can't possibly have much of an impact on the outcome of the game...they should break out a deck and play some cards or something"...i used to think it was hilarious under ben braun when he would call timeout and then spend nearly the entire timeout discussing things with his numerous assistants...as least monty spends most of his time with the players in a timeout"

"a good man" by bruce jenkins re: mr newell should be required reading for the monster class

peter francis newell: father of cal basketball#
1959 california golden bears national championship team#
Shocky1
check out the june 3rd slam online feature interview with jb by ryan jones with fierce & dramatically lit photography by etiba jefferson

jb's introspectively honest self evaluation results in his recognition that "at times i'm kind of lazy out there, taking possessions off...it's just a question of me going out and doing what i have to do"...these comments confirm sfcitybear's pro am scouting report re: jb's lackluster rebounding & d...no doubt the bears will see vast strides of improvement in these 2 critical areas from our mcdonalds all american

regarding jb's reppin the bay, "i like staying close to home so my friends and family can see me and i feel my style of play really fits their system"

ivan, what are your priorities?

#5 jason kidd
#44 leon powe
#23 jabari bird

mom matters#
Shocky1
name: idrissa diallo

class: 2014

gpa: 3.4 (3.7 last semester)

height: 6'11"

weight: 230 lbs

position: 4

nation of origin: senegal

hs: cathedral (los angeles)

hs coach: william middlebrooks

aau team: compton magic

cal unofficial: june 20, 2013

cal official: october 19, 2013 with mentor willliam middlebrooks & parents flying in from sengegal

cal connections:
1) coach/mentor william middlebrooks has a longtime relationship with alan crabbe & family
2) 2014 facilitator/distributor/mcdonalds all american candidate & monster class leader amhaad rorie played with diallo in virginia...idrissa on rorie: "it's great playing with him...he's a good passer and i want someone (at pg) who is willing to share the ball and get it to me where i like it"

family: sportsman father played soccer, vb & bb...stands 6'3"
mom 5'10"
sisters in senegal (idrissa is very concerned about their futures in africa)
grandfather 6'11"

college leaders: cal (offer & commitment)
ucla (offer)
usc (offer)
colorado (offer)
oregon (offer)

weather preference: diallo, like the shockster, is a warm weather kind of guy

diallo quotes: "we (monty) talk and he seems to be a great coach...he seems to be great, great, great guy...he told me a lot about how he values relationships with his players...that's one of the things i want to see among the colleges, a coach with whom i can feel comfortable...after we talked, i got an idea of the kind of person and the kind of coach he is and how he treats his players...he also told me about the way that they play and it's a good fit for me...i can see myself playing for him"

diallo also speaks highly of relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb

shockster opinion: diallo reminds me of devon hardin at the same stage in his career when he left newark memorial for cal & eventually developed into the 50th overall nba draft pick of the seattle supersonics

iddy is the most physically gifted big man on the west coast for 2014 but with limited experience and does not yet seal & finish (prefers low % fade aways)...he runs the floor well, blocks shots 2 feet over the rim and does not shy away from inside banging in the paint

the diallo recruitment may boil down to which college bb program will best feature & develop his post game skill set & what school's pg will share the ball with idrissa

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including senegal)
smokeyrover
Shocky1;842132153 said:

name: idrissa diallo

gpa: 3.33 (3.7 last semester)

height: 6'11"

weight: 230 lbs

position: 5 (could slide to 4)

nation of origin: senegal

hs: cathedral (los angeles)

hs coach: william meadowbrook

aau team: compton magic

cal unofficial: june 20, 2013

cal official: tbd

cal connections:
1) coach/mentor william meadowbrook has a longtime relationship with alan crabbe & family
2) 2014 facilitator/distributor/mcdonalds all american candidate & monster class leader amhaad rorie played with diallo in virginia...idrissa on rorie: "it's great playing with him...he's a good passer and i want someone (at pg) who is willing to share the ball and get it to me where i like it"

family: sportsman father played soccer, vb & bb...stands 6'3"
mom 5'10"
sisters in senegal (idrissa is very concerned about their futures in africa)
grandfather 6'11"

college leaders: cal (offer)
ucla (offer)
usc (offer)
colorado (offer)

