cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,756 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842129057 said:

no doubt solo's mom sheryl, dad richard jr & 3 older sisters (including amra who played vb for the bears) love solo but must wonder how he can play like a dominating feral animal against syracuse in the ncaa tnt yet completely disappear during a tuesday night non conference game

a nba organization client of mine told me that solo has gone from off the grid to top 125 evaluation radar status which means a breakthrough sr yr could potentially play him into the 2nd round of the 2014 nba draft

gregg gottlieb told me that "we are expecting richard solomon to have a great year for us...he entered cal weighing 195 lbs and last season played at about 230-235 lbs...i think he may add a little more weight...ideally maybe he could play at 240 lbs...richard really does not feel comfortable with his back to the basket and his shot has continued to improve...we are still trying to improve his back to the basket skills but we will also try to get him to attack from a face up position...i think it could become a strength of his becasue he has very good first step quickness for his size...more important for richard is focusing on playing to win...that means defending, rebounding and being active in all areas of the game...when he competes like that we are very good defensively as a team...he has to learn how to stay out of foul trouble as well...these are all areas that he signficantly improved on during the season and it was a major reason we won 7 straight games"

2014 nba draft#
into the wild#
work hard, die last#

Solomon has been very slow to mature. At times, he's been stubborn, emotional, out of control, and must have been hard to coach. Alan Crabbe was easier to coach, and was willing to learn to be a better rebounder, defender, passer, and driver to the basket. Not great at any of these things, but certainly better in all areas since his first game at Cal. Solomon has improved, but far less. He often could lose his temper over a foul call, and take himself out of a game. He still can not keep himself on the floor, but he is getting better at it. His shooting touch has improved, and he is putting the ball on the floor less, which led to steals or getting tied up. Crabbe was a less excitable personality, and more mature than Solomon. As Solomon's roommate, I'd guess he was a good influence on Richard. Now Richard will be on his own, and he'll likely have a new roommate. As a senior, it may have to be him who influences a younger player, hopefully in the right way.

If Gottlieb says Solomon is not comfortable with his back to the basket, that is just stubbornness, or they haven't been able to reach him to get him to buy into it. When a player is learning a new way to play, such as back to the basket, all he needs to happen is for some of his shots to start falling, and he will like the new way more and more. A good example is Crabbe learning to hit those floaters in the lane, often using the left hand. They started falling, and he began to try the shot more and more. (Maybe to his and the team's detriment, because he almost seemed to prefer that shot to taking his threes, and his three point percentage dropped well below his usual 40%.) The staff taught Harper Kamp how to play with his back to the basket, and utilize the hook shot. It was effective. Hopefully they will get through to Solomon and he can get rid of any fears or dislikes about playing that way. It's a great way to play, and can be loads of fun.

Solomon is a senior now, and has the athletic ability to take over a basketball game, or at least own the paint. It is time he realizes it, and does it on a regular basis.

:gobears:
"travis & gregg - 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM"

just saying from the bottom of my heart: NO THANKS!
puget sound cal fan
I don't doubt Singer can dunk. The videos show opportunities when Sam could have thrown it down, but I think he chose not to do so. Perhaps, it's a personal preference. On the other hand, I can't wait for DeCuire to help Sam develop his left hand when going to the hoop. His lefty handle is more than adequate so it's not like he doesn't have a left hand.
HoopDreams
Overstated in my opinion

Solo improved a ton and kept his head in the game
He is certainly an emotional player, but that goes both ways. He looked like the emotional leader on the team and the players looked like they responded to him.

SFCityBear;842129336 said:

Solomon has been very slow to mature. At times, he's been stubborn, emotional, out of control, and must have been hard to coach. Alan Crabbe was easier to coach, and was willing to learn to be a better rebounder, defender, passer, and driver to the basket. Not great at any of these things, but certainly better in all areas since his first game at Cal. Solomon has improved, but far less. He often could lose his temper over a foul call, and take himself out of a game. He still can not keep himself on the floor, but he is getting better at it. His shooting touch has improved, and he is putting the ball on the floor less, which led to steals or getting tied up. Crabbe was a less excitable personality, and more mature than Solomon. As Solomon's roommate, I'd guess he was a good influence on Richard. Now Richard will be on his own, and he'll likely have a new roommate. As a senior, it may have to be him who influences a younger player, hopefully in the right way.