weather preference: diallo, like the shockster, is a warm weather kind of guy

diallo quotes: "we (monty) talk and he seems to be a great coach...he seems to be great, great, great guy...he told me a lot about how he values relationships with his players...that's one of the things i want to see among the colleges, a coach with whom i can feel comfortable...after we talked, i got an idea of the kind of person and the kind of coach he is and how he treats his players...he also told me about the way that they play and it's a good fit for me...i can see myself playing for him"

diallo also speaks highly of relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb

shockster opinion: diallo reminds me of devon hardin at the same stage in his career when he left newark memorial for cal & eventually developed into the 50th overall nba draft pick of the seattle supersonics

id is the most physically gifted big man on the west coast for 2014 but with limited experience and does not yet seal & finish...he runs the floor well, blocks shots 2 feet over the rim and does not shy away from inside banging in the paint

the diallo recruitment may boil down to which college bb program will best feature & develop his post game skill set & what school's pg will share the ball with idrissa

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

I think of Hardin too, though in the tiny amount of vid available it is evident (and underscored in comments by his NBA All Star coach at the NBATop-100 camp) that his face up shooting mechanics are far better than Hardin's ever were.

edit: Oh and Shocky, Diallo's HS coach is William Middlebrooks.

Shocky1
smokeyrover;842132178 said:

I think of Hardin too, though in the tiny amount of vid available it is evident (and underscored in comments by his NBA All Star coach at the NBATop-100 camp) that his face up shooting mechanics are far better than Hardin's ever were.

thx smokeman

spelling matters#
Shocky1
corrected

spelling matters#
Shocky1
ok, got it...sorry coach
Shocky1
good news...former member of the irish national team (rumors that the team would drink scotch & curse during timeouts are unsubstaniated) garrett galvin will be returning to the bears next season

gg racked up a 4.0 gpa at torrey pines (and also served as the blacks beach camera & photography club asst vp of special projects) along with a 19 ppg avg and this summer will be studying "industrial nations urban landfills and garbage (time)"

garrett is the runt of the galvin family (3 older bros) & played bb in middle school with cal recruiting target evan fitzner

john montgomery told me "he had a very good spring...he's got good size, a crafty handle, he's tough and a really good competitor...if he wants to see the court he needs to get more consistent with his jump shot"

jm also clarified that "don't know where frid is going...no other walk ons right now...we are happy with the 14 guys on our roster"

summer breezes#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842127548 said:

according to section 19, clause 69(ii)b:

any one and dumb candidate player that disrupts team chemistry and displays a consistent preference for jacking up 24 footers while developing their perimeter shooting/auditioning for the nba rather than scoring 25 ppg in the paint (and thereby helping their college team win bb games) is NOT eligible for the pac 12 most valuable basketball player award

hmmmm....this certainly explains why alan crabbe won the award instead of shabazzzzzzzzzz in 2012/2013 and why justin cobbs will win the award instead of ag in 2013/2014

clowns are stoopid#

according to section 34, clause 81(iii)c:

any pac 12 player that carriers expensive designer purses such as gucci, etc. is automatically NOT eligible for the pac 12 most valuable basketball player award

sorry shabazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

clowns are stoopid#
Shocky1
monty, travis, gregg and johnny are scouting & building deeper relationships earlier than ever during mr cranky pant's tenure as the bears hc

***ivan rabb@bishop o dowd-oakland: ivan's 3.15 gpa during his soph yr (started attending study hall twice a day, both before & after school) after a 2.5 gpa during his transitional fr yr at bod is much more impressive than his ranking as the #1 player on planet earth for the 2015 class...mom has gotta be proud of her son

***isiah thomas@bishop o dowd-san lorenzo: 3.0+ gpa, recent transfer to bod

***cameron walker@righetti-chatsworth: 4.0 gpa, ideal cal student athlete

***bennie boatwright@bishop alemany-mission hills: 3.0+ gpa

***chimezie metu@lawndale-lawndale: 3.5 gpa

***alex illikainen@grand rapids-grand rapids, minn.: 3.5 gpa

***max hazzard & henry welsh-loyola-los angeles: both are excellent students, loyola along with bishop o dowd & salesian are the top 3 high schools in california for developing true student athletes

2015 monster class#
represent the bay#
work hard, die last#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public univesity in the world
calfanz
So, thanks for the updates. The summer is long w/out CalHoop!

So what is up w/ @RickyKreklow ?

How's the rehab.

Is his foot healed? is he working out? should we get our hopes UP?

#mauiherewecome
tsubamoto2001
smokeyrover;842132178 said:

I think Hardin was a better prospect at the same stage. Better athlete and better body. I dont think Diallo is a 4 at this stage. he needs a lot of skill work for that to happen. Diallo is more like 6'9", too. I think he's very Bak-ian, but hopefully for him, he improves.
smokeyrover
tsubamoto2001;842132685 said:

I think Hardin was a better prospect at the same stage. Better athlete and better body. I dont think Diallo is a 4 at this stage. he needs a lot of skill work for that to happen. Diallo is more like 6'9", too. I think he's very Bak-ian, but hopefully for him, he improves.

Maybe Hardin was a better athlete and body (tough to say imo), but I don't think you can say that Diallo is lacking in those areas. He recently stated he's 6'11' 230 (of course that doesn't mean those are accurate numbers), but most who've evaluated him state his athleticism, frame, and coordination are what make him a high major target.

Diallo needs a lot of skill work regardless if he's trying to play the 4 or the 5. How many minutes he can earn at the 4 or 5 early in his career (even if he's just defending, rebounding, finishing drop offs and collecting garbage points) will depend on if they have decent scoring options playing with him in the frontcourt. I agree he hasn't shown much other than his potential right now, but for raw potential I don't think you could ask for more. He's a good student too.

As far as the Bak comparison...I don't see it.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842132628 said:

monty, travis, gregg and johnny are scouting & building deeper relationships earlier than ever during mr cranky pant's tenure as the bears hc

***ivan rabb@bishop o dowd-oakland: ivan's 3.15 gpa during his soph yr (started attending study hall twice a day, both before & after school) after a 2.5 gpa during his transitional fr yr at bod is much more impressive than his ranking as the #1 player on planet earth for the 2015 class...mom has gotta be proud of her son

***isiah thomas@bishop o dowd-san lorenzo: 3.0+ gpa, recent transfer to bod

***cameron walker@righetti-chatsworth: 4.0 gpa, ideal cal student athlete

***bennie boatwright@bishop alemany-mission hills: 3.0+ gpa

***chimezie metu@lawndale-lawndale: 3.5 gpa

***alex illikainen@grand rapids-grand rapids, minn.: 3.5 gpa

***max hazzard & henry welsh-loyola-los angeles: both are excellent students, loyola along with bishop o dowd & salesian are the top 3 high schools in california for developing true student athletes

2015 monster class#
represent the bay#
work hard, die last#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public univesity in the world

6'7" 185 lb 2015 4 star cameron walker & his dad eric ("my wife and i are big on the education front") will be visiting berkeley for an unofficial visit on june 26th

with an academically focused 4.0 gpa, cw is the perfect cal fit as an elite true student athlete & high flying impact player at the 3...cameron is a humble & team oriented player just like the bears last small forward future high nba draft pick alan crabbe & future starter at the 3 jabari bird

Shocky1
congratulations to:

***mike montgomery
***travis decuire
***gregg gottlieb
***john montgomery
***jay john

for their successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool of dumb azz ballers as evidenced by the recent bears bb apr of 955.. should be noted that it is not challenging to stay academically eligible at glorified jcs like arizona (90+% acceptance rate) or stronger private educational institutions like stanford or usc that do not flunk out their students after they're accepted (gotta keep the donor $ rolling)

the 955 apr is only the begining...with the roster of true student athletes listed below this # will likely escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these golden bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (awaiting nba draft this week)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle & nightclub hero
kahlil johnson-scholastic honor roll@price
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.6 gpa@lincoln/montverde academy

bears fans can expect every player listed above to leave cal with a diploma and/or a roster spot on a nba team (and hopefully those players will eventually return like shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to eventually graduate)

of the 300+ ncaa d1 teams excluding the ivy league & service academies, cal is among the top 3 schools for academically elite bb students alongside duke & stanford

if anyone can document a college with better academic bb student athletes than cal (other than the 2 schools listed above/ivy league/service academies), i will donate $5000 to a university of california educational scholarship fund of your choice in your name

SFBearz
smokeyrover;842132783 said:

Maybe Hardin was a better athlete and body (tough to say imo), but I don't think you can say that Diallo is lacking in those areas. He recently stated he's 6'11' 230 (of course that doesn't mean those are accurate numbers), but most who've evaluated him state his athleticism, frame, and coordination are what make him a high major target.