If Gottlieb says Solomon is not comfortable with his back to the basket, that is just stubbornness, or they haven't been able to reach him to get him to buy into it. When a player is learning a new way to play, such as back to the basket, all he needs to happen is for some of his shots to start falling, and he will like the new way more and more. A good example is Crabbe learning to hit those floaters in the lane, often using the left hand. They started falling, and he began to try the shot more and more. (Maybe to his and the team's detriment, because he almost seemed to prefer that shot to taking his threes, and his three point percentage dropped well below his usual 40%.) The staff taught Harper Kamp how to play with his back to the basket, and utilize the hook shot. It was effective. Hopefully they will get through to Solomon and he can get rid of any fears or dislikes about playing that way. It's a great way to play, and can be loads of fun.

Solomon is a senior now, and has the athletic ability to take over a basketball game, or at least own the paint. It is time he realizes it, and does it on a regular basis.

Shocky1
Shocky1;842128792 said:

walked 18 holes early this morning (gotta beat the desert heat, golf carts are for fat boyz) at whisper rock as a fast moving twosome with one of the university of arizona's largest donors who told me this jay john story:

jay john's youngest son is participating at the wildcat's summer basketball camp and he tells his coach he lost one of his contact lens...since jj was the braintrust of the highly successful lute era, all play stops immediately while all the camp players, asst coaches, counselors & parents are on their knees meticulously searching the floor of mckale for the missing lens

finally somebody runs up to jj's office and tells him what's going on...jay leans back in his chair, offers a sheepish smile and says "he doesn't wear contact lens"

summer breezes#

last summer our family visited nyc

after walking 36 holes at winged foot west & east, i returned to the mandarin oriental hotel (awesome views of central park, rooms start on the 38th floor) to my daughters shay & taylor excitedly telling me that the hotel was offering free limo service to wicked (already had tixs) on broadway that night

really wasn't paying too much attention so i said, ok, that sounds good & complimented them on finding some value plays

so that evening as shay, taylor, their brother kyle & my current 1st wife kat playfully pile into the stretch limo, i comment to richard the driver that this complimentary transportation service thru manhattan's frenzied traffic is most appreciated

richard smiles at me and as we depart columbus circle says "ya mon, it is always free for the pretty ladies and your son but you gotta pay for your ride" and gives me a gleeful wink...news flash: dad ain't free

$200 later we arrived at the gershwin theatre on 51st st for wicked

free means different things to different people...

nobody mourns the wicked#
walk on the wild side#
summer breezes#
SFCityBear
HoopDreams;842129431 said:

Overstated in my opinion

Solo improved a ton and kept his head in the game
He is certainly an emotional player, but that goes both ways. He looked like the emotional leader on the team and the players looked like they responded to him.

With all due respect, I'd say Solomon has improved some things, and in many ways, but it's an exaggeration to say he improved a ton. I think we all tend to look at his last game and remember that one, while other games that were not so good fade from memory. It was Solomon's best game as a Bear, by far.

His first year, he showed plenty of potential. The second year was a disaster, as he got injured, got suspended for cheating, and finally was suspended for academic reasons. If we compare his last season with his first one, statistically, here is how last season looked on the plus side:

Minutes per game up 60% (15.7 min/game to 25.1)
Fouls/min down 7%
FT% up 25%

On the other side:

Points/min down 3%
Rebs/min down 4%
Blocks/min down 15%
Steals/min down 31%
Turnovers/min up 39%
Assists/min down 38%
FG% down 15%

Solomon's season was inconsistent. Much of this is due to matchups, but I'd like to see him a little steadier. He fouled out of 3 pre-season games. After that, in 12 of the remaining games, he had 4 fouls, and only fouled out in one of those, so he kept his head in the game much better. He had several good games. I count 14 of them where he got at least 8 points and 9 rebounds or so.

The Bears had a big problem last year allowing offensive rebounds, 11.6 per game, as opposed to 9.3 the year before. Solomon, Kravish, and Crabbe bear responsibility for most of this. UW got 20 offensive rebounds against us, while Solomon got only one defensive rebound. The same thing happened in the 2nd Colorado game, where they got 20 offensive rebounds, and Solo got only one defensive rebound. Against Stanford he got only 1 defensive rebound.