Diallo needs a lot of skill work regardless if he's trying to play the 4 or the 5. How many minutes he can earn at the 4 or 5 early in his career (even if he's just defending, rebounding, finishing drop offs and collecting garbage points) will depend on if they have decent scoring options playing with him in the frontcourt. I agree he hasn't shown much other than his potential right now, but for raw potential I don't think you could ask for more. He's a good student too.

As far as the Bak comparison...I don't see it.

Yes, he sure looks athletic on the videos and Cal really needs an athletic big to replace Solomon. I hope the staff can get him out of LA.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842130601 said:

name: evan fitzner

gpa: 3.0+ (at an academically challenging hs)

height: 6'9"

weight: 210 lbs

position: 4 with a perimeter game

hs: francis parker lancers (san diego)

hs coach: jim tomey

aau: double pump

cal unofficial: tbd

cal official: tbd

cal connection: played with garrett galvin in middle school

family: dad mark 6'8" played bb at stanford 1974-1978
mom cheri 6'1" setter at hawaii & pro beach vb player
bro bryce 6'8" bb, fb & vb 3 sport star
sis emily 5'8" 13 yr old setter w/upside

college leaders: cal (offer)
stanford (unofficial june 15th)
ucla (recruited by steve alford @new mexico)
colorado (offer)
oregon state (offer)

fitzner quotes: "he (mr cranky pants) doesn't sugar coat anything and i appreciate that...he's been around the game for a long time so i'm just happy to learn from him...he said he thought i did some good stuff as far as rebounding and blocking shots but we both agreed that i didn't shoot the ball really well...or at least as well as i'm capable"

shockster overview: with his elite ball handling & shooting skills for a big man (check out his video), fitzner more than any other 2014 prospect on the west coast needs to select the right program that will showcase his unique skills set...under the right coach, evan could potentially be the next ryan anderson...under the wrong coach, evan could be the next brendan lane

evan & his family are very academically focused...if he is offered by dawkins (who will likely be fired after 2014) & his 3.0+ gpa clears stanford admissions, his dad's alma mater might be the leader...cal offers the best combination of elite academics & a stable coaching staff that will best showcase evan's talents

ef attended washington's 1st ever alumni game on june 23rd on a rainy afternoon in seattle

jacket weather#
no summer breezes#
HoopDreams
uw pulled together a great recruiting event. they showcased their 10 current NBA players in front of 10,000 fans, and coach Romar even scored 11 pts in the 'Legends' game. 4 recruits attended. pretty impressive.

I still think Jason Kidd would draw a lot of fans, especially if running mate Murray would join him, plus current NBA players such as Ryan Anderson played. Benson would provide the comedy factor.

Shocky1;842133270 said:

ef attended washington's 1st ever alumni game on june 23rd on a rainy afternoon in seattle

jacket weather#
no summer breezes#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842133036 said:

congratulations to:

***mike montgomery
***travis decuire
***gregg gottlieb
***john montgomery
***jay john

for their successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool of dumb azz ballers as evidenced by the recent bears bb apr of 955.. should be noted that it is not challenging to stay academically eligible at glorified jcs like arizona (90+% acceptance rate) or stronger private educational institutions like stanford or usc that do not flunk out their students after they're accepted (gotta keep the donor $ rolling)

the 955 apr is only the begining...with the roster of true student athletes listed below this # will likely escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these golden bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (awaiting nba draft this week)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle & nightclub hero
kahlil johnson-scholastic honor roll@price
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.8 gpa@lincoln/monteverde academy

bears fans can expect every player listed above to leave cal with a diploma and/or a roster spot on a nba team (and hopefully those players will eventually return like shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to eventually graduate)

of the 300+ ncaa d1 teams excluding the ivy league & service academies, cal is among the top 3 schools for academically elite bb students alongside duke & stanford

if anyone can document a college with better academic bb student athletes than cal (other than the 2 schools listed above/ivy league/service academies), i will donate $5000 to a university of california educational scholarship fund of your choice in your name

this morning trevor the pool guy made his weekly visit

trevor is a mid 30s arizona grad who once told me (unsolicited) that he makes 14 bucks a hour + mileage and is absolutely adored by our rescue dogs happy & misty mae

making small talk, i asked trevor if he's had any good summertime reading

he said, "yeah, just read the rec league's fast pitch 4 page rules and regs deal on line last weekend"

i looked at trevor closely to see if he was joking...nope

summer breezes#
Shocky1
calfanz;842132645 said:

So, thanks for the updates. The summer is long w/out CalHoop!

So what is up w/ @RickyKreklow ?

How's the rehab.

Is his foot healed? is he working out? should we get our hopes UP?

#mauiherewecome

calmauifanz, still a bit too early to project ricky's 2013 role

travis decuire told me, "ricky has been back for a week...he doesn't start school for another two weeks...we will have a chance to work with him then...if he can get healthy he will help us at both ends of the floor"

summer breezes#
calumnus
HoopDreams;842133271 said:

uw pulled together a great recruiting event. they showcased their 10 current NBA players in front of 10,000 fans, and coach Romar even scored 11 pts in the 'Legends' game. 4 recruits attended. pretty impressive.

I still think Jason Kidd would draw a lot of fans, especially if running mate Murray would join him, plus current NBA players such as Ryan Anderson played. Benson would provide the comedy factor.

Mayor of Sacramento would be cool too.
SFBearz
Shocky1;842132917 said:

6'7" 185 lb 2015 4 star cameron walker & his dad eric ("my wife and i are big on the education front") will be visiting berkeley for an unofficial visit on june 26th

with an academically focused 4.0 gpa, cw is the perfect cal fit as an elite true student athlete & high flying impact player at the 3...cameron is a humble & team oriented player just like the bears last small forward future high nba draft pick alan crabbe & future starter at the 3 jabari bird

Big visit for Cal; Walker has a very good all around offensive repertoire and as mentioned is a great student. Stanford will be tough to beat for him and he has visited ucla and sc. Obviously he's a top target for a lot of schools as a top 40 kid...
Shocky1
Shocky1;842130550 said:

coach labagh also told me he's currently recruiting (24/7 which is just how jl rolls) another player (not sami) that the bears might be VERY interested in down the road...

no more deadends

lets roll#

it does not make sense for the bears to target one time cal recruit & kentucky transfer kyle wiltjer

at this time the bears have 3 schollys for 2014...jc, solo & powers are the scholly srs that will be graduating

amhaad rorie is a lock for one scholly...if sami eleraky can complete the ccsf course work & develop under coach labagh he's a strong lean for a scholly...the bears are also heavily targeting idrissa diallo & thomas welsh...imo evan fitzner would prefer to follow in his dad's footsteps to stanford but it isn't clear if his 3.0+ gpa will clear admissions

so the bears staff would really need to want kw in order to tie up a scholly for 2014 while he blueshirts before playing in 2015

gonzaga is probably his best choice from a player development standpoint although oregon & washington will be finalists too...on the other hand, wiltjer may realize he is not a potential nba player (his d skills are currently non existent) & just return to kentucky before heading off to europe for a potential professional bb career (hope he makes it because his kentucky degree will be almost worthless in persuing another financially lucrative career)

summer breezes#
calfanz
Shocky1;842133414 said:

calmauifanz, still a bit too early to project ricky's 2013 role

travis decuire told me, "ricky has been back for a week...he doesn't start school for another two weeks...we will have a chance to work with him then...if he can get healthy he will help us at both ends of the floor"

summer breezes#

From Ricky's tweets he says "getting Better" that means, better, but not "there" yet. Hope he is getting some top shelf medical care.

#stemcellsforbears:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo:bravo
First Page Last Page
Page 27 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.