He fouled out against Drake in only 12 minutes of play. He fouled out against Wisconsin in 21 minutes in a particularly bad performance, where he really lost control. He did play well in several games down the stretch, and had less bad ones in that run. The only two I can think of were the Colorado game I mentioned and the last Stanford game where he fouled out, and did not play well. He saved his best for last, and the last three games, he just seemed to get better and better.

There certainly is improvement in the intangibles. His shot selection is better, and he looks better shooting the ball. He blocks out pretty well now. He is not trying to block every shot now, but instead concentrates more on his overall defense.

Statistics don't tell the whole or even much of the story with Richard. Where the big improvement has come is as a man and not as a basketball player. He is maturing now, when he wasn't doing much of that before. The academic problems are behind him now. You mentioned putting his positive emotions to good use, and his becoming a leader, whom teammates can follow. Those last three games were three of his best ever. I just want to see him put a solid season together, from beginning to end, because he still has truly great potential.

:beer:
south bender
SFCityBear;842129601 said:

With all due respect, I'd say Solomon has improved some things, and in many ways, but it's an exaggeration to say he improved a ton. I think we all tend to look at his last game and remember that one, while other games that were not so good fade from memory. It was Solomon's best game as a Bear, by far.

His first year, he showed plenty of potential. The second year was a disaster, as he got injured, got suspended for cheating, and finally was suspended for academic reasons. If we compare his last season with his first one, statistically, here is how last season looked on the plus side:

Minutes per game up 60% (15.7 min/game to 25.1)
Fouls/min down 7%
FT% up 25%

On the other side:

Points/min down 3%
Rebs/min down 4%
Blocks/min down 15%
Steals/min down 31%
Turnovers/min up 39%
Assists/min down 38%
FG% down 15%

Solomon's season was inconsistent. Much of this is due to matchups, but I'd like to see him a little steadier. He fouled out of 3 pre-season games. After that, in 12 of the remaining games, he had 4 fouls, and only fouled out in one of those, so he kept his head in the game much better. He had several good games. I count 14 of them where he got at least 8 points and 9 rebounds or so.

The Bears had a big problem last year allowing offensive rebounds, 11.6 per game, as opposed to 9.3 the year before. Solomon, Kravish, and Crabbe bear responsibility for most of this. UW got 20 offensive rebounds against us, while Solomon got only one defensive rebound. The same thing happened in the 2nd Colorado game, where they got 20 offensive rebounds, and Solo got only one defensive rebound. Against Stanford he got only 1 defensive rebound.

He fouled out against Drake in only 12 minutes of play. He fouled out against Wisconsin in 21 minutes in a particularly bad performance, where he really lost control. He did play well in several games down the stretch, and had less bad ones in that run. The only two I can think of were the Colorado game I mentioned and the last Stanford game where he fouled out, and did not play well. He saved his best for last, and the last three games, he just seemed to get better and better.

There certainly is improvement in the intangibles. His shot selection is better, and he looks better shooting the ball. He blocks out pretty well now. He is not trying to block every shot now, but instead concentrates more on his overall defense.

Statistics don't tell the whole or even much of the story with Richard. Where the big improvement has come is as a man and not as a basketball player. He is maturing now, when he wasn't doing much of that before. The academic problems are behind him now. You mentioned putting his positive emotions to good use, and his becoming a leader, whom teammates can follow. Those last three games were three of his best ever. I just want to see him put a solid season together, from beginning to end, because he still has truly great potential.

:beer:

Thanks, SFCB. I would not have guessed that in so many statistical categories Richard had shown slippage from his freshman year.

If you looked at his last 10 games or so last year, am guessing he would have looked better. Was it not during the win streak and after that we saw his improved, more impressive play?

Adding a minor quibble to the notion of Richard's "great" potential and his ability you mentioned in a previous post to "take over" a game, I would say Richard has to make a lot of improvement in his skills set to be considered a superior D-1 player. And I am surprised that in a team sport, that you of all people would talk about one man "taking over" a game. Personally I have an antipathy to that notion, since it is obvious that it takes a team to compete or win a game. And that "taking over" is a silly metaphor that exalts one player and denigrates his teammates.

Did James "take over" the Heat victory in game 2? Without the entire Heat team, there is no victory. Look at the input of Chalmers, Allen, Miller, Wade, and the rest. James was James, clearly the most valuable player. Still it takes a team to "take over" a game.

At this point in his career, Solomon's "taking over" a game? Let us be serious.

Go Bears!
parentswerebears
Question (relevant to the title of this thread). Where are we with our various 2014 targets? Seems like we are doing well with Welch. Fitzner? Dastrup? Diallo? Cheatham?
Shocky1
NYCGOBEARS;842129590 said:

Is this thread still about Cal recruiting or is it a Shocky's travelogue for the rich and not so famous? Shocky, I like your basketball related posts but quite frankly, who are you trying to impress?

oski
SFCityBear
south bender;842129655 said:

Thanks, SFCB. I would not have guessed that in so many statistical categories Richard had shown slippage from his freshman year.

If you looked at his last 10 games or so last year, am guessing he would have looked better. Was it not during the win streak and after that we saw his improved, more impressive play?

Adding a minor quibble to the notion of Richard's "great" potential and his ability you mentioned in a previous post to "take over" a game, I would say Richard has to make a lot of improvement in his skills set to be considered a superior D-1 player. And I am surprised that in a team sport, that you of all people would talk about one man "taking over" a game. Personally I have an antipathy to that notion, since it is obvious that it takes a team to compete or win a game. And that "taking over" is a silly metaphor that exalts one player and denigrates his teammates.

Did James "take over" the Heat victory in game 2? Without the entire Heat team, there is no victory. Look at the input of Chalmers, Allen, Miller, Wade, and the rest. James was James, clearly the most valuable player. Still it takes a team to "take over" a game.

At this point in his career, Solomon's "taking over" a game? Let us be serious.

Go Bears!

South Bender,

I was surprised when I dug through the statistics, because I felt that Solomon would have shown improvement in many of those stats, and instead didn't. Solomon in his first year probably saw more of his action against reserves, or in less important minutes of the game. Maybe that is one reason for better stats, along with opposing teams having very little film on him, and his weaknesses were not well known. As a freshman, he seemed to roam about freely on defense, often getting in passing lanes, or getting out to the perimeter to steal a ball, wheras now he is more part of a structured defense, and often is in a zone defense, with less opportunity to steal balls. The statistics are somewhat misleading, because we all can see that Richard has improved. He just looks better out there. He shoots better, makes better decisions, and plays more under control.

My apologies for going overboard and using the "taking over a game" description. What I meant and should have said was that Richard has the potential to be able to take over or control his position or area of the floor. Russell used to dominate the paint in most games (except against Wilt), for example. When a big man begins to get most of the rebounds, or several more rebounds than his opposing big, and when he shuts down that big defensively, and begins to block or bother shots of other players trying to drive inside, the center becomes a leader. The play at the center position, if you have a truly good one, can provide a catalyst to get the rest of the team going, a source of energy and desire to win. I don't say Richard can do this night after night, and he only did it in a couple of games last year. But he might be able to do it in a few more games next season. I would be happy, however, if he just eliminates games like the Wisconsin game from happening. He had too many games similar to that one last year. I think you can agree that the Bears are so much better when Richard comes to play, and plays well.

NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842129751 said:

oski

I posted a rash comment earlier after being offended that the Shockster would dare to visit NYC without paying his respects to me, NYCGOBEARS. It has since been deleted and I offer my apologies to Shocky. Three children and a wife will leave one with little free time in the big city.

One further comment though - As much as I like the Mandarin Oriental and its fine view of Central Park (as well as its proximity to Jazz at Lincoln Center), I must say that I greatly prefer The Carlyle. Bobby Short (god bless his soul), Woody Allen and great Cal alum Gregory Peck, who was often in residence there for many years, would agree. There is a reason why it resides in the wealthiest zip code in the world. #sublime luxury.
Shocky1
NYCGOBEARS;842129791 said:

I posted a rash comment earlier after being offended that the Shockster would dare to visit NYC without paying his respects to me, NYCGOBEARS. It has since been deleted and I offer my apologies to Shocky. Three children and a wife will leave one with little free time in the big city.

One further comment though - As much as I like the Mandarin Oriental and its fine view of Central Park (as well as its proximity to Jazz at Lincoln Center), I must say that I greatly prefer The Carlyle. Bobby Short (god bless his soul), Woody Allen and great Cal alum Gregory Peck, who was often in residence there for many years, would agree. There is a reason why it resides in the wealthiest zip code in the world. #sublime luxury.

yeah, yeah, ima up at brooklyn now i'm down in tribeca
right next to deniro but i'll be hood forever
i'm the new sinatra and since i made it here
i can make it anywhere yea they love me everywhere

eight million stories out there and they're naked
cities is a pity half of y'all won't make it
me i gotta plug special ed i got it made
if jesus payin lebron i'm paying dwayne wade

lights is blinding girls need blinders
so they can step out of bounds quick
the sidelines is blind with casualties
who sipping life casually they gradually become worse

one hand in the air for the big city
street lights big dreams all looking pretty
no place in the world that can compare
put your lighters in the air everybody say yeah yeah yeah yeah

in new york concrete jungle where dreams are made oh
there's nothing you can't do now you're in new york
these streets will make you feel brand new
big lights will inspire you lets hear it for new york
new york new york

greatest city on earth#
new york ain't tuscon#
HoopDreams
Cal's Monster Class rated 2nd in the Pac 12 by ESPN

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8685937/2013-pac-12-basketball-recruiting-class-grades
Shocky1
did you know that mixing diet coke with mentos will make you explode?

as for mentors, the monster class playahs all bring exceptional family support as they arrive in berkeley for summer bridge june 28th

***sam singer-dad is a highly successful attorney in miami...like his dad, ss will never be outworked

***jordan mathews- dad phil has amassed almost 500 wins as a hc...jordan is another high iq coach on the floor

***sean rooks-dad sean played in the nba for 12 yrs & mom susie was san diego player of the year...kameron can eat a healthy breakfast of whole grain bread & 2 poached eggs with peanut butter apple slices while mom points out the finer pts of boxing out & clearing the outlet pass

***roger moute a bidias-older bro luc richard mbah a moute was the 37th overall pick of the 2008 nba draft & currently plays for the milwaukee bucks...as a ucla grad, luc will be able to advise roger on balancing academics & athletics (and also illegally park)

***jabari bird-dad carl (6'8") played for the bears 1975-1976 and led cal in scoring 15.2 with a smooth 80% fts while being named co team mvp in 1976...dad can coach up his son on not sometimes taking plays off & the necessary s&c work that lies ahead of the bird on his road to the nba

one of the few disappointments of last season was kaileb rodriguez's departure from berkeley...presumably his dad lele504 posted on this board "hopefully he will get some mentoring, right coaches?"...good luck to kaileb at sheridan junior college in wyoming under coaches cj box & joe pickett

accepting mentoring is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength...a cal degree doesn't teach you everything, it merely awakens your realization that there is a vast universe out there (including the planet uranus) and that there a million things to learn, explore and be curious about in life...mentors are our guides in this discovery

mentors>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>diet coke & mentos
"i'm the new sinatra"

Shockster..........NO, there will only be 1 Sinatra.
Shocky1
1947;842129913 said:

"i'm the new sinatra"

Shockster..........NO, there will only be 1 Sinatra.

sinatra + the rat pack=old school
john lennon=imagine
lou reed=walk on the wild side
jay-z + beyonce=new school
lana del rey=perfectly chill

diet mountain dew, baby, new york city
never was there ever a girl so pretty
do you think we'll be in love forever?
do you think we'll be in love?

-ldr
"sinatra + the rat pack=old school"

NO Shockster..................old school= the best school....it got us here.....
Shocky1
1947;842129967 said:

"sinatra + the rat pack=old school"

NO Shockster..................old school= the best school....it got us here.....

my dad would 100% agree with you...my teenage daughters shay & taylor, not so much
Shocky1
"the eagle has landed"

5,472 miles later denmark's sami eleraky is living in a san francisco apartment with some of his new rams teammates & enrolled at ccsf for summer school

35 yr old ccsf hc justin labagh, the winningest college bb coach in the united states & its territories and former cal bb walk on, told me that sami played informally in the gym yesterday and that he's a bit quiet & obviously very intelligent

labagh thinks eleraky is a legit 6'11" (almost 7') & appears to be around 250-260 lbs...his strong upper body & less developed lower body will be built up by ccsf's 4 days a week s&c program...sami's optimal weight might be in the 265 lbs range

sami is very active & can "jump thru the roof"...like 99% of young bigs, he needs to learn to seal & finish...he will likely particpate in cal's open gym this december

justin's plan is for sami to graduate from ccsf in 1 yr (60 total units including barton cc units) via taking full loads at ccsf & on line classes too (ccsf limits students to 7 units during the summer & 17 units during the school year)...clearly eleraky is a highly motivated true student athlete & a favorable fit for the #1 ranked public university in the world

coach labagh's rams graduated 6 players to fully scholly rides to 4 yr colleges & returns 3 players...coach's philosophy on this annual chemistry challenge is that players are transparently recruited to a team game approach...despite his redunkulous 87.6% winning perecentage, labagh's teams don't produce 20+ ppg scorers...guyz wit starz who want to jack up off balance 26 fters like shabazzzzzz need not apply

the rams 1st game (they always play an elite team in their opener to set the tone for the season) is on friday night nov 8th at ccsf's home court...as the bears play usc in fb at memorial the next day, the shockster (i saw every play of cal fb in person last year) will be there to check out the rams & sami...bears fans, circle the date, nov 8th...hope sami hears a lot of go bears echoing thru the gym after every waldo basket

for those of us who didn't quite traverse 5,472 miles across planet earth to pursue a cal degree, let's appreciate sami's inspiring & relentless quest to become a golden bear

world wide waldo watch#
go rams#
summer breezes#
puget sound cal fan
Here's wishing Sami the best of luck in nailing down his AA degree, and successfully gaining admission to Cal to become a Bear. I recall Sami didn't play ball at Barton CC, did that preserve a year of D-1 eligibility?
puget sound cal fan
Makes sense since he's planning to play this season at CCSF.
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842129836 said:

Cal's Monster Class rated 2nd in the Pac 12 by ESPN

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/8685937/2013-pac-12-basketball-recruiting-class-grades

nice catch, hoop dreams

while this ranking seems accurate for 2013, once one & dumb ag b gon, then the cal monster class will prove to be the pac 12's best class over the next 2-4 yrs

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
arizona=#1 ranked college in southern arizona (ahead of the pima county school of bartending) for most grads in floor supervisor jobs at costco & best buy
Shocky1
randsom everglades hc claude grubair told me "sam is training hard and he never looked better...he will be ready!"

nobody gonna outwork s singer

unfortuantely coach grubair's raiders will not be returning to the cal bb camp this summer...this would have allowed sam's teammates to catch up with him & more importantly for the cal coaching staff to closely scout trey mourning (alonzo's son)...coach told me that trey is "currently 6'11" and growing"

work hard, die last#
summer breezes#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842120822 said:

good luck to robert frid at his next school

one of the challenges monty & co faced this season was the inability to run competitive practices with key injuries (kreklow, behrens & smith) & other guys (rodriguez & frid) not ready to play at this level

next season the bears will be 2 deep next for the 1st time in monty's 5 yr career at cal & this depth will result in significantly more intense practices

work hard, die last#

as of today the cal bb coaching does not know frid's new college destination...
Shocky1
how ya doin', j?

***grew up in oakland
***turned down kansas, kentucky, arizona & ohio state in order to play in front of mom & dad, his closest friends, family & coaches to represent the bay and play for the cal bears for 2 yrs
***nba all star & $200+m nba career earnings
***hc for the brooklyn nets

ivan-what's your destiny?

Shocky1
Shocky1;842130045 said:

"the eagle has landed"

5,472 miles later denmark's sami eleraky is living in a san francisco apartment with some of his new rams teammates & enrolled at ccsf for summer school

35 yr old ccsf hc justin labagh, the winningest college bb coach in the united states & its territories and former cal bb walk on, told me that sami played informally in the gym yesterday and that he's a bit quiet & obviously very intelligent

labagh thinks eleraky is a legit 6'11" (almost 7') & appears to be around 250-260 lbs...his strong upper body & less developed lower body will be built up by ccsf's 4 days a week s&c program...sami's optimal weight might be in the 265 lbs range

sami is very active & can "jump thru the roof"...like 99% of young bigs, he needs to learn to seal & finish...he will likely particpate in cal's open gym this december

justin's plan is for sami to graduate from ccsf in 1 yr (60 total units including barton cc units) via taking full loads at ccsf & on line classes too (ccsf limits students to 7 units during the summer & 17 units during the school year)...clearly eleraky is a highly motivated true student athlete & a favorable fit for the #1 ranked public university in the world

coach labagh's rams graduated 6 players to fully scholly rides to 4 yr colleges & returns 3 players...coach's philosophy on this annual chemistry challenge is that players are transparently recruited to a team game approach...despite his redunkulous 87.6% winning perecentage, labagh's teams don't produce 20+ ppg scorers...guyz wit starz who want to jack up off balance 26 fters like shabazzzzzz need not apply

the rams 1st game (they always play an elite team in their opener to set the tone for the season) is on friday night nov 8th at ccsf's home court...as the bears play usc in fb at memorial the next day, the shockster (i saw every play of cal fb in person last year) will be there to check out the rams & sami...bears fans, circle the date, nov 8th...hope sami hears a lot of go bears echoing thru the gym after every waldo basket

for those of us who didn't quite traverse 5,472 miles across planet earth to pursue a cal degree, let's appreciate sami's inspiring & relentless quest to become a golden bear

world wide waldo watch#
go rams#
summer breezes#

coach labagh also told me he's currently recruiting (24/7 which is just how jl rolls) another player (not sami) that the bears might be VERY interested in down the road...

no more deadends

lets roll#
Vineyardview
"justin's plan is for sami to graduate from ccsf in 1 yr (60 total units including barton cc units) via taking full loads at ccsf & on line classes too (ccsf limits students to 7 units during the summer & 17 units during the school year)...clearly eleraky is a highly motivated true student athlete & a favorable fit for the #1 ranked public university in the world"

This would be an ambitious plan for anyone let alone an young international prospect who previously, it would appear, did not complete a college preparatory curriculum at home.

It is now reported that he will attempt to complete a back to back to back max credit course load plus additional online classes as well as play an important role on the CCSF basketball team.

There doesn't seem to be much wiggle room in this plan. I wonder what the odds are for his successful completion of this goal of graduation from CCSF, qualifying for admittance to Cal and joining the 2014 - 2015 recruiting class.
Shocky1
Vineyardview;842130583 said:

"justin's plan is for sami to graduate from ccsf in 1 yr (60 total units including barton cc units) via taking full loads at ccsf & on line classes too (ccsf limits students to 7 units during the summer & 17 units during the school year)...clearly eleraky is a highly motivated true student athlete & a favorable fit for the #1 ranked public university in the world"

This would be an ambitious plan for anyone let alone an young international prospect who previously, it would appear, did not complete a college preparatory curriculum at home.

It is now reported that he will attempt to complete a back to back to back max credit course load plus additional online classes as well as play an important role on the CCSF basketball team.

There doesn't seem to be much wiggle room in this plan. I wonder what the odds are for his is successful completion of this goal of graduation from CCSF, qualifying for admittance to Cal and joining the 2014 - 2015 recruiting class.

the heart knows things that the mind cannot begin to understand

work hard, die last#
Shocky1
name: evan fitzner

class: 2014

gpa: 3.0+ (at an academically challenging hs)

height: 6'9"

weight: 210 lbs

position: stretch 4 with a perimeter game

hs: francis parker lancers (san diego)

hs coach: jim tomey

aau: double pump

cal unofficial: tbd

cal official: tbd

cal connection: played with garrett galvin in middle school

family: dad mark 6'8" played bb at stanford 1974-1978
mom cheri 6'1" setter at hawaii & pro beach vb player
bro bryce 6'8" bb, fb & vb 3 sport star
sis emily 5'8" 13 yr old setter w/upside

college leaders: cal (offer)
stanford (unofficial june 15th)
ucla (recruited by steve alford @new mexico)
colorado (offer)
oregon state (offer)

fitzner quotes: "he (mr cranky pants) doesn't sugar coat anything and i appreciate that...he's been around the game for a long time so i'm just happy to learn from him...he said he thought i did some good stuff as far as rebounding and blocking shots but we both agreed that i didn't shoot the ball really well...or at least as well as i'm capable"

shockster overview: with his elite ball handling & shooting skills for a big man (check out his video), fitzner more than any other 2014 prospect on the west coast needs to select the right program that will showcase his unique skills set...under the right coach, evan could potentially be the next ryan anderson...under the wrong coach, evan could be the next brendan lane

evan & his family are very academically focused...if he is offered by dawkins (who will likely be fired after 2014) & his 3.0+ gpa clears stanford admissions, his dad's alma mater might be the leader...cal offers the best combination of elite academics & a stable coaching staff that will best showcase evan's talents

Shocky1
name: thomas welsh

class: 2014

gpa: 3.7 (at an academically rigorous hs)

height: 7'

weight: 240 lbs

position: 5

hs: loyola cubs (los angeles)

hs coach: jamal adams

aau: la rockfish

cal unofficial: june 17, 2013-1st visit to cal

cal official: tbd

cal connection: bears recruiting teammate max hazzard

family: bro henry is a 6'8" sophomore cubs teammate

college leaders: cal (offer)
stanford (unofficial june 15/16)
usc (offer)
ucla (offered by previous staff)
arizona
asu (offer)

welsh quotes: "he's (mr cranky pants) a great guy...i love talking to him...he talked about the double post system they have and about the campus and school...i've talked to cal probably the most...i'm looking for the best combination of academics and athletics possible"

shockster opinion: welsh is absolutely blowing up this summer & is the fastest rising big man on the west coast...as an elite student, i doubt he seriously considers schools with less than stellar academic reputations

stanford (dawkins will likely be fired after 2014) & usc (will the trojans guards share the ball like smooth facilitator/distributor amhaad rorie?) are his favorites along with the bears...cal offers the best combination of elite academics & a double post system that will showcase welsh's soft touch & hustle around the basket

Shocky1
thomas welsh & evan fitzner consider the bears among their leaders in large part due to the trusting relationships built by relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb with both families

welsh indicates that the bears are the school recruiting him the hardest right now, "i've been talking to (gg) pretty often...i'd say probably once a week...i think it's a very good relationship...we're still building it but i think it's very good right now"

fitzner also speaks frequently with gg..."he's been giving me lots of tips and stuff...checking on my progress...he said he'd like to see me play harder the whole game...for that i've been trying to get in better cardio shape to where i can play the whole game...i really like cal"

gottlieb is a road warrior who will travel to northern west virginia multiple times to scout a 5th grader with a sweet jumper & 98% math scores...basically he's the college basketball west coast's mel kiper without the weird hair

summer breezes#
Shocky1
to celebrate the special day, a roaring golden bears shout out to the father of cal basketball, peter francis newell

while i never met mr newell or saw his teams play, his legacy as the california hc of the 1959 national championship & 1960 national runner up teams serves as an inspiration to the current bears & coaches regarding their vast potential at the #1 ranked public university in the world

bobby knight said it best, "he was as good as anybody who's ever coached the game"

peter francis newell: father of cal basketball#
1959 california golden bears national championship team#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842129022 said:

fergie-sipping champagne high in the sky...

amhaad rorie spent his final school day ever in washington on june 4th, arrived in new york for the 1st time on june 5th & is now heading to italy for a week of all star games against euro teams for usa team select

bonjouorno#
italian girls in high heels & short dresses on motor scooters are smokin hot#
summer breezes#

potential mcdonalds all american game candidate and elite facilitator/distributor along with high volume scorer amhaad rorie is taking 100% ownership of the bears 2014 monster class

amhaad is making inroads with both idrissa diallo & zylan cheatham

idrissa on rorie: "it's great playing with him (in virginia)...he's a good passer and i want someone (at pg) who is willing to share the ball and get it to me where i like it" (definitely think colorado's fletch would agree with that statement)

cheatham on rorie: "amhaad's a great kid...me and him bonded a lot (in italy)...he was a great leader on the court at pg...he makes players around him better...he talked about how he loves cal, how they're a loyal program"

represent the bay#
summer breezes#
south bender
Shocky1;842131106 said:

potential mcdonalds all american game candidate and elite facilitator/distributor along with high volume scorer amhaad rorie is taking 100% ownership of the bears 2014 monster class

amhaad is making inroads with both idrissa diallo & zylan cheatham

idrissa on rorie: "it's great playing with him (in virginia)...he's a good passer and i want someone (at pg) who is willing to share the ball and get it to me where i like it" (definitely think colorado's fletch would agree with that statement)

cheatham on rorie: "amhaad's a great kid...me and him bonded a lot (in italy)...he was a great leader on the court at pg...he makes players around him better...he talked about how he loves cal, how they're a loyal program"

represent the bay#
summer breezes#

Great news, Shocky. Music to Bears' fan's ears! If the depth and player caliber continues its apparent upward ascent, perhaps even SoCalTownie and 1947, to mention only two of the many skeptical and suffering Bear backer, will become sunshine pampers in the coming years!

Go Bears!
"relentless recruiter gregg gottlieb with both families"

OK Shockster..........but..........would be nice every now and then to see "relentless".............deliver an actual signed big man body to the Bears.

Is that a fair request?
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.